• ...
 1
 255

The Day It All Changed (Radiant I)

Radiant woke up with a smile, as she always did. The sun was shining brightly today, bathing everything in her room with its golden glow, making it appear even more magnificent than it already did. It made her truly wish to preserve the essence of the beauty of daybreak, and in her opinion, there was no better way to do that than through a song.

"The birds are chirping, twitter twitter twitter
As the golden sun shines brightly through my window
I can hear the ceaseless flow of the river
Oh these mornings set my heart aglow

Mornings, oh so serene and beautiful
Mornings, perfect for singing a song
Mornings, mornings so utterly wonderful
Mornings in Coltuxor, the land where I belong

As a filly dan-"

Radiant suddenly halted, the magic of the serenity fading with a loud knock on the door.

"Come in!", she called out.

The door creaked open and in stepped a lavender mare, with forest green eyes and a light green mane.

"Good morning Brussel Berry", she greeted cheerfully, gently smiling at her former nanny and the head of staff at her house but all she got in return was a sigh and an exasperated look. What had she done so early in the morning to deserve such a look? Radiant couldn't help but feel perplexed.

"Brussel Berry, why do you look so aggravated?", Radiant questioned when it became apparent that Brussel Berry wasn't going to start this conversation.

The mare pursed

"Milady, why? Why must you keep defying your parents' wishes? The dear Duke and Duchess have repeatedly expressed their disapproval of your inane desire to become a songstress", she tutted, shaking her head disappointedly.

Radiant felt a pit of coldness in her stomach. She realised that she had, in her eagerness, forgotten the sound-proofing spells she applied to her room everyday.

Oops.

Still, she refused to apologise. After all, she had nothing to apologise for. This was a fight that she refused to forfeit, she couldn't forfeit. They'd see things her way, she knew it. She just had to convince them, make them listen, somehow...

Radiant straightened her posture and met Brussel Berry's gaze with determination. "Brussel Berry, I understand my parents' concerns, but this is my dream, my passion. I won't abandon it. Singing brings me joy and purpose like nothing else. I believe that if they could see how dedicated I am and witness the happiness it brings me, they might change their minds."

She paused, taking in a breath, before continuing on, "I don't wish to upset them, I truly don't. I'll make them understand, believe me I will"

She raised her head, meeting Brussel Berry's gaze briefly, before the mare sighed, shaking her head, looking at the filly in a manner that could only be described as exhausted, as though dismissing her as a lost cause, which Radiant had to admit she was, at least from their perspective.

"Anyway, I did not come all this way just to scold you. An invitation to attend a dinner has been extended to your parents. It shall be a grand celebration, with even our majesties in attendance.

It is scheduled for tonight and it is expected of you to be prepared for it and at the very least, ensure that you do not do anything that could harm your family's good name", Brussel Berry stated, her tone taking on the colder, expressionless and more business-like tone that Radiant absolutely detested.

"I understand", Radiant replied, equally as curt.

"Good", Brussel Berry pursed her lips, before turning around and silently departuring.

Once she left, Radiant shut the door, placing a few magical locks on it, along with the sound-proofing spell she placed on her room every single day.

She walked over to the window, sighing as she leant over it, enjoying the view of the beautiful gardens. She wondered when that day would come, when she could sing out in the open, strolling through these very gardens as she did so, without any complaint. She wondered when she would be allowed to be herself.


The day that passed by was as normal as it ever was. There were lessons on history, politics and all else that a lady and a future duchess would need to know.

Afterwards, her mother brought her along to her routinely tea with her friend, Glittering Gem, followed by a visit to Madam Clairvoyance, the family soothsayer, who as always told them that they would live good lives and that Radiant would have a 'divine future ahead of her'.

Finally, at the end of the day, it was time for the banquet. Thankfully! While it wasn't going to be the be the most exciting celebration ever, it was at the very least better than all her lessons and hearing her mother gossiping with Glittering Gem while Radiant had to distract her toddler, who, despite being a sweet foal otherwise, would salivate over everything.

She had just put on her gown, a three layered masterpiece created by Radiant herself, when her door was knocked.

