• ...
2
 37
 1,797

Moving On Up

For Auld Lang Syne






February 14th 2011

Chapter 6: Moving on Up

MLP: FiM Fic by Mr.Dependable

“Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.”
Khalil Gibran

Chapter 6:


Pinkie Pie trotted down the parched dirt path. The midafternoon Sunday sun scorched the earth, and each careless hoof-step she took landed on painful, scalding soil. A black dress was haphazardly draped over her back. The bantam area that the charcoal compilation covered was damp with sweat as it absorbed the summer’s radiant beams. One would never suspect that she had just partaken in a funeral — in fact it seemed as if she was just returning from a jovial picnic in the Sun. However, the depressing truth was that she had laid one of her oldest friends in the dry ground not more than 45 minutes prior. If that same person were informed of her participation in the funeral, they would be appalled with her blithe and carefree demeanour. But deep down in the recesses of her mind, down where Madame Le Flour and the rest of her rag tag team of insanity abided, feelings of sorrow, despair and worry were beginning to break free. Slowly but surely dismantling the meticulously fabricated masonry of laughter and happiness, which she had constructed so many years ago to keep them hidden away.

Pinkie shut her eyes and raised her head, letting the celestial orb pour it’s clement beams onto her wrinkled face and trickle down her aged body. She adored the summer, and ever since she was a small filly she could recall numerous hours spent joyfully participating in sundry games and parties that stretched into the early hours of the morning. The elongated days provided copious amounts of time for such activities, and as Pinkie had always said, the longer the party, the better it will be.

Yet there was one party she would never enjoy or become accustomed to. A party which always suppressed joyous tones and provoked ones of distress and disdain. It doesn’t take long for somepony to realize that the florescent pink pony despised any negative emotions. And at Rarity’s funeral, Pinkie Pie had never felt more out of place. At first she had attempted to cheer up the masses of listless ponies. However her efforts went unnoticed and she was cast aside as family and friends preferred to sit and be engulfed in the flames of despair and mourning. Being ignored might be nothing more than a pet peeve to the average pony, but to Pinkie, it left a lasting impression and corroded her soul and gnawed on her heart.

The image of her bright pink home, distorted by waves of heat radiating from the ground up towards the sky, materialized on the horizon. As the blistering heat sapped the last of her energy, Pinkie wearily approached her welcoming front door. Sugar Cube Corner was an old building, and was protected with Ponyville’s heritage program. While the project had its perks, it also had many disadvantages, one of which was no alterations to the original infrastructure. This meant that the instillation of a much needed air conditioning system was strictly prohibited. The resulting effect was a stuffy, aberrant and humid home.

Pinkie sighed as she shut the door behind her and let the cheery disposition slide down her face, hang on her nose precariously before falling and crumpling on the floor like a carelessly discarded scarf. She had feared of this day’s occurrence. She had feared the day she had to say goodbye to one of her friends. She had feared the beginning of the end.

Rarity’s funeral had been titled a “Ceremony of Life”, in a fruitless attempt to lighten the dreary mood. Extravagant and regal, it was a picture right out of a magazine. Lavish floral displays cascaded down the walls and soothing soft music resonated from hidden speakers. It was so beautiful; one would mistake the organization of the awe-inspiring features to be Rarity’s own work.

A ceremony of life… scoffed Pinkie, …that was no ceremony, it was like a funeral!

She paused and scowled at her own stupid thought. However, a voice in her head altered her critical disposition to one of sheer terror. The vocal uprising was one of pure insanity in the form of a French accent.

“Zat ees because eet was a funeral Pinkie…” said the harrowing voice of Madame Le Floure.

******

A blinding white spark erupted from the tip of the purple mare’s horn, before dauntingly sizzling out and falling to the ground. Twilight sighed heartily at her inability to perform what used to be a mundane task. With a frustrated snort, the old unicorn resorted to something that usually would have never crossed her mind, physical force. She pressed her back against the stubborn door to the library before pushing as hard as her old body would permit. With a splintering crack the door swung open and allowed Twilight to enter her home.

Twilight shuffled past the stoic bust of a pony, which sat in the middle of the room before making her self a cup of coffee in the kitchen. Spike had departed with a worryingly depressed Fluttershy at the request of Twilight, which meant she had the house to herself. Thoughts and suggestions fired off in the unicorn’s head as she rapidly analyzed her friend’s reactions to the debilitating event. Applejack, as her element of harmony would lead one to believe, was completely honest and open with her emotions. Even though the two mares never saw eye to eye on the majority of situations, they were still friends for over 30 years, and the shock of loosing somepony had tainted the concoction of pride in her soul. Rainbow Dash had a similar reaction to Applejack’s. While she never really understood Rarity’s fashionista life style, she too found it impossible to ward off the burning fire of mourning in her heart. Staying loyal to her friend, Dash had openly wept for the first time in years, over the loss of one of her oldest acquaintances.

However the two ponies which unnerved Twilight substantial more than the rest, were the only two ponies who denied their emotions. Fluttershy had fallen harder and farther than any of the other mane six when Rarity passed. Days of meticulous and unconditional care had lead to an attachment that no other could replicate. Even before Rarity’s final months they possessed a friendly bond wound tighter than any other pony’s in Equestria. In the few dilapidated days in the wake of her death, Twilight found herself laying awake, resting her head on a tear stained pillow. She had read a multitude of books, which went into scrutinous detail about the different aspects and characteristics of death in an attempt to ease the inevitable pain it would bring. However, when the impending departure of her friend occurred, the torment in her heart was something unequivocal to any other event in her life. Many a night, Spike would retire to his bed after wishing Twilight a peaceful slumber and the distraught mare would break into a fit of angst and remorse alone. Gut wrenching thoughts and memories would wreak havoc with her mind, as Twilight desperately tried to come to terms with what she tried to believe was just another mundane task of life. These rational thoughts were not shared by all though, and Twilight knew it.

Fluttershy had denied the comfort of her friends after Rarity died on the cold park bench beside her. For hours she just sat there, holding her deceased friends hoof while the stars twinkled, oblivious to the catastrophic event below. Eventually, the caretakers of the home were forced to separate the two, and ignoring the grievous sobs of protest from Fluttershy, Rarity was carted away. It was the suppression of the emotions, post death, which worried Twilight. If Fluttershy had openly accepted her feelings of sorrow and despair, the unicorn would have been much at peace herself. However, despite her persistent denial that the passing of her friend affected her, Twilight could tell that her yellow-coated friend was in torment.

When Mac had died, Twilight half expected the loss of his wife to occur not much long after. However, despite her predictions, with the aid of Rarity, Fluttershy had pulled through. Now… now the one Pony who the benevolent Pegasus had let in during her dire emotional situation was gone. And Twilight could not help but fear for the worst for her friend. When confronted, Fluttershy had shrugged off Rarity’s death like it was the passing of the spring or something uneventful along the lines of that. But, each night, when Twilight was tossing and turning in her unnaturally stiff bed, the eerie tortured howls of a debilitated yellow Pegasus, resonated against the cold un-affectionate buildings and streets of Ponyville.

The kettle squealed as its contents came to a belligerent boil. The comatose unicorn shuffled to the kitchen and lost herself in thought once again as the enveloping steam coiled and curved. She tilted the kettle and let the seething water flood the coffee filter and continue into the cup bellow.

While Fluttershy was a concerning issue, it was nothing compared to what she had read from Pinkie Pie. Twilight knew that the boisterous pony had a history of going completely bat shit insane when things took a turn for the worst. Now that old age was beginning to set in, Twilight couldn’t help but wonder what the implications of this stage in life were like on her friend. Whatever they were, she knew they couldn’t be good.

Twilight scowled as the water in the mug flowed over the rim and burnt her hoof. Silently cussing under her breath, she brought the throbbing patch of skin to the ameliorating saliva of her mouth. Twilight took this momentary lapse of concentration to let her own emotions flood through her mind. She had been so caught up worrying about her friends, and their own responses, that she had completely neglected her self. Now… now the sudden realization of loss hit her in the gut like the attenuating blow of a Ponyville Slugger. Her lament burst through the fortifications of her soul and drowned out any other thoughts than her decrepit friends. Tears tainted the still scorching mixture of coffee beans and water as her shuddering hollow sobs echoed throughout the desolate library. It really was the end.

Her lugubrious melody of wails and cries was interrupted by the tinny sound of metal gently flapping against wood. Twilight wiped the tears from her eyes and with a stifling sob, and peered into the central room of the library. A plain white letter sat isolated on the floor in front of her door, as the mail flap gently and childishly swung back and forth in its fittings. Curious of the envelopes contents, the aged purple unicorn trudged through the flank deep flood of emotional waste. With shaking hooves, partially from her elderly status but primarily from her sorrow, she split the letter in a perfectly linear tear. She squinted her eyes and desperately tried to decipher the blurry lettering, and let out a disgruntled sigh as she pushed the glasses that sat precariously on the tip of her horn, down onto the secure grasp of her nose. With the script now legible, Twilight began to read the formal letter.


Dear Ms. T. Sparkle,

It has come to our attention that Ms. Rarity; a pony of whom you are closely acquainted with, has passed on. We extend our sincerest condolences for your loss, and understand that this must be a very difficult time.

Ms. Rarity came to our firm two weeks ago, before she was checked into Duck Lake Recovery Clinic, and requested that we help her write a will.

You, along with a few others are included in this will, and we request your presence for it’s reading this afternoon at the Carousel Boutique.

Sincerely,

Mr. N. Bronco

Of

Bronco and Bolt Law Firm


Twilight let out a rattling sigh, as the lawyer’s overly affectionate response proved that he, in fact, did not genuinely feel sorry for her loss. Still, the contents of the letter were a request non-the less, a request that stemmed from her lifeless friend. Obliged to their friendship, Twilight glared at the clock, which read half past three, and solemnly began her trek across Ponyville to the Carousel Boutique.

******

A distressed looking Applejack and Rainbow Dash comforted Fluttershy as the unsuitably jovial chime of bells, which was strung above the Carousel Boutiques door, notified them of Twilights entrance. The interior of the dressmakers home was dull, and unnervingly devoid of life. Dresses sat half finished, and decrepit, a disheartening reminder that they would never again be touched by the professional hooves of their creator. Applejack, Dash and Fluttershy were indifferent to the purple unicorns entrance, and remained in their land of sorrow. Twilight paused for a moment before continuing into the room and sat beside her three friends as they insisted on ignoring her. For several moments nopony broke the unrelenting silence, and sat in melancholic unison. Eventually the emotional tension over came the noise less unicorn and she hesitantly asked a question.

“Where are the others?” she queried.

They didn’t respond, it was as if they were frozen in time and space itself. Applejack stared at the floor while Rainbow hummed silently to herself and Fluttershy’s old glaciated pupils quivered as she stared off into space. Twilight gulped and strained to gather enough courage to speak once again.

“Whe… Where,” she stuttered, “is everpony else?”

Fluttershy didn’t break her gaze, but timidly replied to her friends question in an almost inaudible tone.

“Spike and Sweetie Belle couldn’t come…” she said bluntly, “it would be to much for them they said. They were going for a walk they said…. A walk.”

Her flat and banausic tone was overly disturbing for Twilight, but it was nothing compared to her prose. Unnatural and morbid it seemed warped, like a door frame in the spring heat after an insidious rainstorm. Twilight recoiled slightly in horror and sank into the dark recesses of her mind in an act of mental self-defence. It was in these moments of social isolation, that she realised one pony was unaccounted for, Pinkie Pie…

“Ladies, if you’ll follow me” Interrupted a monotone suit clad lawyer who had materialized beside the trio.

The group lugubriously arose from their sitting positions, and pursued the neutral stallion. As they left the room and climbed the twisting stair case that lead upstairs, Twilight glanced back at the front door in desperation, hoping that Pinkie Pie would walk through at any moment.

******

The room once again sank into silence, as the four elderly mares sat opposite the dark brown stallion in Rarity’s old bedroom. He violently cleared his throat and dug into his briefcase before recovering an official looking bundle of papers.

