• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 1,287 Views, 5 Comments

... Of Two Evils - Ponycletian



A powerful figure from Equestria's past returns, creating a dilemma for Princess Celestia who must decide whether to imprison him again, or to release him back into the world.

  • ...
0
 5
 1,287

9

*Author’s Note*
Later in this Chapter, I will be coining the term Prancish, which is merely meant to describe the language of the ponies of Prance (France). That little detail in hoof, Allons-y.

Concord was thoughtful as he took his first bite of food in 2000 years. The cake was undoubtedly excellent, as anypony who knew anything about the culinary arts, or cakes in general, would attest. Concord however found it to be rather bland, unsatisfying, and generally disappointing. Perhaps I simply expected too much, he thought absently as he walked towards the pedestal where he had stood for more than a millenium. I can only hope that freedom does not prove to be so disappointing.

He could feel the confused gazes of the other ponies upon him, and he realized that he was being jarringly inconsistent. His behavior had undergone so many radical changes in the last hour alone that he himself was having difficulty determining how he actually felt. He may have been attuned with the concept of order, but he was a pony like any other, with emotions just like any other, even if he was better than most at controlling them. Being free from the expectations of leadership meant also that he was able to actually show the emotions he felt, and right now, he was depressed.

He had been elated when Celestia had said that he would not be imprisoned again, the desire for freedom overwhelming all else, but now that he actually considered his position, he felt uncertain of himself for the first time in his memory. Before now, he had always known exactly what to do. Maybe not exactly how to do it, but he had never felt so useless or unnecessary before. When he had been a foal, he had been supposed to learn about how to fit in with society, about what it meant to be a Prince and what how he was expected to behave. As he grew older, he was expected to learn how to be a ruler, or how to properly manage a Kingdom. Things like statecraft, diplomacy, politics, economics, and other lessons important for leaders. Those studies had been interrupted by the war with Discord, and his goal then had been to defeat Discord by any means necessary, and if that meant building a global empire, then so be it. But now, he was a Prince of a Kingdom that couldn’t acknowledge his return. A statespony who no leader would trust. A leader that nopony trusted in command. He felt as if his new found freedom was crushing the life out of him, for he literally seemed to have no purpose in life.

He sighed, and in keeping with his current train of thought, the light in his horn flickered slightly, and the alicorn Concord was replaced by an average looking grey unicorn stallion, with the same cutie mark as Concord, but with a normal looking horn and no wings. Then, his horn was surrounded by a dim grey aura, as any other unicorn’s horn would be when using magic, and suddenly the pedestal was no longer empty. It once again held a statue of a proud alicorn stallion, and Concord reflected sadly, I suppose this statue is all that remains of that Concord.

Concord turned and walked back to the group who had been watching him silently, unsure what to say or do. Concord made no effort to disguise his unhappiness as he drew nearer, and said in a weary voice, “I really must thank you for all you have done for me today. I know that to you, it may not have seemed like you did very much, but your presence allowed Celestia and I a chance to talk without her having to fear my reaction. I would be more than willing to return you to your homes and businesses now that this unpleasant situation has been resolved, and if there is anything I can do to help compensate you for your time, please do not hesitate to ask.”

None of the element bearers reacted at once, prompting Concord to say, “please do not hesitate on my behalf, I am trying to get used to the idea of being free once more. One of the side effects of being a statue for so long is that I stopped thinking in terms of things I wanted to do, and thought rather of things that I shouldn’t do in order to avoid being made a statue again. Now that I am no longer being threatened with immediate petrification, I find myself rather at a loss for what to do. I understand that you may want to help, but there really isn’t anything for you to do, so please, allow me to return you to your homes. It really is the least I can do.”

They seemed to be moved by this, Rainbow Dash was the first, and she just stepped forward and nodded, and in a flash, she was gone. Applejack went next, then Fluttershy, then Rarity, and Concord didn’t really give Pinkie Pie a choice in whether or not to go next. Finally, when there were only the four of them left, Concord turned to Celestia and said, “I believe that now is as good a time as any to discuss my living arrangements for the near future.”

Celestia nodded solemnly, and suspected that she knew why he had kept Twilight with them, rather than sending her home like he had the others. Twilight looked anxiously towards Celestia, likely suspecting Concord’s proposal would involve her, but not being sure what exactly to expect. Luna seemed more interested in Concord’s strange behavior than she was in where he would be staying. She was the one to speak next, even though what she said wasn’t related to his living arrangements.

