• Published 11th Oct 2020
  • 431 Views, 3 Comments

Abandoned Alicorn - Seeking-Sparks



She was never supposed to be this way...

  • ...
1
 3
 431

Destinies

Starswirl trudged back into the house, his cape scorched and torn. He slumped against the table as three bleary eyed young alicorns came down the stairs. Celestia yawned and brushed her mane out of her face.

“Why was the sunrise so weird this morning?”

Starswirl groaned and dropped his forehead to the table. “So it was noticeable?”

Wendy stared at him. “Well duh! The sun came halfway up, then disappeared, then wibbly wobbled back into the sky!”

Starswirl just groaned again. Luna started setting out ingredients for breakfast as Celestia walked over to take the ruined cloak. Wendy moved to set the table. The gray unicorn shrugged off his cloak and let Celestia take it in her hooves. She closed her eyes and ignited her golden magic. The cloak lifted into the air and began to glow. When the light faded, all the burn marks and tears had been fixed, and the garment was back in perfect shape. She gave it back to Starswirl with a triumphant look in her eyes.

“Well done Celestia. Your magic is really improving. Anyway, one of the unicorns this morning lost his magic halfway through. And we had to make do with only five of us.”

“Maybe you should pick the unicorns more carefully.” Luna called from under the counter. “Seems we’re running out of those powerful enough to help you.”

Celestia’s ears perked up and she turned back to her teacher with a pleading look. “Can I help? You said that my magic is improving!”

Starswirl looked his student up and down. “Celestia, I admire your drive and yes your skills are greatly improving, but you have no idea how much power it takes to raise the sun. Perhaps in time you can help me. For the time though, I think it is high time that the lot of you start joining me. Start to see what it takes to control the heavens.”

Luna grumbled from the counter. “I’ve always been more of a night pony.”

“Oh thank you Starswirl!” Celestia beamed at him and excitedly went to help her sister with breakfast.

The gray unicorn laughed and picked Wendy up on his knee. “So how are you little one?”

The filly buzzed her wings, excited to be the center of attention. “This morning I managed to hold my toothbrush in my magic the whole time!!”

“Oh is that so?” Starswirl chuckled.

Wendy continued to tell him about her morning and all the spells she had used to help get ready. Celestia and Luna made a wonderful breakfast of hay cakes and cut fruit, then the ponies started their long day of magic lessons.

oOo

“Okay Wendy. Just add the slightest bit of power and lift your chin a little higher.” Starswirl watched calmly as Wendy’s golden magic enveloped a rock about the size of her hoof.

The little alicorn filly licked her lips and strained, pouring a little more concentration and effort into her horn. The magic field glowed brighter and the rock lifted out of the ground just a few inches.

“I did it!” The moment she called out, her concentration wavered and the rock fell back to the ground. Undeterred, she bounded over to her teacher. “Did ya see Starswirl?? Did ya see??”

He smiled and directed her back to the rock. “Yes Wendy. Well done. Now try again”

As the filly worked on levitating heavy objects, Celestia and Luna were up in the air, practicing their flight patterns and combat magic. The sky flashed with beams of blue and gold light as the two sisters circled each other and shot spells back and forth. When they landed, they were panting heavily, laughing, and lightly shoving each other.

They were young teenagers now, still missing their cutie marks but loving their time with Starswirl. None of them knew why they hadn’t discovered their talents yet, but Starswirl had theorized that because they were alicorns, perhaps their talents were bigger than they had yet had the chance to discover.

“I pity the creature that ever has to fight you Sister,” Luna remarked as she wiped sweat off her brow.”

“Oh please. Who would I ever fight?” Celestia laughed as she playfully pushed her sister.

Wendy rushed over to show them her up and coming levitation magic. The sisters ooh’d and ahh’d over the little filly’s magic, then showed Starswirl the progress they had made on their combat spells. After a few stern words of correction, the group headed back to their home, everyone excited for the next day’s sunrise.

oOo

Celestia, Luna, and Wendy sat at the top of a hill, watching as Starswirl gathered five unicorns from the town below. It was still night and Starswirl had teleported them with him to the nearest majority-unicorn village to watch him raise the sun. Five very tired and haggard unicorns joined Starswirl to walk up the hill. One hung more towards the back, a small and terrified unicorn with a deep midnight blue coat and white hair. He trembled as they climbed the hill.

“Soon I am going to have to find a new town to help me raise the sun. The unicorns here are nearly spent.” Starswirl mumbled to Celestia as they passed.

“Please Starswirl, let me help! I’m ready!” Celestia begged him but the older unicorn simply shook his head.

“Keep on your cloaks and stay out of the way.”

Celestia grumbled and tapped her hoof on the ground nervously. The shaking blue unicorn gave her a sidelong glance. Starswirl moved everyone into position and gave them the instructions. He ignited his white magic, and the other unicorns followed suit. A bright yellow glow started to rise above the horizon.

“Wow!!!” Wendy’s young voice cut through the silence.

The blue unicorn’s eyes flew open and he stared wide eyed at all of them. “I-I can’t do this!”

His horn spluttered, sparked, and went out. He turned on his heel and dashed down the hill. The three alicorns stared as the sun started to drop back under the horizon. Starswirl gritted his teeth and tried desperately to hold it in the sky.

“Celestia!”

