• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 1,378 Views, 13 Comments

The Brightest. - UnderThisToque



Sometimes we miss the obvious, even when it's most beautiful. (DerpyHoovesxRainbowDash)

  • ...
1
 13
 1,378

Storm Clouds

It was Dash’s third day in the hospital.
The morning was cloudy, only a few rays of light breaking through to warm the back of her wings. Nurse Redheart gently unwound the bandage around Dash's shoulder. Dash eagaerly flexed before letting herself hover just above the ground. Twilight smiled from her seat on a hospital bed.
“It looks like it’s healed,” said Nurse Redheart. “How does it feel?”
“It feels great!” Dash exclaimed, flying once around the room.
“Don’t get too exited just yet,” explained Nurse Redheart. “You can fly, but nothing strenuous. I suggest you stay with someone on the ground tonight before flying home tomorrow.” She stressed.
Twilight gigged. “I’m sure Dash’ll find a place to stay.” She said, watching Dash continue to zoom around the room.
"C'mon Dash, let's head out." Twilight said with a wave of her hoof, departing.
“Thanks for all your help!” Dash said with a grin to Nurse Redheart as she drifted behind Twilight.
Once outside, Dash flew in graceful little circles, relishing the breeze under her wings. It was a perfect day for flying. She landed, and trotted alongside Twilight for a few paces.
“You look happy.” Twilight said.
“I am” said Dash simply, smiling softly at the horizon. “I’ll meet you at the library” she said as began to gallop ahead of Twilight, spreading her wings.
“Wait!” Twilight shouted, standing still. “Really? But, you just got out of the hospital.”
“Well, yea, that’s why I wanna go fly.” Dash said, drifting in a circle to rest infront of Twilight. “Nurse Redheart just said no tricks. I’ll only be gone for a few hours. I just need to, you know…” Dash took a deep breath. It was hard to describe. “Just, go.” Although heartfelt, Dash knew her faltering attempts at explanation weren't enough. It was evident in the disappointment on Twilights face.
“Oh” she muttered. “What?” Twilight looked at the ground. “Well, I guess I just thought you would want to spend the afternoon with me, since we haven’t really gotten to be together for a few days.”
“Ah.” Dash said. She knew Twilight wasn’t trying to be needy – the few times Twilight had been able to visit her in the hospital weren’t exactly romantic. But she could also feel a weight settle in her chest as she longingly looked between the perfect sky, and Twilight’s soft eyes.
“Alright, let’s go home” Dash said with a small smile.
“Awesome!” Twilight said excitedly, her dismay suddenly replaced with a grin. They continued walking, Twilight ambily changing the topic to the latest book she had been reading on the structure of wings. Dash gazed upwards as they walked, watching the clouds darken. A small team of pegasuses artfully pieced the horizan together. Little by little, the clouds took on a dark purple, as though stained by wine. "It looks as though theres going to be a storm" Dash mused, but she knew that there was nothing booked for the next two weeks. She had helped write the weather schedule after all. The wind softly blew through her mane. Her heart ached.
"So what do you think?" asked Twilight.
"Good" said Dash.
Twilight frowned.

Comments ( 3 )

Work on the format a bit, and write longer chapters. This kinda story you're going for
will do a lot better if you can explain more in one sitting. Don't cut it off at short intervals,
draw it out as long as you can while still keeping it enjoyable and within your own limits.

434596
That was the one piece of advice I didn't take to in the earlier critique of my writing. However, after a destroyed laptop and finals, I ended up writing most of this on my Android, and just wanted to get something posted. But, I do appreciate the input, and regardless, next chapter will be a long one due to the sheer magnitude of content..

434827

Destroyed laptop? Finals? Written on a phone (or tablet?)?!?! That's dedication. :pinkiehappy:

Can't wait to see more of this story.

Login or register to comment