• Published 11th Oct 2020
  • 431 Views, 3 Comments

Abandoned Alicorn - Seeking-Sparks



She was never supposed to be this way...

  • ...
1
 3
 431

Desperate

Author's Note:

Warnings for some light gore, angst, and trauma

Wendy was lying on her back, looking up at the fading daylight as Celestia lowered the sun. It had been hundreds of years since their time in the cottage, but she still liked to join her sisters at dawn and dusk. Now that Celestia and Luna ruled Equestria during opposite times of day, these moments all together were rare.

Wendy watched as the sky darkened from a pale orange to a deep vibrant purple. She heard Celestia land on the grass and Luna’s wings open as she lifted the moon from the horizon. The stars soon joined the night sky as Luna sighed and joined her little sister on the castle lawn.

“I’m going to retire for the night.” Celestia yawned.

Luna scoffed. “Just like all your sun-loving subjects,” she muttered under breath.

Wendy placed a hoof on Luna’s, then turned to her oldest sister. “You’re not going to stay? We always go home on this day.”

Celestia sighed and rubbed her eyes. “I know Wendy, but I have an early meeting with dignitaries from the griffin kingdom tomorrow, and it’s very important that we don’t lose that alliance.”

Luna gritted her teeth and turned away from her sister. “Fine. Wendy and I will go home by ourselves then. I’m sure Starswirl would understand that you didn't have a single hour to devote to his memory.”

Celestia sighed again and shook her head. “It has been hundreds of years since he disappeared. I have to be up early tomorrow.” She turned on her heel and walked back to the castle.

Luna gritted her teeth and snarled as she walked away. “Turning your back on your family. Just like all your loving subjects turn their backs on the night.”

Celestia paused, turning her head slightly back towards them. “Not this again Luna.
I told you, it is simply the way of things. Please let it go.” Then she continued walking back to the castle.

Luna screamed and slammed her front hooves into the ground. Wendy watched as she growled and ignited her horn, flashing the two of them to the heart of the forest. Wendy blinked the light from her eyes as Luna stormed into the cottage and violently kicked a vase against the wall. It shattered into jagged pieces as the blue alicorn continued to scream and throw things, tears streaming down her face.

She raged for what seemed like hours, but once she ran out of things to break, she collapsed against the wall and slid down into a limp heap, her sobs still shaking her thin frame. Wendy walked tentatively over to her.

“Luna?”

The blue alicorn sniffed and buried her muzzle in her forelegs. “Why don’t I deserve to be loved too? I’m just as important as she is.”

Wendy placed a hoof on her sister’s, and when Luna looked up, she had crossed her eyes and stuck her tongue out to the side. Luna just sighed and pushed herself up to sit properly against the wall.

“Your faces won’t work this time little sister.” She stared forlornly out the open door and into the night. “I’m not sure this problem can be solved.”

Wendy bit the inside of her cheek, considering her words. In all her years, she had always been able to cheer Luna up after a fight with Celestia, but lately those fights had been getting worse and worse. Her sisters were at an impasse, and she didn’t know how to make them smile and have fun again.

Luna looked slowly around the cottage. “Even here, he always favored her.” She closed her eyes and lit her horn, the room swirling with blue magic as the colors returned to the walls and ghosts of their younger selves ran through the room.

“Hey that’s me!” Wendy giggled and trotted after her filly self, who ran through the room with a star shaped flower held in her magic.

Luna watched as the figure of Starswirl the Bearded walked out of the house, a teenaged Celestia in tow. “Take care of Wendy, Luna” She said in time with his moving lips. “We will return later.”

Wendy turned and watched as younger Celestia and Starswirl walked out the door, leaving a longing Luna staring after them. She winced and turned to see a younger Wendy shaking stars out of her eyes after she had run headfirst into a cabinet. Wendy watched as the younger version of Luna sighed and plastered on a fake smile, walking over and rubbing her head soothingly.

