• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,949 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,949

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 3 - The Trials - Tempering Makes the Alloy Strong

Dear Rainbow, Pinkie and AJ

Girls, I have terrible news, especially for you Rainbow. You may want to sit down for this, because it's a tragedy of the highest order. Okay… here goes.

I can fly.

I know, it's awful. Now I’m going to turn into an egomaniac. I can feel my pride just starting to infect my brain, making me so sure of my awesomeness that I can’t think of anything else, while driving me to proclaim it constantly for all Nitor to hear.

Okay, AJ, Pinkie, how mad is Dash right now? I want an accurate description of her face as you were reading that.

All joking aside, yea, in the last few days it seems that my sky-runner flame’s grown enough to start learning to fly. I’m not so good in the air yet, but it’s a start. Maybe I’ll let Dash give me some pointers when I finish my training.

Other than that, my life’s been pretty much study, study, study. Thankfully Philomena’s here to keep me entertained. And by entertained, I mean annoy me constantly. You know how sometimes you’ve got that “voice in your head” that distracts you while you’re trying to focus? Yea, I have one of those. And it’s a cheeky phoenix. Celestia save me when her feathers finish coming in and she starts flying too.

Anyhow, I love you all. Hope to hear back from you soon.

Love,

Sunset Shimmer


AJ.

Sorry about the separate letter, but Lady Inkwell wants the embers covered on this for a little while longer. We had a chance to briefly discuss it the last time I saw her, and we think we might be able to arrange for the crown to “safely and quietly” purchase a couple of barrels of S.A.A. cider every few months. I don’t know why she wants it kept secret, but she’s said that it has to be if we’re going to go through with the arrangement. Now, don’t think that you’re going to get away with giving me any sort of discount on them. I may be family, but I’m also not going to keep you from keeping S.A.A. afloat, so you’re going to be accepting full payment for the cider.

Also, Pinkie and Dash might be planning something. Just a fair warning.

Sunset


Sunset’s feet were dangling in the air a little more than a meter above a large, square, marble platform, both of them drifting in the white void created by Queen Celestia. Unlike the previous times she’d been there, Sunset could feel the pull of gravity trying to drag her towards the marble block. Yet she remained in the air, held aloft by the sky-runner flame coursing through her body. It was a strange, almost disconcerting feeling to be floating like she was at the moment. In a few ways, it reminded her of the feeling she got when she took a sky-rail, or when she rode on Saetha to Golden Tree. Yet, it was also completely different, in that she wasn’t in a vehicle or on the back of a wyvern.

Instead, she was the one doing it through her own power.

“Good. Well done, Sunset,” Queen Celestia’s voice floated across the void. “You’ve managed to stay aloft for four times as long as last time.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Sunset said with a strained, distracted voice, most of her concentration focused on staying in the air.

“Now, begin the next part of the exercise.” As the queen’s voice echoed through the void, two more platforms appeared, one to Sunset’s right, and one to her left. On her left, the platform contained nearly a dozen tumrii-melon-sized wooden blocks, while on the right, the platform floated close to a meter above the one she was hovering over. “I’m eager to see how you do.”

“Okay,” Sunset replied as she sucked a deep, bracing breath through her teeth.

As Sunset concentrated on remaining aloft, she began to split her attention slightly to focus on her hair. She could feel the living cascade of flame respond, her senses beginning to extend into it as it formed itself into a single, large tendril. The sensation was strange; not entirely like touch, but something like it. She could sense where the flame was, where it was moving, yet she didn’t feel it like it was another limb as she experimentally made the tendril snake around before her.

‘So far, so good,’ Sunset thought.

Slowly, Sunset extended the tendril to her left and towards the stack of wooden blocks. As the tendril reached the first one, she wound the tip around a small handle on its top. At first, the tendril passed through the loop like a phantom. Growling with frustration, she willed her hair to grab the block with her next attempt, this time managing to grasp it in the tendril’s coils.

Keeping her head as still as possible, she made the tendril lift the block. Though she sensed the resistance and the additional strain the block added to her flight weight, she couldn’t feel the mass like she did when she lifted something with her hands. Still, there was a strange sort of resistance as she began to bring it to the small raised platform on her right.

As she neared the halfway point, the strain of splitting her attention between controlling her hair and remaining aloft caused her concentration to slip a little, and she suddenly dropped down a few centimeters. She felt a moment of panic before she quickly re-asserted her focus, only for her control of her hair to waver in response. The block nearly slipped out of her hair’s grip as it began to lose its corporeality. However, at the last second she managed to recover and reassert her hold as she rose back up to her original floating height.

Sunset let out a sigh of relief as she regained her composure. Still, there was a moment of dread when she realized that the queen had no doubt seen her nearly fail.

Returning her full attention to the task at hand, Sunset’s hair tendril reached the platform and shakily placed the block down with a soft thunk. Taking a deep breath, Sunset turned her attention back to the remaining blocks as she extended her hair tendril and retrieved another.

The process repeated itself two more times as she painstakingly began to build a stack of blocks. As she worked, she found their placement became progressively more difficult as her concentration became harder and harder to maintain. By the time she placed the third block, she was wobbling in the air, sweat beading on her brow as she struggled to keep her concentration divided.

Then, just as she began to lift the fourth block, a drop of sweat rolled into her eye, the stinging sensation breaking her focus. In an instant, her hair reverted to its original state, the tendril withdrawing and dropping the block with a loud crash. Her concentration completely broken by the sound and the pain in her eyes, Sunset unceremoniously dropped out of the air onto the platform, landing harshly on her feet, her left ankle twisting in an unnatural way as she stumbled backwards and fell to the ground.

“Aaah!” Sunset screamed as she rubbed her aching tailbone and backside, fighting back a wave of tears that threatened to burst forth from the pain. “Ow, ow, ow. Curse it to the night…”

Ow! Sunset, what happened?! Philomena sent.

I fell on my butt, Mena, what do you think happened? Sunset replied tersely as she shakily tried to get to her feet. As soon as she put pressure on her ankle, she felt a sharp, stabbing pain run up her leg, causing her to cry out again.

“Daughter of the night!” Sunset swore as she dropped to a knee and grabbed her ankle. Even through her pants and boots, she could feel it starting to swell.

Sunset! Are you okay? Philomena sent.

I twisted my ankle, Mena, Sunset sent as a hiss of pain escaped her throat. Dreaming darkness!

“Sunset,” Queen Celestia’s voice said with a calm yet firm tone, “you’ll be fine. Just stay still.”

Lifting her tear-stained eyes to look into the void, all Sunset could do was nod once as she continued to hold her throbbing ankle.

Slowly, a cloud of golden light formed in the air around Sunset’s injured leg and backside. Unclasping her hands from the limb, Sunset watched as the light flowed into her body. In an instant, she felt the swelling in her ankle disappear, while the pain in both her leg and her backside dimmed to a dull throb. They still hurt a little, but the pain was manageable.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Sunset said as she stood and put pressure on her formerly injured ankle, testing it out. Finding she could stand on it with only a minor ache, she returned to her original position, and prepared to try again.

“Sunset, that’s enough for today,” Queen Celestia said as her voice echoed through the void.

“You Highness, I can keep going,” Sunset said as she began to focus her sky-runner flame to return to the air. “Please, just one more try.”

Before she could leave the ground, she heard the queen say, “No, Sunset. I said that’s enough.”

“But…” Sunset began to protest, only for the words to die in her mouth as she felt the air all around become thicker and authoritative. The sensation was similar to the one she’d felt whenever Raven had gotten angry while they were at the academy, only far more profound and powerful.

“No. Knowing your limits is just as valuable as pushing them, just as learning from your mistakes is just as important as achieving success. You did well, but that’s enough for today,” the queen said, her tone not much different than usual but carrying a weight that brooked no argument. “And, lest you forget, you have other obligations to prepare for, do you not?”

‘Don’t remind me,’ Sunset thought as she let out a frustrated groan.

You sound like you’re not looking forward to tomorrow, Philomena sent with a smug lilt.

Gee, what gave it away?

“Raven will be arriving soon to help you prepare,” Queen Celestia said as the white void broke apart, leaving Sunset standing in Queen Celestia’s hand. “Please take this chance to rest and consider what you’ve been learning. We will resume your lessons when you return from Chromos.”

“Of course, Your Highness,” Sunset said as she bowed respectfully to the queen.

With a nod, the Queen lowered her hand to the sky-rail platform, allowing Sunset to step off. Once on solid ground, she made her way towards a short marble dais topped with a perch where Philomena was resting.

Are you okay now? Philomena sent as she regarded Sunset. Most of the young phoenix’s feathers had come in, leaving her with less fluffy down and more of her fledgling plumage, though a lot of them were still itchy pinfeathers. She’d also continued to grow and was now almost the same size as her siblings. She still wasn’t strong enough to fly on her own, but she could walk and perch without worrying about losing her grip.

Yea, just sore and ticked off, Sunset replied as she held out her arm for Philomena. I can’t believe I almost broke my ankle…

Hey, at least you were with the queen when you did it. She’s pretty good at patching you up when you screw up, right? Philomena sent as she stepped onto Sunset’s arm.

Sunset narrowed her eyes at Philomena, who pointedly ignored the glare.

Your reassurance is about as helpful as being told to stop drowning while you’re crying for help in the middle of a lake, Mena, Sunset sent as she brought Philomena up to her shoulder.

I’m sure it's at least twice as useful as that, Sunset, Philomena sent with a smirk as she stepped onto the pauldron and settled in. Thanks to Philomena’s increased size, she had a hard time perching comfortably, as Sunset’s shoulder was rapidly becoming too small for her. Still she managed to hold on, even as she had to press up to the side of Sunset’s head to do so.

Doubtful, Sunset replied as she began to walk towards the sky-car waiting for her on the edge of the platform, doing her best to ignore the ache in her leg as she went.


The light of the afternoon sun was shining bright and strong over the landing platform of the Cathedral of the Sun, reflecting off the golden embossing and stained-glass windows of the cathedral itself. Standing at attention on the landing platform were two lines of prominence knights, their lacquered armor, iridescent feathers and golden carapaces glinting in the light of the cloudless sky. None of them moved as they waited for their honored guest to arrive.

Behind the line of knights, sitting on the steps of the gate to the cathedral, was Sunset with Philomena in her lap. Sunset’s hands were gently preening Philomena, giving the young phoenix blessed relief from the irritating itch of her pinfeathers.

A tired sigh escaped Sunset’s throat as she rolled one of the matured feather shafts in her fingers, breaking the waxy case off and allowing the barbs to unfold.

How long till Raven arrives? Philomena sent as Sunset began to deal with another annoying pinfeather.

Soon. The knights wouldn’t be here otherwise, Sunset replied without much energy. I still don’t know why she’s making us do this.

Looking up at Sunset, Philomena smirked a little as she rubbed her head against her bond-mate’s hand.

Why? You’re not looking forward to meeting the Council of Light? I can’t imagine why, Philomena sent in a mock-confused tone.

Mena, don’t play games with me right now. I’m not in the mood, Sunset sent back tersely.

Oh, come on, Sunset. We’re just going to meet the people that rule Heliopolis and run its government. It’s not like they hate you or anything, Philomena sent. Oh, wait, a bunch of them do.

Sunset gave her partner a half-lidded glare before huffing in frustration, then went back to preening Philomena’s feathers.

Mena, if I knew that you wouldn’t make me feel it too, I’d be plucking your head bald right now, Sunset sent as she freed another new feather from its waxy casing.

Wow, you’re really in a bad mood, Philomena sent with genuine concern as she shifted in Sunset’s lap and extended a wing to touch Sunset’s cheek with her primary feathers. Wanna talk about it?

Not really much point, Sunset sent as she let out a sigh and put her hand on Philomena’s wing, savoring the contact. I just… hate that I have to deal with them. I don’t even know why Raven wants me at this meeting in the first place.

Sorry, can’t help you there.

Don’t worry about that. It’s just… I can’t shake the feeling that this is just one more move in whatever game Raven’s playing.

There was a moment of silence between the two as Sunset continued to preen Philomena’s feathers.

Ah, that’s the problem, isn’t it?

Sunset nodded.

I… I want to trust her, but after the whole thing around the ascension, I don’t know if I really can. Sunset sighed as she leaned back against the steps and looked up at the sky. Sometimes, I feel like I can forget just who Raven is. What she is. But, then something forces me to remember that she’s been leading Solaria since its birth. And… I can’t help but I feel like I’m… just a piece in Celestia and Raven’s game…

Sunset felt a flood of sympathy and love through her bond as her partner responded not with words, but with feelings. Closing her eyes, Sunset sent a feeling of gratitude back to her partner. The two of them stayed like that for a few moments, just allowing themselves to be wrapped in the warm, comforting sensation of their shared bond. The moment ended when Sunset heard the distant rattle of a sky-car on the sky-rail track. Opening her eyes, she saw the telltale glint of the sky-car from Chromos approaching the landing platform, prompting the prominence knights to stand crisply at attention.

Thanks, Mena, Sunset sent as she offered Philomena her arm, then stood once the phoenix had climbed on. Dusting off her pants with her free hand, Sunset began to walk towards the landing platform.

Anytime. Philomena sent as Sunset brought her to her shoulder while the two of them made their way to greet Raven and Dylis.

*****

After meeting up with Raven, the four of them had made their way to her personal suite, whereupon Raven had ushered them out onto one of her balconies. Unlike the one attached to Sunset’s own suite, which was small and only had a single chair and a marble perch for Philomena, Raven’s was practically a large garden. A thin, cobblestone path led out to a raised deck with a circle of sitting pillows and a low table amidst all sorts of blooming herbs and shrubs, as well as a couple of small fruit trees. As soon as they arrived, Raven had instructed Sunset to make herself comfortable, while she gathered some herbs to make them tea.

Doing as she was told, Sunset made her way to the deck and sat at the table after transferring Philomena to one of the golden perches set on its surface, Dylis joining her a few seconds later as he flew from Raven’s shoulder. Smiling at Dylis, which got a small nod from the elder phoenix, Sunset shifted her attention to Raven as she drifted through the garden, gently pulling leaves, blossoms and a few small fruits from the plants. Once she had gathered enough, Raven flew over, and after collecting a small teapot from underneath the table, filled it with water from a pitcher and performed a quick spell-dance with her right hand, heating the water within.

Once the tea was steeping, Raven took a seat across from Sunset and rested her elbows on the table, lacing her fingers as she regarded Sunset with critical eyes. Sunset squirmed a little in her seat as Raven studied her. Yet, after a moment, Raven’s expression softened, and a warm, half-smile worked its way onto her face.

“I hear you’ve been making excellent progress on your studies, Sunset,” Raven said warmly. “I’m proud of you.”

Sunset was dumbfounded by the sudden praise from Raven, because of all the things she’d been expecting to hear from the seneschal, that wasn’t one of them. Blushing, Sunset looked down at her hands, trying to ignore the gentle nudging Philomena was giving her through their bond.

“Thank you, Raven,” Sunset said shyly. “What have you heard?”

“That the queen has been pleased with your efforts, and that you are developing your flame at a healthy rate. But, I want to know, how do you feel about everything so far? Do you feel that you’re making progress?”

“Everything’s great,” Sunset said nervously, thinking back to her earlier fumble today with her flight lessons. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

Raven narrowed her eyes slightly.

“Sunset, you know I can tell when you’re not being truthful, so please, be honest with me. What you say here, stays here,” Raven said as she retrieved two teacups from below the table and poured them two cups of the steaming liquid. Placing one in front of Sunset, Raven brought it to her mouth and took sip from her own cup. “I promise, this isn’t a test, or a trick. I just want to know how you feel about your lessons, and how you think you’re doing.”

Sunset stared at Raven for a few seconds, unsure how to respond. Of course, Raven could tell that she wasn’t being honest. She was practically a living lie detector, even without her amp.

With a heavy sigh, Sunset grabbed her teacup in both hands and took a drink, her nerves singing as she tried to decide exactly what she wanted to say to Raven. What could she say? As the tea hit her tongue, the soothing flavors of the herbs, flowers and fruits helped calm her nerves slightly.

“Honestly, I’m frustrated,” Sunset finally admitted.

Raven nodded and gestured for her to continue.

“It’s just… All of this is so overwhelming. Everything the queen’s been teaching me… it’s just… I don’t know how to put it into words.”

“I’d say you did just fine. You’re feeling overwhelmed,” Raven said with a nod. “And, it’s fine to feel that way.”

Sunset narrowed her eyes at Raven.

“Sunset,” Raven said, before bringing the cup to her lips again, “your life in the last few months has changed in ways you can’t have ever imagined. It's fine to be overwhelmed. Just as it’s fine to admit it. There’s no weakness in admitting you’re struggling. If anything, it shows awareness and strength of character.”

Setting down her teacup, Raven reached over to Dylis and scratched him on the back of his head.

“And why do you care? Are you just concerned because you don’t want your newest pawn falling behind?” Sunset muttered into her teacup.

Uh, Sunset… Philomena sent in a worried tone.

Looking up, Sunset froze under Raven's narrow, withering stare. Her stomach twisted in knots as she realized what she'd just said. Raven laced her fingers together again and placed her hands on the table. From the side, Sunset could feel Dylis's burning glare.

“Sunset, let me make something abundantly clear: if I wanted a pawn, you would have never said something like that, because I would have been conditioning you from the moment I met you to be absolutely loyal to me and Queen Celestia. And you would have been grateful for it, because I would have carved your mind up in ways you couldn’t possibly imagine to make you my obedient plaything,” Raven said, a strange darkness filling her voice as she rested her elbows on the table before leaning in and propping her nose on top of her hands. Sunset’s heart leapt into her throat and she had to suppress a shudder at just how dangerous Raven’s voice had become. “Are you a piece in the game? Yes, you are. We all are. Even me. But you being some mindless sycophant isn’t what I, Queen Celestia, Solaria or Nitor needs. What we need from you is for you to be you.”

Raven’s expression softened a little, breaking the terrified paralysis that had gripped Sunset’s body. Sunset mopped her brow with a sleeve, wiping off the cold sweat that had accumulated there during Raven’s rebuke.

“I’m asking about your training because I want to know how you’re feeling,” Raven continued, her voice having returned to its normal, level tone. “Not what you think I want to hear. You say you’re overwhelmed? Okay. That’s a good start. But, what is overwhelming you? I can’t help you if you don’t tell me where you’re struggling.”

Shakily taking her teacup in her hands, Sunset brought it to her mouth and took a long, slow drink. Through their bond, she could feel Philomena reassuring her with sendings of hope and love, which she returned with sendings of gratitude. As her nerves began to slowly calm down, she managed to bring her tremors under control and look Raven in the eyes.

“All of it,” Sunset said bluntly.

“All of it?” Raven echoed.

“Yes, all of it,” Sunset said as she gathered her courage. “It's like being stuck underwater, and every time I get near the surface and take a breath, something drags me back down. The queen is so… I don’t know how to explain it, but I feel like she’s both pushing me past my limits, and holding me back at the same time. Like today. She had me trying to fly and control my hair at the same time. I almost broke my leg when I lost my focus, but after she healed me, she made me stop,” Sunset said, before saying much more quietly. “I could’ve kept going, but she wouldn’t let me. What’s the point of pushing me, undoing my mistake, then making me stop?”

“Did she say anything to you after she told you to stop?”

Sunset’s line of thought sputtered as Raven’s question hit her. Looking down at her teacup, she glared at the emerald-green liquid, trying to think back to what the queen had told her. In her frustration, she hadn’t really been paying much attention to Queen Celestia’s words. Only her own annoyance at being told she couldn’t keep going. She’d remembered some of it, but not much.

“She said something about how knowing my limits was important, and learning from mistakes,” Sunset said dejectedly. “I… wasn’t really listening.”

Raven took a drink of her tea and regarded Sunset sternly.

“That’s unfortunate. Chances are, she told you something like ‘knowing your limits and pushing them are both important, just like learning from your failures and victories.’”

“That’s dumb,” Sunset said tersely. “How is failing important? I failed.”

“Sunset, failure is one of the greatest teachers ever. Do you think I’ve never failed? Before you answer: yes, I have. Thousands of times in my long life,” Raven said, pouring herself another cup of tea. “Nobody’s perfect, even the queen. But failures and mistakes aren’t something to fear. They’re something to help you grow. Tell me, do you have a better feeling for your limits now?”

“I…” Sunset started to say, only for the protest to die in her throat. Thinking about it, she actually did. “Fine. Yes, I do. But what’s that matter?”

“That lesson is one of the most valuable lessons you can learn about anything,” Raven said as she took a sip of her tea. “Knowing one’s limits, learning from failure, both help you grow and become better than you were the day before. But, only if you’re willing to open your eyes to see the lessons that they can teach.”

“That's great. But it doesn’t make it any easier,” Sunset said as she reached for the teapot and also poured herself more tea.

“Nor should it. Struggle is also important to growth. You mentioned that you were overwhelmed? If you weren’t you wouldn’t be pushing yourself. Tell me, have you been improving since you started?”

Sunset just nodded.

“Would you have come as far as you have if you hadn’t been pushed? Or had a chance to stop and learn from your mistakes once you hit your limit?”

“Of course I would. Why wouldn’t I?” Sunset said defiantly.

“Are you sure? If you weren’t being made to push your boundaries, do you really believe you would have come as far as you have? Did your old master Bronze Hammer not push you when it came to your lessons?”

Sunset was about to reply, but once again, the words died in her throat. Thinking back to her time with Bronze, she tried to recall their lessons. To him giving her new tasks. How she would mess up at first, only for Bronze to help her through. But, even when he had her working on a single task for weeks, she had always eventually hit a wall, and then pushed past it.

And if she was honest with herself, truly honest, she had to admit that Raven had a point. She doubted she’d have come as far as she had if she’d just let herself smoulder. The queen always pushed her to the breaking point, but never pushed past it. She could now say she knew fundamental runic theory and application better than she ever had back in Golden Tree. The same with spell-dance fundamentals, even if she was still recovering her flame enough to use them. Her skill with metallurgy had also been steadily improving. While not anywhere near the level of someone like Bronze or the queen, she was growing in skill.

Sunset curled in on herself, not willing to admit to Raven that she was right.

“And there it is,” Raven said, though not in an unkindly tone.

“What?” Sunset asked tersely.

“The moment when you begin to understand,” Raven said proudly. “Much like the metal you work when you’re at your forge, the process of you growing into the woman, the leader, that I know you can be won’t be easy. Sometimes, it’ll feel like it’s impossible. But, that’s why we’re teaching you. So that you can be as ready as possible. Even tomorrow’s meeting is meant to help you grow. Every moment has something you can learn, if you’re only willing to allow yourself to.”

“If you say so,” Sunset grumbled.

“I know so,” Raven said. “It just takes time, and a willingness to look.”

The two of them sat there for a little while, Sunset thinking on what Raven had said, before the royal seneschal spoke up again.

“I'm afraid that we’ll have to put this conversation on hold. We need to address the main reason for this visit,” Raven said in her normal, business tone.

“Tomorrow’s council?” Sunset asked, already dreading the answer.

“Indeed,” Raven said, earning another groan from Sunset. “I understand you’re not looking forward to it, but your being there is important. Both for you, and for Solaria.”

“Why?” Sunset asked. “Am I going to be able to vote or propose things? Because I’ve got some stuff I’d like made into law.”

Like making the Heliopolan aristocrats wear cow manure on their heads all the time? Philomena sent.

Nah. Too merciful, Sunset replied as she glanced at her partner.

When she looked back to Raven, Sunset noticed the tiniest of smiles on the royal seneschal’s face at her comment.

“No, Sunset. Until you’re granted your title, you won’t be actively participating in Council sessions. Only observing.”

Sunset leaned back and crossed her arms.

“So, why do I need to be there? If I can’t participate, I might as well just stay here and bang my head against Queen Celestia’s lessons. At least that way I’d be doing something useful with my time.”

Raven’s eyes narrowed slightly at Sunset as she felt the air grow thicker all around them, while a low, annoyed warble escaped from Dylis’s throat.

“Sunset, watch your tone,” Raven said, her voice level but clearly displeased. “You’re drawing far too close to crossing a line with me that you don’t want to cross.”

“Sorry, Raven,” Sunset said in a low voice, trying not to let her reaction to Raven’s rebuke show.

“Apology accepted, Sunset,” Raven said with a nod, her presence returning to normal. “But, to answer your question, aside from you learning how the council operates, your attendance is important to establishing your legitimacy. Something that we’re going to need to lay the foundation for if we want your transition into your title to go smoothly.”

“What?” Sunset asked. “How am I going to do that if I’m just sitting around like some doll?”

“Sunset…” Raven warned.

“Sorry.”

Raven was quiet for a few moments as she finished her current cup of tea, before continuing.

“Most meetings are exclusive to members of the Council of Light. As a phoenix-born, by law you’re already considered a member and have the right to be present, even if you’re not allowed to actively participate yet. Consider, what sort of message does it send to the Council if you’re present? And what does it say to the people who were allied with Highblood?”

“Well,” Sunset began, her brow furrowing as she thought about it, “I guess it’d be pretty much a giant dream to them. But I thought you took care of everyone that blasphemed against the phoenix-rite?”

Raven nodded at that.

“We did,” she said simply. “But not everyone that supports Highblood, or those that share his and Steel’s views on Heliopolis’s ‘divine superiority’ were involved in manipulating the rite. Most of them weren’t. And many of those who do still consider you illegitimate due to where you were born, or that you weren’t one of the ‘chosen.’ You’ll have to contend with them sooner or later. Keeping you on Mt. Liakeed has kept you safe, but it also means that they aren’t being made to accept your ascension. This is the first step towards that end.”

“So this is a move in your game,” Sunset said tersely.

“Not my game, but yes. And not a move to rob you of your agency, if that’s what you’re afraid of. It’s a move to force those who might oppose you to recognize your legitimacy, and that you’re not going away.”

“Fine. I guess that makes sense,” Sunset grumbled as she crossed her arms. “Why do I get the feeling that there’s more to it, isn’t there?”

