• Published 12th Dec 2023
  • 195 Views, 4 Comments

…And Now the Tide Hides His Corpse - MlpHero



We regret very much to inform you…

  • ...
1
 4
 195

3-4-9-9-1

…And Now The Waves Hide His Corpse

By MlpHero

Dear Ms. Harmix

It is with heavy hearts that we regret very much to inform you and your husband, Sir Lyinx, that your dear son, Private First Class Ahmarax was killed in action on the 14th of June, at the 11th hour, in the waters around Mt. Aris. We sincerely apologize for the sudden and shocking arrival of this unfortunate news and would like to extend our sympathies and prayers. We send our consolations.

His death was instantaneous, he did not suffer, which could not be said for the many who either drowned or bled to death. His battalion, the coveted and well-respected 1st Battalion of the Queen’s Devil Horns, was leading the first wave of an assault onto Mt. Aris, and your son’s squad, 21st Squad, was amongst the first wave to leave, set to land rowboats upon Mt. Aris’ shore. He along with Privates Golix and Helt, Corporal Silkwyrm, and Sergeant Luima were sat in rowboat number twelve, nicknamed “Luci”, when they launched from the prestigious and beloved ship, the WSS Belostomatidae, around the end of the 10th hour.

There were approximately fifty rowboats of four to five changelings in the first wave, your son amongst them. Waves were said to be calm, with heavy fog setting in. Each boat held one rower, two ready infantry, and one navigator, your son being his boat’s navigator. They were set to land at the beginning of the 11th hour of the planned assault and subsequent victory and were expected to face very little defense from Queen Novo’s infantry and navy, which hadn’t yet engaged the Belostomatidae and wouldn’t for the rest of the battle. They were to then take the mountain and village for use in future projects and strategies by the Water Striders and Raging Hornets

They were a few minutes away from landing and all would have begun to prepare to set their hooves on the beach. Then the fog began to clear, and as they approached the shore, and due to the fog clearing, the hippogriffs shot automatic bolt-throwers at our boats from cliffside positions, sinking a few of our boats, and leaving others empty. Soon after, their cannons would fire as well, shaking the once-calm water and demolishing any boats that were struck.

It was stated by witnesses that your son, despite being his boat’s navigator, picked up his longthrower and fired valorously at the hippogriffs who fired upon them. Despite the rocky waves and loud popping, your son has been credited with killing two hippogriffs, shutting down two of their automatic bolt-throwers. He was also stated to have attempted to save a comrade who was thrown off the boat.

It is this bravery that sinks our hearts further, as then a cannon shot your colt’s boat, killing him and all amongst his squad, destroying the boat and sinking what equipment they had. Due to the tragic and unfortunate nature of his death, it was impossible to get his remains away and we deeply apologize for this. Had he fallen upon the shore, we would have brought him back to rest in his homeland.

He and several of his friends now forever rest in Mt. Aris’ waves, possibly deep inside the intricate underwater caves, where they sank. In the face of this grim day, his and many others’ names were soon memorialized in a nearby cave, where the survivors of the first wave and the subsequent two following waves carved the names of the fallen along the walls, now dubbed the Hall of Heroes by a Corporal Foresight.

In the aftermath of this harrowing battle, Queen Novo XVI, recognizing the shared toll of conflict, oversaw the care and then peaceful departure of our survivors and initiated a truce with Queen Chrysalis. Our royal majesties, in a rare moment of unity, acknowledged the necessity of forming an alliance between our armies and navies, believing that we should have strength in numbers.

With regard from the hippogriffs, officers, and all the soldaty, we send our deepest sympathies and most heartfelt condolences to you and your husband, and we hope that you will be able to accept this loss. You will forever have our sorrows and we all pray to Cocoon above that he has found peace.

Your son always did his duty as a longthrower bug, and bravely fought against the Equestrian foe, and now has died to protect our Queendom and our Bugland. We were honored to have served alongside him and his squad, and we await the day we will see him again, we know that Cocoon will keep him safe in the realm above. If it is any condolence, your son has been awarded the Queen’s Greenfire Heart medal for his sacrifice, which will be delivered along with this letter by a Private Baxter, who launched with Ahmarax on that day.

We believe you’d like some help in remembering him. We plan to host a funeral in the Hall of Heroes next week, Wednesday, transportation will be provided. We invite you to attend for your son. If you wish to attend, be there Tuesday at the 15th hour, there you and many others will board the WSS Damselfly or the NRN Novo. Food, water, and bed will be provided on the ships for the two-day-long journey forward and back. The event will last until the end of the week, and there will be a bolt-thrower shooting, a mass prayer, and we will have a mass burial of any sentimental items, which we will hide between the waters and sands of Hippogriffia.

We hope you both understand that despite this tragic loss, his death will not be in vain. He died bravely, and for this, you both should feel proud. We assure you that due to your son’s sacrifice, you and any future children you may have will receive benefits courtesy of the Devil Horns.

His number was 3-4-9-9-1 to us and all of the battalion.

With my true sympathy, yours faithfully, General Granite of the Devil Horns. May this War soon end.

Comments ( 4 )

Really impactful short fic, great work

You inspired me to write my own version of this story. The whole story that I'm gonna write will be in letter form. If you have the Equestria font installed on your computer, then use that font to read the story. It would be cool to read like from an actual letter from Equestria.

Ohh i LOVE letter fics like this :3 :twilightsmile: but oh so sad... :( poor changeling, I can't imagine the pain the mother is going through! :ajsleepy:

11773023
Thanks Mels, glad you enjoyed!

11773040
Ooh, that's cool! Glad I could inspire you

11773061
I'm glad you enjoyed this!

Login or register to comment