• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 1,447 Views, 50 Comments

Arcane Equilibrium - Prane



Plot against unicorns thickens! After unfortunate events of the last Nightmare Night, Trixie’s pursuit after the mysterious cult continues. Will she be able to find an ancient artifact while seeking revenge herself?

  • ...
3
 50
 1,447

Epilogue

Arcane Equilibrium
by Prane
Epilogue

Poof!

The sound of a resolving teleportation spell was heard and Trixie appeared inside a pink cloud of smoke, just to fall on her face. She stood up hastily, ready to fight the attackers.

But there were none.

In fact, she was no longer anywhere near that destructive twister. She wasn’t even in the forest.

Trixie was standing in a grassy field with cold, whipping wind as the only companion. It seemed that she had landed on the plains north from the forest embracing Hollow Shades, judging by a high, solitary Canterlot mountain to the west. She realized what just happened only after the initial shock had worn off.

She actually used magic to teleport! That was a reason to celebrate! Just wait until Twilight hears…

Trixie froze. Twilight Sparkle was nowhere near, but if Trixie was able to teleport away, surely the other mare could, too. She’ll surely materialize any moment now. Any second…

She didn’t.

‘No, no, NO!’, Trixie protested, looking up at her horn. ‘Stupid, unpredictable unicorn magic!’

She felt as if she had abandoned a friend, and since there were only a few ponies in Equestria Trixie considered to be her friends, not being out there for one of them in the time of need was utterly devastating.

‘I’m not leaving you out there!’, she shouted, dashing towards a distant line of trees, but stopping shortly after. ‘But I can’t take all those… magicalized ponies by myself! What to do, what to do?’, she started trotting in circles. ‘Think, Trixie, THINK!’

She was trying to come up with some bold plan to save the day, but instead found herself walking into a statue of griffon that suddenly – from her point of view – appeared in the field. She stepped around it, mumbling an excuse.

Wait, what?

That was no statue – it was a living being. Trixie approached him with caution. He had a silver coat and was much larger than the average griffon, not to mention he was quite muscular. Standing still and staring blankly into the distance, he really look… statuesque. What was he doing here, anyway? He couldn’t possibly live here, he had to…

Oh.

The Amber Aerie was missing one griffon when Garrote gave her report to Gilda the other night. One that could supposedly fly all the way from the Kingdoms to Equestria without breaking a sweat. What was his name, again?

‘Are you Gabriel of the Amber Aerie?’, Trixie asked and move closer, but immediately jumped out upon seeing that his eyes were veiled with silvery mist.

She had seen that look before.

‘Long time no see, agent.’, a well-known voice from behind said.

Trixie, now pale a sheet, slowly turned around. For a brief moment she had actually believed she saw a ghost. A ghost who looked exactly as she remembered him from that memorable Nightmare Night gala in Canterlot, minus the cape, which was revealing his moon and shield cutie mark. He stood still, keeping a straight face and not revealing any emotions, as usual.

‘You…’

Without further delay, Trixie charged at Moonwarden, sparkling up her horn.

Comments ( 7 )

So this is it!
I hope that reading my story was a enjoyable and worthwhile experience for all of you. Did you like it? Then give it a thumbs up, fav, or just express your satisfaction - or dissatisfaction - in the comments section!

Also, as the final installment of The Conclave Trilogy won't happen anytime soon, I would like to turn your attention to Peaceful Nights - a story which is set before Shadows of Canterlot and tells the story of well-known unicorn Moonwarden prior to the said events. How did he get into this? Were the nights really that peaceful? And who is he, exactly? This, and more, comes from Gulheru; it's his first published story, so go give him some love! NOW!

I'll be working on my Batman fic now. In the meantime, I'll keep rewatching old episodes and writing various stuff on my blog. Especially that post, if you feel you're missing something from The Conclave Trilogy.

Also, I'm happy to announce that I uploaded a revised version of Edge of Reason, from which it all began. RELIVE THE BEGINNING and stuff. Also new cover and ~500 words added, yay!

There are many people I'd like to thank for helping me with Arcane Equilibrium, but I want to wrap them all up when I'll finish The Conclave Trilogy. In other words, commenters and contributors shall not be forgotten!

Twilight is left to the mob and Trixie is confronted by Moonwarden, who Trixie thought was dead. You sir, really know how to end a story with a cliffhanger.
I HATE IT!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:
However, I really did like the series. I look forward to Showmare's Gambit.

2568626
I would usually be too afraid to reply to a comment consisting of three angry Fluttershys and a giant 'I HATE IT', but since you've been giving me a feedback since the very beginning, I'd like to hereby thank you for that! Because of you, I was able to monitor whether or not a reader could pick up nuances and hints that I wanted to weave into chapters - and for that, I am grateful! :twilightsmile:

5583863
I think that was never properly explained but I have an answer for you anyway.

Mirrorless tells a tale of Rarity's venture into the Everfree Forest, quite perilous in fact, and if there was an extra epilogue to that piece it would be a scene where Rarity is being helped out by another member of the Conclave. The two would then have a talk after which Rarity would understood how dangerous magic is, and why there must be ponies protecting it.

Then again, I never wrote or hinted at such scene until now.

Well, since you never did actually write the sequel, I guess this is the end of this storyline for Trixie and co :trixieshiftleft:

6706885
Indeed, the conclusion in form of Showmare's Gambit (that's how the third story in this trilogy was supposed to be titled) never came and never will, as explained somewhere here. As for Rarity's other adventure, that was actually a reference to another super old story of mine, Mirrorless. If you're interested in the character of Moonwarden, check out Gulheru's Journey with a Batpony since he has a role there.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for poor quality of just about everything in this story and its prequel. I do hope you'll find yourself commenting under some of my newer works as well - it's always good to know what people think about each of the chapters, or particular scenes individually. :twilightsmile:

6707539
Hello author, I just finished the last chapter, I started to read this series because of Moonwarden. (he is also a character of the story Journey with a batpony of Gulheru)
I know this is one of your first stories, but I found it very captivating and pleasant to read and I'm a little sad that its sequel has been cancelled.
In the Journey there are so many references to this series that it feels like a sequel of it.

Login or register to comment