• Published 23rd Sep 2011
  • 21,611 Views, 541 Comments

Moving on: Silver Spoon's story - Hollyfern



one filly coping with moving on in life

  • ...
10
 541
 21,611

Facets and Flaws

Silver Spoon sighed happily as she rolled over in her bed. “Today is the day!” she giggled. “MY day!”

A faint scent wafted into her nose. A vaguely familiar fragrance that held a hint of vanilla in it. The smell was perfume, an expensive brand she recognized. No way... that’s Clive Canterson..! Silver Spoon opened her eyes and was greeted with two large blue orbs staring down at her.

“Good morning sleepy head!” The magenta filly squeaked as nuzzled Silver Spoon.

Even without her glasses, there was no doubting that expensive perfume, the sound of that voice and the color of her coat. ”DIAMOND TIARA!!!!!” she screamed, springing up and tackling her friend in a tight hug.

The two fillies’ laughter filled the air as they rolled around in a blur of pink and gray. For a moment, it felt as if everything was back to normal, as if the last month never happened and Diamond Tiara visited on her daily schedule.

“Happy birthday Silver Spoon!” Diamond Tiara giggled, breaking free of Silver Spoon’s surprisingly solid grip. “You could swear you haven’t seen me in forever!”

“Well it feels that way!” Silver Spoon replied, playfully nudging Diamond Tiara. “And I noticed you’re still wearing that perfume too!”

“Yeah!” Diamond Tiara nodded. “Daddy always brings me another bottle when one runs out.”

“As a matter of fact, how have you been?” Silver Spoon grinned.

“Oh, you know.” Diamond Tiara shrugged, averting eye contact with Silver Spoon. “The usual.”

“I’m so glad you could—” A light rapping came to the door, grabbing Silver Spoon's attention.

“Must be The Help at the door,” Diamond Tiara scoffed, in her usual condescending tone.

“Miss Silver Spoon, Miss Pinkamina Dianne Pie wishes to speak to you,” Seabastion’s voice called from behind the door. “Shall I send her away?”

Pinkie Pie? Silver Spoon tilted her head to the side. “No, I’m coming!” she replied. “Coming Titi?” Silver Spoon giggled.

Diamond Tiara blushed lightly at the sound of her old nickname. “Come on now!” she chided. “That is like so lame, I think I’ll check out your wardrobe,” the magenta filly waved a hoof dismissively, then disappeared into Silver Spoon’s closet.

That’s probably for the best anyway. Silver Spoon nodded.

Silver Spoon followed her butler out onto the balcony of the foyer, where she could see Pinkie Pie examining the house. The mare’s tongue stuck from her mouth comically as she looked about. “...Think I’ll need to make some adjustments to the cannon for this one!” Pinkie Pie mumbled, tapping a hoof to her chin.

“The use of ballistics are prohibited indoors.” Seabastion chuckled, distracted by Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie.

“Hi Silver Spoon!” Pinkie squeaked. “I was wondering, where are your parents?”

“The master and mistress of the house are out.” Seabastion quickly answered.

Silver Spoon nodded. “Yeah, just talk to either August Hoof or Seabastion.” She looked up to her aged butler and smiled warmly. They are kinda like grandparents at this point.

“Oh, Pinkie Pie.” Diamond Tiara’s voice rang from upstairs. “What’s going on, Silver Spoon?”

Silver Spoon’s eye darted between Pinkie, who returned to sizing up the estate, and Diamond Tiara, who approached via the stairs. “Uhh... Pinkie is planning my party..?”

“Oh,” Diamond Tiara shrugged, casting another glace upstairs. “That’s cool. Hey, wanna go shopping?”

“Sure!” Silver Spoon smiled. “Seabastion, if I have any other ‘guests’ tell them... I’m kind of busy at the moment.” At least until I can tell things won’t blow up between Diamond and the others.
---
“I hope those Blank Flanks haven’t been giving you much trouble while I’ve been gone, Silver Spoon,” Diamond Tiara said as the two trotted through the bustling Ponyville market.

“Err... n-no,” Silver Spoon replied, her eyes darting about for any sign of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. “No trouble at all...”

Diamond Tiara looked out the corner of her eyes; she could see Silver Spoon frantically looking about as if watching out for danger of some unforeseen sort. "What’s wrong Silver Spoon?” Diamond Tiara warmly whispered to make sure nopony else heard her.

“I’m fine,” Silver Spoon unconsciously answered, paying little to no attention to Diamond Tiara.

Diamond Tiara frowned up for a moment, then regained her public composure, pretending as if they never had the conversation. “Whatever...” she mumbled.

“‘Thilver ‘Thpoon!” a voice called.

Silver Spoon froze for a moment. The signature lisp of her friend was the last thing she wanted to hear at the moment. She could see Diamond Tiara beginning to turn around. In a moment of panic, she shoved Diamond Tiara into the nearest store, hoping to lose Twist.

"What was that about?!” Diamond Tiara barked, her cheeks burned red. “Why did you shove me into Quill and Sofa of all stores!?”

