• Published 20th May 2013
  • 1,189 Views, 50 Comments

Thine Own Self - jdb1984



Can Silver Spoon learn to be herself, despite opposition from all sides?

  • ...
1
 50
 1,189

Twilight Time

“Girls, I thought we talked about this,” Twilight said to the fillies at her doorstep.

It was the next day after school, the same Wednesday they always used for Twilight Time. They still kept it a secret from everypony, not wanting a repeat of what happened last time. But now they felt confident enough to invite Silver Spoon along, hoping it would help the growing relationship. Though initially reluctant, she soon figured that they may be onto something.

Twilight was standing at her doorstep, looking at the four fillies in turn. She didn’t seem too angry, just thinking back to what happened last time they brought a guest with them for what she always considered a private learning time for the three of them.

“We know, Twilight,” Apple Bloom said. “But Silver is tryin’ to change, and we thought bringing her along would be helpful. And even though she has ‘er cutie mark...”

Twilight noticed that Silver’s face twitched, and shuffled her hooves a bit at that point.

“...we thought she might want to learn some of the same stuff you’ve been teachin’ us” Apple Bloom finished.

Twilight looked up at Silver and just stared in her direction for a moment, making her look down at her hooves, not wanting to meet her gaze. Finally, Twilight said, “Okay, she can join you. But if there’s a repeat of what happened last time, I will officially cancel Twilight Time for everypony.”

The four fillies silently followed Twilight in the Crystal Castle, and Silver looked around in amazement. The sunlight was shining through the crystals that made up the structure and breaking it up, giving the look of multicolored light everywhere. The floor was also made of crystal, though this crystal was made to be walked on, and colored red. The place was also massive, with hallways and doors that led to just as many rooms. Anyone unfamiliar with the place would easily get lost.

“Okay, you three,” Twilight said, cutting into her thoughts. “You go to the library and wait for me there, and Spike should have some nachos ready soon.”

As the Crusaders ran off, obviously knowing the way they were going, Twilight turned to look down at Silver.

“Is there something going on?” she asked, a bit of worry showing on her face.

“What do you mean, Princess?” Silver asked.

“Please, just Twilight will do,” Twilight answered. “But I noticed that you shuffled your hooves when Apple Bloom mentioned your cutie mark, so I thought that you might be worried about something related to it. It’s your choice whether you want to tell me, but I know something about cutie marks. I even had my own stolen once. So I thought, whatever it is, I may be able to help.”

Silver paced a bit as she thought about it, while Twilight just stood there and waited.

“No,” Silver finally said, shaking her head. “I...I really don’t want to talk about it.”

Twilight gave a short nod, as she said, “Okay. But if you change your mind, I’ll be here to listen.”

As Twilight led Silver to the library, a bit of worry was etched on her face, as her eyes kept drifting down to the spoon on her flank. A spoon she could tell was a fake.

---

When Silver got home from school the next day, Good Service was nowhere to be seen, which slightly confused her. He knew when she usually got home, and is waiting for her with her after-school snack. While she trotted through the unusually empty house towards the study, she heard something behind her, she turned around, seeing Good Service approach with a cart, that had a tea kettle and three tea glasses on it.

“Ah, Miss Silver. I do apologize for not meeting you at the door like usual. Your father and mother have a very important guest, and they ask that you do your homework in the dining room tonight,” he informed her.

"Important guest?" she asked.

"Yes. It seems that Princess Twilight has paid us a visit this evening," Good Service answered.

As he walked towards the study with the tea, Silver headed to the dining room. But as she dropped off her saddlebags, mind whirling with the question on why Twilight was there, so soon after she saw her with the Crusaders. Leaving her saddlebags behind, she headed over to the closed door of the study. Glancing around and seeing nopony nearby, she went over and put her ear to the door.

“Princess...” she heard her father begin.

“Please, just Twilight,” Twilight interrupted.

“Twilight, I know you mean well, trying to bring this to our attention. But I feel this is a family matter, and we are already well aware of our daughter’s painted on mark...”

“They know?” Silver thought, her eyes going wide.

“...but I always felt that it was her accepting her true destiny, taking over the company. Anyways, that art stuff that her true mark shows can’t bring in the bits like our company can,” her father finished.

“I thought of it as a phase at first, one she was going to grow out of. Even after she got her actual mark, I felt it was mostly harmless,” her mother added.

“I know you're just trying to give your daughter a secure future, but a cutie mark is supposed to represent where your talents lie, and I can’t imagine having her deny who she is can be healthy,” Twilight answered. “Even if she is an artist, Mr. Smith, you should accept your daughter for who she is, not for who you want her to be.”

“All I can promise right now is that we’ll think about what you said,” Silver Smith answered. “Now, I trust you know the way out. If you get lost in our house, one of my servants will be happy to point you in the right direction.”

“That’s all I ask,” Twilight said.

Silver could hear the sounds of three ponies standing up, and knew she could get in trouble for eavesdropping if she was caught. So she made a dash away from the door and up to her own room, her mind churning with the new information she overheard.

Comments ( 1 )

Yea!! new chapter! :pinkiehappy:

I really like how you are bringing Twilight into this and how she's handling things so far. Can't wait for more!

Login or register to comment