• ...
 1
 256

The Day it All Changed Part - 2 (Starry II)

Greeting the other guests went as well as expected.Putting on a sweet, utterly fake smile that she hoped would appear genuine enough not to be offensive, curtsying and shaking hooves, saying sweet word of greetings.

"Is that the last of them, mother", Starry inquired softly after she was done greeting Duke Raven Rest and Duchess Morning Dew. She hoped she could get away from this place if her services were no longer require. Maybe catching up on some reading...

"Oh, I know why you're asking this, and hear me out! Don't you dare use that as an excuse to sneak off to the library! What kind of impression would it give, the hosts' own daughter not caring to stay for the festivities? Everypony would consider us arrogant and obnoxious", her mother warned back in a hushed whisper.

Oh, come on! How did she even know what Starry had been thinking!

Perhaps some of her frustration and bewilderment had shown on her face, for her mother rolled her eyes and sternly replied,

"I'm your mother, darling. I'd like to think, that after carrying you inside me for almost a years and raising you four another twelve, I'd know you well enough to predict the most likely course of action you're going to take."

"Alright, I shan't be sneaking off to the library. But at least tell me so I won't have to suffer through the torture of faking cheeriness, when I am anything but", Starry argued.

"Oh, alright. No, there is a guest left, though only one. Bear this 'torture', as you so delicately said it, for a while longer", her mother replied.

"As you wish, mother", Starry reluctantly replied.

The double doors were knocked at and Starry and her mother, yet again opened them using their magic, curtsying and then shaking hooves with the Duke who walked in.

"May I take my leave, mother", Starry begged.

"Oh alright. But don't simply stay alone, try mingling with some of the other foals your age", her mother permitted.

"Alright, mother. I shall attempt to do so", Starry sighed, before turning back around and teleporting in front of the doors of the ballroom, where the banquet was held.

She entered, nervous when the sound of the doors opening briefly attracted everypony’s attention, before they went back to their own conversations.

Unsure of what to do, she headed over to one of the serving counters for a glass of lemonade. She sighed as she swept a look around.

How was she supposed to mingle, when all the foals in sight either seemed to be glued to their parents sides or were too old or young for her to be able to converse with them without seeming out of place?

Sipping her drink, she leaned against a counter exhaustedly.

“Are you feeling alright, my lady?”, the stallion serving at the counter, Masaala Mirch, if she wasn’t mistaken, asked.

“Yes I am. Thank you very much for asking”, she replied.

“Simply doing my job”, Masaala Mirch responded, inclining his head respectfully.

She had decided to walk around the counters to get a look at what was being served, even though she wasn’t particularly hungry yet, when she heard somepony humming.

It was a startling sound to hear, after all, one of the nobility would ever dare to do something so utterly informal at a feast.

The pony did seem to know this fact, though, as the sound was too soft to be heard by anypony who wasn’t nearby. Her, she identified the high-pitched sound to belong to a girl, voice was melodious and perfectly tuned in a way that simply had Starry want to hear more.

Another startling thing, since Starry, while knowing how to appreciate good music, wasn’t one to crave to hear it. She looked

She looked around for a while, before finally tracing the owner of that voice. It was a filly, around her own age. She had a light bluish-purple coat, with a curly dark blue mane with a violet streak and her eyes were a bright, clear ocean blue.

She wore a dress with three layers that were each a different shade of blue, with silver borders and a necklace with a blue, amethyst, flower in the middle.

Well, her mother did request her to mingle and this filly seemed to be nice enough. Now, she wasn’t one to judge a book by its cover but how could somepony with such a beautiful voice not have an equally beautiful personality?

Thus, she decided to approach the filly. But how to start? Greetings, hello?

She decided to go for a more casual approach and said, “Hello.”

The filly jumped, startled, looking around before her eyes landed on Starry.

“Hello”, she replied. “Pardon my behaviour, I was just a little distracted”, she apologised.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I must say, you have a lovely voice.”

There. Everypony liked a compliment, especially a sincere one. Yet, instead of being flattered, the filly seemed to panick, glancing everywhere, before sighing in relief.

“Is there a problem”, Starry inquired, raising a brow.

“Oh! Pardon me, again. I was simply, how to put it, ah! Making sure that others weren’t listening in”, the filly grimaced.

“Do you mean you parents?”

She had guessed correctly if he filly’s scowl was anything to go by. Then, realising how invasive she had sounded, Starry hurriedly added,

“I apologise if that was too invasive. I have no right to inquire about your personal matters.”

“It’s quite alright, hon”, the filly replied. “My name is Radiant, Lady Radiant Beam, Daughter of Duke Dinero Gelt and Duchess Bejewelled Coronet", she introduced.

Duke Dinero Gelt and Duchess Bejewelled Coronet. Hmm, they were below Starry's family on the social ladder but it wasn't too big of a difference. They simply owned less property than Starry's parents.

"I am Starlit, Lady Starlit Night. Daughter of Duke Cosseted Nobleman and Duchess Pampered Ruby", she extended her hoof, which Radiant shook lightly.

"Lady Radiant -", Starry began but was cut off by the other filly, who declared, "You can call me Radiant if you wish, that is if I can call you Starlit."

"Starry", Starlit stated.

At Radiant's raised brow, she elaborated, "I'd prefer to be called Starry, if we are to speak to each other in such a casual manner."

"Alright, as you wish, Starry", Radiant smiled.

"Do you like to sing? While from what I have witnessed, the answer seems very obvious, however there is a chance you might have had a sudden desire to sing. Goodness knows how many times I randomly stop reading in order to stargaze and vice-versa", Starry chuckled lightly.

"I love singing, and not just singing, but music as a whole. Art-forms in general really, though especially music", her eyes were glazed with longing, dreamy look and the tone of her voice relayed passion.

But then she sighed, despondently and added, "Not that I'll ever be allowed to pursue them."

"After all, tis beneath one of my stature to perform in front of ponies. That's what harlots do, not ladies", she blandly stated, as though she had heard and practiced it often, that instantly told Starlit that she did not mean a word of it.

"Do you actually believe that, or is it the doctrine your parents tell you?", Starry raised a brow, before realising how derisive that had sounded, and sought to correct it with a hastily apology that Radiant waved away.

"You're right. It, it's what my parents told me, when I asked for the to hire a music teacher. Ever since then they have hounded me about why I shouldn't be engaging in such activities", Radiant shook her head.

Still, Starry decided that from now on she shall strive to make sure that she didn't reveal her cynical views so openly to strangers.

"Yet, you were still humming in the middle of a formal celebration. Quite a daring move, I must say, even if you had been somepony whose parents did appreciate her talents", Starry mused.

"Ah, well my humming at the moment was subconscious, though I have to admit that, while it sounds silly, sometimes I intentionally sing under my breath when my parents are nearby, hoping they would like my voice and agree to let me learn.

But alas! The sounds never to seem to reach their ears and I am not brave enough to be louder. Perhaps someday, though", Radiant responded.

"No they won't", Starry scoffed. "They sound like my parents, always concerned about their social status.

And while my own interests aren't one that they see as inappropriate, them being reading, magic and astronomy, I am often berated for my choice of friends and am force to sever my friendship with them."

"That sounds terrible, to constantly lose you relationships with ponies you care", Radiant softly remarked.

"It is. In fact, such an incident took place again. My friend Galaxia and I were playing tag. Foalish, I know, but she would've complained my ears off due to boredom if we hadn't.

Everything was going well, until I happened to bump into my mother", she scowled as she remembered what had occurred earlier that day.

Radiant winced in sympathy. "Goodness, I imagine that must not have gone well."

"No, of course not. My mother said some rude things about Galaxia, which caused her to break her friendship with me. And then my mother lectured me about 'playing plebeian games', social status and whatnot, before dragging me home."

"That must have hurt, your friendship breaking I mean", Radiant replied, grimacing.

"Oh it did. Especially since her friendship with me was the longest one I'd managed to keep, for about two years", Starry revealed, to which Radiant's frown deepened, before her face seemed to light up with an idea.

"How about we become friends? I mean, after pouring our hearts out to each other, it seems like the natural option, right? Besides, I do not believe that either of our parents will be against our friendship", Radiant relayed her thoughts.

Well, that didn't seem like a bad idea. Radiant seemed to be a kind filly who was easy to talk to and understood her. A little too optimistic, if her clinging hope that her parents would actually appreciate her talent was anything to, but somepony Starry could find herself getting along with.

Plus, she would get to hear that beautiful voice regularly,.

"Alright then, let's become friends", Starlit agreed, extending her hoof, but much to her surprise, instead of shaking it, Radiant pulled at it and tugged her into a warm embrace.

Starry couldn't help the startled yelp that escaped her mouth at the tug, not anymore than she could control the smile that stretched on her face afterwards.

Yes, she could get used to this.

Author's Note:

Radiant's Dress: https://www.pngegg.com/en/png-orzhe