• Published 28th Oct 2019
  • 1,133 Views, 4 Comments

The Price of Freedom (Mk. 2) - kahnac



Magic is disappearing from Equestria, and only Tirek holds the answers Dusk Shine needs. But is the centaur willing to cooperate? Or will there be a Price for Freedom to be paid to save the world?

  • ...
3
 4
 1,133

The True Price of Freedom

It had became utter mayhem at the school. The main building of the School had been utterly decimated, and reduced to rubble, and flames. Some of that debris crashed into the other buildings around, but the most obvious remained. The explosion even blew open the front entrance of the school as it passed through the halls, and the shockwave tore down some of the structures. It was only thanks to some of the unicorns who knew good protection spells that prevented them from being completely burned in the explosions. Now, all of them were running to safety, or to help out those in danger.

Oblivious to the smoldering crater than had been the central facility.

In the courtyard was where Dusk, and his friends reappeared. And all of them were heartbroken to see their beloved school in such a sorry state. Even more so, they feared for the safety of most of their students. Applejack stopped one of the running students, and asked him what happened. "There was some kind of flaming meteor that came out of nowhere! It crashed into the main building just as that magical orb was dispersed! Everypony, so far as I know, managed to get out before the explosion hit......except for that group who stayed to free the stolen magic! I think they're still in the wreckage with Counselor Starlight Glimmer!" And he quickly ran to follow the others to the archway stationed above the front door.

Dusk was devastated to hear such news, with his wings falling to the sides of his body to symbolize his sorrow. "It can't-.......how could I let all of this happen?"

The others were quick to surround the alicorn prince, with Rarity assuring him, "Darling, please don't say such a thing! None of this was your fault! You can't possibly blame-"

"Myself?!" he snapped in both anger and sadness. "Then who else CAN i blame, Rarity? I'm the one who fell for Cozy Glows sweetness act, and let her worm her way into my affections. I'M the one who made her my school assistant. I'M the one who took her suggestion to heart, and followed her breadcrumb trail to Tirek! I left this school, and the students who are under my supervision to go on a wild goose chase! And i'm-!" He choked as he took a breath, showing just how emotional he was becoming as tears began appearing in his eyes. "I'm the one who sold my own soul to a devil worse than Discord to set us free. And now........" He closed his eyes shut as he held in his tears to the best of his ability. His friends all hugging him to try, and comfort him, but to little avail. "Starlight.....Sandbar....Yona, and Ocellus. Gallus, Smolder, Silverstream." His voice began to quiver. "Spike. He's....he's taken all of them away. He's taken so much away from me. And now......I don't know what to do."

AJ hushed him as he struggled to hold back his sobs. "It's alright, sugarcube. It's alright. Starlight, and those kids're tougher than a buffalo's hide. Ah'm sure they made it out alright."

"How can you be so sure?" Dusk asked his friend. His tone being that of one pleading for an answer to the hardest question. Something Applejack didn't have the answer to right now, sadly. But then, daring to look around again, Pinkie gasped in shock when she saw a bright, blue flash eighteen feet opposite of them. "How about because they just made a surprise appearance over yonder!" She pointed her hoof in the specificed direction. And to the joy of the ponies gathered, and even Discord's relief, they all saw the Student Six just regaining their senses after that mystery teleport. Yona was the first, and whooped excitedly as she charged for a hug towards Starlight Glimmer - who was thankfully fast enough to hold her in her magic before she could get accidentally squashed. "Yes! Yes, Yona, i'm okay!" She smiled happily. "Just like i'm happy you're all okay."

A sentiment greatly shared by the main six. With bright smiles, the group prepared to go over, and express their happiness. But then a familiar, young voice snapped aloud for all to hear. "You lousy, miserably freaks! You've ruined everything!" To the anger of the main six, it was Cozy Glow - albeit with her fur singed, along with her ribbons and bows. And right now, she looked about ready to kill somebody as she stomped towards the seven. "Not only is my school a pile of smoking ashes, and the seat of my future empire gone: now Dusk Shine, and his idiotic friends can escape from Tartarus!" No sooner had she said that did the very figures of discussion teleport in front of the surprised group. His five friends may have been glaring at the young filly..... but Dusk was burning a hole into her very soul with his look of anger, and betrayal. Cozy read the room, and attempted to turn things in her favor with her usual performance. "Uh...i--i-i-...i mean....oh, golly! You're all okay! I'm so happy!" she said in a grossly fake tone of concern.

"Cut the act, Cozy Glow!" Applejack said sternly. "Yer penpal teacher, TIrek, told us all about what you've been up to, and what you almost did!"

Brief quiet passed as Dusk steadily walked up to the young filly. His glare remained, and when Cozy saw it, she had grown even more worried than before. "All I want to know is why?" He said in a low, reserved tone which unnerved those around. "We welcomed you into our school. We believed in your honest desire to learn about friendship. We gave you our trust, and friendship. I gave you my trust." He then suddenly shouted, "SO HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US?!" His anger was now being let loose on the young filly, who was the biggest cause of this calamity. "Do you have any idea how many lives could have been lost because of your actions?! How many innocents might have suffered because you robbed our world of its very essence?! Do you know how many ponies might have been killed today because of you?!" After a while, his anger burned out, and all that was left was the hurt. "I just don't understand, Cozy! We were your teachers - your friends! Why would you do all of this? To me? To us? To all of Equestria?"

