• Published 6th Jul 2020
  • 314 Views, 4 Comments

The Core - Robert Emerald Fountain



Saving the world from destruction

  • ...
 4
 314

Restarting the core

Smolder remembered learning about ripples in science class, and formulated a simulation that showed what would happen if they split up the explosives in separate compartments. If detonated in the right spots at the right times, the resulting ripple would push against each other and restart the core. She talked to her crew mates and they all agreed. Neighsay explained that the master switch to allow compartments to be jettisoned without damage was behind a small hatch in the tunnel used to enter the ship. Smolder volunteered to disable the switch, and put her helmet on. The tunnel was blazing hot, so Gallus opened a valve that was hooked to an emergency coolant tank. The temperature was reduced, and Smolder was able to shut off the switch without too much trouble. She still had heat exhaustion, so she had to drink water. As Silverstream and Ocellus got the explosives ready, Sandbar released each compartment when they were clear. When the last one was released, they waited for the ripples to start. When the final ripple started spreading, the team got ready to leave the core. They used the ripple as a jumpstart to get going. They only used the impellers and kept the lasers turned off.

In Canterlot, everyone at Mission Control watched as the core regained its rotation and the world cheered. Twilight assembled a rescue crew to pick up the Young Six after they were back above ground. Neighsay watched as the radar dot from the Light of Hope moved closer to the crust and then emerged in the North Luna Ocean. He tracked where they were and reported their location to Twilight. She sent the crew out and they hoisted the ship out of the water on cables. The world was jubilant for the Young Six being brave enough to go that far under the ground. Twilight awarded them with medals of honor with crossed phoenix feathers, which was the highest award for anyone. The Young Six also had a stained glass window of them in the hall of Equestria's heroes. The world had been saved from destruction.

The End

Comments ( 1 )

No Whales? No Rat? No Destiny?

Login or register to comment