• Published 31st May 2021
  • 499 Views, 7 Comments

The Romantics and the Theatrics - Omegathyst



Autumn Blaze realizes she's in over her head when she begins to fall for her unexpected lead actress.

  • ...
4
 7
 499

Falling for Cadance

It had been two weeks since Autumn Blaze had spent the evening out with the subject of her play, and they had gone out to eat several times since then. That thought that popped into her head was correct, it could very much hurt to indulge in the previously unknown butterflies that came about every time she had spoken to the lead actress of her play. It didn't take a very clever creature to understand why Autumn had felt her heart twisting every time Cadance had brought up her husband and their growing filly, and Autumn screamed into her pillow the night she had come to the conclusion that she had crossed the line of admiration and research and into a much more dangerous territory.

Having had a life with ups and downs in her home village, Autumn never quite dated anyone. By the time she was welcomed back with the other Kirin, Autumn was just grateful to be back with her friends and had no desire to engage in anything more than that.

But when she spoke of her kind and her faraway home, Cadance smiled and her eyes twinkled as she listened to every word Autumn had to say. Cadance admitted that she hadn't interacted with many other creatures besides the changelings, but she thanked Autumn for enlightening her on a land she had never heard of before. She told Autumn of a land she had already had some knowledge of: the Crystal Empire. She'd even offered Autumn a ticket to the Crystal Empire where the Princess would give her a tour of the colorful sights.

She had almost said no. Even as she stood behind the curtains as opening night was about to begin, did she question just how she was going to make it through this play without screaming out everything bottled in. Rarity, one of the ponies in the play, trotted to her side and grinned.

"My first play! And I get to kiss Princess Cadance on stage. If I wasn't straight, I might've just swooned!" Rarity chuckled.

"Hehe…" Autumn trailed off as she looked at the curtains that've been there for her as she tried to think of how to avoid the Princess she had spent nearly every day with.

Well, they'll perform Amor for three more nights after tonight. But...they all have their lines memorized and have all the materials they need. I'm sure if I send a letter to Twilight, she'll be more than happy to oversee the rest while I go home.

Autumn felt a sting within her heart at the thought of ditching everypony to go home, but what if she blurted out everything to Cadance? This was different than what had plagued the village that she lived in, this emotion had to be hidden away...


"And now," Fluttershy, playing Celestia once more, said. "You are a Princess just like me and my sister."

Cadance grinned as the curtains began to close, hearing the thunderous applause coming from the audience as she hugged Fluttershy. After hugging her, Cadance trotted backstage where Autumn Blaze would surely be…

Making her way backstage, Cadance froze as she saw Twilight and Rarity talking to each other, the former's voice slightly raised.

"What seems to be the matter?" Cadance asked, walking closer to the two mares.

"Autumn Blaze is gone!" Twilight used her magic to bring a letter to Cadance's face. "She said that she had an emergency back at home, and now I have to take over the play!"

"But how would she even know of an emergency back at home?" Cadance frowned, putting her hoof to her chin.

"Exactly! Something really horrible must've happened to scare her off like that!" Twilight began to hyperventilate. "Oh no, did I do something? Did I send her to a bad hotel? Did I-"

"Shh, darling," Rarity put her hoof to Twilight's lips. "I can confidently assure you that it was nothing you did. Cadance, could you possibly…?"

Rarity turned to look in Cadance's direction, but the pink alicorn was already gone.


Autumn Blaze sat on the bench with her suitcase beside her, waiting for the train to arrive and take her back to the land where she could wake up to her village of Kirin who wouldn’t turn her life upside down. She could have a safe life there, and still be happy writing her plays about all the ponies she met there, just not her.

Autumn turned to look down at her suitcase, feeling an overwhelming sensation throughout her body as tears came to her eyes. Placing her hoof on the suitcase, she spoke.

“Oh Suity, where did everything go wrong?” Autumn whispered. Moments after she spoke, a flash of pink light appeared in front of her, causing the Kirin to squeak as she gripped her suitcase. Cadance appeared, her wings spread out as she stared down at Autumn.

“Emergency?” Cadance frowned. “How did you hear of this emergency? None of your village knew which hotel you were staying in, so how would they be able to reach you?”

“I...it was…”

“Save it,” Cadance brought her wings back to her side as she looked at the ground. “I know what this is about.”

“You do?” Autumn’s wide eyes, matched with her heavy blush, did no favors to hide the truth.

“I wasn’t what you hoped for,” Cadance told her. “I get how this goes. Everypony falls in love with my image, but when they find out the real me, I’m just another pony.”

“Wait, you knew that I liked you?” Autumn gasped.

“Of course I did, why else would you write a whole play dedicated to me? It’s what suitors did whenever they were trying to win my aunt’s hoof,” Cadance shrugged. “It’s okay Autumn, I just wish you were honest about not wanting to be with me.”

“Cadance, you have a husband,” Autumn hoof-palmed her face. “I’m not going to get in the way of you two.”

Cadance froze, her mouth hanging open only for a few moments before she bursted into laughter. Wiping a tear from her eye, Cadance jumped onto the bench and wrapped her wing around Autumn.

“Is that what this is about?” Cadance howled. “Goodness, for all of the research you’ve done, I’m surprised you never came across my more unusual dating history.”

“Your what?”

“Oh sweet Autumn Blaze,” Cadance leaned in closer. “Me and my husband have an open relationship. Sure, neither of us have dated anypony during our marriage yet, but did you really think the Princess of Love was capable of loving only one pony?”

After staring into Cadance’s intense gaze, it was Autumn’s turn to laugh. Pulling back and howling, Autumn then rested her forehead against Cadance’s as they both giggled and grinned at each other. Drunk off the internal butterflies, now free to flutter as they liked, Autumn didn’t hesitate to lock her lips with the Princess of Love. Cadance wrapped her wings around Autumn’s back as the Kirin felt her emotions magnify tenfold in the Princess’ embrace.

“Now let’s get you back to the theater,” Cadance smirked, pulling back as she jumped off the bench, taking a few steps away before looking over her shoulder. “You coming?”

Autumn beamed as she jumped off the bench and used her tail to pull her luggage as she followed the alicorn off into the sunset, her trip to Ponyville having changed her life forever.

Author's Note:

"Rainbows don't light up the sky unless you let it rain~"

Thank you all so much for reading! And while this story is finished, I was wondering what kind of future sequel would be most interesting: a detailed plot for the play in the story, Amor? Or a sequel where Cadance brings Autumn Blaze to the Crystal Empire?

Comments ( 6 )

I'm a little surprised there isn't a Shining Armour tag.

10841644
Because Cadance and Shining Armor are always in stories together?

This was too cute and you gotta love Autumn Blaze

Aww, this story was very sweet, if a little short. Still, it never felt rushed—though it would have been nice to see a little more interaction between Autumn and Cadance, and see why exactly those butterflies started flittering in her stomach. Still, this was a cute romance story, and I think you captured Autmnum's personality and voice well. And of course, I have to give any story kudos if it shows open communication in relationships (very, very important in poly or open relationships).

10919525
Thank you for the constructive criticism!

Something tells me you might like my newest story, Fluttercord shipper 👀

10920649
It's on my list to read later! My interest is piqued, and I'm planning on reading it soon-ish.

Login or register to comment