• Published 28th Oct 2019
  • 1,134 Views, 4 Comments

The Price of Freedom (Mk. 2) - kahnac



Magic is disappearing from Equestria, and only Tirek holds the answers Dusk Shine needs. But is the centaur willing to cooperate? Or will there be a Price for Freedom to be paid to save the world?

  • ...
3
 4
 1,134

Settling the Score

As the heroes of Equestria watched the dying light of the sun, following Dusk's declaration, all they could think of was what Applejack asked him next. "Dusk, wha-.....what're we gonna do now?" Dusk was lost in thought when he heard his friend's question. If anything, because that's what he himself was wondering the same thing. Before he could answer, booming footsteps began moving past them, as they saw Lord Tirek move past them. "Whatever you decide, that remains your problem." He said. "As I recall, I still have a contract to fulfill...." he suddenly smirked, "and perhaps acquire a simple taste of revenge at the same time."

"What're y'all talkin' about, Tirek?" AJ asked in a defensive tone.

His backwards glance was filed with malicious glee as he said, "Let us simply say that it will be a terrible time to be in school today on account of..........explosive arsonry."

Dusks eyes widened in horror, then turned to anger as he understood exactly what Tirek was implying. "You will leave my school, and my students alone, TIrek! We had a deal!" The centaur merely chuckled. "Indeed we do, your highness. Under the Unbreakable Oath, I cannot directly harm with intent to kill any pony on a whim............but accidents always happen. And you'd be surprised what you can live through." He then dramatically flared his cloak, and continued stomping down the path."You took my power after I took your treehouse - now it's time for history to repeat itself in a new fashion. Only with a differing outcome this time." However, a certain dragon wouldn't have it. "Don't even think about it!" He then charged through the air, and shot fire into the face of the centaur, as he turned around to see the source of the voice talking to him. He growled in pain from the flame's heat getting into his eyes, and began swatting at the purple and green dragon.

This knocked the others out of their stupor, and spurred them into action. "Magic or no, we can't let Tirek get to the school! Come on, girls!" The others cried in agreement, and charged at the centaur. Kicking at him from either the air, or at his legs, the ponies did what they could to hold him off. Stunning the malicious centaur whose sight had begun to return. "You ingrates would dare attack me? Even when you have no magic?" He shot a beam at Fluttershy, who was trying to throw a large rock at his head, and then smacking aside Rainbow Dash with superior speed. "When will any of you infidels understand your rightful place, and stay there!" He then punched the ground with a tremendous shockwave that sent the ground-based ponies flying backwards. Only Spike, and Dusk remained, with the former actually wrapping his legs around Tirek's broad neck, fully intent on strangling him if he had to. "YOu're the one who doesn't understand, Tirek! Magic isn't what make us special! It's the determination, and strength to stand against monsters like you, and protect those who can't protect themselves! And so long as any of us breathe, and no matter how many of us fall, I guarantee that you WILL be stopped!"

"PATHETIC!" Tirek roared, before his body ignited into flames, and burned Dusk off of him. Just as he got only a few inches backwards, Tirek grabbed him by his hind leg, and slammed him three times into the ground before throwing him into his friends, who had recovered and gathered back together. Seeing his older brother hurt like that only angered Spike further, causing his bodies dorsal spines to suddenly glow with jade light. Then, much to the shock of everyone, he fired a stream of green flame that concentrated into a beam of green energy. Tirek actually had to hold his arms up to his face to defend against the attack that pushed him eight feet backwards. "Whoa!" Rainbow exclaimed in excitement. "Spike just got 20 x 20% cooler!"

"Even though he's "smoking hot"?" Pinkie quipped.

"Pinkie, not now!" AJ remarked.

Sadly, Spike finally got tired, and his attack soon cut off for him to catch his breath. He even lowered a few inches toward the ground in his struggle to stay aloft. Taking advantage of this opportunity, Tirek charged the little dragon, and snagged him by the neck. Much to Dusk Shine's horror. "Spike, no!" He cried out, moving to try and help him. Once again, Tirek held him in his grasp in a threatening manner. This time, with his entire hand forming an energy blade of his own dark magic. He maliciously grinned as he raised up the young drake, and mocked, "An impressive display of power that still pales in the face of TRUE power, brat! In the end, you just can't help but be the damsel in distress, can you? Or, should I say, companion animal in distress." He then allowed his laughter to bellow out once again, as he glared at the ponies who remained unsure of what to do. All the while, Tirek kept his blade well near Spike's body, which Dusk reacted to by shouting, "If you hurt him, I swear to Celestia, i'll-"

"Hold your tongue, and keep at bay like a good prince who cares for his pets." Tirek ordered, making Dusk growl in anger. "And if any of you so much as make a pebble roll, the head of your little friend here WILL. I cannot directly kill, but if i am startled, my hand......might....just .....slip. Right over his shoulders."

"You wouldn't!" Fluttershy pleaded with teary eyes.

"That depends on all of you. Will you be as stupid as this welp? Are you going to test me?" The centaur darkly threatened in a tone that unnerved the ponies and strengthened their uncertainty, and fear for Spike's life.