“What are you two doing here?” a tanned stallion asked as he approached his visitors, cocking a brow, his quill and sofa cutie mark instantly identifying him.

“S-Sorry Mr. Davenport,” Silver Spoon said, peeking outside.

“Ugh, you’re acting so lame...” Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes.

Davenport shook his head, confused by the fillies. “Just, don’t scratch anything. Then again, you two could afford anything in the store.” He chuckled, going back to his business.

Silver Spoon sighed, relieved she could no longer see Twist amongst the crowd. “Coast is clear...” she nodded.

“Really, what’s your damage, Silver Spoon?” Diamond Tiara whined. “I know something is up, are you hiding something from me?”

Those words stabbed at Silver Spoon’s heart. She mentally reeled back, wishing she never heard them. A cold chill traveled her spine as guilt settled in her stomach like frigid stones. I am... but... it’s for her own good, right? Silver Spoon turned and met Diamond Tiara’s gaze. She offered a false smile and shook her head. “It’s just that...” No matter how hard Silver Spoon tried, she couldn’t find a convincing excuse, rather a convincing lie.

“I’m sure you have your reasons...” Diamond Tiara sighed in an uncanny moment of clarity. “Thinking on it, you were probably hiding from that nerd.” She giggled.

“Twist!” Silver Spoon sharply corrected. “Err... at least if I remember right,” she quickly added.

“Oh. Yeah.” Diamond Tiara shrugged. “I guess.”

“How were the stores in Manehattan?” Silver Spoon asked, keen to change the subject.

“Oh they are totally more your thing, Silver Spoon.” Diamond Tiara giggled. “All sorts of weird little knick knacks and stuff,” the filly squealed.

“What are you so excited for?” Silver Spoon chuckled.

“Oh. You’ll se~e~” Diamond Tiara sang as she trotted outside.
---
True to her flair, Pinkie Pie managed to transform the main foyer of Silver Spoon’s home to a festive explosion of colorful streamers, confetti, music, and foodstuffs, complete with a huge frilled pink and white birthday cake in the centre of the dining hall. Enough for everypony in her class and then some. Definitely worthy of the pink party pony’s reputation.

The birthday song had just ended and Silver Spoon attempted to weed out her friends from everypony else, though the gifts in the corner of the dining hall assumed her attention more than once.

“The second and third floors are OFF LIMITS during the party,” August Hoof called above the crowd.

“Oh c’mon grandma!” Pinkie said, grabbing the aged mare. “Loosen up! It’s a PAR-TAY!!

August Hoof opened her mouth to object, then she caught sight of Seabastion mingling with some of the older guests. “I swear...” she groaned.

Where are they? Despite her efforts, Silver spoon couldn’t find her friends, Cutie Mark Crusaders included. Everypony from Cheerilee’s class seemed to be there, even Cheerilee herself. Yet no sign of those she held dear.

"Hey, Snails,” Silver Spoon called, approaching the gangly orange unicorn. “Have you seen Sweetie Belle or the others?”

The colt blushed lightly and shook his head. “Err... no, sorry.” He goofily giggled.

“Oh...well thanks anyway.” Silver Spoon sighed.

“Oh, wait, I think I might have saw Diamond Tiara upstairs, eh?... but, didn’t she leave?”

Her comeback must not be official. Silver Spoon giggled. “Alright, thanks, Snails!” She smiled, heading into the foyer. Snails sighed dreamily as Silver Spoon trotted away.

Silver Spoon arrived in the foyer and instantly spotted Diamond Tiara beckoning her to the third floor. The magenta filly disappeared around a corner. Most likely going to my room, I wonder why... Silver Spoon easily shrank away from the festive party, despite her maid’s rule to the confinements of her room. Diamond Tiara awaited with a huge grin on her face.

“You came!” Diamond Tiara squeaked.

"Well, you were acting a bit off,” Silver Spoon teased, sticking out her tongue.

“Whatever!” Diamond Tiara giggled. “Hey, I have a surprise for you!”

“For me..?” Silver Spoon gasped.

Diamond Tiara nodded. “Turn around, and close your eyes too!”

“Fine...” Silver Spoon playfully rolled her eyes and did as she was told. Within moments, Silver Spoon peeked over her shoulder, only to be met with playful scorn from Diamond Tiara. The magenta filly batted at Silver Spoon’s nose until she turned back around.

“I knew you’d try to sneak a peek!” Diamond Tiara sang.

“Oh, riiiight!” Silver Spoon giggled. “Can you blame m—eep!” Silver Spoon yelped lightly at the feeling of Diamond Tiara working her hooves around her neck, unhooking her necklace.

“Hold still...” Diamond Tiara cautioned as she worked something cold in place of her usual jewelry. “There,” she giggled. “Open your eyes and tell me what you think!”

Silver Spoon opened her eyes and instantly turned to her mirror. Much to her surprise she found herself sporting a whole new necklace altogether. A thin, silver necklace, donning a heart shaped pendant that seemed to change color the more she looked at it. “W-Wow...” Silver Spoon gasped.

“Look at the back of the heart! Look!!” Diamond Tiara impatiently giggled, bouncing in place.