Deciding not to bother with a reply, she simply used her magic to swing the door open, turning to the maid-servant who entered, struggling to put a name to the face. She must have been newly hired, for generally, Radiant could easily name all the attendants. It had something to do with flowers, perhaps Aster Lily no, Petunia Shine, Sunfl- Ah hah! Jasmine, Wild Jasmine.

"It's time to leave, milady. Your father awaits you and your mother in the hall", Wild Jasmine notified. Her ponish had a slightly different accent, probably because she was an earth pony rather a unicorn.

"Thank you for the notification. I shall come in a few minutes", she nodded , smiling genially.

The servant bowed in response before turning around and exiting.

After a final once-over in front of the mirror, Radiant deemed herself and decided to teleport downstairs, where she found her father impatiently pacing in the hall.

"Finally you're here! Now, by any chance do you know when your mother will finally be deeming to grace us with her much-awaited presence", Dinero Gelt drawled sarcastically.

When Radiant shook her head in response, he mumbled a series of "Of course not" distastefully.

It was around five minutes afterwards that her mother, Bejewelled Coronet, descended downstairs, clad in a beautiful teal gown that went well with her aquamarine coat and ocean green mane, bringing out her bright blue eyes, the same eyes Radiant had inherited.

Radiant wondered why her mother had not simply not teleported down, however she then concluded that her mother simply wanted to make a grand entrance, if the way she had swished her dress as she climbed down the stairs was anything to go by.

Her father too seemed to be wondering the same thing, although he didn't seem to have reached the conclusion Radiant had, if the irritated scowl etched on his face was anything to go by.

"Ah, it appears that somepony has finally decided to grant us the privilege of her presence. Finally tired of looking at youself in the mirror, my dear?", he sneered, turning away dismissively.

Radiant held back a sigh at the heartbroken look on her mother's face, which swiftly morphed into rage.

"Well, at least I look good, which is more than I can say for you", she cuttingly remarked, glaring harshly at Dinero Gelt, or at least the back of his head as he refused to even look at his wife.

Despite not being able to see his face, Radiant knew that her father's eye had twitched.

"Let us go now. It would be rude to be more than fashionably late", he curtly stated, stiffly marching out of the front door. Radiant could hear him calling for the coachmen to draw up the carriages.

"You look beautiful mother. That dress goes well with you colour palette", Radiant whispered, earning a small, slightly sorrowful smile from her mother.

"Thank you dear. It's good to know at least someone thinks so", Bejewelled replied, her eyes glazed by unshed tears that were swiftly blinked away, before slowly making her way out to the yard, Radiant following her tentatively.

By the time the had reached, the carriage had already been pulled out, with the coachstallions strapped in and ready to pull it, while her father was straightening his tuxedo and patting down his hair, levitating a hoof mirror in front of his face.

One of the servants stepped forwards and opened the door for the carriage door for the three of them, allowing them to step inside, which they did gracefully.

The journey was long, but shorter than Radiant had expected. Her parents talked about their plans, the coachstallions conversed with one another, while Radiant spent her time looking out of the window and admiring the scenery.


Their hosts’, Pampered Ruby and Cosseted Nobleman (his parents really must have wanted their son to become a Nobleman, one of the highest positions in the king’s court), had a grand mansion. It was bigger than theirs, but lack all the gold and silver patterned curtains and crystallised sculptures.

Once they stepped inside, they were greeted by a mare and a filly, whom she assumed to be Duchess Pampered Ruby and her daughter.

“Greetings, Duke Dinero Gelt, Duchess Bejewelled Coronet, Lady Radiant Beam”, the mare spoke, smiling, as she curtsied. She had a lavender coat, red mane with maroon streaks that was styled in a bun along with sapphire blue eyes, brighter than her daughter's much darker ones.

“Welcome to our abode. I hope thou enjoy thyselves”, the filly stated, sounding quite a bit less enthusiastic. She had a brilliant white coat, dark, midnight blue eyes and black mane with an indigo streak that was freely flowing though seemed to be held up by magic.

Some servants came and silently guided them to the dining room, asking them if they needed anything and left after her father replied negatively.

It was beautifully decorated, she had to admit. The long tables had been covered by trimmed silk blue and silver cloth. The plates and spoons were made of gold.