"Maybe they don't have to!" Spoke a voice from out of nowhere, before a bolt of lightning struck Tirek in the back, and almost made him loosen his grip on Spike. He looked to his smoking back in a snarl, and yelled, "Who dares?!" Then, in a bright, white flash appeared a familiar, yet somewhat ragged figure the ponies were delighted to see - Fluttershy especially. "Discord! You came for us!"

"How could I not, dear Fluttershy?" Discord said. "You missing our afternoon tea was cause enough for worry. But add that to my awe-inspiring, phenomenally chaotic powers poofing away bit by bit, and you decide to go sniffing around." He turned into a bloodhound version of himself. Whiffing the air, he said, "Imagine my surprise when I caught the scent of familiar magic out, and about. My gut told me it had something to do with you girls - and boys." He poofed back to normal. "And since my gut belongs to the Lord of Chaos that is me, and i'm always right, I followed it all the way here to this dreary place." He looked around, shivering as his body turned blue, and got covered in frost. "Gives me the creeps, this place does. I'd much rather have to deal with the cramps getting stoned gives you than have to be locked up in he-WHOA!" Discord yelped before raising his right paw to create a shield that reflected Tirek's magic beam into the side of a cliff.

"Discord." TIrek huffed. "I should have known you'd come. It's no wonder you're now good friends with the dragon brat here: good dogs always follow their masters trail, and stand up for them at their own personal risk."

Discord made a huffing sound of his own as he said, "Oh, yes, real original. Dog jokes after i just turned into one. Really, Tirek, as much as I enjoyed our time together before I realized how deranged you are, you really are quite lacking in humor."

"Ohohoho, no, no, no, old friend." Tirek said coyly as he smiled. "I haven't lost my sense of humor!" He then fired another beam of magic - but this was aimed at the rocks above the group. As seemingly the only one with magic left, Discord willed the rockslide to halt into place, though he strained to do so. And then he hurled it away, before glaring at the smiling centaur. "See? I find THAT extremely funny." he said before deeply chuckling.

"Well, you won't be laughing when I do what I should've done when we first met." Discord said, as he formed a magical bolt in his hand. "In fact, you'll be pretty shocked when I put you back in the slammer, myself!" And hurled that bolt straight at Tirek. The latter raised his arm guard, and the bolt reflected off of his armor. In fact, the party noticed how some of the magic seemed to seep into the armor with a purple, and green hue. Growling, DIscord tried calling down several bolts of magic lightning to take down the centaur so that he could get Spike away from him. Tirek's smile never left as a forcefield of his own magic defended against the attack. Much to the horror of the ponies, and spirit of chaos standing before them. Once his field was lowered, Tirek decided to pour salt over the prideful draconequus' wounds by pointing out the obvious. "Clearly Cozy Glow's spell affects you like any other creature in Equestria, Discord. Had that been you at your best, even my armor might have had difficulty withholding, and absorbing so much destructive power." He then sees Discord wobbling where he stood. "You can barely even stand. It's exactly as I told you before: friendship is another form of imprisonment that drives you to suicidal tendencies. If you were truly smart, you would have stayed away where I could never find you."

"Ah, but that's just it, you muscle-bound cretin!" Discord defended, conjuring as much magic as he could for an offensive strike. "I have the wit to know my friends are worth risking my own existence for. What kind of friend would I be if I abandoned them to such a fate again?"

Tirek's smile wiped off, and he appeared unimpressed as he spoke. "First of all, if you wish to insult, at least pronounce 'cretin' correctly. Secondly, as much as I would enjoy teaching you your place, I still have a school to attend to." He turned his back on the group. "And your little friend-pet will get a front-row seat of it's destruction!" he shouted as he began running at incredible speeds. "Tirek! Stop!" Discord tried to lasso his arm in invisible string, but he snapped them like nothing. "No!" Both the chaos spirit, and Dusk shouted. As Tirek ran, they could hear over the centaur's triumphant laughter, "Don't worry, bro! Get back to the school! Save the students!" before Spike was carried off by the demonic warmonger in a tremendous leap that ascended above the rocks, and mountains standing between them, and the rest of Equestria.

"Oh, dear!" Rarity exclaimed fearfully. "The students, and Starlight are doomed if we don't stop Tirek!"

"Well, we can't just sit around here talking about it!" Dash exclaimed. "Let's get moving!"

"An' how do y'all expect us ts outrun THAT?" Applejack questioned. "By the time we get past the moun'n range, Tirek'll already be at the school!"

"So we just sit here, and let him get his way?!" Rainbow shouted.

"Course not! What we need's ta figure out how we're gonna get to the school before he does."

"Guys, hang on a minute!" Pinkie exclaimed, earning everyponies attention. "We've already got the answer right here!" She then pointed to the answer standing literally among them the whole time: Discord. This renewed the ponies hope, and Fluttsehy asked, "Can you get us back to the school, Discord?"

