• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 590 Views, 1 Comments

Potion Panic - Uber_Shy



Bella Blu and Tempest go on their first adventure

  • ...
 1
 590

A Lesson Hard Learned

Once on the streets of Canterlot, Bella was struck by how regal the city felt. Everything looked neat, bold, and expensive. There were unicorns everywhere. Bella had never seen so many in one place. The cobblestone streets were well swept and, she suspected, magically augmented to suppress noise caused by hooves. She heard Tempest snort, as he saw a pair of rich looking unicorns walking with their noses high in the air. She thought she heard him say something along the lines of, “blue belly bit chasers” under his breath, but she couldn’t be sure. Bella hoped his problem with pretentious rich ponies wouldn’t be a problem, because there seemed to be a lot here.

They reached the inner wall that signified the perimeter of the castle grounds. There was another set of guards at the inner gate. This time Tempest and Bella were stopped.

“What business do you two have in the castle,” the guard on the right challenged.

“We came to seek an audience with Princess Celestia,” replied Bella eagerly.

“You and the rest of Equestria,” the guard muttered.

“What was that?” Tempest asked glaring.

“erm- uh I said that you will have to make an appointment with Soaring Valor to gain audience with the princess.”

Tempest continued to look the guard in the eyes with a scolding look. “And where might we find this Soaring Valor?” he asked.

“Well, he’s with the princess… in Cloudsdale.” The guard responded a little meekly.

“What,” Bella blurted out, “you mean she’s not here?”

“Um… yes she left to attend the Best Young Fliers competition being hosted today.” the guard explained.

“You mean to tell me the ONE time the princess isn’t here is the time we decide to come?” Bella despaired.

“It was rhetorical genius,” Tempest said when he noticed that the guard was about to answer.

“You better watch who you use that tone with young sir,” the guard said, regaining a bit of his authoritative demeanor.

“Oh really,” Tempest asked, “and whom might that be?”

Tempest and the guard locked eyes for a few seconds. ‘Big mistake’ Bella thought. She saw sweat rolling down the guard’s neck from under his helmet. He looked first to his fellow guard for help. His comrade only held is statue like posture. When he saw that he wasn’t going to receive help the guard turned back to Tempest.

“Oh, first that infernal wolf and now this?” The guard finally said. “Be gone with both of you.”

“Come on Tempest let’s go,” Bella said glumly.

As they walked away from the gate, Bella heard Tempest trying to hold back laughter.

“What’ so funny?”

“Oh you know, it’s always fun to see the high and mighty types sweat a little. This time it was quite literal sweating.” Tempest faced forward and smiled to himself.

“Come on. We just have to wait a little while until she comes back. It’s only a couple of hours until sunset, and I’m sure she’ll be back before then to lower it or something.” He reassured his friend.

“Yeah I guess you’re right,” she said.

“Of course I am,” Tempest replied.

They sat down at a restaurant close to the castle. They didn’t talk much, mostly because Tempest was busy eating the three DHT (daisy, hay bacon, and tomato) sandwiches he had ordered. He was about to say something to break the silence and stopped as he noticed something in the sky. He poked Bella so she would look at whatever he had noticed. Princess Celestia’s golden chariot was flying into the city. Bella jumped off of her seat cushion and ran out into the middle of the street. If she wasn’t allowed into the castle then there was only one option left. She quickly cast a voice amplification spell.

“PRINCESS CELESTIA!” She yelled with her amplified voice.

Tempest gritted his teeth as some of the glass windows around her cracked and ponies from as far as three blocks away looked in her direction. At first it seemed that the chariot was going to keep going to the castle. Bella saw the princess lean forward and speak to her Pegasus guards and they turned around. Bella ran to the spot in front of the castle gates where the chariot landed. When she got there she bowed to the princess. Celestia stepped off of her chariot and looked at the unicorn.

“Well you certainly know how to get a pony’s attention,” She remarked.

“Forgive me princess but I have something I desperately need to ask of you,” Bella responded.

“Yes what is it?”

“You see, an experiment of mine has gone horribly wrong. A potion I was brewing has turned my coat from blue to… this” Bella gestured to herself. “Your magic is the only thing strong enough to undo its effects.”

“Hold it right there,” a guard said, “You have some nerve talking to your princess like this. Do you think she will just wait on you ready to…”

“Thank you for your concern Sure Hoof, but it will not be necessary,” Celestia interrupted. “Besides, what kind of princess would I be if I did not aid my subjects from time to time.”
Celestia’s horn glowed yellow with magic. Bella took a step back.

“Are you ready to begin?” Celestia asked.

“Um yes your highness,” Bella said a bit surprised that Celestia would choose right here in front of the castle.
A blinding light came from Celestia’s horn and Bella felt a rush of sensations as magic enveloped her. She remained suspended in midair for a few seconds. She opened her eyes when one of her hooves touched the ground. She looked at the ground and noticed that her legs were still the same color.

“Oh my,” Celestia said, “That is one stubborn dye. Let me try something else.”
Three times Bella was lifted into the air as princess Celestia tried to restore her color. The fourth time she looked at her gay coat and held up a hoof to keep the princess from trying again.

“That’s ok,” she said, “I think we both know this is going to be permanent.”

“Are you sure?” the princess asked, as serenely as ever, “I know I’ve got a few more spells could try.”

“Thank you, but I won’t waste any more of your time,” Bella sighed.

“Very well,” Celestia said, “What are your names.”

“My name is Bella Blu, and this is Tempest. We’re from Wilowshade Meadows.”

“Represent,” Bella heard Tempest say behind her.

“My my, you two have come a long way. Where are you staying?” Celestia enquired.

“We haven’t planned that far ahead,” admitted Bella.

“A good place would have to be The Rise and Shine Inn in Canterlot circle. It’s just a block that way,” Celestia said, gesturing down the street.

“Thank you princess,” Bella said and bowed.

“I am glad to help,” Celestia said before leaning a little closer.

“And between you and me, this easily beats what I’ll have to be doing once I get back to the castle, so don’t feel bad about this impromptu meeting.” Celestia straightened up and smiled. “Now if that is all, I’ll be heading back to the castle.”

“Yes. Thanks again for your time,” Bella said.

“Very well,” the princess said and turned back to her chariot.
Bella felt a hoof on her shoulder. She turned to see Tempest with a concerned look on his face.

“Come on,” he said, “let’s go find that inn.”
They turned and walked down the street together as Princess Celestia was flown to the look out tower.

“You know,” Tempest began, “It’s not really the end of the…”

“I know,” Bella interrupted, “I really do. It has taken me a while to come to terms with it, but this is a part of me now.”

“Right, just, don’t let it define you ok? I never thought turning grey would give you the blues. Get it? Because you we’re blue to begin with and now-”

“Yeah yeah I get it. You are right. I’m still the same pony I was before all this and I won’t let something as simple as a color change bring me down.”

“Ok great because I have a song I’ve been waiting to run by you about our adventure.”
Bella let out a sigh, “sure why not,” she said.
“All right!

A ways back east in a small wooden house
A pony was cooking up trouble
Just one touch of a magical plant
And that brew began to bubble


One quick moment of green catastrophe
And she did turn to me
‘Oh dear Tempest I’ve done it again
Look what’s happened now can’t you seeeeee’

Bella Blu, Bella Blu
She is grey yes it’s true
But she’s quite the mare
Now she’s gonna make it through

Bella Blu, Bella Blu
She better not make me stew
The last thing that I want
Is her to singe my insides too

Now she’s all the way in Cantrlot
She hasn’t bathed in days
And her looks are from Detrot
But you can’t keep this pony down
Not with lemons or limes
She’s just that cool a’ mare even if she
Hates on Tempest’s rhymes

Bella Blu, Bella Blu
She is grey yes it’s true
But she’s quite the mare
And she’s gonna make it through

Bella Blu, Bella Blu
I like her coat yes I do
I like it better when there’s one Luna
Not twoooo

But in all seriousness ponies I’m proud of this mare
She didn’t turn back to normal
But I don’t really care
She doesn’t need to be blue
To be down right stella’
As long as she’s here
She’ll be my
Grey
Friend
Bellaaaaaaaaaa ow”

Tempest punctuated the “ow” by stamping a hoof on the ground, bringing the song to a close.

“Wow… catchy,” Bella remarked. Other ponies on the street were muttering to each other after the public display.

“It’s a work in progress,” Tempest said and smiled with self-satisfaction.

They rented a room at the inn and slept deeply through the night. Both Bella and Tempest would need their strength for the trip home.

Author's Note:

Whew finally done! On to "Blast from the Past".

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment