• Published 8th May 2020
  • 2,291 Views, 26 Comments

A Surging Progression - citrusorange



Pharynx won't ever accept these new Changeling customs. He won't ever accept the lovey-dovey ways of his peoples. Even on his death bed he won't ever sympathize for the Ponies like his people do. Maybe he'll tolerate, for the sake of Her.

  • ...
1
 26
 2,291

Delegationbug

Sometime ago...

"Why, it's a charm to see you once again Princess!" Thorax's bubbly voice laughed, his normally inquisitive and meek attitude giving way to a beautiful chime of mirth. Twilight giggled, ears anchoring to her head.

"Why, thank you Thorax. It's so nice to see you too. How are those libraries you told me you were creating? On.. Larvae Street, I believe you placed it?"

She didn't even see the smaller, darker brother that stood stalwart in Thorax's shadow like a viper ready to strike. It would insult him if she actually did see him, but Pharynx knew better than most. Twilight was analytical, a logical thinker, and above all aware. Awareness for the fine detail, the memory, the important things of academia and governance. Yet, she lacked any awareness for what is called 'socializing' however, and it was something Pharynx had stashed away in his mind during the Siege of Canterlot when he saw her save the day.

Eugh, don't remember the blast. Just remember where you're at now, boy.

A shimmer of green danced warily in his peripherals, and he suppressed a shudder. One must respect but try to not remember his Queen after she falls, especially one named Chrysalis. Freedom of her 'tutelage' was one that did more damage than relief for her former elites. Twilight did notice Pharynx's shudder as Thorax stepped more to the left to allow his older brother into the royal guests' bed chamber. Her eyes glazed over in a gentle tide of fear, glossing over Pharynx's body and sending the smallest bit of tingles down his spine. He suppressed the grimace of the bitter aftertaste flooding the back of his throat, his stoic but naturally intimidating gaze staring her down.

"Pharynx! It's... so nice to see you?" Twilight squeaked out. Pharynx glowered. Thorax bit his lip and leaned away from the sudden tension.

Fortunately, Pharynx's anger management lessons had actually done wonders for his diplomacy. "Good ta see you too, Princess." Could work on the tone, something a little more friendly, but Pharynx had managed to achieve something beyond an insult or threat. Thorax mentally cheered.

A swirl of joy broke some of the chains of the fear that danced around in Pharynx's tongue, dampening his bitter mood just a bit as both Thorax and Twilight immediately forced a transition into discussing something stupid. Libraries, education, schools of friendship. That sort of thing.

"I must ask, do you think a canary blend would do wonders for the library's decor? Oh, oh! Built-in staircases that go right through entire stair cases, allowing you to peruse level-by-level on the book shelfs? Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself!" Thorax blabbered on to the equally enthused Twilight. The emotions of passion and joy did take his mind out of the shadows of negativity, but too much of it was just overwhelming to the grouchy Prince.

Rolling his shoulders, he kept an eagle eye on a chattering Thorax as he stepped to the other side of the room, towards the open balcony.

No doors?

Pegasi landings, but still should have doors.

Complete vulnerability. To this day, this place is still easy to infiltrate and conquer.

Shelfing the thoughts, he looked over to the walls, looking at the portraits of random nobles and scenery neatly magicked to the wall. Freshly dusted. Maintenance has keys to all the rooms of the castle. Pharynx catalogued more and more discrepancies of strength and fortitude in his mind for sometime later. Another quick glance to his brother showed he was more than capable of engaging in academia talks with the Princess of Friendship.

He stepped outside of the room and into the long, winding chambers and hallways. Pockets of guards stood, patrolled or transferred region-to-region, with the bustling lines of maids and butlers alike rushing to their destinations. Looks of distrust, uncertainty and the slightest twinge of hatred. Another blackening taste that ashed his tongue.

All looked wary, except Her.

She stood with several guards down the hallway, and Pharynx could hear the discussions of guard detail concerning the new royal VIPs - Pharynx and Thorax - and her authoritative tone. Individual guards ran off with each order she gave. Her eyes flashed down the hall to other stationed and transitioning guards. The wiry muscles in her unique armament flexed and molded with the cloth. Uncontested authority. The decimated horn, the scars and all. This was that mare that lead that Storm whatever invasion. And won.

Here she stands, now leading guards in the place she had once conquered.

Pharynx snorted. Ponies.

A rustling of equipment. A clanking of metal. A sickening taste of fear that ran more roughly down his digestive tract than any crying foal having a nightmare's emotion could ever give. "Lord Phar- Pharynx, I a- am to be your ssss- sentry for the remainder of- of your sta-"

"Not necessary." Pharynx replied, his eyes finding themselves on a young guard.

"Or- Orders of the C- Captain, milord."

