• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 1,378 Views, 13 Comments

The Brightest. - UnderThisToque



Sometimes we miss the obvious, even when it's most beautiful. (DerpyHoovesxRainbowDash)

  • ...
1
 13
 1,378

The Cliff Face

AN: I ended up trying to finish off the last chapter, but one thing led to another. So yay, here' s a new, short chapter. Please like it so I can justify failing the midterm I have on Monday.

--------------------------------

"How are you?" asked Twilight, still standing in the doorway.

Folding her hooves over her chest, Dash grumbled. "Wishing I hadn't crashed - I feel like I'm gonna be stuck in this hospital room forever."

"Thats what you said last time" Twilight said with a smile, coming to sit next to Dashn on the bed. "I even brought you some more books!" she said eagerly, gently leviataing the books out of her and onto the nightstand. They looked cheery among the wroth of gifts that still covered the table.

Dash couldn't help but laugh. "This reminds me a lot of how we started dating" she said.

Twilight smiled "Yea.."

It had all began the last time Dash had seriously crashed, and ended up in the hospital. She had fractured a bone in her right wing that time. It was also when Twilight convinced her to start reading. Dash had become so addicted that she began trips to Twilights house to finish the series, and Twilight was always happy to have her. One day, when it was Spike who greeted her instead for the weekly book exchange, Dash realized it was more than her new-found love of literacy that kept her coming back. The week after, it was more than soft spoken love poetry that caused their lips to meet. Twilight added stability to Dash's life, and Dash brought adventure into Twilights. Dash let the memories wash over her. The only thing they had ever really fought about were Dash's stunts.

Twilight gently bent down and kissed Dash on the cheek.

"I'm glad you're not mad anymore" Dash said.

The expression on Twilights face quickly informed Dash that that was the wrong thing to say.

"I'm still mad, Dash. I asked you to stop flying so dangerously, because I was afraid this was going to happen. And it did."

Dash sighed. "Here we go again" she thought.

As if Twilight could read her mind, she said "Don't give me that look. Relationships are based on mutual respect. It even says so in my Encyclopedia of Relationships."

Dash knew Twilight was being completly serious. The first time they had this argument, Dash laughed herself stupid at the notion of an Encyclopedia of Relationships. But no, Twilight showed it to her. It even had bookmarked sections. When a disgrunted Twilight presented the color coordinated book, Dash almost suffocated herself trying not to snicker. The only reason she didn't was because Dash liked having a marefriend.

"Twilight, how am I going to get into the Wonderbolts if I don't train?" Dash said, frustrated.

"Well, staying alive would be an excellent idea" Twilight said, her voice snapping a little.

For a moment, neither mare said anything, realizing that it had taken less than ten minutes for them to get in a tiff.

As much as Twilight wanted Dash to reach her dreams, all of Dash's efforts brought her no closer to becoming a Wonderbolt. Twilight wasn't even certain if Dash had the talent. Sure, Dash was talented, but talented enough?
Deep down, Twilight wanted Dash to give up on becoming a Wonderbolt. For her to be a weathermare, earn a steady income. Twilight never mentioned it to Dash though, except once. It was a short and nasty discussion.

"Come here" Dash said, pulling Twilight into a kiss.

Twilight pulled herself into Dash's lap, letting their forheads rest together. Dash wrapped her forearms around Twilights waist. For a while they stayed this way, letting their breath mingle and enjoying the warmth of eachother.

"I was so worried about you" Twilight said.

"I'm sorry"

There was a gentle knock at the door. The two ponies looked up to see Nurse Redheart and Derpy standing in the doorway.

Blushing and mumbling an apology, Twilight scooted off Dash's lap to stand next to her bed.

"Well, uh. Here's Dash's room" Nurse Redheart said with her usual smile, before continuing down the hall.

"Uh, thanks" said Derpy, awkwardly wandering in.

"Hey Derpy" said Twilight uncomfortably, "what brings you here?"

"I brought Dash a get well present, but I can come back later..." Derpy said.

"No no!" exclaimed Dash and Twilight in unison.

"Uh, I love presents," Dash said. "What did you bring me?" she said with a smirk.

"Muffins" said Derpy, lifting a small basket full of muffins off of her back. She smiled gently, and walked over to place them on Dash's lap.

"Wow, they look amazing!" Dash said excitidly. She sniffed the basket. "They SMELL amazing too! Are these carrot muffins? I love those. Thank you Derpy!" Dash grinned.

Derpy blushed a little bit, despite her attempts to conceal it. Her heart skipped a beat.

"It was no problem Rainbow Dash." Derpy said. "I still feel bad it was my fault you fell."

"What?" said Twilight.

"Uh, I'll explain it to you later Twilight." Dash said, gently touching Twilights arm. "It's okay Derpy, it was an accident." Dash gently set the basket of muffins on the nighttable with Twilights books, and the everflowing mountain of presents.

Derpy's eyes caught the pile, her gift suddenly looking small and insignifigant. Embarressed, she silently wish she hadn't brought anything.

Derpy looked between Dash and Twilight, and smiled gently.

"I had better be going" Derpy said.

"Already?" Dash said. "well, thank you for stopping by, and for the muffins!"

"Yes, thank you" said Twilight.

Derpy met Twilights eyes, and again, smiled.

"Feel better soon Rainbow Dash" Derpy said, and left.

Once Derpy had left, Twilight looked happily at Dash. "That was awfully nice of her" she said.

"Yea, it was" Dash said, grinning at her basket of muffins.

"Now, tell me, how was she a part of your crash?" Twilight asked, resuming her place on Dash's lap.

------------

Derpy walked stiffly through the hospital. Between the grey of her coat and the stoney expression, she looked like a cliff face worn by years next to the sea.

Outside, she took to the air. Only once she felt she had made it a safe distance away, the pain overwhelmed her. Her body fell from the sky, her wings only halfheartly beating. She collapsed to the ground, sobbing so hard her ribs hurt.

She had suspected Dash and Twilight were together, but she hadn't wanted to believe it. She remembered the way her heart thrummed in her ears when Dash looked at her. The way her entire body felt electric under her gaze. The rip in her chest as she looked between Dash and Twilight. It was too much for one pony to feel. It was too cruel. As these thoughts hit her, she curled up in the dirt, her whole body shaking.

She had never felt so stupid in her entire life.