“You’re catching on. So, let me answer your question with a question: Why else might it be beneficial for you to attend, and what you might be able to learn from this?”

How the Heliopolans manage to speak when they have their heads up their butts? Sunset sent Philomena, who replied with a mental giggle.

Sighing, Sunset found herself one again contemplating Raven’s words and trying to figure out what she was getting at. The legitimacy thing made sense, in a twisted, Heliopolan sort of way, she supposed. It’s wasn’t like she had a lot of experience in how Heliopolans thought. Wracking her brain, Sunset found herself resting her forehead in her palms as she leaned forward and braced her elbows on the table.

“You… want me to get out of the cathedral for a while and take a break from my studies?” Sunset ventured.

“While not a bad throught, that’s not quite what I was getting at,” Raven said as she set her teacup down. “Let me ask another question: When you were working under Bronze Hammer, did you always begin by trying a new technique that you weren’t familiar with?”

“Well, no,” Sunset said as she lifted her head out of her hands, her brow furrowed at the question. “He’d show me a few times before he… oh. That’s what this is about, isn’t it? You want me to see how the council works, don’t you? That’s the lesson.”

“Good. Very good,” Raven said with a nod. “Council politics are cutthroat. And something I doubt you’re prepared for just yet. While we’re there, I want you to watch. Observe. Start to learn the rules of the game. See how the members of the council make their moves. And start to understand how to read past what is said to find what is meant.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sunset asked.

“Politics is in many ways like a war, Sunset,” Raven said matter-of-factly. “Not a war of spell-dances, guns and soldiers, but one of words, deals, alliances and deception. Where you must navigate a maze of lies and half-truths to see beyond what is said to find what is meant. Tomorrow, you’ll get your first taste of this war. You will be offered honey by many people, but that honey may be tainted, or be given as a distraction to hide the dagger in their other hand. The sooner you begin to learn the rules and find how to spot the traps, the better.”

“And if I don’t want to play the game?” Sunset asked, her tone frustrated. “It’s not like I have to. I could just not get involved and let things play out without me.”

“You could indeed. But, then you’ll have already conceded to your foes. Like it or not, you’re already part of the war, and if you don’t want it to consume you and those you love, you’ll need to learn to fight. And win.”

“I don’t like it,” Sunset said with a frown.

“Neither do I, Sunset, but it’s the role Harmony has given us. And it is our duty to see it through,” Raven said as she looked up to the sky. “Do you know what I was before the Splintering?”

Sunset froze in place, her jaw dropping open as she gawked at Raven. Of all the things Raven could have asked, that was one she was completely unprepared for.

“Um… well… no, I don’t,” Sunset stammered. “Nobody does… well, except you, Dylis and the queen.”

“I was a clerk in the Harmonia archives. It was one of the greatest repositories of magical knowledge to ever exist. Even after joining with Dylis and becoming a member of the Flame Weavers, it was all I ever wanted in my life,” Raven said wistfully as she reached out to Dylis, who rubbed his head against her hand, before her tone turned sad. “Then, the Traitor instigated the Splintering. I was forced to become a soldier then. I fought. I killed. I protected those who followed the rightful queen. I bled, and I made others bleed. And after the dust had settled, I was the last of the phoenix-born. Queen Celestia had been exiled to the south of Impraecordia by Empress Harmony herself. The sun-gazers were alone. Lost. They needed someone to lead them. To help them find the queen. So I had to step up, and once again become something I never wanted to be. If I hadn’t, we wouldn’t have survived.”

Raven turned to Sunset and leveled her with a look. And for the first time, Sunset could see all of Raven’s centuries of life in her eyes. The terrible weight of having to live through one of the greatest disasters since Umbra’s fall or the Chaos War. Of having to bear the burden of holding so many lives in her hands. Of regrets. And triumphs. And of a loss that Sunset could barely comprehend.

It was almost overwhelming in its sheer magnitude.

“I’ve long ago made peace with what I’ve become, Sunset. And the role that I now have to play. That all of us have to play. So, no, I don’t blame you for not wanting to be part of this. But, you are. And no amount of wishing that it wasn’t so will change that. All I can do for you is to make sure you’re prepared for what is to come. And to be there for you, if you want me to be.”

And then, in the blink of an eye, it was gone, and Raven’s mask was back on, as though nothing had happened, leaving Sunset’s mind reeling.

“For now, you should focus on learning what you can at the meeting,” Raven said in her normal, calm and controlled voice, pulling Sunset out of her dumbfounded state. “As far as the logistics are concerned, we’re going to be addressing administrative business, a session on the budget for the next season, and several other small legal proposals. However, the bulk of the meeting is going to be devoted to dealing with the fallout of Highblood’s manipulation of the phoenix-rite, and how the crown and the cities are going to move forward.

“I don’t expect you to follow everything that happens. All I ask is that you listen, and try to learn from the experience.”

“Yes, Raven,” Sunset finally said, her voice shaky. “I’ll do my best.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Raven said, before draining the last of her tea from her cup. After extending her arm to Dylis and transferring him to her shoulder, Raven rose to her feet. “Now, I’m afraid we’re going to have to do something I know you dislike.”

“Look at Steel Sentry’s face?” Sunset quipped, trying to lighten the mood a little.

“Thankfully, no,” Raven said with the slightest hint of amusement. “Council meetings have a strict dress code, so I’m afraid we’re going to have to get you fitted for the appropriate attire.”

A look of horror bloomed on Sunset’s face at the thought of being stuffed into another frilly monstrosity. Looking at Raven, Sunset’s face warped into a frown as she saw Raven smiling at her dismay.

“Don’t worry, Sunset,” Raven said reassuringly. “I’m not like Roseluck. I won’t wrap you in frills and lace. I promise.”

What had followed when they returned to Sunset’s suite was a flurry of activity as a quartet of sun-touched summoned by Raven descended upon her like a swarm of bees to a flower. When they arrived, they presented her with a parade of different clothes that somehow were pre-fitted to her size. Unlike when Roseluck had “helped” with her outfit, Raven was at least willing to listen to her input… to a degree. So, in the end, they’d assembled something Sunset thought was tolerable.

At which point, Raven dismissed the sun-touched and informed Sunset and Philomena that Sunset, and only Sunset, would be joining her at the Palace of Lords the next day at Queen Lumina’s request. Sunset voiced her displeasure but relented when Raven told her that it wasn’t negotiable. Sunset asked whether she’d be going with Raven and had been told that no, she wouldn’t. Raven had to be there early to prepare everything, so Sunset would be meeting up with Roseluck at the Chromos sky-rail. With that, Raven suggested to Sunset that she review her etiquette manual in preparation, both to ensure she knew the proper rules of the council session, as well as know what was expected of the councilors when they interacted with her.

Sunset had buried herself in said manual for most of the afternoon and next morning, up until she had departed from the Cathedral for Chromos. If she had to do this thing, she was going to do it right, and not give the Heliopolans any quarter. She had to play this game? Fine. She’d play. And she’d play to win.

*****

Sunset listlessly stared out at the approaching wall of Chromos of the Core from the window of the sky-car as it neared the sky-rail station. Aside from a platoon of prominence knights, Sunset was alone. She felt Philomena’s absence to the point where it was almost painful after having been inseparable for the last month and a half. But, as with her last trip from the Core, Raven and Queen Lumina had forbidden Philomena from making the trip to Chromos until she had fully fledged and could fly under her own power.

Taking her eyes off the approaching building, Sunset glared down at the red, black, gold and teal dress she was wearing, as if her stare could make the thing disappear or burst into flame. But it stubbornly refused to cease existing. The garment wasn’t a grotesque, frilly abomination like the one Roseluck had managed to stuff her into the day of her ascension. Instead, it consisted of a simple high-collared, full-sleeve red blouse and black vest, knee-length golden skirt, red slacks, and black, calf-length boots, along with a teal sash-belt. The thing was closer to her preferred style, so it was at least tolerable. Still, it was irritating, because it represented the next two days of her life.

The sky-car shuddering as it came to a stop broke her out of her brooding. Looking out the window, she saw they’d docked in the terminal. Moments later the door slid open to let her disembark. Taking a deep breath to steel herself, she rose to exit, only to be stopped by one of the prominence knights.

“Please, wait a moment, Your Grace. We need to secure the perimeter,” all three members of the knight said in perfect synchronization. As they did, the rest of the prominence knights burst into motion. First out were the feathered serpents, exiting the car and taking to the air above, while the earth-weavers and fire-callers, along with their colaurata brethren, exited and took up a semi-circular position on the landing platform.

Once in place, the lead knight turned to Sunset and bowed.

“Follow us, Your Grace. We will take you to Archduchess Roseluck,” they said, the fire-caller and plumed serpent bowing to Sunset while the colaurata buzzed their wings.

Nodding, Sunset rose and followed them off the car, out onto the platform and down into the depot, the knights maintaining a perimeter around her at all times. Upon exiting the landing platform, they passed through several long corridors and into a large lounge. Once inside, Sunset spotted the immaculate form of Archduchess Roseluck. The elder phoenix-born was dressed in one of her signature rose-blossom dresses, though one more subdued than usual. She was currently sitting in a lounge chair with a book in hand, Amara on a golden perch just behind her. Upon hearing the sound of the doors opening, the archduchess and her bond partner looked in their direction, the former’s face spliting into a happy smile.

“Ah, Sunset!” Roseluck cheered as she rose from her seat and set her book down, then made her way towards Sunset as quickly as decorum allowed.

“Bright day to you, Archduchess Roseluck,” Sunset said with a warm smile of her own as she curtsied to the archduchess.

“I see Raven’s got you ‘following proper etiquette’ already, hasn’t she?” Roseluck tittered.

“Only around people who deserve it,” Sunset said with a smirk, one that got a knowing look from Roseluck in return. Looking around, Sunset noticed the conspicuous absence of her friends. “Where are Lily and Daisy? I thought they’d be with you.”

At the mention of Sunset’s chat-lecti, a slight frown marred Roseluck’s otherwise radiant face and a sigh escaped her throat.

“Sadly, this meeting is council members only, so they had to stay back in Rose’s Blossom,” Roseluck said. “On the plus side, that means we only have to deal with a few dozen pompous twits instead of them and their slime-mold-for-brains families and sycophants.”

“What’s slime-mold?” Sunset asked, her face twisted with confusion.

“They’re these blobs that look like dog-puke that show up in forests in the spring. They’re alive, but pretty much brainless and just exist to eat,” Roseluck said with a smirk.

“Ewww, Roseluck, that’s gross,” Sunset said, before a smirk worked its way onto her face. “And you shouldn’t be insulting the poor slime-molds by comparing them to Heliopolan aristocrats.”

“You’re right. You’re right. I’m sorry. That was rude of me,” Roseluck said with a laugh, Amara’s trilling also sounding like laughter. The laughter proved to be contagious as Sunset found herself joining the archduchess. After a few seconds, they composed themselves, and Roseluck turned to the knights. “Thank you for your service, but I can escort Sunset the rest of the way. You’re free to go.”

Much to Sunset’s surprise, all three individuals that made up the lead knight shook their heads.

“Lady Inkwell asked us to escort you both to the Palace of Lords, Your Highness,” the lead knight said, their voices firm.

Sighing, Roseluck crossed her arms and shook her head.

“Look, I know Raven means well, but this is unnecessary. I’m more than capable of keeping us both safe,” Roseluck said, putting her hands on her hips and tapping a small wooden cylinder clipped to her belt-sash that resembled a hilt with two bud-like protrusions coming from either end. Sunset puzzled at the strange object as Roseluck regarded the lead knight.

“I’m sorry, Your Grace, but our orders come from Lady Inkwell,” the lead knight said. “If you wish, we will hold our perimeter at the greatest distance allowed, but we are not to leave the young archduchess until we’ve reached the Palace of Lords and delivered her to Lady Inkwell’s care.”

Roseluck rolled her eyes and huffed with annoyance as Amara fluffed out her feathers slightly.

“Raven, sometimes you’re too paranoid for your own good,” Roseluck muttered with a shake of her head, then returned her attention to the knights. “Very well. I’d rather not get you in trouble with Lady Inkwell, so please, lead the way.”

“By your leave, Your Highness,” the lead knight said, their feathered serpent member rising into the air and doing a few acrobatic motions while rattling their tail in a set of short pulses. “Shall we be on our way?”

“Yes, let's,” Roseluck said before turning to her younger companion. “Ready to go meet the Council, Sunset?”

“No,” Sunset said with a frown. “But it's not like I’ve got much choice, do I?”

Roseluck’s chuckle managed to prompt a slight smile from Sunset as the archduchess turned to follow the prominence knights.

“Trust me, Sunset, I know the feeling,” Roseluck said with a smile as she patted Sunset’s shoulder and gave it a quick, sororal squeeze.

*****

“So, this is it?” Sunset asked as she looked out the window of the horse-drawn carriage she and Roseluck were riding in, which was surrounded by their prominence knight escort, the plumed serpents in the air while the sun-gazers and colaurata rode in formation around the vehicle on destriers.

“Afraid so. Sunset, welcome to the Palace of Light,” Roseluck said with mocking gravitas as she made an elaborate flourish with her hand that lacked any enthusiasm.