“Concord, this behavior is most unlike you. Your strange behavior earlier today made sense in the context of your trying to avoid imprisonment, but why are you acting this way now. I don’t see what you have to be so upset about, but I also don’t see what you stand to gain by acting so unhappy.”

Concord sighed, and said in a slow, but more controlled voice, said, “I am starting to realize that just because I am free, I am not truly free.”

Luna did not look satisfied with his answer and said, “what do you mean, not truly free? You are just as free as anypony else, unless there is something that you haven’t told us.”

Celestia shook her head and said in a voice as weary as Concord’s had been, “no, Luna, he is right. Although he may no longer be a statue, he is by no means as free as anypony else. Unfortunately, you can not use your own experience returning from banishment to judge Concord’s current position.”

“Why ever not ‘tia, we were both imprisoned by the Elements, but we have both been freed from our confinement and returned to live peaceably in Equestria. I do not see why we are so different.”

“Because, no other country has any reason to fear your return while every other country has every reason to fear Concord.”

“What do you mean they have no reason to fear my return? I may not have been in control of myself, but I nearly destroyed all life by making night last forever. I realize now that nothing would have survived, so I don’t understand how you can possibly say that they wouldn’t fear me. If anything, they should fear me more because I would have killed them all, inadvertently of course, whereas Concord only wanted to incorporate them into his empire.” Luna felt, even as she was saying it, that it was odd to be complaining that her world ending tantrum didn’t inspire enough fear. She realized how that might sound to the young Twilight Sparkle and to Celestia who had experienced it first hand.

Fortunately for Luna, Celestia realized that she was not complaining about not being feared enough, but rather at the perceived injustice of her getting escaping universal hatred despite the fact that her crime would have been worse. Celestia therefore said, in an embarrassed tone, “Luna, none of the other countries know that you were responsible for the long night, they thought that it was an accident.”

“A.. an... AN ACCIDENT! What do you mean an accident? How could they possibly think that after I prevented the Sun from rising for more than a week?”

“I never told anypony that you did it deliberately because I knew that you weren’t yourself. I told everyone else that you were banished for trying to usurp the throne, and that the long night was a result of my trying to learn how to move both the Sun and Moon. Sure this made the other countries nervous, but they had thought it a purely internal affair. They never had reason to believe that you were behind the Moon not setting.”

“So you mean to say that you covered up everything that I did as Nightmare Moon, and that that is why I can just return to the throne as if nothing happened?”

Celestia could only nod, aware that what she had done was wrong and unfair, but still glad that it meant that her sister wasn’t thought of as a monster. She would probably do it again, too, if she had to, which she hoped she never would. She felt immeasurably relieved when Luna cantered over to her and threw her forehooves around Celestia’s neck.

“Thank you, ‘tia. Thank you for protecting me, even if I didn’t deserve it.” Celestia nuzzled her sister’s neck, thankful once more that Luna was back.

Twilight had watched everything that was happening with a kind of guilty pleasure. She knew that everything she was seeing wasn’t really meant for her. She knew that she was watching three of the most powerful beings to ever have lived discussing some of the darkest moments in their past. And she felt both honored by the trust that they were showing in her by allowing her to be present, but also guilty for being so interested in everything that was going on. She knew that she should want to respect the Princesses’ privacy, and she did, in that she would never even consider doing anything to violate their privacy, but still.... So long as they were revealing forgotten secrets from Equestria’s past, was it wrong that she didn’t want them to stop?

The tender sisterly moment drew to a close when Luna ended the hug and took a step back from Celestia, who turned back towards Concord. Concord had stood completely still and silent during their entire exchange, seemingly lost in his own thoughts. Celestia said calmly, “I suspect that, from your earlier statements, you have already realized that you can’t stay in Canterlot in any capacity whatsoever. If any of the other races learned of your return, there is an excellent chance that they would attack just to ensure that we were in no position to support you should you try to conquer them again. We, “she said indicating herself and Luna, “will, of course, do everything we can to ensure your eventual return to your rightful place by our side, so long as you conduct yourself well, but you must understand that it may be years before anything changes. Our relations with our neighbors are delicate right now, especially with the griffons. I can't even imagine how they would react to news of your return ”

Concord merely nodded and said, voice weary once more, “I understand, of course, that getting everyone to overcome a fear and hatred that has been ingrained in their societies for over a thousand years will be difficult and time consuming. It's of great importance, therefore that we decide where I shall be staying during the interim. I do have a proposal in mind.”

