• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 1,352 Views, 42 Comments

Trenches - John 117



I think towards the past, present and future as I face my own mortality.

  • ...
3
 42
 1,352

Story

Something tells me I won’t be going home this time. I don’t know what it is, but it’s this indescribable feeling I have in the back of my mind. I know, that by the end of this day, I will die; not ever having seen my new born son or my wife ever again. Fluttershy… I hope she’ll be ok without me. I never meant to leave her; I never meant for any of this to happen; but it did, and I had to do my part to make sure she would be safe. That they would both be safe. I’m standing in a deep trench next to my gun as the rain pours down on my head. My coat is drenched, even though I have a field blanket wrapped around my shivering body. My uniform is soaked, and my boots don't help with the mud at all' I have to continue to move my hooves around as to not fall into the muddy water that's filling the whole damn system of trench works. I sigh, looking down at a picture of her. It was before I left; the night I proposed to her. We had a foal already coming, so I thought why not? I didn’t actually think there would be war. But there was, and here I am thinking of what I will lose.

I will never meet my son, nor will he meet his father. I just hope he understands one day why I left and why I died. I hope he won’t hate me, and that he will find it within himself to forgive me for not being there for him when he needs me. I hate myself already for it, but I couldn't bear it in any after life if he did. I hope he will grow up and be a good stallion; that he will be good to his wife and children. I don’t want him to leave them like I will. I don’t want his children to have the same fate.

I come back to reality and stuff the picture back into my uniform. No use in reminiscing of times gone by. I must focus to make it through this, no matter what my mind tells me. I place a hoof onto the trenches edge and look over towards the Griffin line. No movement; all clear for now. Situation still F.U.B.A.R. We haven’t gained ground for months, and hundreds die every day. I don’t know how I made it this far, but I know my time will come soon. Who knows, maybe I’ll actually make it out of this mud infested hell hole. I sigh and sit back down behind the wall, cradling my rifle across my legs. A few ponies pass by me, not saying anything and only nodding towards me; their eyes cast down as they try to find some cover from the down pour. I understand why they don’t stay and talk. Staying would mean growing attached. Growing attached would make us friends. Making us friends means one more scar to add to the already scared heart if one of us were to die that very day. I’m glad they don’t stop. I don’t think I could bear another wound.

I think of that lesson, and the way I learned it. It was the beginning of the war, without all these goddess damned trenches. His name was Thunder Run, and he was an earth pony from Trottingham. We had grown close to one another during training, and when we went to war finally we had been placed in the same squad. I remember that day when he fell. Two shots to the shoulder, blast to the back legs. Not recoverable. KIA. That’s all the records showed him. Just another number to another long list of thousands of other names that all read the same thing; KIA. I will be joining that list soon, how soon I’m still not sure.

The rain’s coming down harder now; I hunch over in my field blanket and try to keep warm, covering my eyes with the brim of my helmet. Damn thing was pretty much useless, but it had to count for something. I pull the picture out once again and look at it. So beautiful….. I’m snapped from my thoughts as a whistle is blown over the trench line. Ponies get up and grab their gear, trotting slowly to the steps to the land beyond; no-pony’s land. I hunch over, letting my blanket fall to the muddy water beneath my hooves. I grab my rifle with one hoof and walk towards the nearest ladder. Thoughts race through my mind. Keep running, just keep running and don’t stop for anything. Keep going and you just might make it. I offer a silent prayer to Celestia as we wait on the steps of death. An order is given, and ponies begin to fix bayonets. I grab mine and shove it onto the barrel of my rifle, twisting it on tightly.

I will not return from this, and I don’t know how I know this. All I know is that I’m already dead inside, just like everypony else here, and that no matter what, I will not give up. I will fight, and I will strive to make it back home to her. I will see my son grow up, and I will make sure that he doesn’t make the same mistakes I did. No matter what he will be a better stallion then me, this I know. And if I don’t make it, and I do die in this mud infested field, then I hope they go on; move from the grief and live better lives. I don’t want my sacrifice to go in vain. The whistle blows once more, and ponies run straight for the enemy trench line, cheers for princess and country echoing over the thunder of guns.

Comments ( 42 )

Feels! :fluttershbad:

This was wonderful. I'm really strapped for time at the moment, so I'll come back later to give you a full review. Just know that you win 4/5 flutteryays.

2189472 I KNOW THIS SONG!!! I HAVE IT ON MY IPOD!! WTF. its a great song and had it in mind when I wrote this, especially with the video it was put to!:yay::yay::yay::moustache::rainbowlaugh:

2189515

When I write, I set my computer to shuffle a certain playlist. It's nothing but Sabaton and Russian songs. Also, I put up Angels Calling, too.

2189539 I'll take a look, and i do the same, although it has a lot of Sabaton, Breaking Benjamin, and a few other metal and rock bands. I'll take a look at the story. The reason why I freak out is that no one over here seems to know Sabaton, so I was just surprised you did.

2189565

Sabaton is a European band, Most bronies are Americans. Sabaton did not perform in the United States until 2011. Do the math.

2189624 This makes a lot of sense now....

2189633

Didn't you find it odd just how much of their fanbase doesn't use English in comments or videos? 40:1 is like the unofficial Polish national anthem.

Admittedly, I'm just posting all the Sabaton I can get away with because I'm trying to spread the news of this epic band.

So, does this take place during World War I?

2189730 well, the pony equivalent yes. Although It's not our actually world war 1

2189721 I have like 5 of their songs already, and i show it to who ever i can. I haven't heard this one, but its good.

2189743
I was assuming that because of the trenches.

2189754 Good, I meant for it to be like that. :twilightsmile:

MOAR! This was a great peice of literiture, art from words my friend, art from words

2190401 If you enjoyed this so much, take a look at my other works and see what you think!:twilightsmile:

2189721 Hmm.... Well now that you mention it I did find it strange. I can see why it is.

I have good news, John 117. Trenches now appears on the Tv Tropes fanfiction recommendations page for Friendship is Magic.

2217265 add a link to it:rainbowderp:

2217280

The link should appear in a number of days. Once enough people have come to your fic by that link, it will show up in the referrals section under stats for this story. It will give you the page, its URL, the website, and how many people have followed that link.

2217284 This is...surprising. Wow....:pinkiehappy:

2217288

I just went through the link to get here now. It takes about a half dozen or so different visitors coming through a link to show up in the referrals section. Consider me one of the first.

feeeliiiingssssssssssssss

2189721 yes kurwa 2189743 any of you heard about Iron Maiden?no?

2234638

We're both Americans; we know about Iron Maiden. They are one of the most famous bands here.

2234664 well i didin't know that :twilightsheepish:

2234677 Its alright, and truth me told I've only ever heard of them. I can say that I haven't heard much if any of their works. :twilightsheepish:

2234664 And for the longest time i thought you were Russian Kalash :twilightsheepish:

2234741

LOLOLOLOLOLOL,моя дорогая дурочка.

You're not the first.

2234771 I mean...You pull off a pretty good Russian, although your English would be more than superb :ajsmug:

2234779

The real Russians keep on telling me that I sound like a Ukrainian or sometimes a Czech, and I always sound like a peasant to them. :rainbowlaugh: My Russian is actually pretty weak because I haven't yet been studying it for very long. My German is pretty strong. My Latin is fantastic. English is my best. Most of the Russian influences in my writing come from having that sort of practical knowledge about some military matters. Think of it also a bonus for attention, informed readers. :raritywink: Lastly, US and other NATO armed forces have been done to death in fandom. Having something distinctive and unique helps the story to stand out from the hordes.

2234820 This is quiet true, and the fact that you know so much helps a great deal too. I take Latin, but am not too strong in it so the only language I'm actually decent in is English. :twilightsheepish:

2234833

Quot sunt anni tibi discissene linguam latinam?

I'm close to fluent in Latin. I took it for five years. One of the things I do to keep in practice is translate things I hear as I'm hearing them. Try it with music.

And now the TvTropes referrals have come in! You've earned them.

2289687 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy::yay::yay:

Wait Your not Russia dam I owe so much money to jexxarez

i.imgur.com/c8uduzr.gif

You captured the emotion, not to mention the grim reality of war, really well. I applaud you for this. :moustache:

3475357 oh my god you read my story :rainbowderp:

3475364

Well you did ask me to promote your stories, so of course I was gonna read a few of them! :rainbowkiss:

3475378 I feel that I should do the same for you though....or at least try:twilightblush:

3475387

Don't feel obligated to do anything. I don't mind.

Login or register to comment