The white alicorn threw off her cloak and stared at the sky with a deep-set determined look. She ignited her horn, opened her wings, and flew up into the air. Luna and Wendy watched as she lifted the sun up into the sky slowly. Wendy’s eyes shone with admiration and awe as she squealed and watched her adoptive older sister.

Luna sighed and looked away. “Always in her shadow…” She mumbled to herself.

When Celestia landed back on the hill, a golden sun was shining on her flank. She cheered and threw her forelegs around Starswirl. He stood, dumbstruck as the young alicorn marveled over her new cutie mark. The villagers were frozen, eyes wide and unblinking.

“You...You have wings!” One mare was pointing a shaking hoof at Celestia, her eyes wild.

Celestia tucked her wings tight against her body. “Oh. Um. Yes?”

The unicorns continued to stare and Starswirl stepped in front of his students. “Yes well thank you for your services. It doesn not appear that I will have to return here for your help. Have a good day.”

With that, he sparked his horn and teleported himself and the girls back to the Everfree forest. As soon as they landed, Celestia pranced around them.

“I got my cutie mark!”

Starswirl beckoned her over and inspected the new mark, then had her run through a variety of magical tests to see if anything had changed.

“Perhaps this is your destiny...perhaps this is why you’re an alicorn…” Starswirl stroked his beard pensively.

Celestia and Luna gave each other sidelong glances and Luna slid her eyes to the ground. Celestia bit her lip then trotted quickly towards the cottage.

“Come on. Let’s get breakfast.”

If Starswirl noticed their odd behavior, he didn’t comment. He just followed his student into the house. Luna scooped Wendy up onto her back and followed the others into the house.

oOo

Luna watched as Celestia set the sun so Starswirl could raise the moon. They were at another unicorn village, and five more ponies stood next to the alicorns. Starswirl had always used different towns to raise the sun and moon so that he wouldn’t exhaust all the ponies in one place. Once the sun was set, Celestia tried to lend her magic to raising the moon, but she just went red in the face and her horn spluttered out.

“Not good at everything I see.” Luna mumbled.

Wendy looked at her. “Could you do it?”

Luna blinked down at the younger filly in her lap. “What?”

“If Celestia can raise the sun, can you raise the moon?” Wendy was staring up at her, innocence shining in her eyes.

It was such a simple question, just the kind that a kid making logical leaps would ask. But Luna found herself standing up, her hooves moving of their own accord. She stepped over to Starswirl as he prepared the unicorns. She lit her horn and closed her eyes, feeling a strong pull in her belly. She had always loved the night, always loved the darkness and the silver light of the moon. She tapped into that emotion, the calm, the serenity, the peace.

A Starswirl watched as the moon rose above the horizon seemingly of its own power. He turned to look behind him, and Celestia followed suit. Luna stood on the hill, her muzzle lifted to the sky and her eyes closed softly. Her horn glowed as the moon lifted further from the horizon.

Starswirl’s jaw dropped. Two alicorn sisters with magic well beyond their years, who were able to control the sun and moon on their own??? He really needed to figure out where these girls came from. He slid his eyes over to look at the smallest alicorn in his care. Wendy. She had shown no more magical prowess than any other normal unicorn, nothing like the power that Celestia and Luna had always shown.

What will your destiny be little one? He wondered silently as Luna lifted the moon to its peak in the sky, and a flash of silver light indicated the new cutie mark on her flank. She tilted her head back down and opened her eyes slowly, turning to look at her flank. With a smile she looked at Starswirl who stared back at her open-mouthed.

Celestia squealed and engulfed her sister in a hug. Starswirl dismissed the unicorns again and walked over to them, smiling warmly at the sisters.

“Well what do you know. Two alicorn sisters who control the sun and the moon. What a fascinating pair of connected destinies…”

Celestia and Luna shared another look just before Starswirl teleported them home. Wendy ran into the cottage, laughing and chattering on about the two new cutie marks. Starswirl trotted after her, but the two sisters stayed outside, looking up at the sky.

“Sister. Do you think Wendy is like us?” Luna asked quietly.

“I do not think so my sister. But I know that with talents like these,” They both glanced back at their flanks. “We are going to be very important in Equestria.”

“You think so?” Luna turned to look at her.

Celestia’s were trained on the sky. “We are not meant to fit into this land. There is no one else like us here, not even Wendy. We are not destined to simply fit in. And we both know that we are going to outlive these ponies by centuries. We are meant for something great.”

“I do not know if you are correct sister, but I can only wonder if this is why we are here? Why we were left here...” Luna turned back towards the warmly lit cottage. “For now though, I think it is time to get our little sister to bed.”

Celestia smiled. “Whatever our future is going to be, I am sure that Wendy will be an integral part of it. She may not be like us, but she is not like them either.”

Luna ruffled her feathers. “She’s caught somewhere in the middle.” She remarked, but managed to bite back the ‘like me’ that almost followed. She was constantly in her older sister’s shadow, the lesser magic user, the weaker flyer, the less determined student. And she always got less attention than Wendy, who needed constant teaching and supervision from Starswirl in order to control her magic.

Celestia wrapped a wing around her sister. “Congratulations on your cutie mark. Seems we will be entwined for the rest of our lives.”

Luna glanced back at the dark splotch and the crescent moon on her flank. She heard a crash from the cottage and Wendy’s echoing giggles. She smiled, knowing that despite her complaints, she wouldn't trade her little family for anything in the world.

Author's Note:

Thank you to everyone who is reading! If you would like a back story for your OC, feel free to message me or comment down below! My commissions are open