• Published 31st May 2021
  • 498 Views, 7 Comments

The Romantics and the Theatrics - Omegathyst



Autumn Blaze realizes she's in over her head when she begins to fall for her unexpected lead actress.

  • ...
4
 7
 498

Meeting Cadance

Autumn Blaze stood on the stage, the lights on as she was alone in the building. She felt her heart beating fast with the knowledge that this was not only the first play in Ponyville directed by a Kirin, but it was her first play ever done outside of the Peaks of Peril. She had spent several nights back at home, and several more in her hotel slaving away at a script dedicated to depicting the history of her favorite princess that she had researched: Princess Cadance.

There were only so many musical plays she could write involving her own kind, and when Applejack and Fluttershy had told her village about the many different creatures moving into Ponyville to seek opportunity, Autumn Blaze had her heart set on going to the little town right away. Princess Twilight had insisted on paying for her stay in the hotel till the opening night of her newest play, and gave Autumn Blaze plenty of information about the Princess of Love. For Celestia’s ability to raise the sun, Luna’s ability to raise the moon, and even Twilight’s never-ending mission to bring friendship to every nation far and wide, there was no achievement that quite brought Autumn’s attention like the ability to help create and mend relationships for the name of love.

Autumn had moved into the hotel room when she was a third of the way done with her script, when Twilight Sparkle had given her plenty of books to help with the rest of the play. Autumn had finished her script after only a week of being in Ponyville, and now she stood on the stage as she waited for Twilight to bring the lead actress that would play the Princess of Love. It was easy to talk to the curtains while she waited, sure they weren’t the rocks and twigs that she normally conversed with, but talking to them allowed her heart to stop beating so fast regardless.

“You really think I can pull this off?” Autumn whispered as she trailed a hoof down the dark blue curtain. “My village was easy to please, what if they don’t think I’m good enough?”

Autumn dropped her hoof and glanced at the door behind all the seats in the building as it opened, Twilight walking into view and she grinned at the Kirin.

“Ready to meet your lead actress?” Twilight asked.

“Does she need to audition?” Autumn stood up on her four hooves as she attempted to see who was still behind the door. Twilight smirked as she shook her head.

“I think you’ll be pretty happy with who I chose,” Twilight explained. “And don’t worry, she’s actually good at acting. This won’t be like the last time we got a Princess to star in her own play.”

Autumn had barely registered the last sentence Twilight had said when a slightly taller pink alicorn walked past Twilight, staring up at Autumn with her purple eyes and wide smile. Autumn felt her breath taken away as she froze, her face heating up as the alicorn began to speak.

“I take it you’re the director I’ve heard about? Autumn Blaze?” Cadance flew up onto the stage in front of Autumn as she extended her hoof towards the Kirin. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, truly.”

Autumn remained in her locked state for a few seconds before she brought her hoof to Cadance’s and shook it.

“S-Sorry, I wasn’t expecting you,” Am I blushing? “I’ve read about how you saved marriages, and brought families back together with your gift. I c-can’t believe I’m actually meeting you! It’s really an honor.”

“Autumn, it’s an honor to be here at all. Nopony or creature has written a play about me before,” Cadance pulled her hoof back as she wrapped her wing around Autumn Blaze. “Tell me, young mare, what is this play called?”

“Amor,” Autumn replied, the heat in her face intensifying as she felt the Princess’ wing rest on her back. “It’s about how you discovered your gift, and how Celestia took you under her wing and showed you all the possible ways to use your talent. And of course, the final part of the play where you ascend to being an alicorn.”

“I suppose I’ll have to keep my wings binded till then,” Cadance noted. “Don’t worry about that part, Twilight brought a wing-binder on the way here. I heard you were holding auditions for the other roles. Can I help you with those?”

“Can you?” Autumn whispered. “Of course you can!”

And with that, Autumn had two of the Princesses helping her judge auditions for different roles. It had only taken a few hours, and as Autumn and Cadance followed Twilight out of the building, Cadance put her wing around Autumn and leaned in. Autumn moved her head back only a little before she realized that Cadance was only speaking to her.

“Perhaps we could go out and learn a bit more about each other?” Cadance suggested. “I know you’ve already finished the script, but it couldn’t hurt for the director and lead actress to spend time together. Right?”

Perhaps it could.

Autumn didn’t know where the thought had come from, what could possibly hurt from spending time with Equestrian royalty? Autumn smiled as she allowed the warm and fuzzy butterflies flutter in her insides, nodding her head as they exited the building.

“Where to?” Autumn asked.

“Oh! There’s this restaurant that my husband loves called The Hay Burger. It’s a bit of a simplistic taste, but it’s got great dishes for visitors.”

Husband, Autumn had heard of Shining Armor several times in her research, and yet the word still turned the warm feeling in her blood into a cold and sharp sensation throughout her body. This Princess that Autumn researched had a family, plain and simple. And yet Autumn ignored that and wrote about the alicorn’s past instead, but why?

“We don’t need to walk there,” Cadance winked, lowering her back as she extended her wings. “Climb on, dear director.”

Autumn blushed as she climbed onto Cadance’s back, the alicorn flapping her wings and taking to the Ponyville skies as they left the Ponyville Theater. Staring up at the yellow and pink sunset, Autumn lifted her hoof and felt the clouds brushing against it before they landed at the Hay Burger. Sure, the Kirin had Sugarcube Corner and several other places delivered to her, but she had never tried this hay burger.

Climbing off Cadance’s back, Autumn joined the Princess’ side as they walked into the restaurant.