• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 1,287 Views, 5 Comments

... Of Two Evils - Ponycletian



A powerful figure from Equestria's past returns, creating a dilemma for Princess Celestia who must decide whether to imprison him again, or to release him back into the world.

  • ...
0
 5
 1,287

2

Concord couldn’t recall the last time he had had to work this hard to keep from showing emotion. He had managed to keep his benign smile in place, but only through immense effort. The spectacle had begun when Twilight Sparkle’s sleep addled brain had connected Celestia’s statement that she was not, in fact, dreaming, her still being in bed, said bed’s current location being in the Canterlot gardens, and some strange alicorn looking down at her and smiling. Her reaction to this state of affairs had been... unexpected.

“Oh no, oh no, oh no, I mean, hello Prince-oof...” she had tried to say. The frantic unicorn had attempted to do several things at once, and naturally, had succeeded at none of them. She tried to turn herself to face Celestia, stand up, and look around at her surroundings, all at once. The effect was that she became entangled in her blanket, and fell to the ground before Celestia in a wriggling lump. Undeterred by this development, her horn flared brightly, and in a flash, she disappeared, reappearing a moment later at the foot of her bed. Most likely due to her current agitated state, she had also brought along the blanket in which she had been ensnared. Losing any semblance of composure, she growled menacingly before the offending blanket disintegrated in a flash of purple light. Having finally dealt with that first pressing issue, she rose to her hooves and resumed panicking about everything else.

Celestia tried at this juncture to soothe the increasingly agitated mare. “Twilight, calm down, you have not done anything wrong,” which puzzled Concord briefly, why would Twilight think she had done something wrong? Celestia Continued, “you are in Canterlot, summoned because I have need of the Elements of Harmony, I need your help, Twilight,” she said rather more insistently. This finally broke through Twilight’s panic, which was good because she had been in the process of trying to either teleport her bed, or, failing that, burn it. Presumably to get it out of the gardens where it didn’t belong. All of a sudden, she just froze, her face transforming from one of frenzied panic to one of thoughtfulness as she finally examined her surroundings.

“Wait, how did my friends get here, I know that I am not powerful enough to move us all at once, well certainly not this far and with the beds too. I haven’t heard of anypony strong enough to transport somepony else this far, except for you Princess,” the end of that statement sounded more perfunctory than anything else. The unicorn, still lost in her own thoughts, continued,” but to move six ponies, and their surroundings from Ponyville to Canterlot would require... I don’t even know the math to calculate the magic required.” Her voice tapered off at this, as she looked around for the strange alicorn pony, hoping for answers.

I can see why ‘tia likes this one, this little lavender bundle of neuroses is simply hilarious, and yet despite her obvious fear of, what, disappointing Celestia, she transitioned from terror to thoughtfulness instantly. This could be interesting, he concluded to himself as the lavender unicorn’s gaze settled upon him. Spreading his wings, he flew the short distance between his pedestal and Twilight, coming to rest and immediately lowering himself into a graceful bow. Still bowing, he said, “Lady Sparkle, I am honored to make your acquaintance.” Outwardly, his face was solemn, dignified, but he smiled inwardly as he considered the confusion that his behavior must be causing the pony. Indeed, she was flustered, unused to being showed such deference by an alicorn, the only ones of which she was aware being Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadence.

Doing her best to imitate Celestia’s bearing and tone when receiving dignitaries or important guests, she said, “please, rise and be welcome, but I am afraid that you have me at a disadvantage. You are clearly aware of who I am, but, meaning no disrespect, I must confess that your identity is unknown to me.” Concord could see how she quickly glanced over her shoulder at Celestia, who conferred upon her student an approving nod and smile, before returning to her furious glare once Twilight’s head was turned.

“Really,” Concord said, feigning surprise, “surely such an excellent scholar such as yourself would know of me.” Twilight shook her head and averted her eyes as if it was somehow her fault. Maybe that was a bit unkind, it certainly isn’t her fault Celestia kept me secret, he thought, feeling a twinge of regret at having made the unicorn feel guilty. “I am Concord, Lord of Order, Knight of the Order of Equestria, Protector of the Realm, King-Regent of Equestria, and the Founder and former Emperor of the Holy Romane Empire, at your service.” Concord bowed low once more as he finished, before adding, “but please, call me Concord. Such titles as I possess mean little enough after all these years, and such formality would ruin what I hope will be a friendly gathering.”

Twilight was clearly struggling to understand everything that had just been said, and turned to Celestia for confirmation that Concord’s claims were true. Celestia had bridled at the mention of King-Regent of Equestria, and was still glaring daggers at Concord, who seemed not to mind. Twilight, realizing that she did not have Celestia’s attention, said meekly, “uhhhhhmmm, Princess?” She seemed to be at an utter loss for how to continue, but Celestia, attention diverted successfully from her little staring match, said reluctantly, “I suppose what he said is technically true, but further discussion shall have to wait until later.”

Celestia, face composed and formal once more, looked at Concord, who smiled back placidly. “Further discussion may wait until after the terms of our agreement have been fulfilled. I am going to gather the Elements of Harmony, and you have given your word that you will not interfere.” Turning to look at Twilight, both her face and tone softened as she explained, “Concord has asked that he be given a day in which to convince us that he is no longer a threat to Equestria. A condition of that agreement was that you and the other element bearers be allowed to keep the Elements on your persons to ensure that he does not try something. So, while I am gone, and it will be but briefly, why don’t you go and awaken your friends and explain what has happened so far.” She turned back to Concord, all softness gone once more and said,” and you are not to do anything, for should you touch so much as a hair on any of their heads, you will be back in stone before you can say, breach of contract.”

Concord actually laughed aloud at this, saying happily, “surely you jest, for when have I ever broken an agreement. That wouldn’t be very orderly of me now would it, but semantics aside, be sure to inform Princess Luna that her presence is requested, for that was part of our agreement.”

Celestia, annoyed by his flippant treatment of her remark, said evenly, “I do not recall anything about involving Princess Luna in this affair, and besides, her recent encounter with the Elements of Harmony has left her tired, and unwell, and to ask her to be present for such an odious conversation would be most unkind.”

Concord’s cheery demeanor fell at these words, genuine concern showing through his normally regulated façade. “If you will recall, I was clear that the ponies I was to convince were to be you, ‘tia, Luna, and these six here. But if you feel that asking Princess Luna to visit the gardens to attend these meetings would be too taxing, then may I be allowed to visit her and ask her personally?”

Celestia was surprised by how his voice was almost pleading at the end, but said, “no, Concord. If you insist on her being present, then it will not be you who informs her.” She had spoken firmly, but she knew, by the time she started her second sentence, she knew that Concord would not be dissuaded.

Calmly, Concord said, “I do not insist that she be present, what I insist is that she be informed of my return and of my request that she attend, nothing more, nothing less. If she chooses to decline to attend, that is her decision, but I will not allow you to influence her choice, anymore than I am allowed to influence the choices of the element bearers. Besides,” he said, voice hardening into an accusatory tone, “you have never been the target of the Elements’ power, you have always been the one inflicting their punishments on others.” Concord suddenly looked sad as he finished in a weak voice, “there is nopony alive who knows what she is going through half so well as myself, and if there is anypony capable of doing something to help, then it will be me.” At that, he took off, a grey blur against the sky as he flew towards the chamber that he sensed housed the Princess of the Night.

Celestia, irritated by Concord’s utter disregard of her wishes, something that one might think she would have gotten used to, was not so irritated as to miss this golden opportunity. While Concord was off with Luna, she could gather the Elements and make a few preparations without fear of Concord harming the element bearers, the only true defense she had against his power. She set off at a gallop, unseemly for a Princess, but necessity was necessarily more important than propriety. Calling hastily over her shoulder to a confused Twilight, “I shall return soon my faithful student, wake your friends, and tell them what has happened so far, but under no circumstances should you believe anything Concord says in my absence.”