Discord made sounds of uncertainty before finally saying, hesitantly, "Yes.......but Tirek was right about my weakening strength. Whatever's been going on has left me at considerably less than my perfect self. The best I could manage is a number of teleports for a single group, including myself."

"How many we talkin'?" AJ asked.

"Five. Maybe Six at best, but......in my current condition, it's the best I can actually do. And even I can see you're out of all other options, so........." he let the indication hang in the air, and all turned to their alicorn friend to see what he thought. After a thoughtful expression, he grew a face of determination as he gathered together with the others. "Then it's what we'll do to keep our students safe.......and save Spike. So let's go!"

"Alright, everypony!" Discord exclaimed "Remember to keep your hooves, and tails inside the group at all times. And if you all feel a tingling in your gums...........iiiiit's only partly my fault given my condition. Now hold on, and here....we....GO!" With twin snaps, the group disappeared in a flash of light. The race to the school of friendship was on, and it was up to fate on who would win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All the while, Cozy had gathered all of the students around the Student Six, and her parasitic vortex circle, with Starlight still trapped in the orb of equestria's collective magic. And unfortunately, it appeared the ponies would only to whatever the crown-wearing filly was saying. "Golly gee! I never imagined Chancellor Neighsay could be right about you creatures! But it looks like all my suspicions thanks to his prejudice were right: you monsters are responsible for everything that's been going on - including Headstallion Dusk Shine's disappearance, aren't you?"

Gallus grew tired of Cozy's fake sweet act, and flew up to her saying, "Who are you calling monsters, you little goblin? YOU'RE the one whose been sucking up all of Equestria's magic, and got Miss Glimmer trapped in that magic orb!" Cozy pretended to whimper in fright as she said, "M-me? But we're the ones who saw all of YOU with your filthy claws all over those artifacts! Don't you see?" Cozy asked the students. "These creatures are jealous of how much more important, and how much more special equestria is because of our magic! So they worked together with that traitor, Sandbar, to set all of this up!" She pointed at the trapped unicorn, who was desperately shaking her head to every word Cozy spoke, trying to get the younger ponies to not believe her lies to no avail. "Counselor Starlight must have caught them in the act, but got caught herself before she could warn anypony of this evil plot! All of this because ponies have the one thing their kind doesn't have: magic!"

"Uh, actually, changelings shapeshifting is a magical ability." Ocellus corrected.

"Yeah, so does the pearl medallion that lets me go from sea pony to hippogriff." Silverstream added.

"Besides!" Yona said loudly, and with firm confidence. "Headstallion Dusk Shine say Friendship IS Magic!"

"And in return you sent him, and his six friends on a wild goose chase to Tartarus?!" Cozy cried in false distress. "You take everything he's ever taught you, and use it for your own gain? Oh, golly! I can hardly believe just how awful you six are!"

"Shut up!" Sandbar angrily shouted. "Just shut up, you evil witch! You don't get to call my friends any of that, OR accuse them of doing anything like what you've done!" He looks back at them with the most confident, and reassuring expression that warmed his friends heart. "They are the smartest, kindest, bravest, most loyal friends a pony could ask for, and they would never betray our trust like you suggest!" He then tries pleading to the other ponies. "Please, listen to me! Cozy doesn't care about any of you, or us, or even our teachers! All she cares about is using friendship to control Equestria! Without magic, she'll find a way to take control, and use us to do her bidding! Remember the lessons our Headstallion taught us about Friendship! Look inside your hearts, and listen to what they're telling you! This is wrong, and you know it!"

There were actual whispers among the students. Sandbar's words struck a cord with many of them, and it made them begin to doubt the mindset Cozy Glow had set them into. And for a moment, the student six, and Starlight, truly thought they might have actually gotten through, and made the students see reason. But when the malicious filly saw the uncertainty in them, and the doubt directed at her, she decided to play another trick. "Oh, my goodness! I knew those creatures were able to conjure up this magical contraption.......but I never actually thought they'd go so far as to bewitch the only pony in their group who was their first friend!" This got the student six worried, and the rest of the ponies confused until the filly elaborated. "Unless we've forgotten: changelings not only used to feed on the love of others, but also take control of the minds of their victims! Queen Chrysalis did the same thing to Prince Shining Armor during his wedding! Maybe that changeling fiend did the same to poor Sandbar!" She said in an insincerely sorrowful tone, which sadly seemed to convince the students, and get them back on her side.

"That's a lie!" Ocellus cried out. "Changelings can't control others anymore, and even if I could, I would NEVER do that to someone! If Chrysalis couldn't make me, nopony or creature ever will!"

"Enough, already!" Cozy snapped, finally getting tired of the endless debate. "They're just stalling for time until that spell finishes! We have to stop them now before they destroy our beloved school, and take away our magic forever! Are we gonna let that happen?!" The ponies cried in protest, and charged the student six. All the while, Cozy hovered in the air with a triumphant smile on her face. Seeing the oncoming herd, Sandbar tried to block their path. "No! Stop! Please, just listen!" He shouted, but went on being ignored. Many of the ponies purposely knocked into him as they charged the five others. Whether grappling with Yona on the ground, or ganging up on Smolder, Ocellus, and Silverstream, the ponies refused to give them a quarter. Several of the pegasi tried to grapple Gallus one by one, but years on the streets taught him how to defend himself. Though he made sure not to hurt any of the ponies he was holding back. But then one of them grabbed him by the tail, and attempted to drag him down to the ground. He pulled on his own tail in a tug of war against the stallion pulling on him.

