• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 794 Views, 5 Comments

Midnight Dreamer's Friendship Lesson - KingBronislaw



Princess Celestia has a new assignment for her star pupil, Twilight Sparkle: Help Midnight Dreamer, Princess Luna's student, learn how to make friends.

  • ...
3
 5
 794

Chapter V: Out and About in Ponyville: The Carousel Boutique

The next morning, Twilight Sparkle's alarm clock went off at 7:15 AM, like clockwork, of course. She twitched herself awake, stepped out of bed, and walked to the bathroom. She heard the sound of running water and Midnight Dreamer softly humming to herself. Soon after, the water stopped, but the humming continued. Shortly thereafter, the door opened and out stepped Midnight Dreamer, with a towel on her neck and a towel across her flanks.

"Good morning, Midnight Dreamer, did you sleep well?" Twilight asked.

"I slept OK...but I find it hard to sleep in a strange bed," Midnight replied. "I know that sounds kinda strange for a pony like me." Midnight Dreamer trotted to her space in the loft to finish drying off and freshening up.

Twilight then stepped into the bathroom to attend to her morning ablutions. When the unicorns had finished, they went into the kitchen. Twilight presented oat straw tea and apple danish for breakfast.

Spike and Inky followed the mares into the kitchen. Twilight set a bowl on the floor and filled it with milk. Inky padded over to the bowl and lapped up the milk, purring. Twilight then handed Spike a 20-carat sapphire and the baby dragon wolfed it down.

There was a knock at the door, and Twilight answered it. It was Ditzy Doo with a package. "Hi Twilight!" the mail mare called out. "Your new book, Daring Do and Abraham Lincolt, Changeling Hunters is here!"

"Thanks, Ditzy," Twilight answered. Twilight placed the package on the card catalog file."See you later!"

"Bye, Twilight...see you at the party!" the gray pegasus called out as she flew to her next stop on her route.

After finishing breakfast, the ponies picked up their saddlebags. "Spike, can you watch Inky while we attend to some errands for tomorrow's party?" Twilight asked Spike.

"Sure thing, girls," Spike replied. "Inky's a lot of fun to play with! I'll miss her when Midnight goes home!"

"Bye, Spike," Midnight replied after Twilight. "I'm glad Inky and you like each other so much. We'll be back soon!"

The mares exited the library and walked out into the morning sun as it rose over Ponyville and started out toward the Carousel Boutique.

On the way to the Carousel Boutique, the unicorns encountered Rainbow Dash flying overhead. She was dressed in blue military fatigues and was carrying a dark blue duffel bag with the Wonderbolts insignia stamped on it.

"Sup Twilight?" Rainbow called out to the unicorns below as she descended to muzzle level, so as to better talk to Twilight and Midnight.

"Hi Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called out. "I'd like you to meet Midnight Dreamer. She's from Canterlot, and she's staying with me for a while. We're on our way to Rarity's to pick up a dress for Midnight Dreamer for Pinkie Pie's party to welcome her to Ponyville...and complete a few more little errands...did Pinkie Pie tell you?"

"Pinkie Pie already told me, girls," the cyan pegasus replied. "I won't be able to join you, 'cause this weekend is my training weekend for reserve duty. You know, that 'one weekend a month, two weeks a year' thing. I wish I could be there...but when Princess Celestia calls, you answer!"

"Oh, I forgot to introduce myself! Rainbow Dash is my name, and awesome flying is my game!"

"Pleased to meet you, Rainbow Dash," said Midnight. "Best of luck with your training this weekend...and thanks for your service to Equestria. You and all of our mares and stallions in uniform have a special place in my heart."

"Thanks, Midnight Dreamer...Well, gotta fly!" Rainbow Dash called out as she soared towards Cloudsdale, leaving a rainbow-colored contrail in her wake.

Soon after, Twilight and Midnight reached the Carousel Boutique at 8:59 AM. Twilight rang the doorbell and Rarity opened it.

