• Published 27th May 2020
  • 556 Views, 7 Comments

Mutual Interest - Natedogg2006



What's the one bad thing about Fluttershy. Obviously it's Angel Bunny.

  • ...
0
 7
 556

Squeek Squeekity Squeeksqueek

Rainbow Dash pushed the door to Fluttershy's cottage open and stepped through, holding it open for the owner to step through as well.

"Well I still say we pay less when you're there with me. And I still say it's because you are literally supermodel hot."

Despite having been having this discussion most of the way back to her cottage, Fluttershy still blushed at the compliment as she walked into her kitchen and used her wings to set the few bags of groceries Rainbow Dash had actually let her carry onto the counter. She then proceeded to help Rainbow with the towering and barely still standing pile she'd amassed on her own back before it could fall over.

"Oh Dashie, I'm sure that's not the case. They use to raise the prices on me all the time because they knew I wouldn't argue with them. Maybe they're just trying to make up for when they use to do that."

This made Rainbow turn to her suddenly, then readjust slightly as the still being deconstructed tower was still shakey. She attempted a glare while keeping an eye on the pile as her marefriend pulled off another bag. "Wait a second. When did this happen and exactly which ones did it to you?!"

Fluttershy pulled another bag off and went over to nuzzle the now rigidly standing mare. "Oh don't worry about it. It was a long time ago and you'd hate to lose the discount we get now right?"

With one more bag now being lifted off, the pile was manageable enough for Rainbow to use her own wings to remove the last few bags from her back and set them on the floor. "Yeah yeah, I guess. But if you ever think somepony is doing something like that to you again you'd better let me know." She grumbled as she started to pull items from bags.

"Oh I'm sure you wouldn't need me to. You're so good at protecting me I'm sure you'd fix it even before it started."

Rainbow could only smirk at the obviously manipulative praise. "Of course. When you have the worlds greatest marefriend you gotta kinda step up your game. Need to make sure noponies messing with her or trying to move in on her right?"

She paused in putting away groceries for a second to saunter over to Fluttershy with a smoldering look on her face. Noticing it coming, Fluttershy paused what she was doing as well, angling her cheek so that Rainbow would have a clear target. Rainbows smile just grew at the action as she moved in. She then stopped and had to suppress a growl as she felt something bounce off the side of her head. She found it frustrating that she already knew from past experience the sound a carrot made when hitting her in the head and subsequently landing on the floor.

She was frustrated enough that she quickly abandoned the sweet kiss to the cheek she was planning and instead heard a cute "eep," as she grabbed her marefriend, dipped her low, and planted a deep, passionate kiss on her lips.

As she straightened up the now somewhat wobbly mare, she turned to the source of her annoyance. "Oh hey Angel, didn't notice you there."

Getting her bearings, Fluttershy looked over to the two to find Angel Bunny glaring while Rainbow Dash smiled smugly at him. She just rolled her eyes. "Oh you two," she said as she went back to her work.

The second her back was turned Rainbow extended her tongue to mock the bunny. She then easily dodged the second thrown carrot before raising a hoof at the white fuzz ball. "Hey, would you stop that. We literally just bought those."

Angel Bunny began to make a series a of squeeks and gestures with his paws all without ever lessening his glare at the prismatic pony.

Rainbow scoffed. "Just because I don't technically live here doesn't mean it's not my food. I helped pay for it and those carrots are part of our special dinner tonight."

Angel's squeeks and gestures began to be even more frantic as his glare deepened.

"Oh don't get started on that one again. Keep in mind I've literally known her longer then you've even been alive. Just because we've only been dating for a year doesn't mean you've been watching out for her longer then I have."

Before Angel could begin on his retort Fluttershy cut them both off while putting a few extra things away in her fridge. "Oh you two don't need to have this arguement again. I've already told you both that I appreciate both of you looking out for me. I love you both, but Angel, you have to accept that I love Rainbow in a very special way." Rainbow stuck her tongue out at the bunny again in triumph. Fluttershy shoved a bag into her chest to make her start helping again. "And you don't need to antagonize him."

Angel now stuck his tongue out at Rainbow. Rainbow just rolled her eyes before oh so sweetly responding. "Of course Shy. Anything for you."

She went back to putting away groceries as Angels glare returned.

"Are all the bags on the table the stuff for dinner tonight?"

"Yes they are. But could you please take them all out and get them organized a little bit for me please?"

"Sure thing."

Not liking being ignored, Angel proceeded to jump onto the table where Rainbow was working and began squeeking and gesturing at her again.

"Not that it's any of your business, but me and Shy randomly figured out that tonight is the anniversary of the first day we met in flight school."

"It's true Angel. As of about one o'clock today Rainbow Dash and I have been best friends for exactly twenty years."

"So we decided a nice dinner would be a cool way of celebrating, even if we've been more then just best friends for almost a year now."

The two mares exchanged a wink before going back to what they were doing. Angel however didn't seem done with the conversation. More angry squeeking at Rainbow ensued.

"Don't worry about it. You'll be getting your own special dinner so you and the other critters can go and leave us alone for a few hours."

More gesturing. More squeeking.

"Now that's not really for you to know now is it. That's all part of that special kind of bond Fluttershy has explained.. to... you....." Rainbow stopped as Angel stared at her expectantly. Rainbows head now stiffly turned to the resident animal caretaker in the room. "Flutters... when the heck did I start to understand this dumb bunny?"

Angel's jaw slackened at the realization as Fluttershy simply looked over with mild bemusement at the stunned pair. "Oh, so neither of you noticed when that started. It's been going on for at least a few months now." She sighed as she put away the last of what she had. "Honestly, I didn't say anything because I hoped it would finally make the two of you friendlier towards each other. If anything the fact that you two can understand each other only makes it easier for you to argue. I really wish you both could just get along sometimes, at least for my sake."

Both bunny and pony had managed to recover somewhat from the revelation, so both of them noticed the heavier sigh that followed as Fluttershy came over to inspect Rainbows organization. Even moreso, they both realized the other had noticed and could tell what the other was thinking at that moment. They nodded to each other in understanding, then both cringed at how naturally it happened.

"Hey Shy, you've got a little prep work to do before you need my help to start on dinner right?"

Fluttershy seemed confused by this but still answered with a nod. "Yeah. I've also got to feed the rest of the animals, so you've got a little while. Why?"

Rainbow considered coming up with an excuse, but knew Fluttershy had long since gotten way too good at catching her in those. "I think me and Angel just have to discuss something is all."

Fluttershy looked back and forth between them suspiciously. "You two aren't going to fight are you? Because I've heard him talking to Beary about what to do if you two ever really get into a fight."

Rainbow resisted the urge to glare at the bunny upon hearing that. "Don't worry about it. We'll be back in a little while. Promise."

***

Having been given leave to talk for a little while, the pony and the bunny had proceeded to walk up the road just a little way away from the cottage. They stopped just a little past a bend in the road where they couldn't be seen from where they'd come. The shadow of Rainbow's cloud house that had been moved so she could be close to her marefriend hung over them giving them a fairly cool place to talk.

The two turned to face each other, glares turned to their maximum settings. If any pony had happened across the scene they might have instantly been convinced they heard the distant sounds of a rattle snake and the crack of a whip.

"So, it appears we can understand each other."

Angel crossed his arms and looked away, chittering smugly as he did.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Don't try to get philosophical on me rabbit. We can understand what the other is saying, that's all that matters. I don't need you getting into some high and mighty garbage about me never being able to, wow we really should of figured this out sooner."

Angel Bunny visibly deflated as he apparently mirrored the statement.

"All we really need to, understand, about each other is that I don't like you and I'm pretty sure you don't like me. Can we agree on that?" Angel nodded with certainty. "But I'm assuming we both think Fluttershy is the most amazing pony in the world."

Angel now made another set of chitters while smiling an evil smile at Rainbow.

"Oh you'd better take that back rabbit." Angel simply crossed his front paws and turned away in a haughty manner that would make Rarity proud. Rainbows legs flexed as she forced back her rage and took a few deep breaths. She sighed briefly before continuing. "You know what, I'm not going to let you bait me like that, and not just because I already know Beary is in that bush behind you." Said bush shook slightly before the sounds of something large attempting to move silently could be heard in the surrounding foliage. "It's because I gotta admit, you're right."

Betraying no reaction at the apparently retreating bear, Angel now turned back to Rainbow. He chittered lightly while eyeing her and trying to figure out where she was coming from.

"Yeah, it's true and even I'm not so full of myself that I can't admit it. I don't deserve Fluttershy. But you know what, neither do you." Angel made a move towards Rainbow but she cut him off before he could speak again. "I'm pretty sure nopony, or rabbit, deserves her. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I'm willing to spend the rest of my life trying in some small way to show her that."

Angel froze at the words as the mare pushed off the ground hard. He was nearly knocked over by the push of the down current as the pegasus cleared the distance up to her cloud home in seconds. And in just seconds more she dove right back down to where he still stood. A small black box came to rest in front of him.

"Just in case you thought I was in any way joking about that."

Angel didn't need to open the box to know what it was. Rainbow wasn't sure if a bunny was even technically capable of growling, but this bunny seemed to manage it. In an instant he had leapt from where he was and now had Rainbow Dash by the chest fluff. Rainbow had never heard something so small sound so angry.

"Calm down, I can't understand you when you're this emotional."

Angel Bunny didn't seem to like that. One of his paws reached back before he brought it forward as hard as he could. The tiny, fluffy appendage was stopped abruptly. Rainbow hadn't seemed to move at all, so Angel was surprised to find his paw being held in place by a feathery appendage. With a slight flex to her wing she pushed his paw back to his side. It was clear that had she wanted to swat him off, she could have. He hung there, still grasping her fur, and shaking with anger.

"You know Fluttershy almost as well as I do. Has she been happier since we've been together?"

Though his rage didn't subside, he allowed his grip to loosen and for himself to drop to the ground. He growled the whole way as he stomped as hard as his bunny paws would let him back over to where the tiny box still sat.

"And unfortunately, you kinda know me pretty well at this point too. Do you think for a second that I would stop doing everything I could to make her happy. Even if it means trying to make nice with you."

Angel's shoulders finally slumped as his anger burned itself out.

"Yeah, that's right." Rainbow felt she'd finally gotten her point across. She smiled and allowed some of her usual bravado to surface. She straightened up as she began to speak with confidence. "I am the element of loyalty after all. Nothing could make... Hey." Rainbow stopped her boasting as something hit her in the face. This time she managed to catch it. "I thought we were getting along, what was that..."

She once again stopped as she noticed what Angel Bunny had hit her with. She now cradled the little black box in her foreleg. She looked down to the white bunny with shock. And while he didn't seem happy, he didn't seem mad anymore either.

"Really?" She asked hesitantly.

His paw went up, one finger on it sticking up.

"Name it."

His chittering was now softer, but there was an air of finality to it.

"No problem. I didn't even know calling you rabbit instead of bunny could be offensive." She had actually, but it was an easy enough concession to make so she wasn't about to rock that boat.

Angel made a few squeeks before turning in mock indignation.

Rainbow could only laugh. "Well if we're at least friendly enough to joke around, could I maybe ask for your help?"

Angel made a small squeek as he turned to face Rainbow curiously.

"I want this to be a night Fluttershy is gonna remember forever."

***

Later on that night Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash dined by candle light. They had had fun trying to put a slightly more gourmet spin on some of the few meals they could remember from flight school that they could agree were actually edible. The results were mixed, but neither of them were still hungry by any stretch of the imagination. The atmosphere and conversation had been just as, if not more enjoyable as any night they took the time to be alone together. They were finishing off their desserts when a nervous pit started to develop in Rainbow's stomach.

She managed to keep her attention on the mare before her as she noticed a pair of white ears pop up in the window behind her.

"Hey Shy," she said with a smirk as she lifted her hoof. "You got a little something there."

Fluttershy was caught a little off guard by this, having been trying to be on her best manners for the occasion. While she was distracted by the food she was sure couldn't be there Rainbow made a quick gesture with her hoof to the now peeking bunny.

Seeing the signal, Angel dropped from the window and began running through the grass and bushes surrounding the cottage. The night was now dark enough and the cottage gently lit enough that the fireflies now jostled from they're places managed to give a certain glow to the interior where their light streamed in.

Glad her companion hadn't noticed the change take place, Rainbow decided to move onto the next step. "Here, why don't you just let me get it." Rainbow leaned over the small table between them to kiss away the nonexistent trace of food Fluttershy had been trying to clean.

The kiss lingered just long enough for Fluttershy to give a sly smile when they parted. "There wasn't anything, was there?" Rainbow only smiled smugly to that. "You're so bad."

"What are you going to do about it?" Rainbow knew exactly what she planned to do about it, and it would be great for her on multiple levels.

Fluttershy now lifted her nearly forgotten spoon with whatever remnants of their dessert she could gather. She proceeded to dot the other mares face with spots in strategic locations. She then affected her best Rainbow Dash voice and announced, "oh hey, you got a little something right there." She didn't waste any time before leaning in to clean up the mess.

Angel had been watching from the window and grumbled at the scene. It was the pure fact that he couldn't remember Fluttershy ever being that confident that he made the trip up to the tree to wake the birds he'd gathered there. He was positioned so that he could still see into the cottage and groaned at seeing his caretaker currently taking great care with the other mare. He still decided to queue up the birds, starting them off very low.

While trying to keep her composure inside, Rainbow still couldn't hear the birds song. She managed to reach a forehoof around Fluttershy and gestured for Angel to go higher.

Angel did just that. Only having them go in little increments as he understood that the key was for the music and lighting to be so subtle that they affected Fluttershy without her even knowing it.

"Rainbow Dash, I love you so much."

Rainbow had to get her wits back to her in a hurry as Fluttershy pulled away from her. Luckily she could now just barely hear the music and quickly made the gesture for Angel to stop. Angel was actually somewhat impressed that she then managed to play it off as bringing her hoof up to brush it lightly against the side of Fluttershy's face.

He could just barely hear it inside as Rainbow responded. "I love you so so much too Shy. In fact..."

Angel Bunny chose that moment to decide he was done watching. He quickly hopped back down the tree to where the remainder of his super extra special salad lay. His super extra special salad made even more special with a large extra helping of his favorite cherry tomatoes provided by Rainbow Dash of all ponies.

He supposed having her around more wouldn't be that bad. Which was probably good judging by the excited gasp and joyful squee he now heard escape the cottage.

He took a bite of one of his special treats and found that he was smiling. It had to be because of the cherry tomato. Yeah, that's definitely why he felt happy.

Author's Note:

While literally finishing my other story for the may pairing contest, a spark of inspiration hit me. My wife came up with most of the other story, but this one was actually based on a small idea I'd had a long time ago but never managed to put into a story. That, plus the fact that I'm back in my comfort zone of writing for Rainbow made me get most of this done in just a couple hours before going to bed. Ok ok, while I should have been sleeping after going to bed. I had a lot of fun writing this one, so I hope everyone likes it. Not really planning on winning, just hoping people will leave comments. Love hearing from you all, good or bad.

Comments ( 7 )

Love the discourse between the two.

10256041
That was the most fun part. I loved making Dash over react so you could tell what Angel had said.

10256071
Yeah there is something oddly amusing about conversations where one person is saying both sets of lines for some reason. Maybe it’s the inherent absurdity of it all. There is a really odd joke in Monty Pythons later seasons where you infer that every time some one is consulting someone through a phone they get asked there shoe size for whatever reason.

Loverly to see other people writing angel bunny in rainbow dash and fluttershys life.
You did a great job here and RD and Angels conversations were great the way you wrote them. Rainbow Dash’s reactions in particular were great at showing both what he said and displaying how she was feeling.
That’s also a cool idea that Dash could eventually understand Angel bunny. I really like it and am tempted to use in a future story...

10256841
Feel free. That moment she realizes it's happening is basically what the whole store is built off of. I think I originally planned on using it in a flutterdash at some point, I just never managed to work it in. And yeah, it's funny that he's so often ignored (even by me) or blatantly written out of stories. Thanks for reading.

10256841
Thanks for the fav too:twilightsmile:

Thanks for the first hundred views everyone

Login or register to comment