• Published 28th Oct 2019
  • 1,134 Views, 4 Comments

The Price of Freedom (Mk. 2) - kahnac



Magic is disappearing from Equestria, and only Tirek holds the answers Dusk Shine needs. But is the centaur willing to cooperate? Or will there be a Price for Freedom to be paid to save the world?

  • ...
3
 4
 1,134

Whatever the future holds

A single day had passed since that fateful night.

Reconstruction of the School of Friendship had already been going well enough. Thankfully, Dusk had the benefit of Celestia's personal builders, and unicorn architects to aid in the rebuilding. Discord had offered to rebuild the whole school, even with all of the harmonic magic radiating off of the area lessening his power. Dusk politely declined the offer, keeping his handicap in mind, and telling the draconequus that he'd done more than enough for them - he also didn't fully trust Discord not to make a repeat of his temper tantrum with Starlight Glimmer when she ran the school. Even if he was disappointed, Discord respected his friend's wishes .......though he did promise he'd come by more often for a visit to the school.

At this moment, while construction continued in the midday, Dusk was walking down the halls of his own castle with Celestia, and Chancellor Neighsay at both his sides. The chancellor was alot more pleasant, and for the first time was smiling genuinely in the company of the prince he once considered a rival of sorts. "It is good to know that the School of Friendship has its true headstallion back." But then his smile dimmed as he said, "I only wish such a calamity didn't have to occur in order to see it happen. If only I-"

"You don't have to apologize again, Chancellor Neighsay." Dusk said in a gentle, friendly tone. "You put all of your strength into defending my students against Tirek - ALL of my students." Neighsay caught onto the hint, and his smile returned. "I don't even want to think what might have happened if you, and Discord hadn't risked your well-beings despite your old grievances. You did more than I actually did that night...and for that, you have my eternal thanks."

Neighsay chuckled in good nature. "No need for such things, your highness: It's my duty to protect our youth from the true threats, such as TIrek." He then looked forward, where he saw a familiar gang of teenagers with Spike beside them. "Besides, I owed it to six of your students to do my part. It was the least I could do." The trio soon found themselves standing before The Student Six. All of them feeling a mix of emotions as they saw the three figures. "Here they are, Dusk, just like you asked." Spike said.

"Thank you, Spike." Dusk said to his younger brother. He then asked all of the young six, "Did everyone find their rooms okay?"

"Oh, yes!" Ocellus said happily. "Spike was very nice, and lead us to all the rooms available."

"We got each of our rooms picked out." Smolder added. "Now we're just waiting for whatever's left of our stuff to make it here." She shrugged. "Not that we really had that much stuff to begin with, right?"

"It still strange to be living in new place after Yona so used to School rooms." Yona said with a hint of melancholy, until she proudly said, "But this just remind Yona of Yak way of living: smash, and rebuild! Home from home may be smashed because of evil monster, but now we get to rebuild it better than new! Just need to be patient, and wait while for second home to be ready."

"Fine by me." Gallus admitted, floating in the air with his paws behind his head, and legs crossed, as though he were lying down. "When you live on the streets of Griffonstone all your life, anyplace is a palace in comparison." He then suddenly laughed at the statement he made. "That's funny, cause we're actually LIVING in a palace! Even if it's 'til the school's fixed up."

"It'll be so much fun, too!" Silverstream exclaimed. "I've never even been inside a castle before, much less one that was made of crystal! I bet you there's alot of neat stuff to check out, and explore while we're here!" Sandbar, and the others laughed at how excited, and bubbly the hippogriff was being, before the latter said, "Glad you like it, Silverstream." Before he turned over to his headstallion, and said, "And i'm glad you were willing to do this for them, Prince Dusk Shine. Since i'm the only one of us who lives locally, i'd have a hard time dealing with the fact the others don't have anywhere else to go." he giggled. "If it meant keeping them under a roof, i'd even ask mom and dad if they could live with us as an alternative."

This got everyone to laugh even harder. Both because of how hilarious the scenario appeared in their heads. And because they liked that Sandbar's heart remained in the right place, but his idea might have been a bit..... extreme, given the company he'd be sharing if he actually did what he said. Once they were finally done laughing, Dusk said, "That's very considerate of you, Sandbar, and i'm proud of how willing you are to help out your friends." He turned to the other students, a look of pride beaming out towards them. "Just as i'm proud of all six of you combined. You did more for Equestria than anypony could have asked: and five of you aren't even ponies. Though there's alot to learn about Friendship, the six of you undoubtedly have a greater understanding of it than anypony else might believe." The group appeared humbled, and grateful for their headstallion's praise, and admiration.

It was here Chancellor Neighsay decided to make his peace with the Student Six. "Your Headstallion is right, young ones. You have most certainly shown to have the qualities of what true Friendship is." His tone then became somber. "And for that, you have my deepest apologies. Based on the gossiping, and reports regarding the actions of the few, I judged you six for the terrible reputation each of your races have held at some point. Aside from that reason, I only ever thought friendship was something ponies were meant to have. It never once crossed my mind that other races could share, and learn it as well as you all do. Perhaps there is truly a lesson to be learned of judging others based on where they come from, instead of who they are." Only a few seconds later, and Neighsay felt the hoof of Dusk Shine on his shoulder, giving him a sentimental, and understanding look. "If friendship were easy to learn, we wouldn't have a school for it."

"Indeed so, Prince Dusk Shine." Celestia spoke next, looking to the young six with her gentle, motherly smile. "I always had faith that what my former student intended for the School of Friendship would be a good thing for all of Equestria. And that it would allow those from 'different worlds' to learn that we are not so different from one another. You six have proven that possibility to be true, and I couldn't feel any more proud. You are the pride of your nations, and you will be honored for your bravery, and strength." She lowered her head in a small bow. "The Tree of Harmony chose its champions most wisely."

The six students felt honored on such a level, it was almost impossible to describe. To be given such praise from the highest ruler of Equestria herself felt truly special. Even to those of who did not live in Equestria entirely. It was still an acknowledgement that they appreciated greatly, and caused them to hug each other while laughing happily because of how good he felt. Dusk himself felt happy for his students, truly. But then, he once again remembered what else he had to say. "That being said.....there's....something else I wanted to talk with you all about."

This killed the mood, and got the students a little worried as they broke off their embrace. Even Spike, and the other two ponies were concerned by the tone he was speaking in now. "Dusk," Spike began, "is something wrong? The students aren't in trouble for something, are they?"

"What? No!" Dusk said in an exaggerated manner. "Why would you think that?"

"Well," Spike rubbed his arm awkwardly, "it's just the way you said that, it kinda seemed like......."

"I only wanted to discuss their futures - both with the school, and regarding their standing with The Tree of Harmony they told us about." And at last, it became clear. Inbetween the school's destruction, and today, which was three days total, the young six had explained everything that had happened down in that cave. How by standing against the fear, and prejudice Cozy Glow had been using to turn the other students against them, they stood together as one, sticking up for each other. Then, when they were endangered, the Tree of Harmony itself intervened, and revealed its true essence in the form of Laurana, before her spirit told the six all about the elements, and how their own elements of harmony shined through when they stood up to Cozy Glow, and risked their lives for each other, before bestowing on them the new elements of harmony.

A symbol of the future of harmony in Equestria.

"When I first came to Ponyville, I had no idea what Friendship was really about. I thought it was out of the way nonsense that kept me from focusing on what I thought was important. But then," He turns to his left, "Princess Celestia sent me here to make some friends, and in no time at all I met the five who would become my closest friends. And together, we discovered the Elements of Harmony, and saved Princess Luna from the Darkness that consumed her. Following that, I was given an official task by my teacher: to learn all that I could about Friendship with the friends I made." He turned back to the students. "Many trials appeared, and many challenges came to almost pull us apart. But in the end, we each remembered how valuable we are to each other, and have never let our friendship dwindle in the slightest. And now........"

The group stayed quiet, yet intrigued by Prince Dusk's speech, growing ever more curious about where he was going with this.

"Now something happens that I never once ever considered." He chuckled. "Six individuals who never knew what friendship was about were chosen to learn all that they could about it. And like us, they embodied the elements of Harmony, as me and my friends do. But unlike us, they were six different creatures from six different lands with no business being friends in the first place, became closest of friends in one day, and throughout their time spent together. And now, the Spirit of The Tree of Harmony herself selected them to represent NEW elements of harmony that represent a new generation of heroes." His eyes closed as he chuckled again. Only now it was in a low, quiet voice. Almost melancholic. "I never once imagined that some day, my friends and I would be succeeded as the wielders of harmony, and yet here we are: the six of you, literally bonded to the representation of your friendship. There is so much more to the Tree of Harmony than any of us, including Starswirl and the Pillars realized, and maybe there's more to learn." He then smiled sadly at his students. "But I think it's quite clear that when it comes to Friendship.......you six have learned all that you need to learn, of which I couldn't be more proud."

"Prince Dusk?" Ocellus asked with concern, sensing his confliction, and the emotions pulling him around on the inside. "What are you trying to say?"

Taking a deep, calming breath to compose himself, Dusk said, in a tone no different from a teacher to his students, "What I mean to say is........you no longer have to attend the School of Friendship any longer, if you don't wish to." The group actually gasped in shock. "I know, I know.....but I really believe you've all proven yourselves ready to move on. Just like it might very well soon be time for me, and my friends, to step down from this "Heroes of Harmony" business we were hoof-picked for. The Tree of Harmony chose you as its new guardians, which means it also believes you've proven yourselves to know what Friendship is truly all about. However, I want the choice to be yours, and only yours, since all of you earned this right. Though you can also choose to return to your homes, and share everything you've learned with your races. I have faith all of you can teach your nations so much more than they could ever imagine." For a moment his smile fell. "But bear in mind, this might make some things difficult for you: as the new Element Bearers, it may fall upon the six of you to stand against whatever threat wishes to harm Equestria. The old elements belong to the Tree of Harmony, and are meant to remain there. That much has been proven. But with new elements under your command, you hold the responsibility of protecting our world.

Dusk took another breath as he continued. "But that doesn't mean you have to stay. Your lives are yours to live as you choose to. If you wish to return home, then by all means feel free. But if you want to stay together here in Ponyville, then perhaps we can speak to your parents, and leaders about it." A warmer smile showed up. "Or, if you want, you can continue attending the School of Friendship where you can strengthen your knowledge of friendship, and grow even closer together. Just know that whatever you decide, i'll support each, and every one of you."

After a brief silence, Celestia proudly said, "Well spoken, Prince Dusk Shine."

"Indeed so, your highnesses." Chancellor Neighsay agreed.

Now all that was left was for the student six to decide their own fate. Tough as it was to admit, there was alot to think about based on what their headstallion told them. However, none of them had any idea on what exactly any of them should say for a while. This was a big step being presented to them, and it was certainly an honor worthy of their respective cultures. But as each of them looked to the other, they slowly began to realize one thing: if they DID decide to leave, they would be split up from each other again. Maybe for good. And while for some of them, it wasn't all that bad, for a certain Griffon, it would mean going back to a life that he wanted to escape from all his life. Heck, he sabotaged the Hearth's Warming Eve tree last year just so they wouldn't have to split up.

Griffonstone was no home to him, and never will be.

These fellow creatures, who all had little to no business even knowing each other, had become the only family he's ever known. The School of Friendship has been the only true home he's ever needed. Despite what they've accomplished, he was unwilling to trade that for being a street rat the likes of Grandpa Gruff would pelt stones at for going near his home. Thus he made his decision first.

"Thanks alot for the offer, Headstallion Dusk." Gallus said. "But even if what counts as a Goddess living as a Tree picked us to be her new players, I think there's still plenty more to learn about friendship that we don't know, already. Besides, i'm in no hurry to go back to a place that isn't my home." He gave his friends on both his right, and left a warm, heartfelt look that spoke volumes of how he felt. "If these guys agree with me, then i'll stay." He then smirked jokingly as he chuckled. "Besides, what'll the school do without us?"

Dusk himself chuckled at the remark, and then said, "Very well spoken, Gallus, and I understand." He then turned to the other Students. "Is that what you all want, as well?" Instead of answering, the other student five just ganged up on Gallus in a group hug that he did his best to take part in. All of them smiling, and laughing as they now got the opportunity to stay together a little longer. The sight of which made Dusk smile warmly, as Spike said to him, "Looks like that's a yes." Suddenly, the moment was interrupted by a closet next to them opening up, and revealing the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Much to the shock of everyone present. Applebloom, oblivious to their bewilderment exclaimed, "We held 'er off as long as we could!"

"But she locked us in a broom closet!" Scotaloo also exclaimed, getting a roll of toilet paper off of her hoof.

Just as soon as the bucket was off her head, Sweetie Belle asked frantically, "Where's Cozy Glow?! Is the school okay?! Wha-?!" She then finally noticed their surroundings, and calmed down a little. But was now in a puzzlement. "Is this Prince Dusk Shine's Castle?"

"Uh.....ah think it is." Applebloom answered, feeling the same.

"Huh." Scootaloo remarked. "That's......interesting."

Sandbar's eyes widened in complete horror. "Oh my Celestia! We forgot you guys were still in the school! How-. .......how are you guys okay?!" But a more important question came to mind. "And how did you get in Headstallion Dusk's castle?"

"We don't really know, either." Applebloom answered. "We were stuck in a broom closet after ah guess Cozy figured us out."

"After that, we tried our hardest to get out of there." Scootaloo said next. "We suggested that if the door's locked, maybe Sweetie could unlock it with her magic."

"It was better than just waiting around doing nothing." Sweetie admitted. "I spent at least over an hour trying to unlock the door with my magic, but nothing worked. Suddenly, this red light came in through the window, followed by a white light."

"Next thing we knew, we were stuck in a different place with no idea where we were." Applebloom said.

"But we know now!" Scootaloo said cheerfully.

Dusk hummed to himself in thought, until an idea came to mind for him, and Ocellus. "You don't think it was the Tree of Harmony, do you?" the latter asked. "Maybe it was. If the spirit you called Laurana really is active again, then she might have teleported the ponies who might not have gotten away in time when Tirek struck the school at the same time the magic released." He smiled. "She really has been looking out for us," then turned to the CMC, "and saved your sisters a world of worry before they could start to worry about you."

The three fillies just showed an extremely confused look as Applebloom asked, "What's this about Tirek, and the School?", followed by Sweetie asking, "And what happened to Cozy Glow, anyway?"

Celestia stepped forward, and after giving a knowing glance to Dusk in regards to a conversation they had before this moment regarding the filly in question. "I can tell you right now that for the time being, she is being sent where she can cause no more trouble."

"At least until we can maybe get her the help she needs to break away from Tirek's corruption. I also made a promise to the creatures locked up in there," a brief look of guilt crossed Celestia's muzzle, "that i'd follow Fluttershy's example, and sanction a home for them where they can be safe, and cared for - and away from other ponies they could easily hurt. And i'll see it done, someday." He said confidently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down in the dimly lit depths of Tartarus, Cerberus sat all alone, sulking next to the shattered remains of the cage that had once housed an evil force too dangerous to ever be released. And yet through craft, and intimidation, that evil force had coerced them into giving him the essence of every, living creature in Tartarus in order for them all to escape. The plan worked all too well, and now Cerberus' most dangerous charge was gone. All three heads worried at how badly they might end up being punished for what happened. The same inmate who had escaped two years ago had once again escaped his confinement - and on the three-headed hounds watch this time. Worse was that he had been reduced to a diminutive state by the very centaur he guarded, and couldn't stop him from escaping. He shouldn't have even been able to escape in the first place. But now he was free again, and Cerberus was left alone with the other imprisoned creatures of magic.

And needless to say, while he was grateful to be himself again, as his pony friends promised, he began to see just how boring things were going to be.

But then the 3 headed hound received a surprise in the form of Princess Luna, emerging from the ever familiar blue portal generated by Chancellor Neighsay, with an escort of pegasus guards. The heads couldn't see at first, but could hear the sound of a cage being locked, before the adult ponies moved out of the way, and into the portal. To the hounds shock, Tartarus had just been delivered a prisoner. Only it wasn't the one who had escaped previously.

It was a pegasus filly with bright pink fur, aqua blue curly hair, with adorable freckles on her face to compliment the little bow in her mane.

"Hey there, doggy!" Cozy Glow said in her insincere, syrupy sweet-laced voice she always used as she grabbed the bars of her cage to face the gigantic beast. "Wanna be friends?" she asked, with an undertone of sinister intent, as her own expression turned to that of a scheming villain already plotting something. The dog/s had absolutely no idea if they should be alarmed, or not, but it wasn't as if they could do anything about it. If this was who they were to guard now, then that's all there is to it. No reason to change that, as far as Cerberus was concerned.

And yet, it appeared that change was about to arrive sooner than imagined when a new portal emerged. This one, opposite of the one that gave Luna passage, was fiery red. A ring of demonic flame that appeared right in front of Cozy Glow's cage. The filly, for a moment, grew nervous at this unexpected development. But she also felt curiosity at what this was that she was being witness to. When she saw the figure who emerged, she now wished that she didn't feel that was. Even Cerberus grew on edge at the familiar visage of the familiar-looking centaur who had just appeared. Dark fur on the horse-half of the body, bright red skin of muscular distinction, an onyx suit of armor with a cloak split triangular up the middle, and the devilishly horned head of a white-haired, yellow eyed centaur was all the proof either needed.

Lord Tirek had returned to Tartarus.

Cerberus didn't care how he got here, or why he was here. All three heads growled, and snarled in agreement over one fact: he was an escaped prisoner, and needed to be dealt with severely. With a roar, the giant beast jumped at the smaller centaur, fully intent on crushing, and then eviscerating him. Yet before he could even reach him, Cerberus felt an aura of magic envelop his body, and make him lighter than a feather. With a vicious smirk, Tirek was holding the 3 headed dog in his grasp. And with a grunt of maximum effort, he spun in a full circle with Cerberus in his grasp, and then hurled him into the stone wall overlooking the chasm behind the humongous pillar the centaur, and pony stood on. The hound was temporarily stuck in the impression his massive body made, and even stunned from the force of the blow. But as soon as his sense returned, all heads yelped in panic as they jolted.

A big mistake.

With that single motion, the guardian of Tartarus howled in fear as he plummeted into the dark, and mysterious depths of the immense prison realm. No living being actually knew what was down in that frightening abyss of Darkness, to be sure. Some believed it was a direct route to the bowels of the planet, itself. Others even thought it was an actual passageway to a realm realm where evil forces beyond imagination dwelt. A den of demonic entities ready to rip asunder the souls of any, and all who came into their dominion. Noone could ever know for sure. Well.....none except Cerberus, who was now taking a deep dive into the abyss. A boisterous laugh escaped from Tirek as he listened to the fading howls of his captor. Much to the disturbance of his filly audience, who was stunned by the swift brutality of what her 'mentor' had just done. But finally, Tirek caught his breath, and triumphantly said, "Ah, how i dreamed of doing that to the overgrown fleabag! After eons of his endless, threatening growls, intentional shedding of fur into my cage, and.....things i am in no mood to recall, revenge goes sweetly with irony, don't you agree, my little pony?"

"Uh......i-irony?"

"Since this domain was first created, Cerberus had been entrusted to be its eternal guardian. Yet despite his long track-record of holding others prisoner here, the overgrown mutt failed in his duty - twice!" Tirek then grinned in amusement. "The irony here is that the one, true resident of this domain, whose reign as warden has run its course, is now more suitable to be a prisoner himself - in the Abyss of Charybdis, where no soul ever escapes. A fitting end for a witless beast." Suddenly, TIrek's horns ignited his magic in the center, and Cozy's cage was elevated until the two were at eye level. His features now stern, and expressionless as the two met face to face. "Now that the ingrate is out of the picture.......let's get down to business."

Cozy was now shaking with absolute fright as she took in the situation she was in. Completely at the mercy of the wicked demon who only used her as a means of obtaining revenge against Equestria, and with no way to protect herself. Tirek's huge hands began reaching up to her, and her eyes completely shut in fear. Little wings shielding her from the inevitability of whatever horrible fate the centaur wanted to inflict upon her now. She hear, and felt the cage bars bending like foil, and knew her time was up. Or so she thought, until she could feel old strength returning to her that she had not felt in hours. Her wings felt renewed strength, her coat brightened, and to her surprise, her rook cutie mark returned to her. All the while, her entire cage melted in her mentor's hands, just as she took to the air. The feeling of her abilities returning - her own flight, and her cunning intellect - were reclaimed, and she was giggling, and laughing in excitement as she flew around in circles around the smiling centaur, whose arms were held behind his back. After a minute of her moving, he called out, "How are you feeling?"

"Oh, golly-gee!" Cozy exclaimed happily. "I feel a million times better than all the bits in the world! I'm never taking my smarts, OR my wings for granted after this!" But then, her excitement turned to confusion as she lowered to match Tirek's eye-level. "But.......I don't get it: why did you give me my essence back? Don't get me wrong, cause i'm really grateful you did make me my cute, and lovable self again. But you're the one who put me in that state," he tone then turned to one of restrained anger, "AFTER trying to do me in before you were stopped, and who said I contributed nothing to you. So what's your angle, TIrek?"

Tirek's expression turned to annoyance as he said, "It is LORD Tirek to you, filly. And it appears you have yet to learn the finer details of manipulation." When Cozy demanded to know what he meant, he explained in full detail. "Alright. Allow me to explain in simple detail: all that has happened ever since I contacted you had occurred according to MY design. Our continued communication only ensure all turned to the exact results I desired."

"What do you mean?" Cozy asked. "Wasn't the idea to actually leave Equestria weakened? And weren't you angry about my plans for getting rid of Equestria's magic?"

"And I am angry about your treacherous change of plans." TIrek briefly glared, before he smirked while stroking his beard. "But I will admit myself impressed at your ability to improvise - and your desire to ensure no competition could stand in opposition of you. Even your own mentor, who taught you all the means of casting the Mystical Conjunction spell." Cozy chuckled nervously, with a bit of appreciation, before Tirek continued. "But the thing is, Cozy Glow: heroes always arise to defend all that is good in this world. And even with Dusk, and his dear friends imprisoned with me, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone else prevented your plan from succeeding. In a world where good always seems to triumph over evil, no matter how strong and clever it is, I already anticipated your plan to fail."

Cozy huffed, and pouted in indignation as her front hooves crossed together. "Aren't teacher's supposed to have faith in their student's, or something?"

"Ah, but you misunderstand, my dear pupil: you performed your role most excellently!" Tirek said with pride, with his hands clapping together. Cozy, however, was even more confused than before. "What in the hay does THAT mean?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Tirek's brow raised. "The plan was never to trap Dusk Shine, and his friends in Tartarus, nor crippled Equestria permanently." His eyes narrowed, and made Cozy draw back in fright. "You forgot that the magic of this world is MINE! And MINE, alone! Hence my genuine anger towards your ridiculous plan." Cozy smiled nervously while she sweat profusely. Only making Tirek sigh in annoyance, before continuing. "The end goal was the simplest of all: to ensure I escaped from this accursed domain once again. After your update on your 'project', and your fear of the prince discovering it, I knew I could use it to my advantage by suggesting that you send them to me. Thanks to your little 'gift' to me," Tirek indicated to his armor, " any attempts on their end to intimidate me into simply aiding them were made utterly useless." A malicious grin appeared. "And allowed me to force his majesty into making the Unbreakable Oath with me in order to gain my help. All it took was for my threatening the life of that worthless pet he holds so dear." He rechts in disgust. "That a worthless thing as a dragon would be considered family, or treated as though it were sapient, and deserving of compassion - disgusting.,"

Cozy hovered in the air, impressed by the complexity of her mentor's plan. "And they just agreed to it? They couldn't actually be that dumb, could they?"

Tirek chuckled in amusement, "No......not entirely, anyway. One added term was that of a sort of truce: so long as I do not harm a single hair on the head of any pony for a certain period of time, they cannot make any attempts to confront, and imprison me. I fulfilled my end of the bargain after handing you over to them. Technically, Dusk Shine fulfilled his own end of the deal we made." He smirked. "But the part of the contract regarding my freedom remains, and so does our oath. The contract cannot be completed unless Dusk remains true to his word."

"And how long does he have to leave you alone for?"

Tirek then gave the filly a frightening grin of amusement as he said, "Who in the nine realms of hades ever said I set a time limit for that?"

Cozy Glow was left in hysterics after hearing that. So much so, she was actually coming into tears, and nearly fell down. Even got into a brief coughing fit in the midst of her laughter, before she finally got a hold of herself, and began wiping the tears from her eyes. "THAT is priceless! Does he even know about it?"

"He was in too great a panic from the magical deadline concerning Equestria's magic to even bother reading the fine print." Tirek chuckled in villainous delight. "Not that he could understand the writing, given it's in an older Netherland dialect undoubtedly older than the Kingdom itself is now. Either way, it all came down to my ultimate victory: my freedom."

"Which I guess Dusk Shine, and his nimby friends could consider the price for their freedom." Cozy pointed out. She then grew nervous as she thought about asking something she wasn't sure about. With Tirek's confession, her opinion of him changed immensely, and now she wanted to learn everything she could from the ancient centaur. "So......a-am I still your friend, Tirek?" A glare, and growl were her only answer, until she caught onto her mistake. "Sorry, sorry! LORD Tirek!"

Tirek huffed, "You are still my little protege', Cozy. That is all there is to it." Then, Tirek's features hardened in deep thought. "But it IS now clear that individually, we are no match for the ponies, and their allies. Allies who are now the successors of Dusk Shine, and his friends to The Tree of Harmony." he growled in frustration at the memory of his defeat. "Six inferior creatures from different cultures, and somehow they obtain the mantle of wielding The Rainbow of Light? A ridiculous notion, to be certain."

"Oh, that reminds me!" Cozy perked up. "How did you stand up to that Rainbow Blast without getting sent to the moon, or turned to stone, or whatever The Rainbow of Light's supposed to do? I always thought nopony evil could resist it. Was the armor I made for you that good?"

"Only enough to protect me from its full effects, Cozy Glow." TIrek sighed. "Then again, I had the aid of.....darker powers aiding me, and all I lost was a paltry amount of magic from a pack of worthless beasts. A small price to pay," he then pulled out two objects from beneath his chest plate: one, a crystal shard glowing with a rainbow of colors, and the other? Most shockingly was a crystalized version of the severed horn of King Sombra, the Shadow King. "Wouldn't you agree, old friend?" The Crystal hummed, and glowed with an eerie red light. To Cozy's curiosity, it was a telepathic communication that was going on between Tirek, and what she surmised was whatever now spoke through the crystal dagger of a horn. Who it was that spoke, she had no idea. But whatever it was saying to Tirek as he placed the rainbow shard under his armor while leaving the horn around his neck, he came to a single conclusion. "Either way, it appears the previous night has proven that you had the right idea in obtaining allies, Cozy. If we are to overcome Prince Dusk Shine, and those closest to him...............we must begin searching for others who are of a like-minded persuasion, and also wish to see him brought to his knees in defeat, and all of Equestria at our mercy.

"Oh, goody!" Cozy exclaimed, laughing with equal parts joy, and equal parts malice. "That means we get to look for more friends to join us! You can trust me when I say friendship IS power, Lord Tirek! And once we make the majority of equestria into our friends, we can make ourselves the undisputed Rulers of Friendship, and surpass Prince Dusk Shine! Then use our growing army of friends to overthrow the Princesses, and make us the true rulers of Equestria!" Amidst Cozy's cheerful laughter, Tirek's eyes began glowing with his rising anger, until it finally burst.

"SILENCE!" he roared, smashing one of the stone spikes surrounding the summit, and making Cozy draw back in fear. Tirek then began forcing her back down the stairwell by walking towards her in a threatening manner. All while he said, "I didn't recruit you for such entry-level wickedness. You truly have so much to learn, my dear."

🎵Now I know you've been malicious
Spiteful and a trifle vicious
It's no secret that you cheated and you've lied
And you've done some double dealing
Scheming, swindling, and stealing
You're an amateur, but heaven knows, you've tried🎵

"I answered your call, didn't I? Money, power, stature?
Only an idiot would ignore such a sweet deal."

"Good foal. And very soon you're efforts will be rewarded." Tirek said, looming above her, while his body peeked out of a new portal. One which he proceeded to drag Cozy through, into an underground, cavernous network that seemed to resemble the crystal-like caves beneath Canterlot. As he went on, Cozy found herself more afraid of Tirek than she thought, and almost began second guessing joining him. Keyword being almost.

🎵You'll develop so much faster
Now you're working with a master
Who will help you cultivate your darker side
You'll discover wicked ways you've never known before
And you'll find that when you're really rotten to the core...

It feels so good to be bad
So delicious to be a despicable cad
It's just so thrilling and so fulfilling
To give somebody the worst time they've ever had
It feels so good to be bad🎵

"Case in point:" Tirek says, showing a bubbled projection of Dusk, reeling in agony as a dark force threatens to throttle him dead - much to TIrek's cruel delight.

🎵Shiney doesn't know it, but he's in my power!
He's gonna wish that he was never born!
I promise you that in his final hour
All he loves, he'll be made to mourn!🎵

"Say, uh.....why can't I try and get rid of him, again?" Cozy asked, earning a brief, dead-panned look from her mentor.

🎵Cause you had your chance and you blew it
I entrusted you to do it
But you BUNGLED it, and threw your chance away
It's a problem you created
If my plans end up mitigated
I'm not naming names, BUT SOMEONE HAS TO PAY!🎵

"Aaaaagh! I really could try again, boss! Honest I could!" Cozy screamed. Terrified of Tirek's unrelenting fury, and demonic killing intent. Tirek, however, rolled his eyes at her insistence, and said, "You'll never get the chance. Now, at this point, Cozy Glow is another in a long line of villainous foes."

"But I'm just a filly!" Cozy hastily said, with a not-so-convincing smile, which only made Tirek grin with glee. "Not anymore! You work for me, now!"

🎵Though you gave me cause to doubt you
There's a loathsomeness about you
That attracts me to you as a protégé
And when you've learned every creepy crummy thing I know
You'll taste the joy that comes when you're the lowest of the low!

He then began turning the entire cavern they soon entered into a raging inferno. With every stomp of his hooves, and wave of his hands, pillars of rock uprooted, and spires of flames erupted. All the while, he engaged little Cozy Glow in a devilish tango amidst the dark chaos that made the scene like something out of Tartarus, itself.

It feels so good to be bad
So delightful to be a deplorable cad
It's so appealing to have the feeling
That what you're doing gets trouble brewing
And drives everybody mad!

At one point, he dropped her on the ground. The impact dazed her for a moment, and only for a moment. She was quickly able to lean back up to face Lord Tirek. Just in time for him to dramatically swing his arms upwards, and then bend towards her. Predatory teeth flashing, and his towering form looming over her like a monolith of evil as flames flared from out of his eyes. He quickly picked her up again to finish the self-made tango.

You've got my guarantee
It feels so good to be bad🎵

Cozy kept exclaiming in Tirek's grasp, as he little body wasn't used to being moved around so roughly. Yet she found it somewhat entertaining after a few moments. Like she was on some kind of ride in an epic amusement park. WIth Tirek, all the while, laughing in sheer delight as he took such enjoyment in his theatrical moment. "So exciting!" He delightfully shouted, tossing Cozy once again, but in a more rehearsed manner that allowed her to flip into the air, and land on her own hooves in a stylized manner. "Olé, so inviting!"

🎵So good to be bad!🎵

The pair began to reach their climax, as they both danced to the invisible rhythm, back out through the portal leading into the outside world of Equestria. The ponies of Equestria muat now beware. For on this day, the beginning of the end of their reign of friendship was ending. Evil will unite, Darkness will stand together, and bring an end to the era of Harmony. Lord Tirek, and the Legion of Doom that will emerge will prevail!

"Bah-ha!"

The end.

Author's Note:

In all honesty, I definitely like how I did the acknowledgement of the Student Six's heroics.

It honestly annoyed me how their actions seemed to be blown off like that. Sure, yeah, they were a bit hasty with their plans for graduation. But it didn't actually seem as though they would be recognized for their heroics. And the possibility they might be successors to the mane six regarding the Elements of Harmony. The concept of how the tree's power evolves as she grows - why shouldn't the power of the Elements evolve, as well?

That changes in this chapter, however.

Given the damage inflicted on the School, and the fact the Student Six don't actually live anywhere else in Equestria, it kinda made sense to let them stay at the Friendship Castle until the School's fixed. Oh, and also: I have a theory that the energy produced by the power of Harmony is kind of a dampener of Discord's powers. The Rainbow of Light turns him to stone, I imagine its residual presence in an area can also weaken his chaos magic a bit. Half the reason he didn't just snap, and rebuild the school.

What's more, Dusk Shine acknowledges what the Student Six has done, what their new roles ultimately may be, and offers them a choice that he makes based on his instincts telling him it's right: to go home, and take what they've learned back to their nations, or continue their studies at the school and stick together. I mean, they're pretty much prodigies in Friendship, so it makes sense they have the right to graduate early. But I think we can all agree that none of them are ready to split up again. Especially not now, when they've been chosen as Guardians of Harmony. So they all decide to resume their studies, and stay together....as I probably would.

And also, a hilarious and convenient way to fill in the plot hole regarding the CMC.

To finish off, we get to have a reveal of Tirek's true plan through Cozy Glow, and how he intends to move forward now that he's had a taste of the Student Six, and their power. He's holding all his cards to himself, and after giving a pepsong in the form of "It feels so good to be bad" from All Dogs Go To Heaven 2 (RIP George Hearn), we now prepare for the beginning of the end.

Comments ( 2 )

PLEASE say that Cerberus will be seen again and rescued from that horrible pit! I like him too much for him to be sentences to such a horrible fate!!!😭

10222414
Who knows? Even I never thought of what the abyss in Tartarus actually is, and makes me think it could possibly lead anywhere. LT didn't care, and just wanted the mangy three headed mongrel to pay for his eternity of imprisonment. We MAY see the hound again.........but if we do, there's no guarantee it'll be the same Cerberus we know, the realm he falls into pending.

My theory, though? That darkness leads to the TRUE Hell aka The Netherrealm aka The Realm of Darkness. The living world of all the dark things imaginable and unimaginable, where hope goes to die, harmony has no sway, and light can never truly touch. The Equestrian Tartarus is nothing but a giant cave with a magic gate that's pretty much a prison. It's what lay BENEATH Tartarus, in the abyss below, that people should wonder about, and potentially fear.

Login or register to comment