"Good morning, ladies," Rarity beckoned to her customers. "I just finished your dress, Midnight Dreamer, and it's ready for final fitting. Midnight Dreamer, your dress is on this ponyquin."

On the center ponyquin sat a dress made of royal blue brocade and violet silk cut in a simple A-line. The bodice was trimmed with violet brocade and its sleeves were layered in a pattern that resembled a tulip. The skirt was also layered with an inner layer of violet silk that contrasted to the blue outer layer. The pattern on the brocade resembled the night sky with quarter moons and stars in a tessellated array.

"Wow, that's the prettiest dress I've ever seen!" Midnight exclaimed in wonder. "Can I try it on?"

"Of course...The fitting room is this way, dear," Rarity pointed out as she took the dress off the ponyquin. Midnight set her saddlebags down and carried her new dress it into the fitting room.

After a few minutes, Midnight Dreamer stepped out of the fitting room. She went to the full-view mirrors in the center of the Carousel Boutique to check herself out. Midnight Dreamer looked positively stunning!

"Wow,it's beautiful...It feels really comfy, too. Thanks so much, Rarity! And thanks, Twilight, for telling me about your friend Rarity."

"You look absolutely marvelous, Midnight!" Twilight said in turn. "Rarity, thanks so much! I owe you big time!"

"You're quite welcome," Rarity responded. "And it fits perfectly...not a single alteration needed!"

"Twilight, while you're here, could I interest you in anything?" the seamstress asked her lavender unicorn customer as she packed Midnight Dreamer's new dress into a box with a large purple carousel printed on the lid.

"Well, my party dress that you made for the Grand Galloping Gala last year still fits and looks great, so I've got that covered," Twilight answered. "I was here a few days ago for my mane-do, so that's good...but one thing I never tried is that beauty mud bath you recommended."

"Help yourself, dear, " Rarity said. "The mud bath is behind that privacy screen to your left. Step out of the tub to your right to rinse it off when you're done in the shower stall right next to it. I've set the timer for one hour...it will ring when you're done." Twilight set her saddlebags down, and stepped behind the screen and into the tub of rich, warm, inviting beauty mud.

"Now that we've taken care of your dress, we must attend to that mane and tail of yours, Midnight Dreamer!" Rarity's horn glowed even brighter as she took a book entitled Fabulous Mane Styles for Fashionable Mares from her coffee table and opened it on her sewing table. "Here are some ideas to get you started."

Midnight paged through the book for a few moments. "I like this one, Rarity," Midnight Dreamer said, pointing to a full-page photo of an extremely glamorous mare with a poufy mane. "It looks really beautiful."

"That style is called a bouffant," Rarity explained. "It was first made popular about nineteen hundred and sixty years ago by Marey Tyler Mare and Jackie Oatnassis, and it's coming back into style, because of that show 'Mad Stallions.' That goes to show you that a classic never goes out of style! And I think that would be a most becoming style for you!"

Rarity then powered up her horn and picked up a bottle of Mane N' Tail shampoo and conditioner, along with curlers, a towel and a brush. "Now if you would please step this way to the sink, Midnight Dreamer, we'll make that bouffant happen!"

Midnight Dreamer walked over to the sink and rested her head on the rim. Rarity turned on the water and massaged the shampoo into Midnight's light blue and violet mane, then the conditioner. After about a half dozen washes and rinses, Rarity turned off the water, towel-dried Midnight's mane and rolled in the curlers. She then wrapped the towel around Midnight's head. "Now if you would please turn around with your tail facing the sink, Midnight Dreamer." Rarity directed as she reached for the shampoo. Midnight placed her tail into the sink and Rarity shampooed, conditioned, and rolled it.

Rarity then directed Midnight to a contraption standing off to the corner with a long hose with a cap attached to it. "Time for a dry and a hoof treatment," she said as she took the towel off of Midnight's head and placed the cap with the hose on her head. " Rarity's horn flashed as the contraption roared to life, waking Opalescence and sending her scurrying under the sewing table. "Don't be scared...It's only a hair dryer, Opal baby," Rarity reassured the scared cat while she picked up a blow dryer and started drying Midnight's tail, all the while running a curry comb over Midnight's coat and working a hoof file, hoof pick, and dauber of hoof dressing on Midnight's hooves, while her horn glowed like a giant blue sapphire.

When she was satisfied that Midnight's mane and tail were dry and her hooves were shiny and smooth, Rarity shut off the dryer, took off the cap, took out the curlers and picked up a mane brush and mane setting spray and went to work.

All of this primping and preening felt good to Midnight Dreamer. Other than her cuteceanera a while back, which was a simple affair, she hadn't had this kind of a beauty regimen before. The dreamy cobalt blue pony closed her eyes in bliss as Rarity styled and brushed.

A few moments later, Rarity brought out a mirror. "All done!" the white unicorn shouted. "What do you think, dear...does this new 'do make you look fabulous?"

Midnight opened her eyes...and was astounded. She had never seen her mane look so voluminous, silky, and smooth. She blinked, as the thought she was dreaming. "Wow, Rarity! I've never seen my mane look so pretty!"

"And now it's time to accessorize," as she brought out a small jewelry case. "Take your pick, dear." Midnight chose a pearl necklace and starburst gold earrings. "Wise choice, Midnight Dreamer!" Rarity then brought out a shoe rack and Midnight chose a pair of white satin gaiters. "You're ready for tonight!"

A short moment later, Rarity's timer went off and a few moments after that, Twilight stepped out from the screen, her coat glowing from the mud treatment. "Wow, your mane-do is beautiful! Is that a bouffant?" "I guess that's what it's called, Twilight," Midnight replied. "Whatever it's called, it sure looks beautiful."

"Oh, you'll need something to protect your 'do until tonight." Rarity then flashed her horn on once again and took a violet satin scarf from one of her shelves. "This should do nicely." the fashion pony said as she tied it on Midnight's head.

"And now," Rarity said, her white horn nearly out of magic, but still smoldering, "one last thing." Rarity then took a blue velvet case from a shelf. "This case is for your accessories, Midnight Dreamer. I also wrote down the spell you need to cast for a bouffant mane style if you want to try it yourself and put it in the case, too, so you won't lose it. And Twilight, I have something for Spike - a ten-carat amethyst. He did such a good job kitty-sitting Opal last week! Send him my love!" Rarity popped a big purple gem into Twilight's saddlebag, and placed the purple and white dress box and blue accessory case into Midnight's saddlebags.

"Thanks so much, Rarity," Twilight said as she nuzzled Rarity. "There's no way Midnight Dreamer or I can pay you for this. All of this must cost thousands of bits. And I don't think that Princess Celestia or Princess Luna will authorize this expense, as I don't think I can justify it as anything educational."

"You owe me nothing, Twilight," Rarity responded as she nuzzled Twilight, somewhat astonished that Twilight would say such a thing, "except that you two have a great time at tonight's party! Consider this a welcome gift!"

"Thanks for all you've done, Rarity." Midnight Dreamer thanked Rarity, nuzzling her. "And I appreciate you being so generous with me...I've never felt this beautiful! I'm so glad I got to meet you, and I'm sure we'll be great friends!"

"You're so welcome, Midnight Dreamer," Rarity replied, nuzzling her newest blue pony friend. "You're a beautiful pony. All I ask of you is to always remember that true beauty is on the inside. Generosity, kindness, loyalty, honesty, laughter, and magic are what really make you beautiful, and they're always in fashion! You're always welcome at the Carousel Boutique - not only as a customer, but as a friend!"

"Well, ta-ta for now, ladies!" Rarity called out as her customers walked to the door. "See you at Sugarcube Corner at 7 tonight!"

The unicorns walked out of the Carousel Boutique and started down to Fluttershy's house.