Celestia nodded, and said, “you understand that it is her decision, that I will neither force, nor even request that she do this. It is her choice and her choice alone.”

Concord smiled at this, saying, “I understand, but I do not think that it will be much of a choice.”

Twilight felt positive that they were talking about her, but she wasn’t completely certain what ‘choice’ they were talking about. She interjected as respectfully as she could, “excuse me Princess, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying?”

Concord replied evenly, saying, “Twilight Sparkle, what we are saying is that I would like your permission to reside with you in Ponyville until such time as I am able to return to residence in Canterlot, or until you ask me to leave.”

Twilight was too stunned to speak for several seconds, but when she regained her voice, she nearly shrieked, “are you CRAZY? You, living with me in Ponyville, that would be a terrible idea. I mean, what would my friends think, having an all-powerful spirit of order following us around, and what would everypony else think. And would I be responsible for making sure you behaved, I mean, could I somehow make sure you didn’t do something wrong. No! No! No! No! No!”

She looked frantically between the grinning Concord, who seemed to find her panic amusing, to Celestia who was, to Twilight’s chagrin, also smiling. Still upset, she continued, “am I the only pony who sees all the ways this could possibly go wrong?”

Concord laughed gently at this and interrupted, saying, "yes Twilight. I do believe that you are the only pony who sees all the ways this could go wrong. Not only that, but you seem to be seeing, not only all the ways it could possibly go wrong, but also all the ways it could NOT possibly go wrong.”

Celestia chuckled at this, and said reassuringly, “why don’t you calm down, my faithful student, and tell us what concerns you. Let us see if we can’t find an arrangement that you find suitable.”

Twilight, seeming hardly reassured at all, simply stood there, breathing erratically as she tried to order her thoughts. Concord saw her distressed state and said, “how about if I outlined my proposal, and we can proceed from there.” Twilight nodded cautiously, almost afraid to agree lest she find herself agreeing to the actual proposal on accident.

Calmly, so as not to further distress the panicky mare, Concord began. “I would come to reside in Ponyville in my present form, and while I would keep my name, since it is not an entirely uncommon one, since in Prancish it simply means harmony or peace, I would act as your assistant. The story would go that I am also a student here at the academy who the Princess thought would benefit from some time spent outside of the academies walls. To that end, she assigned me to help you with your studies in the Magic of Friendship, while simultaneously furthering my own magical education under your expert tutelage.”

Twilight’s breathing was more regular now, and she said, “you said that you would be my assistant, but I already have an excellent assistant and your magic, as you have already demonstrated, is much stronger than my own so I doubt there is anything I can teach you, so why do you need me?”

“Because, Twilight Sparkle, I have not been outside of the Canterlot gardens for 1500 years, and I spent 500 years before that building an empire, and I spent my youth as a Prince being groomed to rule. I need you because I have literally no experience being anything that even vaguely resembles a common pony, and I have only ever had three friends in my entire life, and I have at various times either fought, or been attacked by all of them, so I could also use a little help in that department as well. And besides those personal reasons, this arrangement has other benefits as well. residing in Ponyville would mean we, but I really mean I since you would be living in Ponyville whatever your decision, would be close to Canterlot without being exposed to Canterlot society and scrutiny. I want to live by Canterlot for several reasons, not the least of which is that I feel that it is important that Celestia, Luna, and myself make a concerted effort to build a relationship that will not fall apart the moment one of us becomes suspicious of the others, and proximity helps with that. Further, me residing with you means that Celestia will be able to have a pony she trusts keep an eye on me, and don’t bother denying that you wanted that as well Celestia.” Celestia did indeed blush and look slightly guilty, but Concord ignored her confirming his accusation and continued, “and there is one final aspect that I think will make this arrangement mutually beneficial.”

Concord smiled knowingly as he said that, and looked directly into Twilight Sparkles eyes, saying, “I have first hoof knowledge of almost everything that happened during 500 of the most tumultuous and formative years in Equestria’s history, and I am willing to share all of it, with you.” These words had an almost electric effect on the young mare, all of whose reservations about the arrangement were forgotten, buried under the sheer weight of questions she was simply dying to ask. She almost passed out from considering all the possibilities, imagining having THE pony responsible for shaping 500 years of nearly forgotten Equestrian history to herself. The thought of all that knowledge was simply too much, but if she thought he was finished, she was mistaken.

Concord had merely been pausing to let the bookish unicorn consider the implications of his offer, but he wasn’t quite finished. His already pronounced grin turned into a full smile as he said enticingly, “and Twilight, would you believe me if I told you that magic, not just one particular type of magic, but all magic, is also under my control as well.”

The poor unicorn didn’t stand a chance. Faced with the promise of untold quantities of lost history and magical secrets, she fainted, a happy smile dominating her face.

As she lay there, Concord, Celestia, and Luna all broke into fits of uncontrolled laughter. The pent up stress from earlier that day and all their anxiety about the future finally found an outlet thanks to Twilight Sparkle. It was fortunate that Twilight stayed unconscious for as long as she did, for they couldn’t have stopped laughing if they had wanted to.

Not long after they stopped laughing, and a kind of easy silence settled over the three, Twilight began to stir. She was groggy at first, and mumbled some incomprehensible gibberish, but quickly regained her senses. She looked at Concord and said, “so just to be perfectly clear, you are saying that you will live in the library and assist me as I study the Magic of Friendship, and in return for me letting you do this, you will let me ask you about Equestrian history and will teach me what you know about magic.”

Concord, just to play with Twilight’s frazzled nerves said hesitantly, “well, there is one other thing I would like.”

His words had the desired effect, as Twilight was clearly frightened of what he would ask for, given that the rest of the deal seemed too good to be true. He let her worry for just a little while before saying, “I would appreciate it if you would, from time to time, fill me in on some of the details of modern Equestrian history, given that I have been rather removed from it.”

Twilight was so relieved to hear this that she almost collapsed to the ground once more. History lessons, all he wants in return offering me access to vast quantities of forgotten, priceless knowledge of both the history of Equestria and the nature of magic, is the guest room in the library, help making friends, and history lessons. Her horn lit and she pinched herself, just to make sure that this wasn’t some dream or hallucination before saying, “I can do that, so long as it doesn’t distract from my other studies,” she said trying not to sound too eager, and failing.

Concord, still smiling warmly said, “do we have a deal Ms. Sparkle?”

Twilight’s response was an enthusiastic and delighted, “yes!” which was followed by another, and another, and another. And Concord found himself watching as Twilight Sparkle pranced delightedly around him chanting, “yes,” for all the world like a little filly who had just received her heart’s desire. And as twilight slowly transitioned to night, the only sound to be heard in the Canterlot gardens was the excited chanting of the exuberant Twilight.

Author's Note:

Well everybody, whosoever you may be, that's it, the end of part one, or the prologue as I personally like to think of it. I would just like to make a few observations that may help you to understand the character of Concord better, in case any of you have had difficulty puzzling him out.

I will start by explaining his name which although I called it Prancish, really is a french word that means harmony or peace. But while his name may seem benign on the surface, there is some real life subtext that anyone not so interested in history as myself might not know. In modern day Paris, there is a square called, La Place de la Concorde, or the square of peace, or harmony. Never let it be said that the French have no sense of humor because that peaceful sounding square was the site of the main guillotine during the French Revolution. Only the French would name the site of thousands of bloody executions the square of harmony.

I will end these musings first on a personal note, in that I did have an ancestor who was guillotined, most likely in that very square, but I have no idea how to segue into my parting statement, so here is a fitting quote by Robespierre that I feel explains Concord's governing philosophy:

"lf the attribute of popular government in peace is virtue, the attribute of popular government in revolution is at one and the same time virtue and terror, virtue without which terror is fatal, terror without which virtue is impotent. The terror is nothing but justice, prompt, severe, inflexible; it is thus an emanation of virtue."

I do intend to write more, to explain both the history of my interpretation of Equestria and the magic that figures so prominently in it. Until then, farewell.

P.S. This is my first ever fanfic, and since I am unfamiliar with both fanfiction and/or fimfiction etiquette, I have so far avoided outright asking for comments, but I would sincerely appreciate any commentary since the only way I can fix a problem with my writing is if I first know that there is one. Thank you for your understanding, and for having stuck with me this far.

Comments ( 1 )

Interesting story :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment