• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,748 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,748

PreviousChapters Next
The Splendor That Was Roam

Giles' lance had drawn the short straw again, for the last reach and the approaching descent into Roamish airspace. The Princess's Bit had spent the night racing over the darkened Bitalian swamps and farm-lots that had replaced the open waters when they'd come to the eastern end of the Inland Sea. They'd passed over the coast just as the Princess's sun had just finished falling somewhere over the western end of that near-endless stretch of salty waters, and the dark hours had been the business of the troopers of Baker Troop.

With the dawn had come the hoof-over, and Apple Troop had set up a lance every hour on the hour to fly a combat air patrol in front of, and on the approaching vectors around, the Bit in the morning light. The easterly light of the Duchess's sun had cast the long shadows of farmhouses and vineyards across the foreign land streaking below, but now the countryside was being left behind, and City was taking their place.

The ensign had taken Giles aside, and ordered him in the pre-dawn hours to get his griffons shined up and polished. They'd worked feverishly to get their enchantment gems sparkling, and the cloth of their best uniforms properly charged. Because they were to be the last combat air patrol before the Bit arrived at her anchorage, the CAP that greeted the City Herself.

And the Equestrian anchorage in Roam was over the embassy, in the heart of the City, at the crest of a steep hill facing the central heights which held the vast, sprawling palace which was the Imperial seat and the centre of all. As the Bit's engines ran at full reverse speed, the great bulk of the light carrier decelerated smartly, leaving Giles and his troopers to break and separate, like a blooming flower in front of the ship's bow over the streets and buildings below.

The great imperial City spread all around the grounds of the embassy like the fifth wonder of the world that she was, or so Lieutenant Martin Gale had explained to her corporals and lance corporals the night before.

Gwaine had whispered to Giles the rumor that Martin Gale had indulged in this uncharacteristic bit of education for the senior enlisted, as an excuse to skip out on the last diplomatic dinner in the officer's mess. Giles had no idea if this was the truth, or just a vicious slur on the lieutenant's good name.

Since the lieutenant didn't have any good to her name, he figured it didn't matter much.

But dodging her social responsibilities, or just making sure that Martin Gale's griffons didn't embarrass her before the watching eyes of antiquity, it didn't really matter to Giles. Because the stiff-winged old buzzard had chosen to lecture her griffons, Giles was able to put a name to that glittering mass of marble and roofing tile and ancient stone. The Domus Garañón, re-built by the founder of the current dynasty and re-named as was their right. The gold and purple and white marbles had been a donation of the Duch- no, the Princess Celestia and her stone-masons, to the new dignities of the revived Imperium.

The marbles had been put to use by Perronese workers, and Rocinantean architects, and other strange, foreign names that Giles only half-remembered after a night of strange dreams. The pegasus mare's main point had been that the court into which they were delivering the Bit's payload of Equestrian diplomats was the result of Equestrian patronage of the ancient, doddering empire.

The signs of the decay of the once-mighty Roamish Empire were visible in every direction that was not the palatial hill in front of which the light carrier now came to a complete stop. The palace herself was new, and glittering, and rich, and beautiful, but the tumbledown neighborhoods stretching in every other direction were more… like old Trottingham, than the stolid red-tile-roofed prosperity of Barkalona. Giles' sharp eagle eyes could pick out the collapsed roofs and rotting, abandoned buildings that spoke of deep-down, generational poverty everywhere he looked that was not the Domus Garanon, or however you pronounced that.

Giles spotted the great city's airborne guard, as they approached from the northwest. He directed his first file to help the sailors with the mooring sheets, and told off his second file to follow him. He and his troopers rose on a thermal rising above an unusually warm building just north of the Equestrian embassy, to greet the representatives of the garrison.

However late they were in approaching the huge aerial warship that had gotten within storming distance of the heart of Empire without challenge.

"Hail Celestia, Protector of the Imperium!" shouted the foremost armored bird as the strange band of griffons stooped to meet Giles and his glittering troopers. The lance-sized unit broke lazily around Giles and his file, as the shouty bird backed his wings and came into a hover in front of Giles.

"Hail the Emperor, Donkey Hotay, third of his name!" responded Giles, with the ritual words that the lieutenant and the ensign had drilled into him. "The Equestrian Sixth Guards brings his Imperial Majesty the new Equestrian envoy from her Royal Highness, the Princess Celestia, and her Court!"

"Wonderful!" said the other griffon, as he grinned widely. His feathers were poorly groomed, and stuck out slightly from under his heavy helm. "I'm Lieutenant Grigario, of the Eagle Guard. Good to have an Equestrian representative in the city again. You… wouldn't know if the new ambassador brought the year's tribute?"

The lieutenant had explained that the enormous subsidies which Princess Celestia used to underwrite the newly revived imperial pretensions of her client, the Emperor of Roam, were technically and pompously referred to by its recipients as 'tribute'.

She hadn't mentioned that the garrison troops in the city were likely to be griffons, nor that they would speak with an accent like… well, the master sergeant's. Nor that their armour was likely to be tarnished where it wasn't spotting with rust.

"I certainly wouldn't know about that sort of thing, lieutenant, sir."

"Come on, tom, your name, now!" the slovenly Griffonstonian said, insistently.

"I am Lance Corporal Giles, if you must. May I escort you onto the ship? My troop commander would be able to speak to these matters."

"What, you're enlisted? Dressed like that? What do they pay you birds?"

"Again, sir, my lieutenant would be the one you'd want to talk to about that."

"Ha! Aren't you a boring bird. Fine, take me to your leader, Jeeves."

"Giles, sir. This way, if you would."

Giles twitched his wings, and his file-leaders directed the Crystal troopers in a smoothly executed move to envelope the mercenary griffs of this so-called 'Eagle Guard'. Giles couldn't follow behind the supposed 'officer' as a good NCO ought, but only because he was obliged to lead the garrison soldiers to where Lieutenant Martin Gale was standing, placidly, below in the griffon's nest atop the Bit's envelope.

Let the lieutenant deal with these birds. Giles had some things to think about.

Among other things, how this Griffonstonian tom compared with that Prench officer in Barkalona. How could the same 'Empire' contain both officers at the same time? One had been just a pony, but protective of his district's dogs and griffons. The other… made Giles ashamed of his beak and bone.

And yet, the one was a simple provincial officer, and the other a lieutenant of the Guard in the Imperial capital. Well, a guard, and really, what was in a name?

How could you call yourself a guardsgriff, if you weren't worthy of the name?

And with griffons like Lieutenant Grigario taking the Princess's bit, what would it take to keep griffons from looking at him and his, and seeing that slovenly mercenary smiling greasily back at them?


"Fife, wake them- oh, hello, Ensign Fuse. I see we don't need to get the bucket of piss." Gilda frowned thoughtfully down at the most junior of the squadron's ensigns.

"Oi! I don't keep buckets' ov piss in my nice neat brig!" yelped the earth-pony jailer.

"Shut up, Fife. Go look in at our other guest."

"Guest? Wot guest? I keep a nice orderly correctional institution 'ere, serjant! None ov that mockery, I ask you!"

"Shut up, Fife, and bugger off."

"Yes, serjant. Buggerin' ovv."

"Right, Fuse? What were you thinking?"

"You met me, Master Sergeant Gilda? You seen my jacket, haven't you?"

"Are you the sum of your records, Ensign Fuse?"

"Looks like, don't it? What made any of you think I was 'diplomatic dinner' material?"

Gilda almost sighed. He wasn't wrong. They'd tried to cycle through the officers, to keep the diplomats amused, but they'd gone one too many ensigns, it would seem.

"Do you have regrets?"

"Do I have regrets? Sarge, I am nothing but regrets. I regrets not being able to apply to the Wonderbolts. I regrets being assigned to the 14/3rd instead of the second or first or the squadron of some other regiment that didn't get sent to the buckin' birdy isles! I regrets getting half-cashiered, and told I was good for nothin' but the jumped-up imaginary regiment of a pet of the princess's! I regrets-"

"Fuse, shut the buck up. That wasn't an invitation to free associate. Are. You. Willing. To. Apologize?"

"What? Oh, buck, yeah. If I can get through the apology without decking him again."

"Let's see, then," Gilda said, and turned the key in the cell-door's lock.

Ironically enough, the diplomat was still dozing when they turned to the much nicer cell at the front of the section they'd built out into a brig. And he stank of booze.

Gilda looked back at her nominal superior officer, and shrugged, dismissing him with the wordless wave of a wing.

"Your lieutenant should be out of the infirmary, and ready for duty."

"What lieutenant is that? Baker is still being run by us ensigns."

"Didn't she tell you? Lieutenant Lulamoon wants you for her battery. You're to move into the artillery's quarters. Go get your shit. I'll deal with your drunken opposite number, here.

"Go on, you little dweeb, get!"

Gilda shrugged the snoring unicorn over her shoulder, and went to go find the ambassador before the diplomatic delegation escaped the ship and left their alcoholic liability in the rueful possession of the Guard.


Sadly, Gilda failed to find the diplomats before they'd decamped. By the time she'd tracked down the major and the ambassador, they'd fetched up in the ambassador's new office.

Which, honestly speaking, put Government House back in Trottingham to shame. The wainscotting was some obscenely rich looking carmel-colored wood with beautiful grain, carved by some clever talon or hoof into delicate mythological friezes. There were ivory stands the size of small ponies in each corner, likewise scrimshaw'd into fragile-looking artwork in some savage style beyond Gilda's narrow base of experience or limited capacity for art-appreciation. The rest of the office was likewise extravagant and intimidatingly expensive-looking.

"-can't believe somepony laid out for this- this- waste!" the major was hyperventilating. "I've been to the Palace in Canterlot, the Princess doesn't surround herself with this sort of excess! Who authorized all of this- this- taxpayer abuse!"

"I really couldn't tell you, Major Shield," drawled the middle-aged orange unicorn. "You do realize that this is my first posting to the Superb Ouverture? I didn't lay out the bits for any of this. However much I approve of it."

"Approve of it! It's grotesque!"

"My dear major, this is what the courtiers of the Imperial Court expect of Equestrians. We are, after all, made of bits." The ambassador turned to acknowledge Gilda's existence, facing towards her and her burden. "Ah, the royal sergeant!"

Gilda snorted in offense.

"What may I do for your dubious excellency, master sergeant? We are, as you might have noticed, somewhat busy."

"Your Excellency, ma'am. You left so quickly, you seem to have forgotten some of your baggage," Gilda said. "Perhaps you might tell me where I might deposit this particular parcel. I haven't had a chance to go through the rest of your delegation's quarters on the Bit, to make sure you haven't forgotten anything else. Like, perhaps, the subsidies we were transporting for you."

"As if I'd forget the subsidies! They're my entire purpose for being here!" exclaimed Ambassador Flare. "If I dared present myself to his Imperial Majesty without the bits, I'd be summarily executed!"

"I rather doubt that, ma'am," drawled Gleaming Shield. "After all, if they kill an Equestrian ambassador, I'm fairly sure the princess would never send another 'tribute' again. And the Emperor's well-armed neighbors would swoop in and execute him in turn."

"Yes, yes, to put another donkey on the throne that would keep the subsidies flowing, but it'd be too late for me, wouldn't it? Yes, master sergeant, I'd like my bits, please."

"I'll be sure to send you a well-armed guard, with a reliable sergeant to keep them honest," Gilda promised, shifting the snoring drunk on her shoulder. She trusted Gustav to stay bought by the honor they'd ladled on his aged, one-winged shoulders. "Meanwhile, where can I decant this wine-skin you left in our brig?"

"Right back where you found him, master sergeant!" the ambassador said, smiling. "Mr. Blush's employment has been terminated. He was told that this was his last chance, and he chose to take it, didn't he? I don't care what you do with him. Pour him into the alley out back. Throw him into the Terrier River. Sell him to the garrison out at Castel d'Aramaspi for their meat-larder. I honestly do not care. He is no longer my responsibility."

"Gilda, let it go," Gleaming said, repressively. "Bringing the topic back to what we were talking about, Your Excellency. We cannot stay as long as you've requested. It's completely out of the question. We're on a very tight schedule, and I cannot spare three weeks to 'show the banner', whatever that might mean. And anyways, aren't you putting the trooper before the chariot? You haven't even presented your credentials!"

"What do you think all this is, Major Shield?" the ambassador waved a hoof at the enormous, beautifully carved desk she sat behind. Which was covered quite impressively with half-unrolled scrolls and scraps of paper. "The return of my predecessor did not end the importunities of the Superb Ouverture upon our credit and arms. And I do not have the surplus 'subsidies' to afford a proper mercenary army to send up into the Roamagna to cow the Bulldognese into a proper acknowledgement of their Imperial allegiances."

"That is not my problem, Your Excellency. Imperial politics is not the business of the Crystal Guard. We delivered you and your funds intact - or we will as soon as Gilda and I return to the Bit and get your bits out of the vault. That's the whole and complete mission that the governor-general of Fort Bing forced upon me, no more, no less. I will not be bulled into one thing after another like this. I have obligations!"

"You will concede that an Equestrian ambassador to the Imperial Court outranks a mere governor-general of a humble EUP port fortress!"

"I do not concede. There are many alleged imperiums in the world, and the old Roamish court only has precedence due to age and their peculiar ability to survive disasters that would have swamped greater kingdoms. And the governor-general had paperwork from Canterlot giving him the right to divert us onto this sub-mission. And it was in our general direction, anyways. Now you ask me to neglect the very purpose which sent my regiment out this way! I won't do it."

"But Major, if you could only see it my- oh, master sergeant, you're still here. Please take that sot out of my presence. He's no longer an employee, and his security clearance is revoked. Good day!"

"But-" Gilda objected.

"No! This conversation is over, until you get him out of here! I think he's waking up."

Gilda looked over her shoulder at the little horse as he dozed on. "I don't think-"

"Master sergeant! You're not paid to think! Take him away! Now!"

"Your Excellency," the major drawled again, a dangerous look in her eyes. "You do not, in point of fact, pay my sergeant at all. Only I have the right to order Gilda about."

And the major turned to Gilda. "Sergeant, please take the prisoner back to the brig. We'll figure out something we can do with a discharged diplomat. I will return to the Bit shortly."

Gleaming Shield smiled, dangerously, turning back to the almost-ambassador. "If I do not return shortly, send a fully armed troop to retrieve me. Tell them they won't have to be gentle if they have to come. Go on, Gilda. I've got this under control."

Gilda left, hauling her burden of inebriated diplomacy back to where she'd found him in the first place.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate and the general Company.

PreviousChapters Next