Silver Spoon took the pendant in her hoof, turned it over, and read the inscription aloud: “Only the best, for my bestest BFF.”

“Sorry about the ‘bestest’ part, heh I may have gone a little overboard with it,” Diamond Tiara admitted, rubbing a hoof on the back of her neck. “Do... do you like it..?”

“I love it, Titi!” Silver Spoon smiled, hugging Diamond Tiara, then going back to marvel at her gift. “Just... wow...” The heart changed colors from red-orange to a deep crimson.

“According to this,” Diamond Tiara said as she looked over a scrap of paper. “You had... mixed emotions, now you’re excited!”

“Wha..?”

“Moochick Crystal,” Diamond Tiara answered. “They are all the rage at the new school I go to, but this one is one of a kind. Custom made.”

Maybe, just maybe, Diamond Tiara has grown up a bit, Silver Spoon silently hoped. She looked at the smiling filly before her and could hardly imagine her being so cynical and cruel.

“C’mon, we better make an appearance before your maid goes off and gives birth to a cow,” Diamond Tiara teased.
---
The duo made their way back downstairs, easily blending in with everypony like nopony ever noticed their disappearance. Ponies passed by offering their best birthday wishes to Silver Spoon. Though, she still noticed a certain group of fillies had yet to show. Silver Spoon looked to her pendant and noticed it was now gray. Anxiety maybe? she giggled. Maybe it’s for the best if Diamond doesn’t find out, at least not yet.

“I’m gonna go grab something to eat, what about you?” Diamond Tiara asked.

“Oh, you go on ahead,” Silver Spoon replied with a smile. “I’ll catch up later.”

“Ok...” Diamond Tiara shrugged before blending in with the other party guests.

“Hey! Silver Spoon!” Scootaloo’s voice called.

Silver Spoon caught sight of Apple Bloom and Scootaloo among the crowd of ponies. Luckily Diamond Tiara was headed in the opposite direction. “Hi girls!” Silver Spoon squeaked as she approached the fillies, only to notice they were a few short. “Where is Sweetie Belle and Twist?”

“Oh, they’re gonna be a lil late,” Apple Bloom answered. “They’ll be along though.”

Scootaloo nodded in agreement. “Totally, no way they would miss a party thrown by Pinkie, AND it’s your birthday.”

“Why, we wouldn’t miss it fer the world!” Apple Bloom added with a smile.

“Thanks girls.” Silver Spoon beamed, warmed by the compassion she felt from her friends.

“Now, I don’t know about you two, but I’M gonna go do some damage to that cake!” Scootaloo chuckled.

“Ah second that motion!” Apple bloom said between giggles.

“Well well if it isn’t my FAVORITE blank flanks!” Diamond Tiara’s cynical voice rang from behind Silver Spoon.

No no no!! Silver Spoon’s coat stood on end, both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo shot her questioning looks as their eyes shifted between Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

“These losers bothering you, Silver Spoon?” Diamond Tiara giggled.

“Ooh... I see what’s going on!” Scootaloo dryly chuckled, which sent a chill up Silver Spoon’s spine.

“So... you haven’t changed after all!” Apple Bloom snorted. “Still as snooty as the day ya left!”

Silver Spoon reeled back, her plan began to backfire. Diamond Tiara and the Cutie Mark Crusaders had met and already they were bickering, her whole world began to fall apart.

“Come on,” Diamond Tiara called to Silver Spoon with a crack of her tail. “Let’s ditch these LOSERS,” she scoffed.

Silver Spoon hesitated to move, the worst possible scenario now played out right before her and she felt powerless. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo both awaited a response from her, and the longer Silver Spoon took to decide, the more Diamond Tiara grew impatient with her.

“Hurry up!” Diamond Tiara barked, stomping her hoof.

Silver Spoon didn’t budge, she felt torn in two and didn’t know who to turn to. She clamped her eyes shut, silently praying to just disappear or awake from the nightmare.

“You can’t be serious...” Diamond Tiara growled. “Are you REALLY friends with those losers, Silver Spoon?”

Silver Spoon kept her silent vigil, looking down to the floor as if it held the answer to her problem. The gift from Diamond Tiara now seemed to mock her; it now resembled an empty black void.

“FINE!” Diamond Tiara cried, storming off in the opposite direction.

Silver Spoon followed behind her, desperate to try and make things right. “Diamond Tiara--”

“YOU’VE made your choice.” Diamond Tiara sniffed. “It’s obvious you want new friends... this is what I get for letting somepony get too close.”

“B-”

“I... I hate you, Silver Spoon!” Diamond Tiara cried as she galloped away.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom stood by, speechless and in shock. Silver Spoon was frozen, her eyes wide and about to water. She took a deep breath and composed herself best she could as to not draw unwanted attention

“S-Silver Spoon..?” Scootaloo finally said, cautiously approaching the dazed filly.

Silver Spoon slowly turned her head, looking to the two as if they were foreign ponies to her. She sighed, her heart suddenly aching as well as she hung her head. “I... need to go...” she coldly said, making her way up to her room.