There were food counters with all sorts of marvellous cuisines, servants behind each counter to serve them food and there was a separate counter for beverages. A lot of space seemed to have been cleared up though, probably for the dance. Ponies were amicably conversing over glasses of wine, or at the dinner tables.

"Hello Radiant Beam", a voice called out. She almost jumped, startled, and turned around. It was one of her mother's friends' son, Blessed Relief.

"Hello to you to, Blessed Relief", she greeted back and the two started a conversing.

Radiant didn't particularly care about what new place he had visited with parents or the latest spell he had mastered, but she wasn't horrible enough to zone out when somepony was talking about something so excitedly. The glimmer of life in their eyes was just too beautiful, no matter how dull, bigoted or insulting their words might be.

Blessed Relief left to join his parents after five minutes and Radiant was left with nothing to do. She let her eyes wander all around observing the ponies, until they landed on the counters. The food counters didn't seem very appealing at the moment, since she wasn't feeling any hunger as of the moment, but a nice drink sounded lovely.

She walked over to the drinks counter, where drinks were being served by a yellow coated, red maned stallion with amber eyes and a moustache.

"Excuse me", she called out, attracting his attention. "Can I have some iced-tea", she asked.

"Of course, madam", he replied, lighting the pan with his magic.

She waited patiently for her beverage, for a while simply observing her surroundings. However, as she tended to do after long periods of silence, she, almost subconsciously, started humming the tune of the lullaby her late grandmother, her avia, used to sing to her.

She remembered the words clearly although she didn't sing them out.

In gardens fair, a rose so sweet,
Its beauty pure, without a thorn to meet.
A vibrant bloom, like birdsong's cheer,
Yet hungry beings, its fragility near.
Unshielded, in the world so wide,
Innocence exposed, nowhere to hide.
But you, my rose, I'll be your guard,
A thorn to shield, forever on guard.

She allowed herself a small moment of mourning, before she went on humming, too softly for anypony to hear, or at least she though so, because just then, somepony said, "Hello".

Radiant did jump at being startled this time around, much to her profound embarrassment. How had she not noticed somepony standing next to her.

Her eyes fell on the filly who had said that, and after a few moments, recognised her as Duchess Pampered Ruby and Duke Cosseted Nobleman's daughter.

“Hello”, she replied. “Pardon my behaviour, I was just a little distracted”, she apologised.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I must say, you have a lovely voice", the other filly stated with a smile.

Oh goodness! She had heard her she had heard her she had-

“Is there a problem”, the filly asked, her eyebrow raised and a confused frown on her lips.

'Goodness Radiant, you're only making yourself look worse in front of her. Pull your act together', she berated herself internally.

“Oh! Pardon me, again. I was simply, how to put it, ah! Making sure that others weren’t listening in”, she replied, wincing at the thought of her parents somehow hearing her.

“Do you mean you parents?”, the filly asked, probably without thinking, but Radiant couldn't stop a scowl from forming on her face.

“I apologise if that was too invasive. I have no right to inquire about your personal matters", the filly hurriedly added, a guilty expression forming on her face.

Not that there was any need to apologise. She was right after all, even though the question had been a bit invasive.

“It’s quite alright, hon”, she replied. “My name is Radiant, Lady Radiant Beam, Daughter of Duke Dinero Gelt and Duchess Bejewelled Coronet", she introduced, hoping to get a name. She couldn't keep calling her conversation partner 'the filly' in her head.

"I am Starlit, Lady Starlit Night. Daughter of Duke Cosseted Nobleman and Duchess Pampered Ruby", she extended her hoof, which Radiant shook lightly.

"Lady Radiant -", the other filly, no, Starlit Night began but Radiant cut her off. There was not a chance that a potential friend or at least acquaintance was going to use her title.

"You can call me Radiant if you wish, that is if I can call you Starlit", she declared.

"Starry", the filly said after a while, much to Radiant's confusion. Was she referring to the abnormally starry skies that were there tonight?

"I'd prefer to be called Starry, if we are to speak to each other in such a casual manner."

Oh, so it was a shortened variant of her. That made a lot more sense.

"Alright, as you wish, Starry", Radiant smiled.

"Do you like to sing? While from what I have witnessed, the answer seems very obvious, however there is a chance you might have had a sudden desire to sing. Goodness knows how many times I randomly stop reading in order to stargaze and vice-versa", Starry chuckled lightly.

They already had so much in common. Radiant had lost count of how many times she would be sewing a dress and would randomly abandon the half-made dress to sing her heart out.

"I love singing, and not just singing, but music as a whole. Art-forms in general really, though especially music", joy and passion overwhelmed her heart, though it faded, just as bubbles and ponies eventually did, as she recalled why she had to periodically apply sound-proofing spells to her room.

"Not that I'll ever be allowed to pursue them."

"After all, tis beneath one of my stature to perform in front of ponies. That's what harlots do, not ladies", she stated monotonously. She'd heard her parents say that so many times, that she had memorised it by heart.

"Do you actually believe that, or is it the doctrine your parents tell you?", Starry stated derisively, an eyebrow raised, before she seemed to realise how rude it sounded and added, "I apologise, I didn't mean to be rude."

Starry had to have had parental issues, Radiant realised, and she liked her all the more for it. After all, it was nice to talk to somepony who truly understood.

"You shall hear no complains from my side for what you said, I assure you. You're right. It, it's what my parents told me, when I asked for the to hire a music teacher. Ever since then they have hounded me about why I shouldn't be engaging in such activities", she shook her head despondently.

"Yet, you were still humming in the middle of a formal celebration. Quite a daring move, I must say, even if you had been somepony whose parents did appreciate her talents", Starry stated.

Radiant had to stamp down the embarrassed flush that was threatening to blossom on her face at hearing that.

"Ah, well my humming at the moment was subconscious, though I have to admit that, while it sounds silly, sometimes I intentionally sing under my breath when my parents are nearby, hoping they would like my voice and agree to let me learn.

But alas! The sounds never to seem to reach their ears and I am not brave enough to be louder. Perhaps someday, though", she responded.

"No they won't", Starry scoffed. "They sound like my parents, always concerned about their social status."

Oh, Starry definitely had parental issues.

"And while my own interests aren't one that they see as inappropriate, them being reading, magic and astronomy, I am often berated for my choice of friends and am force to sever my friendship with them", she added.

Her choice of friends? Admittedly, Radiant tended to only befriend those of her own social status, so she wasn't scolded regarding her choice of company. It must be terrible, for your friendships to constantly break over matters that weren't in your hooves.

"That sounds terrible, to constantly lose you relationships with ponies you care", Radiant softly remarked, feeling her heart bleed for poor Starlit.

"It is. In fact, such an incident took place again. My friend Galaxia and I were playing tag. Foalish, I know, but she would've complained my ears off due to boredom if we hadn't.

Everything was going well, until I happened to bump into my mother", she scowled, as though she were replaying that memory in her mind.

Radiant winced symapthetically. "Goodness, I imagine that must not have gone well."

"No, of course not. My mother said some rude things about Galaxia, which caused her to break her friendship with me. And then my mother lectured me about 'playing plebeian games', social status and whatnot, before dragging me home."

Good lord! It must have been quite hurtful, to both Starry and Galaxia.

"That must have hurt, your friendship breaking I mean", Radiant replied, grimacing.

"Oh it did. Especially since her friendship with me was the longest one I'd managed to keep, for about two years", Starry added. Two years? That must have been so heartbreaking!

Hmm, what if they became friends? She was almost certain that Starry's parents wouldn't object, with Radiant being a lady as well and Radiant's parents definitely wouldn't, with Duke Cosseted Nobleman and Duchess Pampered Ruby being of even more social importance that they were.

Besides Starry seemed to be an understanding pony. A little too sardonic, but somepony that Radiant could imagine and bear to be friends with.

Besides, with how much they had already told each other, more than one should tell strangers, more than Radiant had ever told any of her other friends, who admittedly were just a bit more than acquaintances, the only choice seemed to be to become friends.

"How about we become friends? I mean, after pouring our hearts out to each other, it seems like the natural option, right? Besides, I do not believe that either of our parents will be against our friendship", Radiant relayed her thoughts.

"Alright then, let's become friends", Starlit agreed, extending her hoof but Radiant, as the first act of friendship, decided to forego a hoofshake and pull her new friend into a hug.

She knew, down to the very core of her bones, that this was going to be a beautiful friendship.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment