• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 796 Views, 5 Comments

Midnight Dreamer's Friendship Lesson - KingBronislaw



Princess Celestia has a new assignment for her star pupil, Twilight Sparkle: Help Midnight Dreamer, Princess Luna's student, learn how to make friends.

  • ...
3
 5
 796

Chapter III: The Journey to Ponyville

Twilight Sparkle and Midnight Dreamer started down the main hall. Behind them, a unicorn stallion in a tuxedo pulling a cart laden with suitcases called out "Midnight Dreamer? I am the Royal Butler...I have your luggage ready for your journey."

"Thank you, kind stallion," Midnight Dreamer said thankfully. "Oh sir, can you hand me my saddlebags?"

"With pleasure, my dear mare," the butler obliged. The butler took a pair of saddlebags with a quarter moon-shaped clasp from the cart and placed them on Midnight Dreamer's back.

The unicorns walked out to the royal chariot, where a guard opened the door and escorted the mares into the back seat while another guard helped the butler load Midnight Dreamer's luggage into the trunk. When all of the luggage was loaded, the chauffeur shouted "Giddyup!" and the chariot started rolling out of the castle grounds and took off toward the sky.

Cosseted in the plush luxury of the royal chariot, Twilight Sparkle tried to break the ice a bit and make her newest protege feel at home.

"So, Midnight Dreamer, it looks like you just got your cutie mark." Twilight observed.

"Well, actually, I've had it for a while now," Midnight answered. "I got it when I used one of Princess Luna's dream spells to help my big brother Nightwatch with these bad dreams he was having when he was in the Royal Guards...I think they had something to do with that big battle where he fought King Sombra...but I don't really know, 'cause he doesn't want to talk to anybody about it." Midnight then tried to change the subject, as she was starting to get uncomfortable talking about her brother's bad dreams..."I bet you have a lot of friends, Twilight...I don't have really have any good friends...well...maybe one."

"Who?" Twilight Sparkle inquired.

Suddenly, Midnight Dreamer's saddlebag started moving around and out popped a fuzzy black kitten with green eyes. The kitten looked up at the ponies and mewed while rubbing up against the ponies' legs.

"Inky! What are you doing in my saddlebags?" Midnight asked her furry friend.

"So, who's your kitty friend?" Twilight asked.

"Twilight Sparkle, meet Inky. She's my kitty...and my only friend." Midnight told Twilight.

"Pleased to meet you, Inky. You're a cute little kitten, aren't you?" Twilight picked up the kitten and gave her a huge hug. Inky rubbed her face against Twilight's muzzle and purred. "I think you'll like a lot of the critters in Ponyville." Twilight handed Inky back to Midnight, and Midnight tucked the kitten back in the saddlebag.

Soon after, the chariot reached cruising speed and altitude and made a beeline for Ponyville. An hour later, the rooftops of Ponyville came into view and the chariot began its descent.

"We're getting close now," Twilight Sparkle mentioned. "You must be excited, Midnight."

"I guess you could say that." Midnight Dreamer answered tentatively.

The chauffeur called out "Whoa!" to the team. The chariot glided down and landed on Ponyville's Main Street. After landing, the chariot continued on until it came to a stop in front of Twilight Sparkle's house.

"Well, here we are." Twilight said.

The chauffeur opened the door, escorted the ponies out of the chariot, went around to the trunk and unloaded the luggage. With a flash from his horn, he set the bags at Twilight Sparkle's front door.

"Thank you, kind stallion, Tell the princesses that we have arrived safely in Ponyville." Twilight told the chauffeur. The chauffeur climbed back into the driver's seat, and with a "Giddyup," the chariot took off for Canterlot.

Twilight Sparkle knocked and called out to Spike: "We're home, Spike!"

Spike opened the door and greeted the mares. "How was your trip?" he asked.

"Spike, meet Midnight Dreamer." Twilight introduced the blue unicorn to the baby dragon. "She'll be staying with us for a while."

"Pleased to meet you, Spike," the dreamy pony responded.

"Let me take your bags," Spike obliged as he closed the door.