Unfortunately, instead of actually being affected by Dusk's emotional plea, Cozy only seemed to have been building up anger, and frustration. All this spieling about "friendship" and caring for others finally got on her nerves, and she finally snapped. "WHY?!" Her outburst actually shocked Dusk into taking a few steps back. "Because friendship is power, you idiot! You don't even get just how much influence you have on Equestria with your status, do you? So many ponies, and now creatures follow your sentimental ideals of a ridiculous concept! But I realized the ridiculous part was the sappy, sentimental stuff you believed it was all about! My REAL teacher, Tirek, taught me that Friendship is the power to bring others to your cause, and bring them under your wing!" She began smiling like a crazed madmare. "And ponies are so easy to control! A few sweet words here, some niceness there and you can get them to do anything for you! How else do you think I was able to use persuasion spells to steal some chunks of Chrysalis' throne for ingredients to make Tirek's armor?" The students, and even Dusk's friends including himself were shocked by this info. The pony students for actually falling for Cozy Glow's manipulations - the older ponies because of the danger they knew that throne presented, even in pieces. It did, however, explain how it worked.....somewhat. But Cozy wasn't finished just yet, and kept ranting. "Not that it'll do him any good still locked up in Tartarus where he belongs! Equestria's mine to rule, and i ain't sharing it with anypony else!" She then smiled maliciously. "And it'll be easy to do with Friendship at my side! You might be the Prince of Friendship, but as Headmare of this School once it's rebuilt, I can get more friends than you EVER could!"

Whatever anger Dusk had in his heart for the filly faded away as he listened to her tyrad. Now that he saw just how warped her perception was on Friendship, and many other things, he couldn't find it in him to hate her. All he could feel was pity for her. Tirek had twisted her to his own way of thinking, and created a very disturbed, and misguided foal. "Cozy," he said in a gentler tone than he'd used before, "please. Friendship is powerful, I admit. But that's not WHY you make friends. I don't completely know what Tirek's told you, but all of it isn't true. Everything he says is a lie, and his views on Friendship are just as eschewed. Friendship isn't meant for controlling others: you make friends because you feel a connection to them, and genuinely care for them. The bonds you make with others is what gives you strength." He pointed his hoof at the deranged filly. "I'm only sorry I failed to teach you that."

"Well, ya didn't faily with us!" Gallus proudly proclaimed as he, and the others grouped around Dusk. He himself smiling brightly at the sight of who he considered his best students, alive and unharmed - though he couldn't help but notice the jewels that looked like they were lodged into their chests. Questions for later. "Yeah! And you can't let one bad apple make you think you failed." Silverstream added.

"And we couldn't have stopped her if we hadn't learned what you taught us about friendship!" Sandbar proudly said.

"Honesty? Loyalty?! Blah, blah, blah blah!" Cozy Glow spouted out in annoyance, much to the other's shared annoyance. "Puh-lease! I can make my own friends without any of that garbage! And if I can't do it here, anymore, then i'll just go somewhere else, and start again!" She said, before taking flight towards the partly balcony. She was surprised when ALL of the students she had turned against The Student Six blocked her path. A random pegasus retoring, "Yeah, i don't think so!" Cozy growled in frustration, and made a dash for another archway. But that just so happened to be near the only remaining pond bridge where the Princesses, and Chancellor Neighsay teleported in. To make matters worse, she saw dozens of pegasi Royal Guards swarming the skies, blocking off her escape from above. She was now frantic, and desperate for a way out. In her desperation, she decided to take the one route nopony would dare follow her: straight into the burning wreck of the school itself. The ponies noticed, and shouted for her to stop. But she ignored them, shouting "So long, losers! See you when i'm Empress of Friendship!"

Right before she could fly over the flames, and into the crater leading underground, another explosion occurred. One which knocked her right back into the hooves of the Dusk Shine. It took a few seconds for her to recover from the shock of the blast. Just as she did, she and every other creature present looked on in shock, and growing fear as the visage of a horned giant, with a ragged cloak flowing in the wind slowly stepped out of the flames of the wreckage he had caused. And everyone who did not meet him yet, was introduced to the unholy centaur of evil who was the true source of all this chaos. Dusk glared daggers into him as he shouted, "TIREK!" and charged his horn to prepare an attack. All those in the royal guard, Neightsay, and even Discord and the Princesses readied to do the same.

"So........" Tirek mused as he observed his surroundings, ignoring the army of ponies looking ready to run him through. "This is where the magic of friendship happens. Quaint." The Student Six were almost petrified at the sight of the massive centaur. Silverstream especially, because of how he reminded her of a larger, and even more evil version of the Storm King. "Guys......please tell me that isn't the guy our professors were after before!" She said in a low, frightened voice.

"I'm afraid so." Ocellus answered nervously. "Though I didn't actually think he'd be this......fearsome."

"Yak think scary works, too." Yona said in a slight shiver. "Not that Yona scared of minotaur-pony!"

"Yona, while I appreciate the tough act........even i'm creeped out by this guy, so there's no need to hide it." Smolder admitted, muffling her intimidation.

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you," Gallus said, while the group remained standing behind their headstallion, "but....even I don't think trying to take this guy is a good idea!"

"You have no idea, Gallus!" Sandbar said, trying to hold in his own fear as he recalled the terrifying stories he heard of Tirek's previous rampage. Of a demon who tricked even the Lord of Chaos into becoming an agent of his, and then proceeding to suck the life out of Equestria itself. It probably would be bad to try, and take this guy without heavy-hitting power. But the flash of his element reminded him that they had a weapon that could handle him if a fight was inevitable. So he had faith things would work out.

Dusk, however, didn't seem to be in any sound mind as he shouted, "You've got so much nerve, it's impossible to measure it all! Now give me back my brother, or else!!" Tirek merely raised an eyebrow at the alicorn, who thought he was a threat to him. Then he finally looked to the army of creatures standing against him. The odds hardly seemed to be in his favor at this moment. And yet the centaur didn't seem to be worried in the slightest. In fact, he wa giving the widest, most wicked smile ever seen before laughing aloud. "Brother, you call him?" He chortled in mockery. "You mean this insipped, reptilian slime?" A snap of the fingers later, and Spike appeared in a familiar-looking bubble beside the centaur's head. Panic, and terror evident in his wide, frightened eyes. Dusk even more afraid for his brother as deja vu struck him a this exact moment upon seeing the prison Spike was in. "You certainly have a habit for picking up strays, don't you, prince?" He then eyed the student six with intrigue, and hummed. "A pony, griffon, hippogriff, changeling, yak, and dragon together? A rare sight in these times, I must admit."

"Discord, can't you do something?!" Rainbow shouted.

"Don't you think i've been trying, skittle-head?!" he exclaimed in frustration. "For some reason, my magic's taking longer to reboot. Must be all of that harmony essence in the air, mossing up my chaos magic!" While he continued trying to call on his powers, the princesses ordered their troops to hold back so as not to risk harm to the young drake. Right now, this was between Dusk, and his oversized nemesis, along with the pegasus filly still being held in his grip. "Enough games, Tirek." Dusk said in a low.....almost begging tone. "Just give me back Spike.....and i'll let you take Cozy Glow."

"Exactly as we agreed upon?" TIrek asked.

With a reluctant sigh, Dusk answered, "Yes."

The centaur took a few moments to consider, and almost appeared as if he'd renege on his bargain. But then he chuckled, and released Spike with a snap of his fingers. "So be it, my alicorn friend. That is what I can always depend on you for: your sentiment enforcing your reliability. Now, the child, if you please." With greater reluctance, he released his grip on Cozy, who elbowed him in the chest before flying to Tirek. At the same time as Spike shot past, and embraced his brother in a hug of brotherly affection. The young dragon crying in his brother's legs, the former not caring about the tear stains in his fur. He let his younger brother cry as much as he wanted. With how much his life had been threatened, he had every right to. Dusk just wished it didn't have to happen in the first place. The moment, unfortunately, was ruined by Cozy's crazed laughter as she flew beside her mentor. "See?! It pays to have friends in high places! Especially friends as powerful as Tirek here! And with him, Equestria will be easy pickings!"

"Are you so sure of that?" Tirek asked Cozy in a deep, devilish tone that frightened the young filly, before she found herself locked in his magical grip. "Wait, what are you doing?!" Cozy exclaimed. "I thought we were friends! I followed all your instructions, and did what you wanted! I thought you'd be happy!"

"And you assumed I wanted you to send Equestria's essence into oblivion?!" TIrek snarled in the fillies face. "Equestria's magic, and Equestria itself is MINE! I taught you all that I know in the hopes you would be grateful enough to liberate your master, and ensure our dominion over this world is guaranteed." He then grabbed her by both her wings and raised her to eye level. "But your ambition outgrew your wits, and you betrayed me. You betrayed our contract, little one, and that is NEVER a good thing."

"N-nonono, i didn't! I-i was just-"

"You were a blank flank when I first reached out to you. You wanted a cutie mark that would give you the intellect to stage a coup of Equestria, and utilize magic without the need for a horn - similar to the Zebra race. So once you learned to channel dimensional portals to tartarus, and gave me your essence, I completed the unbreakable oath, and made you the tactical genius you think yourself to be. All you had to do was provide the means of restoring me to my true power. A simple task."

"But I got you that armor made, a-"

"And if you thought that would pacify me, then you are sorely mistaken, whelp!" He then snapped his fingers, and produced a golden parchment Dusk and his friends easily recognized. "It was all in our contract....dear, sweet, lovable, STUPID Cozy!" A rune suddenly appeared next to Cozy's name, and with a wicked smile Tirek said, "And since you failed to keep up your end, now it's time I reclaim what I gave you when we first met - as our bargain decrees!" Cozy whimpered in fright as Tirek's horn ignited, and he prepared to drain her of her magic. Before he could do anything, however, he was suddenly bound in Gold, Azure, and Aqua chains that made him release Cozy out of surprise. He turned, and saw it was The Princesses, and Neighsay who were responsible. "You will not harm that child, monster!" Neighsay shouted. "Not so long as I am Chancellor of the EEA!"

Tirek chuckled, "Even though the brat had you held hostage for a time? And attempted to cripple your world forever?"

"The result of your manipulations, no doubt! But as Chancellor, i am sworn to ensure the safety of our students - even those belonging to an EEA Unaccredited school as this." He lightly smiled at Dusk Shine, who returned the gesture. Celestia, and Luna then flew next to Dusk Shine, and glared at the centaur in their grasp. "I don't know how you escaped Tartarus yet again, Tirek." Celestia began. ""But I swear it will be the last time!"

"I, myself, will see to it personally that you never see the light of day, again!" Luna threatened.

Yet just before anyone could do anything, something rather startling happened. A golden, lasso-like ring appeared around Dusk's neck, and he cried out in a gasp of pain from the agonizing pain around his neck. A throttling, shocking, burning pain that made him cry out as he tried pulling at the golden, immaterial lasso of magic threatening to choke him to death, much to the horror of his friends, and the princesses. "Dusk Shine!" Celestia cried out, seeing her former student trying desperately to get free of that thing that was killing him. The sight of which made Tirek laugh in amusement, even while shackled. "Now, isn't THAT inconvenient?" His body then shined with a crimson aura, and he drained the chains of every ounce of essence they held, before casually breaking them, and then taking Cozy Glow back in his aura, and draining her of all her magic before any of the ponies could stop him. He tossed her over to a nearby pair of guards who caught her weakened form. "Now the Prince gets the honor of learning what comes of attempting to renege on HIS end of our bargain."

"What have you done, demon?!" Luna demanded, brandishing a divine blade to strike the centaur down.

"I assure you, Princess, that he chose this fate." Tirek then produced the very same contract he had formed with Dusk Shine, and unfurled it in his hand for the princesses, and even Discord the ever-curious to see. "How else do you think his friends and I escaped Tartarus? We made a deal through the Unbreakable Oath." All three figures eyes widened in shock, as they turned to look to the alicorn stallion being tended to by the Student Six. The ring was still there, but no longer strangling the panting alicorn, who looked to his fellow rulers with an expression of guilt, and said, "I'm so sorry!" in a hoarse, and weak voice. "I didn't want to......but it was the only way we could think of to get out in time!"

"It's alright, Prince Dusk." Celestia said in a reassuring tone, before she, her sister, and even Discord glared at the glowing parchment, and ignited their full powers (Discords magic just came back in full). "Whatever devil's bargain was made, WE will unmake it!" And the three fired a combined beam of unrestrained magical power at the contract. The force was enough to actually make Tirek hit the other end of the crater as the beam tried tearing into the golden projection. Yet no matter how much power was put into it, in the end, the contract remained unharmed. And Tirek was left chortling in hellish delight. "Now do you see? This is the power of The Unbreakable Oath. By the powers of our essence, willfully joined by the power of Harmony itself, the contract forged is thereby legal, binding, and completely unbreakable - even for the likes of you." Tirek remarked as he flew back over to where the trinity stood. "Which means that all who are present here must abide by the terms by our beloved prince of friendship."

"And that would be what, exactly?" Neighsay questioned as he approached.

"Quite simple: In return for my freedom from the accursed caves, and neutralizing the threat of my little apprentice - by any means that included draining every beast in that dungeon dry, the prince here must guarantee my freedom so long as I bring no deathly harm to any living creature. I have fulfilled my end of the contract completely, as no lives have been taken on this day - which i'm sure Discord can attest to. Now all that remains is for my to be on my way so that our contract may be complete, and the terms of separation for an extensive period of time is fulfilled."

"And you think we would simply allow you to leave?!" Princess Luna exclaimed with indignation. "After all you have done, on this day, and in the past?"

With a blank expression, he looked down at the lavender furred alicorn who still had a look of shame as he lowered his head. The Princesses saw, and began to understand what he meant now. "Unless you wish to find a replacement alicorn to play as your stooge, then you have no choice." He then grinned. "However, should you require a little more......incentive..." The tips of his middle finger, and thumb touched. And as golden sparks of electricity sparked, Dusk was once again subject to Tirek's cursed contract. While the others were panicking, The Princesses had enough, and took a backwards dash through the air before firing at the centaur. He fired his own beam of magic, and met their attacks head on. Unknown to any present, Tirek absorbed as much of the exploding magic as he could before it all returned to Equestria, and returned all those with it to their true selves - even if the rest of the magic of the creatures he drained slipped through his grasp. This put him on equal footing with the princesses, and their beams remained stationary. But then Tirek made a hellish chuckle as his hands sparked with crimson lightning. Before the shocked princesses could break off, they were hit, and thrown backwards. Seeing their Princess downed, the other guards made their attempt to attack him.

He laughed as he sucked every ounce of magic out of the guards, and watched all of them fall to the ground - Discord caught those in the air before they could break anything internal.

This caused Tirek's form to expand even further to the size he took just before he drained Discord. And unfortunately, the draconequus remembered that Tirek might very well have been equal to him in terms of power in this stage. But looking at those around, he knew he still couldn't stand idly by, and do nothing. So, with a single snap, he gathered all of the subdued ponies together near the other students, and put all of the groups in protective bubbles. Neighsay, of course, had opted to fight beside the Draconequus, and teleported to his side. He even had Dusk, and the Student Six grouped up with the mane six and Starlight, and kept a barrier over them as well. The two then readied to face the empowered centaur. The sight of this unlikely duo amusing centaur immensely. "So, a commendable alliance between TWO treacherous worms against a rising god. How amusing."

"You will not be laughing for long, you insidious fiend!" Neighsay challenged. "I admit, i have made many mistakes." He regretfully looked to Dusk, and the student six. "Some far worse than others." But then glared back at the centaur. "But my loyalty remains to the citizens of Equestria, The Princesses who guard it, and the young ponies for whom the EEA, and this school were created to nurture into the finest beings the world has ever known! And I will not allow you to take away their futures, so long as i draw breath!" Needless to say, the others were quite moved by Neighsay's honest change of heart. After all the trouble he caused them, he was still, by no means evil, and he was willing to prove it now. Just as Tirek was willing to take him up on his offer. "Then draw your last breath, fool!" He then pulled out a boulder with his magic and hurled it at the unicorn, who closed his eyes in fear of the deathly impact awaiting him.

But the sound of a snap, and the giant boulder turning into multicolored balloons saved him from such a fate. "Yeah, i'm afraid the good Chancellor's in need of breathing." Discord quipped. "I mean, aside from me, who doesn't need it? Breathing's good: it helps get your head cleared, endorphins fix up chemical imbalances, clear up the mind, and-" He yelped as he, and Neighsay were grabbed by a charging Tirek, and then nearly smashed into the ground in front of the ponies. Thankfully, Tirek forgot Discord could teleport at will, and got himself and Neighsay out in time. The two appeared behind him, and suddenly, Discord turned into Al Capone - complete with a machine gun that fires magic bullets. "SAY 'ELLO TO MAH LI'LE FRIEND!" And barraged the centaur with dozens of magical rounds. Though despite the amount of power put behind those 'bullets', they only seemed to annoy him. The mystic chains holding him by his arms through several magical portals, however, did the trick of preventing him personal protection. Sadly, it didn't last long, and again Tirek fired a beam out of his horns, which split the two up from each other. Taking a page from the unicorn, himself, Tirek ripped Neighsay's medallion off, and then bound him in glowing, iron chains that held him where he stood. "I'll deal with you later, knave. Now, where is-"

Sploch!

Dozens of cakes, and pies fell from the sky above, and covered Tirek in their product. Many of the recovering ponies actually laughed at the dumbstruck look on the centaur's face. That was the moment Discord appeared with some kind of box in his hands with a handle on top. "Oh, what's wrong, Tirek? Pastries aren't your thing? I'd think you would enjoy a little sweetness in your life with how sour you always are - and because seeing you covered in stains is hilarious." he chuckled. Tirek hardened his gaze at the chaos spirit, and said, "Always with the antics, you misshapen aberration. THen again, all you've ever been is a joke noone can take seriously." He then smirked through the white cake batter covering his face. "Then again, you always were good for a laugh."

Discord actually took some offense to that, and exclaimed, "Oh, yeah?!" Then proceeded to set down the box, which now had the words "ACME Cake #4" written on its side, and then pump the handle down. What resulted was a spark snaking its way to Tirek's leg, much to the centaur's confusion. Once it actually touched the pastry mess covering him, and it started flashing bright, he realized what was going on. And before he could react, he exploded in a dazzling flash of light. Only a smoking crater was seemingly left of him, much to the shock of everycreature watching. The briefly panting Discord suddenly flashed into the form of a buffed up version of himself, heavily resembling the character All-Might. He even added in the heroic laughter of the pro-hero, before changing back to his old, familiar self. "Who's laughing now?"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

A pillar of fire erupted out of the ground, and Tirek was brought back without even a mark on him. "Why I believe it's me, Dizzy." Now, like before when the centaur had betrayed him ages ago, the lord of chaos grew nervous. He put an immense amount of chaos magic into that attack, and Tirek shrugged it off like nothing? Maybe that armor really was a factor in it.......but whatever dark energy Discord sensed off of him, it was both familiar, and more than he imagined there being. He was interrupted, however, by Tirek suddenly turning him into a marionette to his great shock.In the process, his protective wards died down, and the others were exposed once more. And with random gestures of his fingers, Tirek made the clownish puppet he made the Chaos Spirit into dance a merry jig. "I have to admit that your parlor tricks have been amusing, draconequus. Truly a performance worthy of any Lord, and Master. But you ultimately botched your only chance to get the best of me. You slammed me with what you had, but your double whammy just wasn't up to snuff." He chuckled maliciously, as a ball of scarlet fire formed in his left hand. "But the moment my power reached this point, you were little more than a nuisance against me. A comedic toy whose long out of date." He raised his flame-holding hand up to the chaos spirit, who, despite now being made of wood, was sweating globs from the heat that was far too intense for him to handle. "This may not kill you, Discord, but that's just fine. Because once I deep fry you, and once again feast on your essence.......this time, you will understand that when compared to me, you're only second rate!"

"STOP!" Shouted Prince Dusk, as he fired a beam of his magic at Discord's strings, and cut him loose. Freeing him from Tirek's spell. Something the centaur didn't quite appreciate, and now had an angry expression turned towards the stallion prince. "There's been enough hurting, and enough violence! You can go! I won't try, and stop you, if that'll make you stop!" His ears drooped. "I won't cause any more suffering than I have because I went back on my word, and made so many mistakes." He then looked up to the centaur. "If I agree to take Cozy Glow's place in the terms of our bargain, then I ask that you complete our original deal, and leave in peace." The others gasped in silence. Terrified for their friend who was making another deal with this monster, even after all he'd done. Most thought he was insane, while his friends simply feared for his life. Tirek, however, laughed loudly, and with booming force before he managed to speak again. "This is why I truly find you amusing, Dusk Shine. So eager are you to cast aside your own well-being to protect your dear friends - even though it might mean the end of you. Friendship truly is your greatest weakness, isn't it?"

Dusk stared back firmly into the giant centaur, unafraid to stand up to him. "You're wrong, Tirek! So long as i'm guided by friendship, I'll always do what's right to protect those who matter." TIrek raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Even if it means protecting that little criminal who almost destroyed the balance of this world? You're just going to sacrifice your own life for a little villain who would sooner stab you in the back rather than return the favor?" He indicated towards the now unconscious filly. "Who cares about what she's done?! Regardless of her crimes, she is only a child! A child who must have had a difficult path that YOU took advantage of! Not even she deserves to lose her life..........and i'd gladly give mine to protect others. Perhaps if you knew how to care for others as you do yourself, then you might understand."

This made Tirek gasp in surprise, and his eyes widen. For the first time, he had truly been taken by surprised. But not by any manner of spells, or incantations, or attacks made against him. But by words spoken, that he remembered hearing from so long ago. In that moment, he no longer saw Dusk Shine with his determined look. Now, he was seeing a brown-furred, young Gargoyle who looked up to him with sympathetic, pleading eyes that held so much love for him, it was almost torturous. And when that visage went away, Tirek returned to reality to his mortal enemy. And this time, he did not laugh with any wicked glee........but with hollow sadness. "That's exactly what my brother said all those years ago. For some reason, you remind me of him. Maybe that's why I hate you, especially so. Every time you speak of friendship, and protecting others, you remind me of how he betrayed me. How he chose your kind over his own brother. How Friendship was used to trap him in a collective mindset that made him an unwitting slave. You remind me of him, and how Friendship is another form of imprisonment, to which cold, iron bars is preferable to me."

Dusk's expression, after hearing the hidden emotions of hurt, loss, and pain in TIrek's voice that noone else caught on, turned sympathetic as he tried to reach out to him. "You don't have to keep lying to yourself, TIrek. You know none of what you say about Scorpan is true. Noone used Friendship to control him: he just saw how much better friendship is than the mayhem you were planning to unleash. If he truly betrayed you, then why did he try to convince you to turn away from the evil plans you held onto? Why did he leave you his medallion to remember him by?" His tone then turned more desperate. "He loved you, Tirek. He loved you so much, that the thought of staying in Equestria was too much for him to bear. He did what he thought was right, but it broke his heart all the same." He then smiled sadly at Spike. "I should know something about that." He turned back to TIrek, and said, "And it must be the same for you, too, right? Why else would you have kept his medallion for so long before giving it to Discord? Deep down, you must have still loved him, and held onto some semblance of it by keeping it. That necklace was a symbol of a brother's love - and if your held onto it for so long, then surely that same love still exists in you somewhere. Can't you see that?"

For a moment Tirek said nothing. Noone spoke as the centaur simply stared at the alicorn who had spoken of such a deep, and personal matter. Of a past he had long since buried the day he was locked away. His eyes shut, and a look of melancholy befell him as he reminisced. "Before we came to this land, he and I were inseparable. There was nothing he, and I didn't do together. Playing, eating, and even sharing things we heard around our home. True, there were times we had our squabbles, but nothing ever too serious." His eyes opened, and a somber expression appeared. "And despite my mother, and father's obvious favoritism towards him, I just couldn't find it in me to hate him. He had this...light that always surrounded him that kept him close to my heart. As though he were a part of me. A piece of my soul that I had been waiting ages to finally come into the world. I was brash, arrogant, and challenging.......and he was kind, humble, and always considerate of others. A light to compliment the darkness that I still believe I am." He suddenly turned his back on the group as he walked a few feet towards the dying fires of the school, his head lowered. "And when we abandoned our home after its.......tragic fate, he was always there for me. He didn't fully agree with my idea, but he still stood by my side. All that mattered was us. We were brothers in mind, body, and soul." he chuckled. "I suppose we were as close to being friends as we were brothers. As long as I had him, i could endure anything this world had to offer. Nothing could ever bring me down."

Dusk took a cautious step towards the centaur. From how sentimental he sounded, it almost appeared as if he was reaching the demonic titan. He wanted to say something to him. Perhaps remind him that he could find something like that again, if he were willing to try. Just like with Starlight, Tirek could make new bonds just as strong as what he described. Or close enough, since he knows the bonds of two brothers cannot ever be replaced. He hovered into the air to speak his peace.

But then, a crimson aura surrounded Tirek's body, and carried malice unlike anything felt before.

"Then you took him away." He growled in an echoing, distorted, and deeper tone of his voice than they'd heard him use. And when he slowly turned around to see the front of the centaur, they were soon gripped by utter fear from what they saw. Rage. Hate, Bloodthirst. Raw malice formed from the darkest of emotions surrounded, and empowered the centaur. As his cape billowed in a non-existent wind, the aura seemed to take on the looming shape of a crescent-horned figure staring down at them. "YOU MISERABLE, WORTHLESS, WRETCHED BLIGHT UPON THIS EARTH TOOK HIM AWAY FROM ME!!!" His roar was so frightening, and monstrous that it shook his audience to their very core. Even Discord at his most intimidating could not compare to the hatred, and rage being exposed to him.

Dusk, now also afraid, but still wanting to keep peace shuddered, "Tirek, no! That's not-" But he was painfully grabbed by his wings, and screamed from the amount of pressure threatening to crack his fragile wing bones. Yet, even with his magic back, the glowing glare sneering at him kept him petrified by fear. Stopping him from making any attempts to escape as Tirek spoke in the same distorted voice he had now adopted. "Our destiny was to be side-by-side forever. To take what belongs to us without any authority to control, or manipulate us! But you manipulated him. Brainwashed him! Poisoned his mind by making him care for a species that is only ever useful as sustenance! His treachery destroyed a bond so deep that there can never be any hope of mending the damage ponykind afflicted. The amulet, as I told Discord, was as worthless as he is. The real reason I kept it was so I could never forget. So I could never...........FORGIVE!" He launched Dusk into the side of the right wall in the courtyard, stunning him. And giving Tirek time to focus all of that dark energy into his hands, and inbetween his horns. This dark essence focusing into what would be a devastating attack. It was here the centaur laughed that arrogant laugh of his once again. "I should certainly thank you, Dusk Shine: you're reminded me of why I hate you, and your kind so much.........but you more than all others. So if you truly wish to die to atone for your sins, then allow me cleanse you." He joined the two orbs together to form an even larger one, and raised above his head to launch his attack at the terrified alicorn. "WITH DARKNESS!"

Seeing their headstallion in danger, it was the young six who actually lept into danger, despite the protests of the other ponies. They ran, and flew as quickly as possible to save their mentor before it was too late. But it seemed as if they might not make it. For just as they were halfway there, Tirek fired his stream of dark energy at the weakened alicorn. His doom had arrived at last.

But then fate intervened as a white light shielded him against the dark energy. He then noticed that he was being held by the Student Six in a protective embrace. Their eyes were also closed as they feared their own demise might come in trying to shield him. But they quickly realized that they were safe. All thanks to the power of their Elements, shining in unison, and coating them in their aura. "Ah, yeah!" Smolder whooped. "I could really get used to this!"

"Assuming you don't eat your gem first, right?" Gallus quipped.

"Oh, yeah? Sure you don't wanna sell yours for some bits?" Smolder retorted.

Gallus grumbled, "Okay, you got me."

"Guys?" Dusk asked in bewilderment, not knowing what was happening. "What is this? How did you-?"

"We'll explain in more detail later." Sandbar answered. "Let's just say Equestria might have picked its new defenders."

Dusk silently gasped in surprise, as he now understood what those jewels - literally infused into their bodies - actually were. But he also knew what this might mean for him, and his friends. And in all honesty, he had no idea what to feel about at the time. But also, he had no time to think on it, because of the threat at hand. "How?! How can this be?! You shine with the light of Harmony, yet you do not wield the Elements?! What sorcery is this?!"

"No sorcery here, Tirek!" Ocellus exclaimed, feeling her confidence grow as her element shined.

"You're just getting another taste of what the power of Friendship can do!" Gallus added with his arms crossed.

"And it's not just limited to ponies, either!" Sandbar said.

"Like Headstallion say: Friendship bring others together, and form bonds that cannot be broke!" Yona proclaimed.

"And it's all we need to take down an oversized bully like you!" Silverstream exclaimed in the same tone she used against the Storm King shades in the crystal caverns.

Tirek only snarled in rage as the crimson aura seemed to hiss at the light. "You are as ignorant, as you are foolish, you insolent whelps! My power is greater than Friendship, and all of Equestria combined! And you will know my wrath!" he roared as he charged up for another attack.

"Let's see if you can back that up, bullhead!" Smolder shouted. "Let's get 'em!"

The six friends gathered together in a small cluster, with all fliers floating above Sandbar, and Yona. But that all changed when their aura's all combined into a single light, and levitated them up to Tirek's chest. Smiling confidently, the teenaged creatures joined claws, and hooves together in the center of their circle, just as Tirek finished charging his attack. With a roar of fury, he unleashed all of the dark, enhanced power at his disposal to destroy the Young Six. And the latter pointed their joined limbs together to unleash a new version of The Rainbow of Light. The beams collided with incredible force, and for a good, long while where held off at a stalemate. Both sides struggling to put everything they had into this clash of power. At first, it appeared Tirek might actually be the one to prevail, due to the fact the Student Six had already used this power previously, and it was now a little weaker. More than enough for the dark power to possibly defeat it.

That is, until the student six saw the desperate, pleading faces of the ponies watching them. The Princesses, and the Guard. Chancellor Neighsay, most surprisingly to them. The other pony students attending the school. Spike, Starlight, and Discord, who chewed his nails nervously. The five mares who had been their teachers since coming to this school. And Dusk, himself, who risked so much, and worked so hard to keep everypony safe - even their enemy, Cozy Glow. All of them were depending on them to stop Tirek. All of them believed in the six young teenagers who hailed from all across Equestria. Who grew to be the closest of friends through trial, and adversity. Just as other ponies had believed in their teachers before them, the Young Six could feel the hopes of the ponies who believed in them. And it was this hope, and belief that gave them newfound strength, and the power to overwhelm Tirek. The Centaur struggled as hard as he could to hold back the swirling stream of magical spectrum light pushing towards him. But in the end, nothing could be done, except roar in defiance as he was swallowed by the beam of Light.

The Rainbow channeled into that single spot, and then exploded in another wave of magical light. The chains holding Chancellor Neighsay disappeared. The magic taken from the Royal Guard was returned to them. And even Dusk Shine felt the hold of the golden lasso of The Unbreakable Oath disappear. Several more wisps of magic flew off into the distance, returning to the creatures of Tartarus that it had been taken from. And with naught but a billowing cloud of smoke where Tirek once towered above, The Young Six returned to the ground as the light faded from their bodies. And all of them felt quite tired from that exasperating experience. Smolder almost fell over before Yona held her up with her horns, for which the dragon was grateful.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the Main Six, Spike, and Starlight all ran up to the students, and began showering them with praise. Some even giving them pats on the shoulders, and things like that. "Guys, that was so awesome!" Spike exclaimed. "The way you stood up to Tirek, and then blasted him into atoms? Rainbow Lasers really are the best!"

"I'll say!" Pinkie excitedly said, before putting a magnifying glass to Silvertstream's gem. "Though what do you think we're gonna have to call these things, now? The Neo Elements? Y'know, because they're basically the new, and improved versions of the Elements of Harmony, and awesomely built-in accessories that make them look as if they were aliens that actually ARE gems, but can look like real creatures!" When she stopped, she noticed the group all staring at her with bewilderment. "Er.....I mean.....look at how shiny the pretty gems are!"

"While I must agree with that remark, given how stunning those gems are," Rarity complimented with great admiration, "nopony can deny how much like the Elements of Harmony those jewels acted. Do any of you young ones have an answer for this?"

"Well, like I told Headstallion Dusk," Sandbar said, rubbing the back of his head, "I think the Tree of Harmony basically picked us to be new Element Bearers - like you guys."

"What?!" Rainbow exclaimed. "You mean......the Tree of Harmonies replacing us? After all the hard work we put into keeping Equestria safe, and being totally awesome while doing it?! That's so not fair!" She would have complained more had Dusk not closed her mouth shut for a moment with his magic. "Calm down, Rainbow. If the Tree of Harmony did this, there has to be a reason. And we'll discuss it later..........after we finish things up with him."

Before the group could ask what Dusk was talking about, their confusion was replaced by shock when they heard the sound of someone straining, and groaning in pain. The turned to the source of the sound, and found it was coming from Tirek's position. By now, the smoke had cleared away, and revealed a secondary crater. But it was the sight of Tirek still in the size, and form Dusk and his friends found him in when they went to Tartarus, slowly staggering to his feet that had them all speechless. They expected him to have reverted to his old, withered form, and made completely powerless. Yet it appears his armor, and the dark powers he held, kept the essence he had in him beforehand safe, and his form in tact. The only difference was that his body was covered with scorches, and bruises. And even his cloak had been burned halfway. One of his eyes was shut tight. But it didn't stop him from sneering at the ones who had robbed him of the powers he had claimed before. A few moments later, and he staggered out of the hole he had been in. "Impressive." He growled bitterly. "It appears I have far more competition to worry about than I realized."

"Indeed." Dusk replied in response. "And now that you've lost all of the power you stole, and are completely outmatched, will you finally see reason, and leave in peace?"

Tirek's sneer only grew deeper as he eyes the alicorn. Neither breaking from their interlocked stare for even a moment. But then finally, Tirek sighed in defeat, and said, "Very well. I know when I have been bested. And since Cozy Glow, and her accursed spell have been neutralized, and you seem willing to let me leave.......I declare your end of our contract fulfilled, and our bargain complete." The very same contract they had forged appeared above Tirek's hand. And as though it were made of brittle matter, it crumbled into dust, and disappeared for good. "But know this, your 'majesty'," he spat out the word with venom, "this is only the beginning. All that has transpired on this day was to ensure my freedom, and escape - and you played your part completely to the letter. I have bested you numerous times already, and the next time we meet shall be no different! I will return to crush you, and your pathetic "Friends"........whatever race, or species they might be." He glared at the Young SIx, and they back at him. "I shall return, stronger than ever before. An indomitable force not even the power of Harmony alone can defeat. And Equestria's magic WILL. Be mine."

Dusk simply gave out a light 'hmph', and a smirk. "Only in your dreams, Tirek."

The centaur growled, "We will see." Then fired a spell near the left archway that opened a portal out into the everfree forest. With light grunts, he slowly walked over to the portal, passing by the pony guards who stood back in order to let him through. As he did, Discord wormed over next to Dusk, and whispered in his ear, "So......do I get to go after him? I can make up for last time."

"Sorry, but no, Discord." Dusk said quietly, and calmly. "I'd rather not risk his lying about the Oath being fulfilled just to get my head popped off the minute he's caged." Discord quietly whined, but then nodded in agreement, and understanding. Celestia, and Luna overheard, and agreed with that logic, as much as they despised it. However, it wasn't as important as seeing to the safety of their ponies.

By this time, the fires had begun to die down, and peace had seemingly returned. Tirek remained livid as his magic continued healing his body. He was no longer limping, and his bruises had begun fading. Once in the everfree, he could begin regaining his strength by feeding on whatever he could find with strong magic. This was nothing but a minor inconvenience, and he would treat it exactly as such. However, right as he was about to reach the portal, he felt something small grip onto his left leg. It was the weakened Cozy Glow, who had just regained consciousness, slipped past the guards, and stopped the centaur from leaving. She was quite distraught despite just waking up, given what Tirek had done, and planned to do to her previously. Now, there was just one thing she needed to know, more than anything else. "Please....sir......just tell me! Did-.........did I have........any real part to play.....in any of this?"

Tirek looked down on her like an insect, and with a harsh coldness, simply said, "No." The response broke the little fillies heart, and left her whimpering, and quivering in despair. Tirek paid her no mind, and continued trekking to his portal. A fierce, stoic expression on his face as he passed through to the other side of the region. The solemn pledge of his return fresh on everyone's minds as they saw him disappear into the fiery window, and out of the school. A collective sigh of relief passed over the courtyard, and all who were there could finally relaxed. Ironically, in the aftermath of so much chaos, it was Discord who presented the best idea anyone's had all day.

"So, uh.....would anyone care to exposit over a very large banquet meal breakfast?"

Author's Note:

Definitely more intense than the original, but i actually enjoyed it.

I wanted to carry as much essence of the original as possible, but go my own route with this part. Now I imagine that Dusk is alot more emotional than Twilight, and can react with a bit more anger than she does - especially when it comes to betrayal.

I also wanted to make it clear that it IS possible that Cozy might be a warped brat, even before making penpals out of Tirek. But I like to think that he did influence her perspective, and way of thinking in order to become his agent against Twilight. In this, that's exactly what it was. Tirek pretty much twisted her mind, and molded her into the wicked mindset she is most known for. She was probably already pretty volatile before, and Tirek took advantage of it.

I also felt like making her his first 'test subject' to see if the Unbreakable Oath works - which she basically proved it did. Also, we can see how Tirek can control the power of the Oath-contract at will, should the need arise. Or, of course, if his client reneges on the bargain.

That just lead to another epic fight between Tirek, and the other Ponies....which obviously ended badly for them. But both Discord, and even more surprisingly, Chancellor Neighsay stepped up to the plate to face him. And they did pretty well for a time, until he stopped toying with them. Because I STILL believe that once Tirek reaches his fourth form, he surpasses Discord in power. And with Cozy's help, he's been learning how to actually use his magic in versatile ways. It's just that the more powerful he gets, the more his potential for affecting reality grows.

Then once again, our boy Dusk has to come, and play the hero. But I also decided to have him try, and do a double play as was done with Starlight Glimmer in Season 5: since physical force won't save the day, maybe appealing to Tirek's better nature may get him to back down, and consider joining their side. Even uses Scorpan as the basis for his case, and for a while it did seem to work. But then Tirek's true colors came through, and he shows just how strong someone's hate can be when a person they love dearly betrays them. Though in his case, his inner darkness shines through, giving further hint to a greater threat emerging.

Thankfully, the Student Six seem quite capable in handling things, and revert Tirek back to the way he was when this story began.

The reason he didn't turn back into an old, frail weakling is because the armor he wears protected him. It's deprived of a very powerful magic, and not even The Neo Elements, as Pinkie called them, can undo its power alone. So the best the kids could do was force him to release the magic he consumed throughout the story. The main six are presented their successors, and Tirek survives his ordeal, with the opportunity to go off, and lick his wounds - and make sure he wasn't lying about the contract, and risk getting Dusk killed.

Now, there's just one last part of this story left, and it will lead straight into the Season 9 Redux.

Hope you all enjoy!:D