• Published 23rd Sep 2011
  • 21,584 Views, 541 Comments

Moving on: Silver Spoon's story - Hollyfern



one filly coping with moving on in life

  • ...
10
 541
 21,584

Precious Gems

Silver Spoon sat in her room atop her bed, trying her best not to break down and cry anymore. Tears already soaked her face and the whites of her eyes were now pink and puffy. I deserved it, she thought to herself, worsening her mood.
Diamond Tiara’s words drove a spike through her heart. She was at a total loss as she stared down at the tear soaked floor. Her mixed feelings only made matters worse, namely an unusual pang of anger she felt at herself for letting things go the way they did.

The music from her party still echoed upstairs despite the guests beginning to filter out as the sun began to cast it’s final orange glow on Ponyville. Nopony really noticed she was missing; Apple Bloom and Scootaloo gave her the space she asked for.

The pendant Diamond Tiara gave her sat next to her on the bed. She couldn’t stand to wear it anymore. “I hate you, Silver Spoon!” those words echoed endlessly in her ears, tormenting and driving the fact that she drove away her dear friend.

The prospect of being alone seemed more and more inviting each passing moment. At least when she left she was still my friend...
---
A knock came to her room door. She silently whimpered, hoping whoever was knocking would just go away. “Hey... uhh... Silver Spoon..?” Scootaloo’s voice rang from behind the door. “C-Can I come in?”

Silver Spoon didn’t answer.
The door slowly creaked open, then slowly closed after Scootaloo entered. “Hey...” Scootaloo cooed, climbing into bed next to her. “I don’t exactly know what to say, but I’m not gonna leave you hangin.”

Silver Spoon looked out the corner of her bleary eyes and saw Scootaloo looking back, offering a weak smile.

“Oh, what do you know!” Silver Spoon sniffed, narrowing her eyes at the pegasus. “I’ll bet you’re enjoying this more than anypony!”

Scootaloo took a deep breath then sighed. “A few days ago, maybe,” she admitted. “I don’t know why you hang around Diamond Tiara, and honestly I’m sure you’ve got your reasons, but if she doesn’t want to be your friend it’s her loss!”

“You don’t understand...” Silver Spoon distanced herself from Scootaloo as far as she could. The filly rested her head on the wall and sighed. “Just go away, Scootaloo.”

“Well, I’m kinda trying here!” Scootaloo groaned. “Throw me a bone or something, GEEZE!!”

Silver Spoon didn’t reply, she already muted the pegasus out best she could.

"Alright, FINE!” Scootaloo yelled. “I’m tired of your little pity party already! I come up here and try to help you, make you feel better and I’M the one getting the cold shoulder?! Maybe you haven’t changed at all, you’re being selfish!”

“...Take that back...” Silver Spoon growled.

“Stop me when I’m wrong.” Scootaloo challenged. “You know I’m right.”

Silver Spoon hung her head, and chuckled lightly. “I can’t believe I’m being talked down to by Scootaloo...”

"And what’s that supposed to mean?” the pegasus asked, eyeing Silver Spoon. “I came up here because I didn’t want to see you going at this alone!”

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes. “So, it’s because you feel sorry for me?”

“Quit being difficult to somepony who only wants to talk!” Scootaloo barked, causing Silver Spoon to whimper. “Keep this up and I’m gone!”

“I-I guess...” Silver Spoon shrugged, wiping tears from her eyes. “I’m sorry, Scootaloo.”

For a few moments there was silence between them, an uncomfortable silence. Look at what you’ve done now... Silver Spoon scolded herself.

Scootaloo sighed. “That’s cool, I shouldn’t have let it get to me like that.” Scootaloo nodded, calming down a bit. “If you talk, I’ll listen. I’m not one to leave a friend hangin.”

Silver Spoon nodded.

“Good," Scootaloo nodded "Now, what’s the deal with you and Diamond Tiara? You two are real close, but you aren’t half as irritating as her. At least, not any more.”

I figured that would be her first question. “We are... were friends,” Silver Spoon began choked on those words. “Diamond Tiara is really special to me...” she added. “She trusted me... and I let her down...”