The ponies grip slipped, and Gallus was sent crashing into the upper corner of the rotunda, and with a yell, fell into the magic orb. "GALLUS!" Sandbar shouted when he saw his best friend fall in while hold off the ponies. Seeing his friend endangered like that, Sandbar suddenly found himself feeling something he rarely felt before: he was angry. And that anger allowed him to knock, and push aside any, and every pony that got in his way. Any tried to grab him, he punched them hard enough to knock out teeth. And any lunges from behind were what lead to fearsome kicks. His friends were quite shocked, as they had never seen their cool, gentle, and caring friend like this before. This time was different, however, because someone he cared a great deal about was in danger. He wasted no time in bashing his way through the herd, even to Cozy Glow's surprise, and reach the magical orb. He ran up to it, and on his hind legs, reached out his hoof to the orb, as Gallus and Starlight tried to break through.

Unfortunately, in his haste, he had forgotten about how the Mystic Circle's spell works, and the terrifying claws of blue magic reached down, and grabbed him with a yelp. Seeing this, Smolder cried out, "Sandbar! Hang on!", before she freed herself from between two ponies, and flew up to catch Sandbar. Just as he was almost pulled halfway into the orb. But more claws emerged to drag her in, as well. Thankfully, there IS a reason this is a school of friendship. One by one, the other girls got loose from their onslaughts, and formed a chain link of bodies, with Yona as their anchor. "Don't worry! We got you guys!" Silverstream shouted, as the four girls of the group began pulling out Sandbar - who had miraculously also grabbed the claw, and hoof of Gallus, and Starlight respectively. Such a heroic sight caught all of the other ponies off guard, and left them stupified as they observed the six friends trying to save each other.

It ended up being fore naught, sadly, as the spell merely doubled its efforts, and snagged all four of the other creatures with numerous claws. Now, all of them were yanked into the massive orb, and made prisoners much like their counselor. To make matters worse, the center of the circle suddenly cracked. And began to crumble in on itself as the predicted vortex leading to a mysterious realm began to pull in the orb - with the seven creatures inside it. And yet, while Cozy Glow absolutely enjoyed the sight of them getting sucked into her vortex, the other ponies were not as enthusiastic. One mare even went out of her way to point out, "Those creatures just sacrificed themselves to save that griffon, Sandbar and Counselor Starlight. That's the most loyal thing anypony can ever do for one another. Shouldn't we at least try to help them, somehow?"

Cozy sneered at the pony while her legs crossed over her chest, and she dismissively replied, "They all brought this on themselves. There's nothing we can do, now." That answer really didn't seem to sit well with some of the other ponies. "That doesn't sound very kind, or generous." Hearing those words only made Cozy groan in irritation, before she rebuked, "Yeah, yeah: Kindness, Generosity, Honestly, Laughter, and Loyalty. Those are all big parts of what makes friendship magic. But they just aren't accountable in every circumstance." She then began leading the ponies out of the chamber. "Besides, they won't do any good for us unless the elements of Harmony are somehow able to help. And without magic in this world, I doubt even the Tree of Harmony will be as useful as it used to be."

It was only when she had gotten almost everypony out of the room that she noticed something unexpected. Six massive branches that had been forming overarching pillars in the chamber had suddenly began to glow with a bright, and luminous light. Lavender, Pink, Orange, Silver, and Jade light filled each one. Essence flowed out of the branches, and joined in the center of the rotunda above. And all at once, The Rainbow of Light, the sacred power held by the Elements of Harmony, and once in the Mystery Chest of Harmony, struck the orb as it had almost entered into the vortex. Like a magnet, the rainbow slowly pulled the orb back into the air as the returning students observed in wonderment, and shock. Even Cozy Glow let her jaw drop to the floor at this unexpected turn of events.

What amazed the herd of ponies more was when the Student Six emerged from the orb as it remained suspended in the air. When each emerged, they all shined with the light of the roots glowing with the essence of Harmony: Sandbar was Jade, Silverstream pink, Ocellus silver, Yona orange, Smolder blue, and Gallus lavender. They were also shocked by this display, but with wonder and amazement mixed with relief as the orb remained in place. "Look! They're glowing just like the elements!" A mare exclaimed.

"That, my young child, is because they ARE."

Out of the rainbow, at first appeared to be a female version of their headstallion. Only surrounded in glittering lights, and a bright aura of magic. But the Student Six recognized her for who she was. "The Spirit of the Tree of Harmony! She's really here!" Silverstream exclaimed excitedly. But then, to their further shock, the appearance of the alicorn mare began to change. As he wings unfurled, and her eyes shined with white light, shared of the crystal roots broke off from them, and began to swirl around her. They span so fast, and so quickly it formed a rainbow of a ring around the ethereal projection. Her form then seemed to crystalize, and form a crude statue of herself until even her horn, and wing tips were consumed. Once this happened, the shards halted, and a moment of silence passed. Suddenly, the crystal figure cracked in a blinding light. And in its place stood a new creature. A being of such grace, and beauty, filled with such light that it was almost too much to bear.

This was the true spirit of the Tree of Harmony.

"Amazing." Ocellus whispered loud enough to be heard.

"Dude, Sandbar." Gallus asked his pony friend. "Is this a thing alicorns can do? Even magical, tree-illusion-alicorns?"

"How should I know?" Sandbar asked, utterly confused. "I mean, I don't even know if that's even the tree's spirit, or not."

"Rest easy, Faithful Sandbar, for you hold no reason to doubt." The winged figure said to the young stallion. "As I told you once before: as I evolve, so too do my abilities. And I am as much the tree of harmony as it is me. It was your sixes courage, and sacrifice that has given me the strength to reclaim my true form. Though I am known by many names, young ones, know me by my true name as I am, was, and forever shall be."

"And who would that be, exactly?" Silverstream asked meekly.

The entity standing above the raw essence of magic merely looked to the six creatures gathered together, bathed in the light of harmony, and gave only one name. "I am Laurana." Ocellus gasped in recognition at the name. "Laurana? As in the Elder Goddess, Laurana? The one said to embody creation, and light, and heralded in the birth of the world that would become equestria?"

"Once..........long ago." Laurana said in a somewhat somber tone. "I was Bahamut of Creation, and Light who protected all that there ever was. But to this day, I was haunted by many mistakes I made in the past. Mistakes which had cost more lives than any world has suffered in a single lifetime.......and a love extinguished by the harshness of those mistakes. As penance for my failure, I joined my very being with the Sacred Seed of Harmony, in the hopes that six beings who hold the virtues of harmony in their hearts would one day infuse their essence into the seed."

"You mean like The Pillars of Equestria, don't you?" Gallus asked, again surprising his friends at how knowledgeable he was.

"Correct, Brave Gallus." Laurana said. "My purpose was to bond with the seed, and infuse my essence with that of the six to create a beacon of harmony. A monolith that would wield the power to protect this world from those who would seek it harm. In time, that form became The Tree of Harmony, through which my spirit could exist in almost all of its entirety. I took many hosts through the six sacred jewels, whom I believed would one day hold the essence of Harmony strong enough to truly restore my spirit............a belief waylaid by the alicorn princesses ignorant decision to keep my essence separate. Then came the one known as Dusk Shine, and his friends, who reignited the Spark of Harmony, of which I evolved to become one with. Their essence strengthening the sacred jewels to such lengths, that when the time arrived to return them to me.......my spirit, and strength was restored."

"And i'm guessing that box was your way of saying thanks?" Smolder asked.

"By infusing my very being with the Seed of Harmony, and then joining the essence of the six retainers of the past, I created something new. Something seen in countless worlds, but whose nature remained elusive until now: The Rainbow of Light, who holds the power to smite the forces of evil. The sisters were the first who held the aspects of harmony who could utilize The Rainbow of Light, until their great division weakened me. Then Dusk Shine came into being, and awakened The Rainbow of Light once again. However, the elements were essential to my new existence, as I was to theirs. Thus, in turn, continued utilization has only weakened our bond, whether by Dusk Shine's will, or not. Though returning the elements to me restored my strength, it was not enough to truly revitalize me."

"When did that change?" Sandbar asked.

"When I had foreseen the return of the dark herald, Tirek."

"Mean, scary centaur that drain magic?" Yona asked. "One Headstallion Dusk Shine went to check on?"

Laurana suddenly seemed to take on a much darker expression. "Know that it was not mere chance that allowed the insidious tyrant to escape his imprisonment. Just as it was not mere chance that brought him into collaboration with the treacherous filly floating in our midst." Every creature in the room gasped as they turned to Cozy Glow, who was now looking like a deer caught in the headlights. She looked like she wanted to escape, but the shining glare of the Bahamut held her in place, before she continued. "Lord Tirek is herald to an even greater force of evil who wishes to resurrect itself on your world. One who is as ancient as I.....but greater in the ways of darkness, and power. Should this evil rise once more, I will not be able to stop it this time. Your world will face destruction once again."

"Prince Dusk Shine will keep us safe!" Shouted a random pony. "He, and his other friends, and the princesses will protect us like they always do!"

"Yeah! The same as The Pillars!" Another pony added. "All of them, with the Elements of Harmony combined can beat any bad threats that come out way."