“I could never compare to her. I was never good enough for them.” Luna snapped through gritted teeth. She let the spell dissolve and slumped tiredly back against the wall.

“I- I never really noticed…” Wendy laid her head on her adoptive sister’s shoulder. Luna just sighed and stood up, walking out to one of the trees outside the cottage.

“Do you remember these?” She floated a flower down from the tree.

Wendy followed her out and examined the flower. It had five tapered cream-colored petals, arranged around the center symmetrically like a star. The center had five smaller, bright red petals.

“Sure. We used to pick these as foals.”

Luna spun the flower in the air. “They’re the only flower in the forest that blooms in moonlight.” She looked around at the sleeping woods. “Every other plant here blooms in the sunlight, just like all the ponies of equestria. But this one…” She tucked the flower behind Wendy’s ear. “This flower loves my moonlight just like you do.”

Wendy smiled and scrunched up her nose. “Of course I love your nights! They are beautiful.”

Luna looked up to the sky, closing her eyes and feeling the breeze blow through her flowing hair. Wendy was the only pony who ever even stayed up to see her moon. All the ponies of equestria played in the sun that Celestia brought them, but they shunned and slept through her beautiful night. Luna felt the ugly jealousy inside her rear its head again. It was the same monster that had fueled her screaming at Celestia earlier that night. And it was the same bitter resentment that had been growing in her since all those years ago when Celestia first showed greater magical prowess and earned Starswirl’s favor.

Suddenly, she watched as the sky lightened and the sun rose slowly into the sky. They had been out in the forest all night, and Celestia hadn’t even tried to call her back to lower the moon. She had simply raised the sun anyway, taking control of the moon on her own. Luna growled deep in her throat as she watched the bright sunlight spread across the forest floor.

The blue alicorn stamped a hoof and turned definitely to glare at the castle, standing solemnly up on a hill in the distance. She would not let Celestia overshadow her anymore. Hers was not the lesser light, and she was a princess too. She deserved to be loved, appreciated, and respected. Her brow furrowed as she felt the bitterness inside her grow, threatening to break free.

Wendy reached out a hoof and touched her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Luna turned to her, her eyes unfocused and distant. “I love you.”

“Wha- I- I love you too…” Wendy took a nervous step back. “Luna, what’s going on?”

The blue alicorn turned back to the castle. “Whatever happens, swear to me that you will stay here until I return for you.”

“What?! What are you doing?!”

“Swear it Wendy.”

“No! Tell me what’s going on!”

Luna whipped her head around, eyes blazing and horn ignited. “YOU WILL STAY HERE!!!!” She bellowed, her voice echoing around the forest.

Wendy shrank back, heart racing. She watched helplessly as her sister sparked her horn and enveloped herself in swirling blue magic. Luna turned her head slightly back, just like Celestia had done hours before, not even making eye contact with her little sister.

“I’m sorry.”

And with that, she was gone, whisked away in a flash of light. Wendy stared anxiously at the spot where she had been standing, a single flower petal drifting down from the tree above her. She reached up and touched the flower in her hair, making sure it was still there. Wendy felt a horrible sense of dread settle in her stomach, somehow knowing that something had just gone terribly terribly wrong.

oOo

Celestia landed heavily on the ruined castle floor. Chunks of roof and wall debris were littered all around her. The Elements of Harmony clattered out of her magic and fell to the ground, clinking as they tumbled away from her. She felt the lump in her throat choking her as tears flowed down her cheeks.

“What-What did you do?!”

Celestia whipped her head around to see Wendy standing in the broken doorway. She was staring stricken up at the moon, where a unicorn’s silhouette now shone tauntingly. Clestia gritted her teeth and fought against the choking feeling in her throat.

“I- Luna...She-”

Wendy’s gaze slowly slid down to Celestia’s, her eyes hard and furious. “What did you do to her?!?!?!”

The older alicorn choked back a sob. “I had no choice…”

Wendy’s eyes flashed and her horn sparked to life, golden magic beginning to whip around the room. “NO CHOICE????”

Celestia struggled to her feet and tried to walk towards her youngest sister, but the building winds forced her back. “Wendy please! She tried to raise the moon over the sun!”

The gray alicorn’s eyes glowed as they turned completely white and she floated up into the air. The wind coming from her horn began to push out on the walls of the castle, straining the already broken foundations.

“HOW DARE YOU?!?!” Her voice echoed around the room, making Celestia wince.

The wind continued to pick up speed as storm clouds gathered above. A few drops fell on Celestia’s stricken face before a torrent of rain poured down over the castle. The storm expanded at its edges, spreading quickly over the entire Everfree Forest.

Celestia leaned into the wind, fighting to keep her eyes open and try to step forward. “Wendy!! You need to stop this!! You’ll destroy the entire forest!!!”

The younger alicorn screamed and flew wildy at her, diving straight for her oldest sister.

“HOW COULD YOU SEND HER AWAY?!?!?!”

Celestia dashed to the side, tripping on a piece of debris and skidding across the carpeted floor. She cried out in pain as feathers ripped from her wing and her side began to bleed. Shaking, she watched helplessly as Wendy’s hurricane grew larger and larger, the wind beginning to shriek and the clouds shrouding the land in almost complete darkness. The only light in the castle came from the glow of Wendy’s eyes and horn.

Her horn…

Celestia had come to a stop just next to the element of Magic, and its deep purple facets glinted in the faint light. She stared at her wavering reflection on its hard surface, and saw her tear soaked, horror stricken face staring back at her. Wendy wasn’t like her and Luna. She had been born an alicorn, but she wasn’t meant to be one. She had been a...mistake.

Celestia forced herself to her hooves, blood dripping from her cut flank and broken feathers. If Wendy wasn’t like her and Luna, maybe she could stop this without sending her away. Celestia clenched her jaw and narrowed her eyes.

“I will not lose another sister today…”

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, lifting the Elements of Harmony once again. She felt the lump in her throat return, and a new weight setted on her heart as she turned the magical stones onto her youngest sister.

Once again, the stones spun around her and then focused to the front, sending a golden rainbow beam of light across the pitch black castle. Wendy turned towards her sister just as the light hit her, and Celestia watched as the glow in her eyes vanished. For one horrible moment, she saw the terrified look of a much younger filly who had depended on her for everything.

Celestia started to shake as a feral scream ripped from her throat. She tried to run forward to catch the one pony left whom she had not failed. But the Elements of Harmony had already been activated, and they would not be stopped. The rainbow light enveloped Wendy as she screamed and reached a hoof out to Celestia, who wailed and felt hot tears fall faster down her cheeks.

It was all over in a moment.

The light faded, and the storm clouds disintegrated into wisps of mist. The winds died down, and Celestia galloped over to her youngest sister. Silence filled the castle, broken only by the sounds of the princess of the sun sobbing quietly.

Wendy laid almost motionless on the ground in front of her, the only sign of life being her shuddering breaths that lifted her chest every few moments. She stirred quietly, getting shakily to her hooves.

“I’m so sorry…” Celestia whispered.

“I- my head hurts…” Wendy rubbed her forehead and opened her eyes, staring at her reflection in a broken fragment of mirror that sat on the floor, marred by spiderweb cracks.

Wendy stared silently at her reflection. She was covered in bruises and scrapes. Her wings had some cracked and missing feathers. On the whole she was alright. But on her head, where her horn should be, she found only mane.

“My…my horn...”

Celestia let out a strangled sob. “I’m so sorry Wendy.”

She looked up at the moon, which still hung in the air with Luna’s silhouette etched on its surface. Her voice trembled, broken by gasps and desperation.

“I didn’t know what else to do…”

Comments ( 1 )

This story has been surprisingly good, I love the interactions between the sisters and Wendy fits the story really well. I am surprised no one has ever thought about having an alicorn of weather. I hope you continue this one

Login or register to comment