• Published 7th Mar 2021
  • 643 Views, 8 Comments

Equestria Down - Ultimus Pendragon



When Twilight Sparkle fails to do what needed to be done at the cost of her friendship, she attempts to set things right, even if it kills her.

  • ...
4
 8
 643

Quid Pro Quo?

Author's Note:

Back once again with the fun of reading, and I hope you're ready to go.

''When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.''
-Elon Musk.

Canterlot Castle. . .


Luna huffed, once again faced with the same, bleary sight of the quiet crystal caves. She knew. Time and time again, her supposed faith in those that she once hoped would provide change remained unchanged. Inside her mind, or that of Nightmare Moon yielded many viewpoints, some of which she was wholly unable to separate fact from fear. Dark Magic, or that which Celestia and that weak-minded thought of as they chose not to brave the far beyond for such power.

Though Tirek took his ultimate delight in ensuring that all after him would be unable to do so without immeasurable costs.

''Why?'' Luna asked herself, her mind throbbing with uncertainty and aggression. It made no sense. Failures; each and every one of them. ''Twilight is the last pony I would think that would allow so much death and sorrow; only followed by that plebian Discord,'' Luna said, trotting to the entrance that she grew to no question the apparent reality that it was made to show the general area of Ponyville. ''If I could jump off of this cliff, I would,'' Luna muttered, reaching a hoof out, only for it to stop dead in its tracks. The same result. ''I wonder what ever became of him,'' Luna's eyes closed as a mild hum came after munching on a bit of her mane.

WHOOSH!

''For once, I agree with you of all ponies; and the end of our world must truly be nigh for that to happen.'' Luna's blood ran cold, feeling the pulse of breath on her neck. No; it couldn't be. Could it? Luna tensed to move, not knowing she let herself be blindsided so easily, and in her own home. Much couldn't be done with her back, so she merely relaxed her shoulders and lowered her head for the inevitable. Staring at the ruined lands of Ponyville and beyond in the distance did not make for an honorable death.

''Why do you not attack? You could have easily-''

''In my current form, not as much as either of us would hope, but that can be discussed later.'' Luna slowly turned around, the dim light providing enough of a view, though her eyes could be fooled. ''I. . .propose a truce. You have questions, no doubt. And I have some of my own, along with some answers.'' Luna's laughter filled the caverns as her would-be assailant seemingly struggled to not tear out his own neck talking to her. He would wipe that jovial nature before long.

''And why; in the wide, wide, frankly bucked-up world of Equestria would the notion of working with you in any capacity be something that I would do?'' Luna's entire body shook, nearly horking up spit and phlegm as she became light-headed at the concept. ''I-''

''-Was once Nightmare Moon, so how much worse could you get than me?'' the smirk on his face fueled Luna's frown and to her surprise, a hoof was extended. ''What do you say?''

''If you can get me out of this cage, then I would agree to work with you. . .but I would peg Tirek a better player in this game we call life.” Luna said the implication of being let loose appeared more of an impossibility than anything else. Whatever angle was being played was something surely that had to be done for the sake of a greater advantage over Tirek, though even she in her lonely, contemplative state was unable to make a solid or valid counterclaim to helping. ''The years have not been kind to you, I see.''

A deep-throated hiss failed to deter Luna’s question. Only the deep red hue of his eyes, her own reflection a faint blip in what she could see of his rage, depravity, and whatever else gave him strength. “We shall see, but we will need to combine our minds, and my magic in this case to have a chance.” Luna’s head whipped back as she was struck by his hoof. A thud was followed by an animalistic grunt and Luna found herself with the worst burning sensation across her chest. “But you need to die first.”

Pure agony. That was all she could feel; ripping and tearing of her head and body to its limit; only surpassed by the wave of splintering cold that overtook the air of the caves. Memories flashed by, a wild and terrifying scene paid for, no doubt in blood. Luna gasped, her throat nearly caving in on itself. His laugh echoed with the whisper of eldritch spellbinding bringing abominations from the world over to the surface. Most barely managed to hobble and crawl towards the dim light, pops and oozes of flesh encased in bile failing to stop them.

“Yes, very good; very good.” Luna’s ears folded to each word spoken gradually dulling in intensity until silence reigned. “Let’s see who will stay and who will go.” Luna had the feeling she may have done evil to squash another, but little could be done about it now. ''King Sombra will return. . .''


Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment