• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 4,025 Views, 83 Comments

MLP: The School Years - Aether_Ouranos



What would happen if the Mane Six where human? And stuck in a high school?

  • ...
2
 83
 4,025

Rain on the Farm: Part II

PART II

Mac’s truck pulled to a stop outside of the barn on AJ’s farm. “I would help y’all out…” he said as AJ and Dash got out of the truck, “But I have to be somewhere important real soon…y’all can manage on yer own, right?”

“’Course we can Mac! Ah basically run th’ farm when yer not around.” AJ shut the door and waved goodbye to Mac, then motioned for Dash to follow her. “All we’re gonna do today is harvest a few of th’ trees. Ah don’t wanna do much without Mac here t’ help carry the larger loads.” She clapped her hands together and looked back at Dash, who was moodily kicking at a clump of dirt. “C’mon sugarcube…quit mopin’ around and let’s get to work!”

She walked into the barn, followed by Dash, and grabbed a large wooden bucket. “Dashie, can ya grab that ladder for me? We need t’ be able to reach the high branches an’ whatnot.”

Dash grabbed the ladder from the wall and followed AJ out into the orchard. “So, Dashie…” said AJ as they set up at the first tree. “Care to tell me what’s on your mind?

“Nothing’s on my mind…I’m just bored that you dragged me out here. I could have done something fun, or maybe caught up on homework.” She looked up the ladder and saw AJ staring back down at her, giving her a level stare.

“You? Catch up on homework? Now ah definitely know that somethin’s up.” AJ dropped off the ladder and landed next to Dash. She sat in the shade under the tree and motioned for Dash to join her, sitting there. “C’mon sugarcube, you can tell me what’s goin’ on.”

Dash flopped on the ground next to AJ and leaned back against the tree. “It’s just…It’s Gilda. What she did to Penelope and Phoebe is unforgivable…but…” Dash shook her head and sighed. “I loved her…” To her chagrin, Dash’s eyes began to tear up and she looked away from AJ.

AJ scooted closer to Dash and put an arm around her shoulder. “There, there Dashie…it’s okay. Remember what we talked about in th’ dorm?” Dash nodded and leaned again AJ’s shoulder. “Good…an’ remember that your friends love ya more than Gilda ever could.” They sat there for a moment, enjoying the day and each other’s company, then AJ yawned and stretched her arms out to her sides. “Whelp…we’d best be gettin’ back to work now. C’mon Dashie…let’s get these next few trees and then we can catch a quick break inside.” She got up and held out a hand for Dash to grab onto.

Dash took it and pulled herself up. “Yea…I guess you’re right. I mean, I’m glad that I broke up with Gilda, but she was
one of my oldest friends…”

AJ sighed and hit her on the arm. “Stop thinkin’ about it! Yer just gonna depress yerself if that’s all ya think about. Now c’mon and help out. Jus’ relax.”

“I don’t think that working is relaxing, but whatever…Let’s start working!”

* * *

Tori moved through the shelves of the library, trying to locate a particular book that would help her with her project. She rubbed her eyes and looked again at the shelves upon shelves of books. “Okay Tori…the book you need is hiding in here and you are going to find it. Now try and look for the right section.”

It was a little thing she did to help her concentrate, talk to herself. She kept mumbling as she flitted around the shelves, searching for the book. With a pleased noise, she homed in on the section of the library that the book she wanted was in and walked down the aisle, humming lightly and not paying attention to her surroundings. She reached for the book and didn’t notice another person reaching for it. They both grabbed the book at the same time, their hands touching.

Tori blinked in surprise and looked up to see a young man, probably only a year or two years older than she was, standing there, his hand on hers and the book. He looked at her, frowning slightly. He had short, brown hair that was pushed up in the front and wore a dull blue jacket over an off-white button up shirt. He wore blue Converses and blue jeans. “Oh, terribly sorry…Did you need this book?”

He had an accent that Tori couldn’t quite place, sounding like a mix between British and Scottish., but she felt herself blushing just a bit. “No…I mean…yes. W-why did you need this book too?” She looked down, frowning. “I like your accent.”

The man smiles a bit. “Well…I’m kind of interested in this subject and also I need it for a class I’m taking, and thank you. I have been told it’s quite exotic. My name’s David, by the way. What’s yours?”

Tori blushed again a bit. “Uh…Hi, David…My name’s Tori. Say…you look familiar. Have I seen you around somewhere before?”

David frowned and looked at her. “Yes, I believe you have. I think I’m in the same class as you, just transferred in last week. I sit in the very back, so I doubt you’ve seen me. Professor Luna’s class?”

Tori blinked, then realization dawned on her face. “Oh! Now I remember! Gee…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to seem rude for forgetting that you’re new here.”

David smiled and laughed. “It’s fine. I’m taking it that you need this book for the project that we were assigned.” Tori nodded and David thought for a moment. “Do you want to share? There are plenty of places around here that we can go to study.”

Tori smiled sheepishly. “I know…I worked here for a bit and lived up in the flat up above. But then I got kicked out so that the landlady’s daughter could have someplace to live. But I’m living in the dorms now with my friends, so that’s good. Where do you live?”

David sighed and looked away. “Around. I’m never in one place for too long, so I don’t have a set place that I’m staying at. At the moment I’m bumming off one of my relatives that live here.” He motioned towards the checkout desk. “Here…I’ll borrow the book and we can talk about it over coffee, that sound okay?”

Tori nodded quickly, almost a bit too quickly. “Yes! I mean…uh…yes. I would like that very much.” She smiled and suppressed a giggle as she followed David to the desk. Remembering something, she pulled out her phone and sent a message to Spike, telling him that she’d be late to dinner.

* * *

On the farm, Dash and AJ worked quietly, AJ picking apples and dropping them into the basket that Dash held. Occasionally they’d move to another tree, barely exchanging a word. AJ left Dash to her thoughts, figuring that it would be best if she worked out her problems on her own first before she interfered.

AJ set up the ladder to get at the higher branches, climbing up and it and grabbing an apple. To her surprise, Dash spoke up from below her. “Hey…AJ…Um, about what you said earlier. You’re right, that I should give up on Gilda. She had her chance and ruined it by making a complete fool of herself and insulting my friends.”

From up in the tree, AJ smiled. “Good fer you! ‘Bout time you stopped tryin’ to go after her!”

Dash looked up at her. “Well…about that. I’ve kinda…well…fallen for somebody else right now. Someone that’s very
close to me.”

“Oh? An’ who might that be sugarcube? Somebody that we all know?”

Dash blushed a bit to AJ’s surprise. “Y-yes…you know her quite well as a matter of fact. I would be surprised if you didn’t.” She caught the apple that AJ handed down to her. “It’s just…she’s funny and down to earth and a really hard worker.”

Something clicked in AJ’s head and she could feel a blush forming on her face. Was it her? Was she the one that Dash was crushing on now? AJ shook her head and smiled. That would be kind of nice, actually. She had thought long and hard about if Dash ever asked her out, and had decided a long time ago that she would say yes and give her a chance. She didn’t have Dash’s preference, that’s for sure, but something about Dash made her happy to be around. Happy enough that she wouldn’t mind trying to take their relationship to the next level…if asked. “An’ who might this certain girl be?” AJ leaned back a bit, barely holding onto the ladder. She smiled, getting ready to answer the incoming result.

Dash looked up at her, blushing harder. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone until I tell you that you can?” AJ nodded and Dash blushed even more, her face getting as red as the apples she was carrying. “F-fine, but tell anyone and you’re dead!”

AJ laughed and leaned a bit further back. “Go on! Before you die of embarrassment!”

“Fine! The girl I really like now…the best girl that I’ve met in a while…It’s Penelope, AJ. I’m in love with Penelope.”

AJ hung from the ladder, shocked. Penelope? She was the one? AJ was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn’t notice when her grip slipped, leaving her no time to try and catch herself. She fell off the ladder, hitting the ground with a loud thud that knocked the wind from her. She felt herself fading into unconsciousness, Dash rushing over to her and hovering over her. AJ blinked and tried to sit up, but fell back onto her back, her head ringing. She could faintly make out Dash saying something about getting help before she blacked out, with Dash’s words ringing in her mind. Penelope.

Author’s Note

Seems like forever since the last one, and indeed it has been. I’m sorry to say that these will start being farther between each other because I have school and that sucks up a lot of time. This doesn’t mean that I’m not going to be working on it, not at all, just that I need to get my head in the game and start really cracking down on doing work.

This part surprised me a bit, not going to lie. I wasn’t expecting Dash to suddenly switch to Pinkie, but lo and behold she did. For anyone making bets, I ship Pinkie and Dashie as often as I do Appledash. It’s just that it worked out so well for this that I had to keep it. And for those of you how don’t know, I am shipping Tori with David. You’ll find out who he is next Part. But think about any Davids you know that have a mix between a Scottish and a British accent and you’ll soon figure out who it’s going to be.

For those of you worried, AJ will be okay. She didn’t die. I don’t do grimdark like that often. Next part is going to cover her recovery, as well as a few more things.

As per usual, if you have any comments, concerns, questions, please let me know and I’ll mull them over. Thanks so much for sticking around to read this part and I hope you enjoy the next one too!

Comments ( 26 )

Who is David!!1 I can't think of what pony he is, that is to say he is one in the show. Anyways, great story and hope you update soon.

I'm guessing that David might be related to a Doctor?

@rdaniel_76

Yes but the real question is, Doctor who?

David Tennant-The Doctor.

David David, the David.

PinkieDash? I was hoping for TwiDash.

I went to go read the next chapter then i realized it wasn't up yet

JUST A QUICK UPDATE! PART VI IS ABOUT 45% COMPLETE! I HAVE A LOT OF SCHOOL STUFF TO TAKE CARE OF AT THE MOMENT, BUT EXPECT SOMETHING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. I AM SORRY TO KEEP YOU ALL WAITING!

THIS ISN'T DEAD I PROMISE BUT SCHOOL HAS BEEN REALLY REALLY HARD AND I FEEL SO BAD FOR MAKING YOU ALL WAIT ;A;

376043 Hey, it's cool. As long as you get it out sometime, right?

Would this david be either doctor whooves or Discord? Cause I can't really think of any other Ds.

Let me just say I LOVE this work. I like how it portrays them as regular humans in a school setting, which love. I know you're busy with school so I will wait patiently for an update, I just wanted to show my gratitude for your amazing work and I cannot wait to see what more you do with this very interesting world you have created. Thanks again and I eagerly look forward to further updates. :heart::twilightsmile:

David Tennant, Tenth Doctor, (Doctor Whooves, Hourglass Cutie Mark)

Waaah. No. This must not die. It has been 32 weeks and I have found it collecting dust in my favourites section.

If not TwiDash it must be AppleDash!!
No RainbowPie!!:flutterrage:

plz someone pick up where this left off:fluttercry::fluttercry:

Is this story dead in the water?:fluttercry::ajsleepy::rainbowhuh::pinkiegasp::raritycry::twilightoops:

Comment posted by Drifting Heart deleted Jan 24th, 2013

the author hasnt been on in 43 weeks and the story hasnt been updated in over a year so basically the story is RIP:fluttercry:

It's been forever since you updated this! When can we expect another chapter?

Is this still going on?:rainbowhuh: its really good :rainbowwild:

Don't know why, but lately i have been obsesed with humanized high school/college fics. I can't find enoug of them!!!!!!!
:applecry:

At the end of chapter four, i was all like, please don't let it be appedash, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! And now, i'm all like, What a relief!

Login or register to comment