• Published 27th Mar 2024
  • 247 Views, 7 Comments

Haunted by the Sunset - SleepyAuthor



“Here lies Sunset Shimmer.” (They were unable to recover her body from the magical rainbow beams.)

  • ...
 7
 247

Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Sunset Shimmer was dead.

That was not fiction, that was facts.

Blasted to death by a rainbow laser beam, with no body to be found. It was like a death from a comedy, but she wasn’t laughing.

Oh no.
She was seething.

Forced to haunt the school with no means of escape, she sits and waits for someone to summon her, whether it be a stupid dare, or an actual desire, she didn’t really care.

As long as she eventually got her revenge.

But until then, she would bide her time by writing. A stupid hobby that she could never break. Especially not when someone picked up the journal...


Today was a slow day.

There were whispers among the corridors about a new student enrolling into the school. While new students were not a big deal, considering the last “new student” who had arrived turned out to be a pony princess from another dimension that was eerily similar to theirs, some people were suspicious.

And who could blame them?

Principal Celestia was sure to be doing more background checks on people whose behaviour she deemed “suspicious”, something that she probably should have done with Twilight when they had first met.

But then again, teenagers were weird in general.


As the bell rung for the first day of the new school term at Canterlot High and everyone headed to their classes, a student exited the principal’s office with a plan and excitement. Heading to her first class, her fiery red hair covering one half of her face (Her style, she liked it.), she walked down the halls, eager to meet her classmates, though probably not for the reasons of making friends.

Friendships weren’t Mystic’s thing. Friendships were NEVER Mystic’s thing.

Despite being good at many things, and having many different friend groups over the years, Mystic had noticed a pattern. The amount of times she had been left behind. Or used for personal gain. It stung.

So, this year, she resolved to not let friendships take over her mind, letting them drift off to the side, her goals in the centre. Determination was a virtue she always had, even when young, and something she would plan to keep.

The leather book in her bag vibrated, yet she did not reach out for it. Instead, she headed off to her first class of the day, Maths. (Unfortunately for her, since she sucked at it.) The cool classroom breeze helped soothe her nerves as she entered, claiming a spot at the back, so she could go undetected if she needed to do anything against the rules. This is how it would go for most subjects. She’d make sure she was the first one in the classroom, not just to make a good impression as a punctual student, but to claim suitable spots neat the back in the class that were close enough to the door to ensure that she had an exit if there was any...magical emergency.

Not that there would be any, of course. Just that Canterlot High was stirring to life with magic.

Huh, maybe the girl she wrote to was correct after all.

She surveyed her classmates as they began to enter the classroom with mild curiosity. A rainbow-haired girl was first. She zoomed in. She seemed sporty, though it was far too early for Mystic to judge. Magenta eyes, black leggings, the entire look screamed “I LOVE SPORTS!” in big, bold, letters, however. Mystic watched her come closer, not really interested in making conversation with anybody. It wasn’t that she was a loner, of course. It’s just that big groups would forever make her nervous. And it was crystal clear to her that the sporty girl was in a group, the way the others followed her with a look of familiarity on their faces, small smiles present on each. With the exception of the pink one, who was bouncing up and down eagerly, a huge grin on her face, cotton-candy themed pink outfit, sugar galore.

Diabetes galore.

She checked her phone.

9:15AM

It was interesting to see just what she could discover about her classmates just by looking at them, without any conversation needed. While they didn’t seem ALL that stereotypical in outfits and choices, their personalities seemed to shine through their choices of clothing and regular behaviour patterns. It was almost like a hobby of hers, to guess what they were like.

She was eventually so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t even notice when someone tried to get her attention. That is, until someone was brave enough to tap her on the shoulder.

She had flinched slightly at the sudden, unexpected contact, and looked up to see who had tapped her. Only to see everyone sitting down in their seats. Briefly shaken by that, her purple eyes looked towards the board. Seeing nothing written down, realising that the teacher for the year was not yet present, she took out her journal in anticipation and began writing.

Mystic snapped her journal shut and her eyes followed the teacher as he entered, taking in his appearance. She didn’t think much of him, he just looked fed up of his job. While he quieted down the class, he wrote his name on the board.

“I’m Mr. Doodle, I shall be your maths teacher this year. Most of you are familiar faces, but some names are new on my register, so introduce yourselves as briefly as you possibly can.”

Mr. Doodle went to sit down as everyone began to introduce themselves, starting at the front. Mystic paid slight attention, learning everybody’s names, but she doubted she would remember all of them in one day. Several names did stick out to her however, for some unknown reason.

Why did they seem so familiar?

Rainbow Dash.

Applejack.

Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie.

Rarity.

Damn, even the girl’s surname was sporty.
And now she knew that Pinkie Pie was the name of the girl with the candy galore.
She waited until it was her turn to introduce herself. She would keep this brief. Simple.

“Hi. I’m Mystic, nice to meet you all.”

She sat back down, feeling her face burn in embarrassment. Mr. Doodle nodded; glad he could now continue with his lesson. She didn’t fail to notice that people were staring at her, particularly the group of friends, them giving her the oddest looks out of all her new classmates. She gave an awkward wave, silently cursing herself for even trying to act friendly in the first place.
She knew being friendly wouldn't get her what she wanted.
It never did before, so why would it now?

The journal vibrated with newfound vigour as Sunset roamed the halls.

Dear Sunset Shimmer...

Author's Note:

Hey everyone!
New fic approaching!
I really struggled to get back into the flow of writing fandom things, so to make things slightly easier to myself, I decided to drag my OC into this.
Mystic.

This Au is something I'm hoping to expand upon when I get the time.
Until next time, dear readers!

Comments ( 7 )

So, is nobody going to talk about Pony Twilight or the Human 5/Rainboom's potential trauma and regret that they actually KILLED someone with the "Friendship" laser!!??

And it will also mess up Pony Twilight's trust with the elements, because she will never thought they would kill someone, even if it was Sunset in demon form.

11861865
Don't worry, that WILL 100% get mentioned in the future, I've been planning this for a while. This chapter was pretty much an introductory chapter in general.

The Humane 6 assumed, ESPECIALLY Twilight, that she's not actually dead, but since she could sort of do magic, she was able to escape somehow.
(Which they use to speculate the strange occurances of Magic that happen in chapter 2, with people still seeing Sunset to a certain degree.)

Sort of like how missing people cases occur, people speculate, and the missing person's body is eventually found dead after days of searching.

Sunset's body was never found.

And for the second part of your comment about Twilight not trusting the elements again, didn't the elements technically kill multiple villains in the FiM series? Though I could be remembering wrong, I need to rewatch.

11861865
Also, forgot to mention the Magical "Friendship" Laser killing was a result of The MAGIC element of Harmony being brought into the Alternative Universe.

The thought of sunset shimmer dying from the elements never occurred to me. I’ve read stories about them punishing the mane 6 and dooming the dazzlings but nothing like this.

11861865
I thought you liked it when the elements did stuff like that.

11862115

It depends in different circumstances.

And I was mainly talking about how pacifists like Pony Twilight or even the Human Five/Rainbooms would feel about doing the killing when they weren't meant to.

Login or register to comment