Sunset glared at the building in question as the carriage pulled up to the front gate and came to a stop. It was a moderately sized structure not much larger than the academy she’d stayed in during her training for the rite. The Palace itself was similar in architectural style to the Cathedral of the Sun, though far smaller and lacking in the gold moulding and stained-glass frescos of it’s Core counterpart, instead opting for simple windows and bronze accents. Unlike the cathedral, which stood on its own at the base of Mt. Liakeed, the palace was situated within an enormous garden surrounded by a tall hedge of flowering bushes.

As Sunset regarded the building, she heard Roseluck stand from her seat and exit the carriage. With a sigh, she also stood and followed the archduchess. Stepping out of the vehicle and into the late morning sun, Sunset sauntered up to Roseluck and began to walk side by side with her through a wrought-iron gate and onto the grounds of the palace.

Once through the gate, they were greeted with a massive, elaborate flower garden filled with both marble statues and topiaries amidst the beds. Despite her distaste for the building they were approaching, Sunset found herself admiring the craftsmanship that had gone into forming the garden.

Or at least she was, until she saw the look on Roseluck’s face as she too surveyed the landscaping. The archduchess’s face was marred by a subtle frown, similar to the ones she’d see on Tender Heart when she or one of the other kids did something she didn’t like.

“Roseluck?” Sunset asked, touching the archduchess’s hand.

“Uh, oh, sorry, Sunset,” Roseluck said as she schooled her features and looked down towards the younger girl. “Just thinking.”

“About? You looked annoyed.”

“It’s nothing big, if that’s what you’re worried about,” Roseluck said as she gave Sunset’s shoulder a pat. “I just don’t like the way they maintain the garden. Never have.”

“Why? It looks pretty,” Sunset said.

“It does,” Roseluck admitted. “But, it also feels too… contained. Too sterile. It lacks, for a better word, naturalness.”

Looking down at Sunset, Roseluck’s usual smile returned.

“Don’t worry about it, Sunset. It’s an argument I’ve had with the Council about the grounds for years. Heliopolan and Eastern gardening sensibilities are just different. Nothing more.”

“Alright, if you say so,” Sunset said, though she was unsure if she believed Roseluck’s assurance.

All too soon, they arrived at the palace's front door, the prominence knights spreading out to form a cordon around the entrance as the double-doors slowly swung open. Climbing the short flight of stairs to the doors, Sunset and Roseluck entered the palace, four of the prominence knights, including their commander, following them immediately afterward.

Once through the doors, Sunset found herself in an elaborately decorated foyer. Unlike the cathedral’s entryway, this one was lined from wall to wall with a warm red carpet and was decorated with numerous sitting areas composed of couches and armchairs. Scattered around were also potted plants that Sunset couldn’t identify. And, at the far end of the room near a pair of double doors, stood Raven and Dylis, the former dressed in an ankle-length black dress with matching heeled boots, a white blouse, grey button-up vest and red ascot that matched her glasses, her hands clasped behind her back as she waited.

“Roseluck, Sunset, you made it,” Raven said as she met them halfway up the length of the foyer. “I take it the trip was quiet and uneventful.”

“Yes, Raven, it was boring and quiet. Nothing went wrong,” Roseluck said with a roll of her eyes.

“Good. That’s what I like to hear,” Raven said levelly before turning to the lead prominence knight. “Thank you for your service. You may return to Mt. Liakeed.”

At that, the knights bowed to Raven, turned, and marched out the palace’s entrance. Once the great doors had shut, Raven turned her attention back to her fellow phoenix-born.

“Steel and Spitfire will be arriving shortly, as will the rest of the council,” Raven said in her level, ‘seneschal’ tone. “Why don’t you two go to the council chamber and get comfortable? I’ll be along once everyone else has arrived.”

“Don’t take too long,” Roseluck said with a cheeky grin, “I don’t want to be stuck in a room with Steel and Spitfire without you there to make them behave.”

Sunset giggled at Roseluck’s snarky comment before bringing herself back under control at Raven’s subtle look of disapproval.

“Thank you, Archduchess Roseluck. I appreciate your candor in this matter. Raven said with professional detachment. “Please be on your way.”

And with that, Raven ushered Roseluck and Sunset deeper into the building. Sunset fell in step with the archduchess, whose mischievous smile hadn’t faded even as they left Raven.

Once they were out of earshot, Sunset sighed.

“I almost expected her to agree with you about Steel and Spitfire,” Sunset said. “Didn’t think she’d get mad like that.”

“Oh, trust me, she does. And she wasn’t mad. She just has to play the role of impartial mediator while we’re here,” Roseluck said as Amara trilled in agreement.

“I don’t get why she has to do that,” Sunset said as they walked down the corridor, passing dozens of closed and locked doors along the way.

“Politics, Sunset,” Roseluck said as she petted Amara’s head affectionately. “You’ll get used to it. Even if you never like it.”

“I’m going to go with never,” Sunset grumbled.

A few more minutes of walking later, the three of them arrived at another set of large, double-doors set into the wall of the corridor.

“And here we are,” Roseluck said with obvious disinterest as she pushed the doors open.

Following Roseluck in, Sunset took in the council chambers. At first glance, they resembled a massive amphitheater, with the walls plated in dark-red rosewood panels and the floor covered in the same plush red carpet as the rest of the building. Eleven rows of seats led down towards the base of the room, each one terminating in a desk with a single seat, or in one case, two. At the far end of the room, dead center, was a massive marble statue of Queen Celestia. Before the statue were six thrones, each set behind their own personal desk, the throne in the center the highest, then alternating down from left then right to the lowest. To Sunset’s surprise, the throne immediately to the left of the central one was covered in a white sheet embroidered with a wreath surrounding the image of three purple and three pink fruitdrop candies.

Her eyes tracing up the wall behind the statue, Sunset saw five portraits, each one representing one of the adult phoenix born and their partners, with Raven’s on the left end of the row, and progressing to the right in order of seniority. To the right of Spitfire, there was an empty portrait frame, which she suspected would one day hold her own image. However, between Raven and Steel, there was a portrait she didn’t recognize: a pleasant-looking woman with pale blue skin and red, purple, pink and white living flame. However, what was most distinctive about her were her eyes; rather than normal flesh and blood eyes, she had what appeared to be glittering, cut amethyst crystals in their place. Her bond partner, a similarly pleasant-looking phoenix, was perched on her shoulder.

Sunset’s confusion lasted only a moment, before she realized what, and who, she was looking at. The first Solarian phoenix-born, who had ascended on the day that Heliopolis was founded. Who had aided Raven in its defense before her demise in the Blight War at the tentacles of the Smooze.

“Is that…” Sunset began as she pointed to the woman’s portrait.