“I’m sorry that the rest of your friends could not make it…” he began, “, but we cannot legally wait for them to arrive.” He informed.

He picked out three stapled packages from the pile of paper, and placed them onto the coffee table in front of them. On the front page, printed in typewriter font was the title.


The Last Will and Testament of Mme. Rarity


“Now, if you don’t mind, I would like to begin.”

Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Twilight nodded in silent solemn permission as he flipped open the booklet and began to read.


I Rarity, owner of the Carousel Boutique in Ponyville, Equestria, certify that I am of sound mental state and contractual capacity. I hereby revoke all other wills and codicils I may have previously executed. I appoint Justice Bronco, of Bronco and Bolt Law Firm, as executer of this will. I empower the executer to pay all of my funeral, debts, taxes and other expenses.

My dearest friends, I’m sorry that I am no longer with you. I truly wish that we could have lived and been acquaintances together forever, however it is obvious given the circumstances that life has other plans. I know that I do not have long left; the removal of what small chances I had at survival through Chemotherapy has secured my fate. However, I cannot leave without doing one last thing. One last display of generosity that I pray you will remember me for. It is now, in the shadow of my impending death that I write this, with the assistance of Justice Bronco, my last will and testament.

Sweetie Belle, my only sister. When mother and father died I didn’t know if we could make it through together. While we were siblings, it seemed that we never really were on level playing fields. However, despite my doubts you showed me pure benevolence and understanding. We had our quarrels and disputes, but no matter what, you would always come back to me. As you grew, I watched with glee, while you became a sophisticated and mature young mare. There were moments when the old “uncouth” Sweetie Belle would re-immerge, but strangely I found much more joy in experiencing those as opposed to the serious Sweetie Belle. I love you so very much, it is impossible for me to describe. To you, I leave my Boutique. Do with it as you seem fit, maybe you can incorporate it into your business? Take it and remember me. I will tell mother and father you say hello, and when your time eventually comes, I will be waiting with open hooves.

Rainbow Dash, my most loyal friend. While you never really understood my obsession with fashion, you still supported me throughout my escapades to become famous. Whether it was modeling for me while I was creating a new ensemble, or giving me the very “critical” constructive responses that would make my dresses “20% cooler”. You always stood by my side, and no matter how boring the situation, would give me your undivided attention. I always admired your intricate aerial displays, and I am proud to say that I was friend of the fastest flier in Equestria. To you I leave my fathers sporting antiques and collectibles that he left for me, and the dress I created specifically for you for the Grand Galloping Gala.

Applejack, my most honest friend. I’m going to be perfectly truthful and admit that we never really saw eye to eye. Your simpleton country life style clashed with my uptight urban desires. We always seemed to be quarrelling over one thing or another, whether it was my idiotic reluctance to do physical labor or your stubborn impulses to overlook crucial fine details. However, in the end we always made up, and I think it’s safe to say that after hours of digging through fortuitous walls of character and ego, we would come up with a friendship that would withstand the bludgeoning of a thousand storms. To you I leave my entire collection of self preening and grooming utensils, in hopes that maybe my persistent nagging served some purpose. I also leave you with, like everypony else, your Grand Galloping Gala gown.

Pinkie Pie, my most comical friend. There are numerous times were, whenever I was feeling down or upset your boisterous and upbeat tones would pull into the bright sunlight of happiness. Your parties and the foods that were implied were unparalleled to any others, and I always looked forward to them. I am genuinely going to miss the sound of your laughter more than anything else. It will be hard without you reminding me to giggle at the ghosties, and wherever I am headed, I know that I will need to remember that more than anything else. To you I leave my Martha Stirrup kitchen appliances set. They never really saw much beyond the occasional honey glazed ham, but I believe that they will be in good hands now. Along with the cooking wear, I leave your candy themed Galloping Gala ensemble.

Twilight Sparkle, the one who showed me the magic of friendship. There’s not much I can say about our relationship, but in a good way. When I think about it, the words I could use escape and hide somewhere far away. Our friendship itself was indescribable. Without you, without your ability to bind us all together I would’ve never had such an adventurous and fulfilling life. Everything I have made and become I owe to you one way or another. Thank you for showing me this. To you, I leave my surplus of novels and your celestial Gala gown made by none other than me. I know that my library may not be as impressive as others, but maybe, by some miracle you can find something that is worth my memory.

To my not-so-little Spikey-wikey. I knew all along dear. From the moment I met you I could tell from your flushed cheeks and slack jawed stare that you had a crush on me. At first I found it quite comical, and humoured your emotions. It was only after you started to move on, that I realised I had made a mistake. For years I took acts of benevolence for granted. When our friendship began to die, so did a part of me. I made the sudden and cold discovery that I needed you. Unfortunately it was too late, and while what you wished for could never really happen I still needed you. You were the closest thing I would ever have to a significant other, and I wish that I hadn’t abused your kindheartedness. To you I leave my entire cache of gems, with a certain red ruby sapphire as the grande prix. Think of it as compensation for all the years we should have spent together.

Finally, my closest and dearest friend, Fluttershy. I cannot begin to thank you for your kindness. Not once did you give up on me, even when things seemed the most grim you were always there. Whether it was over midnight emergency coffee or a pedicure during our weekly spa visit, I could always count on you to be there. If anything, I should be apologising. I have told you this before dear, but my conscience must reiterate, I never really heard anything from you. Even after Mac died, and I was so worried about you, I never sat down and really asked how things were. I pray that sometime I will get the chance to hear about your life, and how you are doing. I am afraid that it will most likely be my dying wish. I also leave you with the Grand Galloping Gala gown I made for you specifically in French Haute Coutour. Before I say goodbye though, there is one thing that I must ask you. I will be the second pony to request this from you but, please, keep living for me. I know how hard it will be, how difficult loss is, but I need you to move on and be strong, just like how you did for Mac. We will meet again, but until then I want you to continue to work at your school. Improve it to the best of your ability, and do so with the money, which I am giving to you along with your Grand Galloping Gala gown. Whatever I have left in my bank account, I want you to have. Use it to finish your dream, use it to remember me and continue on.

I hope that these last acts of generosity are enough for you to remember me by. The adventures we embarked upon, the memories we share will always be treasured in my heart and mind. I am going miss you all so very much, but like I have told Fluttershy and Sweetie Belle, we will meet again, and I will be waiting for each and everyone of you. I love you all so much, and I wish that we could have spent more time together. But like the changing of the seasons from fall to winter, or the gentle rhythmic crash of waves against a sandy shore as the tide recedes, I must fall to unstoppable forces and say goodbye. Take these gifts, remember our friendship and the times we spent together so many years ago. I do not know what awaits me, but our memories will keep me strong, just as they did during Chemotherapy. Whatever lays ahead, I will face it with the courage, love and magic of friendship you have all shared with me.

In Loving Memory,

Your Friend,

The Element of Generosity,

Rarity.



End of Chapter 6

Comments ( 7 )

:fluttercry: that made me choke up
but i cant help but worry about pinky

when will there be an update? any idea?

540189 I'm going to be rewriting a LOT of the chapters, so I honestly have no idea. I can give you a rough estimate that chapter 7 will be out shortly after my summer starts, which unfortunately is on July 1. :pinkiesick:

540960 GAH:pinkiegasp: This news is sad, but not as sad as this story which is why i love it. i love "feel" stories for some reason. but luck with your duties and i cant wait to see a new update for this fic!

oh goodness you had me in tears by raritys goodbye to pinkie.
i'm also sad that Spike and rarity never got together in their lifetime in this story.
i hope you update soon

Well, sir... It seems that you haven't updated this in nearly a year, but I write this to you in the hopes that you will finish your story. I am thoroughly hooked, and would love to see the emotional end to this heart wrenching tale. I was moved to tears so many times reading your story, and I want to see it through to the end. Please don't give up on it, and if you've put it on the back burner, now may be the time to finish it. I'm sure these other readers will agree. I sincerely hope you will finish the story.

This is in the Silent Hill in Equestria group... Why?!

Login or register to comment