"Wrong, child, wrong." Laurana shook her head. "The purpose of the Tree of Harmony was never meant to be that of a sword, to cut down the evils of this world like tinder. It was created to protect the balance of this world. To ensure that Harmony, and Light would counteract, and hold Darkness, and Anarchy at bay.That is why I bestowed the chest unto Dusk Shine: to return balance to Equestria by vanquishing Tirek. For it is not the Elements of Harmony alone that safeguard this world. It is in the unity, and friendship shared between all who live. The bonds that are crafted, and the alliances of love, and respect shared with others that hold the darkness at bay." Laurana smiled brightly. "The simple act of saying hello to a complete stranger, and bidding them a good day. Offering gifts of appreciation, and sharing one's meal with a comrade. Simple, innocent deeds of caring, and compassion that stave off the influences of evil." Laurana sighed heavily. "But even so, to face the coming Darkness, Equestria needs those with the light held inside to safeguard. And sadly, I fear that recent circumstances have weakened my bond to Dusk Shine, and his allies. They can no longer face these dangers alone. And now, more than ever, the act of six different people of different worlds looking beyond their differences, and embracing the bonds of friendship they hold is what is needed to defend your world."

"Do you......really think we have what it takes?" Sandbar asked. "There's still so much we have to learn about friendship. Saving the world is on a whole nother level."

"Perhaps it is, Faithful Sandbar. But like with Love, Friendship takes time, and it takes patience, as well as becoming familiar with the ones you share it with." Her smile brightened as the six shards began to swirl around in a circle as they began moving towards the Student Six, who were still hovering in the air, looking up towards the angelic Bahamut. "The Elements of Harmony were - ARE, merely a conduit for the light inside those worthy of their power, which I alone do not control. And while I fear that Dusk Shine, and his friends have forgotten this fact, and have become too reliant upon the elements.......and Starswirl nearly sacrificed them needlessly, and the prince willingly aiding in their near destruction to defeat their foe, when other actions were required to save this world....and due to the machinations of another poisoning their connection to my vessel............it is in a new generation of friends that Harmony may yet remain when others lose sight of what matters. You six have proven yourselves worthy of carrying the flames of harmony within, and without to defend your world. With the heroes of past, and present at your side, you six will accomplish great things......."

Each shard began to literally join with the hearts, and souls of the student six, as the power of Harmony flowed within them. One by one.

"Sandbar, whose eternal faith in his friends leads him to never abandon nor cast them aside, and instead remain by their side for all time." Sandbar smiled as he saw the jewel now protruding from his chest.

"Gallus, who remains determined, even in the face of certain doom, and his own worst fears, to defend his friends - even from their own self-doubts, and mistrust." Gallus also smiled proudly at the Lavender jewel in his chest, which he gently touched like it were his own heart, which perhaps it now was.

"Ocellus, whose knowledge can guide those led astray down the true path of harmony, and see them through any form of adversity." Ocellus couldn't help but smile at how much the silver jewel in her chest reminded her of King Thorax, whom she also loved as a father.

"Silverstream, who brings the beauty of wonder to the world, as one who is new to this world, and spreads the joyous wonder she feels for all things: her friends, most of all." The hippogriff giggled with glee at the sight of the jewel she now bore.

"Yona, proud, and strong, time and again you demonstrate your ability to be a symbol of integrity, who holds no fear of sharing her love, and care to those around her." Yona beamed as she saw her jem placed upon her chest.

"And Smolder, who may at times favor the pride a dragon holds, but will always ensure that she remains Reliable to those dearest to her, whether they be friends, or family, none will ever be abandoned in their time of need." Indeed, Smolder did feel rather proud as she gazed upon the jewel in her chest. But in the way in which she knows she earned it, just like all her other friends. And like them, she would work hard to prove that she was worthy of this gift until her dying days.

"As the sun sets upon this day, the dawning of great change arises. And you six, as the new Champions of Harmony, shall be integral in the protection of your world. The Pillars of Equestria, and newly dubbed Council of Friendship shall remain to guide you on this journey. But be warned: what you will face is beyond all comprehension in the minds of mortal beings. A force that is not of this world. When the time comes, and you will be called forth to face this evil, trust not what you see - but what you feel. Always believe in yourselves, and in each other, and no darkness can ever extinguish your light. Do you understand?"

The six friends gave each other only a single glance, showing what each thought simultaneous, and gave their agreement in unison to the Spiritual Elder Goddess. "Then go, my young defenders, and show the world what the strength of your friendship can truly accomplish - together!" Her wings, which all who gazed upon her, including the suddenly freed Starlight, saw were comprised of six feathered batwings, spread wide and far as they radiated with pure light. Right before enveloping the Bahamut in equine form, and sending her back to the spiritual realm of The Tree of Harmony.

Now there was only a room full of awe-inspired ponies, and creatures, the orb of magical essence and the vortex, and the glowing roots. Few knew what to say as the Student Six turned to face them with proud looks on their faces. The other students felt humbled in the presence of what they felt was a sacred right of passage they were most fortunate enough to be a part of...........even if it was caused by misguided intentions. "No, nonononononono! This is NOT happening! It's just not possible!" Cozy Glow angrily cried out, being the first to snap out of her stupor, and causing the others to do the same.

"Guess friendship IS in our nature, after all." Gallus remarked smugly to the villainous filly.

"Never mind her!" Sandbar said aloud over the rapidly expanding orb, and raging vortex. "Get to the artifacts, quickly!" The others did as were told, and each went to an artifact belonging to one of their culture. Still covered in their auras of harmony. "Not what we do?" Yona asked with uncertainty.

"I think....." Ocellus began. "The only way to stop the spell is to disrupt the circle - by removing the artifacts."

"Um, Ocellus?" Silverstream asked. "Didn't you say there was a chance that might destroy the school?"

"We gotta take that chance now, or the whole world loses its magic!" Gallus stated. "Besides...." he looked at the ceiling as his senses picked up a dark presence approaching. "I think we can all tell something big's coming - and very, VERY bad." "Gallus, and Ocellus are right." Sandbar said confidently. "It's a risk we have to take, or we lose everything." He then turned to the other students. "Everypony! Get clear of the school! Get as far away as you can, and don't slow down! Quickly!" Not wanting to argue with the pony chosen to be one of the new elements of harmony, and hearing the earlier dialogue, the ponies all ran out screaming, and yelling in fright. Only Cozy Glow stayed behind because she was too busy angrily shouting, "Wait! Where are you going?! STOOOOOOP!!!"

Each of the student Six took hold of an artifact, and prepared to move it, when Sandbar suddenly got an idea. "Guys! I think I know how we can keep the explosion contained: focus all of the magic inside of you, and channel it into the artifact! I think the harmony magic should do the rest!"

"Works well enough for me!" Smolder said. "Let's do it!"

The Student Six were in perfect agreement, and immediately began doing as Sandbar suggested. They could feel their auras, and the harmonic essence in each of them, flowing into the aura surrounding each artifact. They raised them into the air, and allowed that sam essence to flow into the orb. The oceanic sphere filled with multiple colors as it began to compress in on itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just outside, Tirek had continued making his leaps across the land. Like a grasshopper, he jumped, and bounded easily, and without end. His cloak flowing through the air like a demonic fabric that gave off the illusion of devil wings. Something that did plenty to scare off several ponies beneath him. Eventually, however, he soon saw the familiar sights of ponyville in his path. The sickeningly adorable sight of it threatened to make him gag.

But the two new sights that weren't there before were what caught his eye.

One was Dusk's new castle, which Tirek found even more appalling than the town. Then he saw the structure directly behind it. Built right into the side of the mountain. The Prince's precious School of Friendship. And from what Cozy Glow described, the true pinnacle of Dusk Shine's hopes, and dreams. But it was also where that treacherous little mule was hiding herself. Completely unaware of his arrival, which made what he was going to do all the more perfect. Even with Spike in hand, he allowed his body to super heat with his own dark magic. Hotter, and hotter he grew until he was charged with the kinetic force of a meteor.

He then channelled all of this energy into his right fist, floated high into the sky above cloud levels...............and then charged right for the building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the sixth teleport made by the draconequus, Discord finally collapsed in exhaustion in a comically wheezing fashion. Despite Fluttershy's brief fussing, he urged them to go on before it was too late. Inconveniently, he was only able to teleport them in front of the castle. No time to waste. Ignoring everything else, Dusk ran his way through that section of the town towards his castle. He almost collided with the side of it due to how fast he was running. But it was worth it to see the school still intact. It seemed as though they made it in time. Perhaps there was still a chance to save everyone before-

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!

A tremendous force sent the seven friends flying backwards, all the way across the moat bridge. Exactly as a huge explosion erupted from within the school. An explosion that surpassed the explosion of the golden oaks library. For most of the structure atop the hill had exploded in some kind of magical chain reaction: Tirek's magic striking the very center of the school, just as the Student Six released the magic. The result was a bright explosion, which tore several of the buildings apart, and unleashed a cloud of magical wisps in the process. Wisps that began flying all over the place as the stolen magic returned to its rightful owners. This included Chancellor Neighsay and the Princesses, along with their guard who could now fly and teleport to the school they just saw go up in smoke. And the other being the denizens of Tartarus, as well.

The last to receive their magic was Dusk, and his group. The feeling of his true strength returning reinvigorated them all, and got them back on their feet. But one look at the now smoldering ruin that had been their school caused Dusk to scream like he'd never screamed before for the lives he feared were now lost. The worst of all being the piece of family that had been stolen from him, and was caught in the middle of this catastrophe.

"SPIIIIIKE!!!"

Author's Note:

What? Did you actually think Tirek, or moreso Dusk and his friends, were just gonna let the former have his way, and potentially murder innocent ponies in his rampage? Even without magic, we all know Twilight/Dusk would fight with his friends to the end to keep others safe. Even though they are hopelessly outmatched against the new, and improved Lord Tirek, who as you might recall, still holds onto the magic transfused into him by Cozy when she got him that armor, and then got to the level of power he was at in his second form - or third, the one with the bull horns before they elongated, and that plumage he called a mane which I basically replaced with an actual body of long, white hair - by draining ALL of the monsters of Tartarus dry.