“Her name was Sweet Stuff.” Sunset nearly jumped out of her skin as a familiar yet unwelcome voice said from behind, “And she was one of the bravest Solarians I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing.”

Turning around, Sunset spotted both Steel Sentry and Spitfire standing in the doorway, both of them in their military dress uniforms, Vestian and Akari resting on their shoulders.

“It's rude to sneak up on people like that, Steel,” Roseluck admonished, placing her fists on her hips and glaring at the general.

“Then you shouldn’t let yourself be snuck up on,” Steel retorted, before turning his attention to Sunset. “Hello again, little miss, glad to see you in good health. I don’t believe we’ve had the chance to be formally introduced. My name is General Steel Sentry, head of the Solarian military and ruler of the Northern Ray Inciner. And she…”

“…is Commander Spitfire, leader of the skystrikers and ruler of the South-East Ray of Radia ,” Spitfire finished, giving Sunset a hot glare, one mirrored by Akari.

Swallowing the bilious retort she had brewing in her throat, Sunset forced herself to remember that she was in the Council of Light’s chamber. As much as she wanted to spout off any number of insults or barbs at the general and commander, she held her tongue.

“Bright day to you both, General Sentry and Commander Spitfire,” Sunset said as she offered a polite curtesy, her stomach heaving in revolt as she did. “My name is Sunset Shimmer. It is a pleasure to formally be introduced to the both of you.”

“Well, at least she knows how to behave, unlike another certain non-Heliopolan in the room,” Spitfire said as she glared at Roseluck.

“If you have something to say to me, Spitfire, say it to my face,” Roseluck retorted. “Unless you’re afraid to.”

“Oh, I’m not afraid to tell you how I feel, you flower-picking–” Spitfire began as she took a step towards the archduchess.

“Roseluck, Spitfire, do not start this again. Not here,” General Sentry said firmly. As he did, Spitfire stopped her impending tirade while Roseluck shot him an angry glare. “If you insist on flinging insults like children, save it for when we aren’t in the sacred Council chambers.”

“Yes, Sir,” Spitfire said as she stood at attention, her glare still burning into Roseluck, who returned it with equal ferocity.

“So, you knew her?” Sunset asked General Sentry to distract herself from the white-hot glaring contest going on between Roseluck and Spitfire.

“Indeed,” General Sentry said as he walked past Sunset and down the stairs. The other phoenix-born soon followed, though Roseluck made sure to keep herself between the other two and Sunset.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Steel continued. “She was a true Solarian through and through. Loyal to the Queen. Unafraid to stand up for her people in the face of danger. Yet also humble and unsure if she was ever going to be good enough for her position. Such a shame she was lost to us.”

“Didn’t she die in the Blight War?” Sunset asked.

Turning his head to look at her over his shoulder, the tiniest hint of a smirk appeared on General Sentry’s face.

“I’m impressed you're so well read, little miss,” General Sentry said, his voice becoming slightly warmer. “She did indeed. She selflessly volunteered to hold off the Smooze while the sun-blades and I stormed the Volcano of Gloom to end Hydea. She accepted it was a suicide mission, but she knew that if she didn’t buy us enough time, Heliopolis would not be here today. We all owe her a debt of gratitude for what she did for us.”

Sunset regarded General Sentry for a moment, before turning to the painting.

“I guess we do, don’t we,” Sunset said, thinking about what the general had said. Could she have done something like that? Given her life to protect Solaria? Her friends? Her sisters?

“Remember her actions, little miss,” General Sentry said, his voice firm once again. “She had the courage to stand for Queen Celestia, Solaria and Heliopolis. Do you?”

At that, General Sentry walked away and headed towards the thrones. Sunset was about to follow, when she felt a hand grab her shoulder and spin her around. Looking up, she came face to face with Spitfire.

“Listen here, brat,” Spitfire said in a low hiss, causing Sunset’s eyes to go wide with fright. “I don’t know if you understand just how important these proceedings are, but you’d better be on your best behavior while you’re in these chambers. This isn’t some common meeting to discuss the price of pigs being sold at some local market. This is the Council of Light, the highest authority in all of Solaria, and when you’re here, you represent Heliopolis and the Queen. And that means you’re going to be on your best behavior, unless you want to answer to me. Do I make myself clear?”

“Spitfire, let go of her right now!” Roseluck shouted as she grabbed Spitfire’s wrist and pulled it free before using her other hand to gently guide Sunset behind herself protectively. “If you touch her again, I swear…”

“You’ll what, flower-girl? Are you going to throw a bunch of rose petals at me? Or maybe you’ll go crying to Raven and have her give me a talking to,” Spitfire said as she pulled her hand free of Roseluck’s grasp. “The brat needs to know her place. I’m just reminding her of it.”

And with that, Spitfire walked away.

“Deep stone, I want to introduce that pompous hothead to Thorn sometimes,” Roseluck growled as she watched Spitfire leave. “You okay, Sunset?”

“Yea, I think so,” Sunset said as she nodded, instinctively having opened her bond with Philomena to seek comfort.

“I’m sorry you had to deal with that,” Roseluck said as she put a hand on Sunset’s back, ushering her towards what she presumed were their thrones. “Spitfire’s… not the easiest person to get along with. Unless you’re Steel, or one of her skystrikers.”

“Funny that she’s worried about me embarrassing the Council. Sounds to me like she’s more likely to,” Sunset growled as she rubbed her sore shoulder.

“Sadly, she hasn’t yet,” Roseluck sighed. “C’mon, let's get you seated. If those two are here, it shouldn’t be long before the rest of the council shows.”

“Okay,” Sunset grumbled as she followed Roseluck.

Reaching the throne on the lowest tier, Roseluck offered Sunset a hand as she climbed into the chair. The throne was almost comically oversized, and made Sunset feel small in comparison. She supposed that she would eventually grow into it, though that was small comfort given her current predicament.

Just as she was starting to get comfortable, the doors to the chamber swung open and Raven stepped in, followed by dozens of well dressed members of the Solarian nobility. As they filed in, each one gravitated towards a specific seat in the amphitheater rows, with six individuals taking seats at the front-most desks, leaving six of the desks at head of the rows vacant. As her eyes scanned the crowd, Sunset began to recognize many of the faces she’d seen at the phoenix-rite. Yet, she also noticed nearly a dozen or so seats in the rows were empty.

As soon as everyone was seated, Raven floated up to the topmost throne and took a seat. Lifting a rounded stone, she struck it on a sound block, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

“Bright day to all of you. By the power vested in me by Queen Celestia as her seneschal, voice and hand, I hereby declare this meeting of the Council of Light in session.”

Author's Note:

Politics. Yay.

PreviousChapters Next