"Your Captain don't outrank me. You testin' me?" Pharynx's fins bristled, a fang sneaking out of his lips as he stared down this close-to-pissing-himself greenhorn.

"N-No! No, mil- milord! I- I- I would n- n- never test your auth- authorilll.. autho- authority!" The young buck could do nothing but stammer and sweat profusely, his eyes wide like saucers. Pharynx could see his form shaking, and the pleasant hum of the ambient castle seemed to still to a dead halt.

"Then take you and your hatchling courage to your Captain and tell 'em ta stuff it!" Pharynx growled, leaning so forward that the guard landed on his rump and leaned so far back he could feel his spine compressing in protest. Yet, without a beat, he managed to snap an Equestrian salute to his brow and scramble pathetically towards the direction of one Tempest Shadow.

Huh. This oughta be good.

Tempest's facial expression had never changed during the entire exchange. One slate face, staring down the oncoming rookie who seemed like he was running from a manticore juiced up on PEDs than anything.

"Ca- Captain! VIP-2 do- doesn't want a g- guard, ma'am!"

Tempest slowly looked up, her lidded gaze meeting the natural fury of the defiant Changeling Prince. Her head craned ever so slightly, and she spoke: "So it would seem."

From the tornado of fear that always danced in the back of his throat, her gaze and her emotional aura she subconsciously radiated out to him was one of.. neutrality. It tasted like water and flowed like it too, purging the bitter and mood-ruining terror and distrust out of his system. He could feel his chest become ever so lighter.

Haven't tasted 'nothing' in so long.. Nice.

His jaw closed itself into a frown, and she returned it.

Pharynx found himself approaching the Captain, a stinking look in his eyes. "You think I can't protect myself, pony?"

She continued to stare at him as if he was a passing commoner- something to be forgotten about a couple seconds later. "No. I think you are more than capable, Prince Pharynx. It is just customary to keep a guard on each VIP's being during their stay in the-"

"So you can spy on me? Know where I'm at? A Prince can't go nowhere without being harassed, is that what you're tellin' me, Captain?" His eyelids were twitching.

"Spy, no. Monitor, yes, milord," said Tempest.

"So you say, pony. You stick me with your worst to 'monitor' me?" Pharynx growled out.

"Yes, milord," Tempest said, finally showing facial change with a quick suckle of her cheek. "I suppose it was incorrect to assign a greenhorn to your stature, and I can rectify this issue at your request. However, I cannot allow you to roam our castle without a ward. Surely you would do the same?"

The same? Would he? Was he the one to do the same? It would look foolish to lie and say no, that he'd never place an entire squad of wards to monitor a single VIP. In fact, he wouldn't have them map out the VIP's every single move and file it in report with step-by-step recollection and even down to the food they ate during their stay to account for inventory. It would be asinine to assume he would have doubled the patrols and kept an additional eye himself on said VIPs during his weekly inspection of the royal guards of Thorax's kingdom.

...It would be unwise to admit it, as well. There was an entire new ballgame to play by admitting even a single customary detail of the changeling defense... But it was such a common thing to do, so what was the real harm in agreeing with a pony for once?

"..You are correct," he ground out with a sneer. Tempest nodded, looking over to a guard stationed against a wall a few steps away.

"Strong Hold, come here-"

Pharynx took a step towards her, smiling like a psychopath who found his newest victim alone at night. "No, pony. I don't want your run of the mill weaklings."

Tempest looked back over to the hostile Prince, an eyebrow raised.

Pharynx's smiled only got more vicious. "I want you to be my ward, pony. Show me what the best of the best looks like, huh? How 'bout it?"

An odd emotion flooded Pharynx's tongue, dancing along his mouth before eventually skydiving into his stomach. Annoyance. The uncommon, but tangy taste much like an orange that Pharynx always fancied himself to as a hatchling, bullying smaller, weaker changelings for their grub. A very.. boosting emotion, indeed. Tempest's annoyance, and her tightening face seemed to make the changeling Prince radiate with mirth, his predatory grin unraveling into a laugh like he stuffed somepony's face into their birthday cake while they didn't expect it.

"..Fine. I'll be your ward and escort around the royal castle, Prince Pharynx. I trust you won't do anything illegal." Tempest's tone was short, her eyes narrowing at the laughing Prince.

"If you can't stop me, how're you the best, pony?!"

Comments ( 4 )

Hehehe. Tis love at first fight-

Bullet with Lovebug wings?
Ragebug with butterfly wings?
By Smashing Ponies?
Rage against the love machine... wait, no... that's a different...

Despite all of Pharynx's rage, the grouchy lovebug still is mentally trapped in a cage.

"Despite all my rage I'm still just a bug in a cage."
Or...
A Changeling is a vampire...
Sent to drain.
Secret destroyer...

Heh. Now kiss!

Login or register to comment