Unfortunately, those ponies had no chance, and it only gave him a meat shield to work with in the form of Spike......who I like to think has unfortunate luck when it involves Tirek. Maybe if Cozy Glow's spell didn't affect Discord as it does the rest of the world, he might have had a greater chance of rescuing Spike. But he was way too weak to fight, Tirek took advantage, and decided to just make an explosive bee-line for the School of Friendship. Leaving our heroes to attempt to outrun him via limited teleportation by the weakened Discord.

But enough about them.

It's time we get to the REAL stars of this story next to Tirek, and Dusk Shine: The Student Six.

I actually did what the idiot writers failed to do in this specific moment: I passed the torch of heroism onto the six young friends who were built up to be the rightful successors to the Main Six. And it's also here, we see why the Tree of Harmony was REALLY invested in these six. Like The Pillars of Equestria, Celestia and Luna, and The Mane Six, the student six were the key to restoring the spirit of the tree to her true self, and evolve her essence into the form she once existed in when she was of the mortal plane.

The Elder Goddess of Light, Creation, and Life herself, Laurana.

As I attempted to exlpain in the chapter, she did indeed infuse her essence with that of the crystal seed Starswirl infused with his and his friend's magic before planting it in the hopes of giving existence to a monument of harmony that would protect the balance of their world. Think of it as reincarnation for the Bahamut (Which is indeed the race of Elder Gods that exist in my series), and a way for her to protect the world she came to love dearly. And yet, she longed to regain her sense of self that she had lost long ago when she did what she did. To regain her sense of self, and her true form freed from its own imprisonment...somewhat. The bonds of Friendship each bearer of the elements held was stockpiled into the sacred jewels, but also caused Laurana and the Tree to weaken over time. While the Elements of Harmony being used so often made them less powerful over time, though still stronger than most foes they went up against. Still, it was only when The Elements were returned that Laurana's consciousness fully awakened, and her bond with The Tree grew. And since it was clear that the elements BELONG with the Tree, Laurana gave the Chest, holding a large portion of The Rainbow of Light, to be bestowed upon the champions of harmony once they fully embraced the elements they represent, and unlocked the chest in their most desperate hour.

A final gift for the children of Harmony, same as the castle, from the Protector of their Realm.

Unfortunately, though I didn't mention it in THIS chapter, but will in the series, certain circumstances occurred that changed everything. Starswirl's willingness to destroy the elements in order to vanquish the Pony of Shadows, Dusk and the others willingly going along with it despite Laurana guiding them to Stygian in order to do as Starlight suggested, and save him from the darkness consuming him. The old wizard again removing the elements from their rightful place, which unknowingly lessened the tree's strength, even after the Elements were used for their purpose of healing, and salvation. And then Chrysalis' Mean Six and their negative aspects of Harmony possibly having tainted the connection between Dusk, and his friends by simply being near it, and acting as they did before it defended itself by wiping out the clones. This finally drove Laurana to a single conclusion.

Perhaps it's time for a new generation of ponies to assume the mantle.

That's where The Student Six come in. Time goes on, their friendship is tested by Laurana in the guise of Twilight Sparkle, whose power has grown enough for her to project herself, and use magic - yet still nowhere near close to her true form (base spirit form). The climax of School Raze, however, was then the six of them truly proved themselves as the worthy successors she saw them to be - and Sandbar got some more character development, which he supposedly lacks in the show, but i'm gonna give him anyway. Their newfound connection to the Tree of Harmony, and fully bringing out their aspects of Harmony gave Laurana the strength to finally regain her true form, though she remains a spirit of her own volition. Revealing her true identity, and some of what I explained here, she also warns of a terrible evil approaching that is beyond anything Equestria has faced before. And The Student Six, with help from The Mane Six, and The Pillars of Equestria, shall unite and learn to harness the true power of harmony to stave off this evil.

And what champion of harmony would be complete without the symbol of their element? Even when said elements are crystal shards that grant a direct connection to the tree, and in turn, Laurana. The new elements are as follows, and since Laurana explained how they represent each, i've no need to do it again:

Sandbar is the Element of Faithfulness
Gallus is Determination
Ocellus is Knowledge
Smolder is Reliability
Yona is Integrity
and Silverstream is Wonder.

A scene that might feel like it drags on, but I feel it expands on the AU i've made, and also gives the Studen Six the "Passing the Torch" moment they deserve. Said torches just happen to be crystal shards literally bonded to them in body, mind, and soul. This allows them to harness the power of Harmony without the need for the trinkets the ponies use. And in this version of the story, they use their new power to contain the possible, explosive damage breaking the spell would have done. And it may very well, have worked, too.

Just a shame Tirek arrived at that exact moment, and decided to nuke the whole school with himself as the missile.

Yes, the magic was released still, but the interaction between pure essence, and the Dark Essence Tirek has inside him, and can weaponize at will, caused a chain reaction that made the place go boom. If this show had a higher rating, then maybe they should have blown the school up in that moment. A visual lesson of how there's always a price to pay for everything we do - even good deeds.

Not let's just hope the remaining creatures inside are still alive after an attack like that.:(