“How, exactly did you do that?” Scootaloo inquired cocking a brow. “From where I was standing she just over reacted.”

“She trusted me. I was her only friend, Scootaloo.” Silver Spoon sniffed, her emotions welling up again.

“Hey, don’t go crying on me again.” the young pegasus closed the gap between Silver Spoon and herself then placed a hoof on the earth pony’s shoulder. “Trust me when I say, tears have never helped anypony.”

“What do you mean?” Silver Spoon asked, curiously eyeing Scootaloo.

The young pegasus sighed and groaned. “I’ll bore you some other time alright? Right now it’s all about you.”

“Alright, thanks.” Silver Spoon nodded, a warm feeling building up inside. It’s a little odd seeing her care for me... “As far back as I can remember, Diamond Tiara has always been the way she is. I used to get bullied by her too, but I didn't care. My self esteem was pretty low back then...”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened as Silver Spoon continued, “And here I thought you two have always been friends!”

“No,” Silver Spoon replied, shaking her head. “It was by chance she ended up as my neighbor. Our mothers became friends and began going out, then Diamond Tiara and I began doing the same. After spending so much time around her I ended up wanting to be like her.”

“Why?” Scootaloo asked stifling a chuckle.

Silver Spoon reeled, shooting the laughing filly a dirty look. “You find something FUNNY?!!”

“Err, sorry,” Scootaloo uneasily smiled. “It’s just, from what you’re saying, you’ve always had some issues with being yourself.”

“What?”

“Seems to me like you’re always eager to fit in and be like somepony.” Scootaloo said with a shrug of her shoulders. “And, if that’s the case, were you really ever Diamond Tiara’s friend?”

“So, it’s like you said before,” Silver Spoon lightly smiled. “Don’t aim to be like somepony, be better than them.”

“Exactly!” Scootaloo grinned, pleased to be quoted on something. “Stick with me, kid, and you’ll turn out alright.” the pegasus joked.

Silver Spoon playfully rolled her eyes. “I may have blindly followed her in front of everypony, but I will always be there for her.”

“You will, will you?” Scootaloo cocked a brow. “Well, as a friend, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re doing a pretty bad job just sittin here doing nothing.”

“I can’t go to her, what do you expect me to do?” Silver Spoon shook her head. “There’s no way she would talk to me if I did!”

“Well, I don’t see why you’re so down then. If you can’t help it, move on.”

“But--”

“But, nothing! Come on!” Scootaloo groaned. “I can’t BELIEVE I’m about to say this, but if you want that filly to change, be the friend she needs and not the one she wants. Really knock her down a few pegs!”

“I don’t see the point.” Silver Spoon shook her head. “When nopony is looking, we are the best of friends.”

“So, what, you two are like secret friends then?” Scootaloo chuckled, narrowing her eyes playfully. “Sounds lame to me. Plus everypony already knows you two hang out, it’s no secret.”

“Yeah, but I just don’t know, Scootaloo.” Silver Spoon sighed. “What if I only make things worse..?”

“And I thought Fluttershy had confidence issues...” Scootaloo rolled her eyes. ”Can’t be any worse than what they are now.” she frankly stated. “I mean she already hates you.”

Silver Spoon narrowed her eyes at Scootaloo. Though she knew the pegasus’ words rang true, there was no point in getting mad. “You sure..?” she sheepishly said.

“Positive!” Scootaloo beamed. “Y’kno, one of these day’s I’m gonna have to toughen you up some.”

“Maybe later.” Silver Spoon smiled. “Knowing Titi, there is one place in Ponyville she will go.”

“That’s the can do spirit I like to see!” Scootaloo exclaimed as if rallying a crowd. “Now, what do ya say we get back to your party, or rather what’s left of it.”

“Thanks alot, Scootaloo.” Silver Spoon sheepishly smiled. “And, I know this is way overdue, but I’m sorry about all the name calling.”

“Aahh don’t mention it, Silvy.” Scootaloo waved a hoof dismissively. “If there is one thing Scootaloo values, it’s loyalty! You’re a Cutie Mark Crusader now! You can always count on me! If things go south with Diamond Tiara, you still got us.” she smiled, her eyes shimmering with satisfaction.

Odd, Scootaloo and I had a moment here. I can feel a warm bond forming between us... Silver Spoon mused on this thought. Scootaloo was the last pony she would ever have thought would cheer her up or offer some of the advice that was given.

“You done moping around?” Scootaloo teased, hopping from the bed to her hooves. “Or do I REALLY need to buck some sense into your head?”

“No,” Silver Spoon giggled. “And thanks again, Scootaloo.”

The orange filly groaned. “Really, it’s cool. Don’t go getting all mushy on me now! I get enough of that from Apple Bloom...”
---
The party was already beginning to reach it’s final stage as only few ponies were left, including Pinkie Pie. Even the party pony sensed one of her parties was closing down, she was busy helping Emerald with the dishes

“Y’know, Miss Pie, you’re very handy in the kitchen!” Emerald heartily laughed. “Are you sure you’re not long lost kin o’ mine?”

“Naaah.” Pinkie giggled. “Just good at baking things I guess!”

“So THAT’S where you were!” August Hoof called as Scootaloo and Silver Spoon came downstairs. “The upstairs were off limits as I recall!” The mare chided, tapping a hoof to the floor.

“I’m sorry, August Hoof.” Silver Spoon warmly smiled at the mare. “I needed Scootaloo’s help with something.”

August Hoof eyed the two fillies then shrugged. “I suppose, I just wish you would have said something.” the mare groaned, disappearing into the manor

“Silver Spoon!” Sweetie Belle called as she trotted over to the filly and hugged her. “I was so worried! I heard what happened. Are you ok?”

Silver spoon nodded. “Yes, thanks to Scootaloo here.” she giggled offering a smile to the orange pegasus.

“It’s nothing.” Scootaloo blushed. “She just needed a little push is all. Though next time I might not be so gentle!”

Silver Spoon blew a raspberry at the pegasus. “I’ll just have to be careful then, won’t I?”

“Did I mi’th ‘thomething?” Twist giggled. “Are ‘Thilver ‘Thpoon and ‘Thootaloo really getting along..?”

“Yer guess is as good as mine, Twist.” Apple Bloom shook her head. “Ah think they’re clones!” she joked.

“I’m so happy you two are friends now!” Sweetie Belle squeaked. “This is great!”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders all began laughing at the odd level of energy Sweetie Belle displayed. Silver Spoon looked at each one, Scootaloo’s words ringing in her ears. Don’t aim to be like somepony, be BETTER than them... Be the friend she needs and not the one she wants... Easier said than done, Scootaloo... Silver Spoon dreaded having to approach Diamond Tiara. She knew it was for the best and she will have the Cutie Mark Crusaders there to help her through trying times.

“‘Thilver ‘Thpoon?” Twist chimed in, pulling the gray filly from her thoughts. Her team all offered worried looks in light of recent events.

“I’m alright, girls.” Silver Spoon replied. “Belle, do you think it’s alright if I spent the night with you?”

A wide grin spread across Sweetie Belle’s face at the prospect of having a sleep over. “I wouldn’t mind!”

“What about yer sis?” Apple Bloom asked. “Ya think it’d be alright with her?”

Sweetie Belle frowned. “Right...” for a moment her face lit up. Obviously scheming up an idea. “Unless it was a certain filly’s birthday wish.” an odd, almost sly smirk appeared on her face. All eyes turned to Silver Spoon, all sporting the same devious smile.

“Wh-what?” Silver Spoon flinched, suddenly feeling alienated.

“I ‘thee what ‘Thweetie Belle i’th ‘thaying...” Twist giggled.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo added. “Good idea, Sweetie Belle!”

“Ah swear, this is somethin ah expected from Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom giggled.

“What?” Silver Spoon whined, suddenly nervous.

“I’m saying that you should just write it off as a birthday wish!” Sweetie Belle proudly stated. “I don’t think she would refuse you then.”

“Wow...” Silver Spoon gasped. “That’s... oddly devious of you, Sweetie Belle!”

“Have plans, Little Miss?” Emerald’s voice rang, chuckling heartily.

“Yes,” Silver Spoon nodded. “Tell Auguest Hoof and Seabastion I will be spending the night at Carousel Boutique.” she giggled. “Let’s go girls!”

“Yeah!” Twist added. “On ward’th an upward’th!” she chirped.

The five fillies trotted off laughing as they left the mansion behind, Emerald fondly watching. “Boy the Master ‘n Missus would be proud to see you now.” He chuckled, closing the door.
---
A light illuminated Sweetie Belle’s room in Carousel Boutique. The moon was already high in the sky, and squeals erupted from the filly’s room. Rarity decided to join after reluctantly agreeing to host their little get together. Each of the slumber party guests wore an odd lime green mud mask as they sat in a circle. Partnered up in pairs’ of two, each pony had another in their mane. Apple Bloom tended to Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle to Silver Spoon and Rarity to Twist.

“I’ll admit,” Rarity giggled. “I am enjoying myself, though do not make a habit out of this, every once in awhile is fine.” The mare ran a comb through Twist’s curly red mane, though it didn’t seem to have any effect.

Silver Spoon’s mane was now styled into a bang, slightly covering one of her eyes. Sweetie Belle was busy now applying eye shadow to Silver Spoon’s eye lids.

“Remember what I taught you, Sweetie Belle.” Rarity cautioned. “Even strokes.”

“I think I might try glitter...” Sweetie Belle inspected Silver Spoon’s face, observing it from different angles. “Just a little on the cheeks...”

Scootaloo squirmed as Apple Bloom worked a brush through her mane. “How did Rarity even talk us into this..?” Scootaloo groaned. “I feel lied to.”

“Oh hush, silly filly.” Apple Bloom giggled. “Ah’ll admit, this is more fun than I thought. Never would have thought ah’d brush yer mane though, Scooty.” she playfully winked. “Ah think ah have just the look fer ya, hun. Now sit still!”

Scootaloo blushed and shrugged. “Fine...”

Silver Spoon giggled. “H-How’s it look Sweetie Belle?”

“Almost done...” The young filly replied, applying a light amount of turquoise glitter. “There!” Sweetie Belle squeaked.

Rarity and the Cutie Mark Crusaders looked up and all gasped.

Silver Spoon opened her eyes and flinched at their stares. “Wh-What?” she blushed now painfully aware of the make over Sweetie Belle gave her. Her young fashionista held up a mirror and Silver Spoon reeled at the reflection that stared back.

“Wh...wow, Sweetie Belle..!” She observed herself. The eye shadow brought out the depth of her eyes. The bang added an odd aesthetic touch to her face. The sparkling glitter sparsely bedazzled her cheeks, seeming to add to the shine of her violet eyes.

“Try not to move too much, I want a picture of this!” Rarity giggled. “Silver Spoon, now you do Sweetie Belle.”

"Yes ma’am,” Silver Spoon squealed.

Sweetie Belle bounced as she sat,obviously wired to be getting a make over. “I wonder what you’re gonna do.”

Good question. Silver Spoon nervously giggled. “Well, let’s see...”
----
“Now smile girls!” Rarity sang. “This time, Scootaloo don’t cover your face. And Twist, darling, stop messing with the chop sticks in your mane.”

Twist quickly lowered her hoof from her updo styled mane. A few tastefully stray strands of her hair bounced in her face. “Thi’th i’th amazing!” she gasped, admiring her own reflection.

“Alright...” Scootaloo groaned. Her mane ran down in a cascade of curls, the blush on her face seeming to grow brighter.

“Aw c’mon, ah think ah did a real good job on you!” Apple Bloom protested, pouting slightly. “Ah tried real hard too...” Her mane was spiked and styled to gravity defying proportions and combed down in the front for a bang.

“You did,” Scootaloo admitted. “I just...” she sighed. “I like it, Apple Bloom.” the filly smiled. “Just don’t know how to react I guess.”

Apple Bloom’s face lit up in a large grin. “Really?”

“Totally,” Scootaloo examined herself in the mirror then smirked. “I guess this does look pretty cool; something I’d have to get used to is all.”

Sweetie Belle squealed, grinning ear to ear at Silver Spoon. “I look sooo pretty!” Silver Spoon managed to get Sweetie Belle’s two tone mane to flow in waves accented by a flower manepin.

Silver Spoon blushed. “I-It was nothing really...”

“Girls, picture?” Rarity said, preparing the camera. “Ready..?”

The five fillies smiled, some grinning as the flash went off, forever immortalizing that moment.

“Great!” Rarity beamed. “Unless you think you can handle it in your sleep, you may want to wash off the make up, girls.”

Twist yawned, placing a hoof over her mouth. She caused a chain reaction, her yawn spread from one pony to another until the entire small group loosed a weary yawn.

“Well, you girls are free to try to stay up through the night,” Rarity stretched. “I will be going to bed.” The mare stood and headed for the door, then paused. “Absolutely NO pillow fights!” she added before exiting the room.

“I think Rarity has the right idea.” Scootaloo yawned again, climbing into Sweetie Belle’s bed and grabbing a spot.

“Ah second that motion!” Apple Bloom added, following Scootaloo’s lead and climbing into bed.

The others followed suit. The bed was big enough for the fillies to fit in and still have ample room left over. Silver Spoon laid close too the edge, staring out the window. Her mind rehearsed what to say to Diamond Tiara, searching for something that might get through to her.
---
What am I going to do... She sighed, unable to sleep. The confrontation with Diamond Tiara kept her up, though she feared what her dreams might bring. She sat up and looked to the others, who were already fast asleep.

The friend she needs...

“Silvy?” Sweetie Belle’s weary voice rang as she slowly opened her eyes. “Are you ok...?

“Oh, I’m fine.” She smiled. “I didn’t mean to wake you, Belle, go back to sleep,” Silver Spoon whispered.

The young filly sat up, a worried look replacing her weary one. “You’re lying.”

Silver Spoon flinched, then hung her head. “I was that obvious... huh?”

“Kinda, but not really.” Sweetie Belle shook her head. “In fact you just admitted to it, I didn’t know.”

Silver Spoon chuckled. “I never would have guessed you had a devious streak, Sweetie Belle.”

“What’s wrong?” Sweetie Belle asked, being careful not to raise her voice too loud.

Silver Spoon remained silent, staring down at the sheets.

“So...Diamond Tiara..?” Sweetie Belle cocked her head to the side.

Silver Spoon nodded. “Scootaloo said I should be the friend she needs, and not the friends she wants.”

Scootaloo said that?” Sweetie Belle giggled. “Wow...”

“I don’t think I can do it though, Sweetie Belle.” Silver Spoon snifffed. “I’m... afraid.”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Yeah,” she whispered. “I can see why you’d feel that way.” The filly turned her gaze to their sleeping beauties and smiled. “But, you’re not alone anymore, see?”

Silver Spoon turned and smiled weakly at her friends. She’s right.

Sweetie Belle hugged Silver Spoon and smiled. “Thru thick ‘r thin,” she giggled, mocking Apple Bloom’s accent. “Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, Twist and you’ve always got me. If you need us, all you have to do is say the word.”

“Yeah...” Silver Spoon nodded, feeling newfound confidence. “Well... it’s for her own good... I’ve often thought of the meaning of her cutie mark...”

“What did you come up with?” Sweetie Belle cocked a brow.

“Well, maybe it’s just because I’m so used to following her lead, but I think it’s for leadership.”

“Huh, never would have thought of... that.” Sweetie Belle yawned.

“Go back to sleep.” Silver Spoon smiled. “Thanks for listening too.”

The young filly nodded and laid back down, leaving Silver Spoon awake. The gray filly sighed happily, feeling as if a terrible weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She rested her head on the pillow. The warm thoughts of the Cutie Mark Crusaders backing her up lulled her to sleep within moments.