• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 681 Views, 6 Comments

The Tale of Gearbox - nature of force



the adventures of one Gear Box the earth pony

  • ...
 6
 681

a threat is made good

"Alright, now where were we?" asked the old steel grey stallion as he looked at eh young griffin sitting before him

"You had just gone to bed after your first day grandpa", said the young one.

"Well, i think it may be best to continue before you burst with question little one" said the old stallion, his eyes misting over.

----------------------

As Gearbox awoke he looked around at his disheveled workshop he sighed and began picking things up and putting tools back in their proper place. About half way through his work the bell above his door jingled softly singaling someone entering.

Warily going to the door to see who it was. As he approached he woried it would be the unicorn from the previous day to amek good on his threat.

With a sigh of relife Gearbox saw that it was a mint colored female pegesus looking around with curiosity. When she saw him her eyes lit up nd she smiled, "are you the Engineer that makes the steam engines?" she asked hopefully.

"That i am" he replied. "How can i help you today? if-

---------------------

"Grandpa can you skip this part, it sounds boring" whined the young griffin.

With a confused look on his face he stutered"W-what? this is an improtant part of the story, be quite. Now, as i was sa-"

the little griffin was bouncing with excitement at this point, making his desires known "that's just normal stuff, i want to hear about your adventures! fighting dragons, and the old kingdom and-"

frustrated the old pony groaned "urgh, fine, fine. now back to the story."

---------------------

A year had gone by since Gearbox opended his workshop, it was now quite a renowned establishment in the city and as such he was always on guard against attack from the unicorn who had frightened him enough to go against his pacifying equine nature to forge a weapon. The weapon that now sat unused in his desk gathering dust.

It was now, on the anniversary of his first day that he arose and looked over his shoulder and saw his wife laying there, incedentally she had been the first one to ever buy any of his engines. He had asked he to dinner that day, and things had gone from there as they tend to do with these things.

Smiling he kissed the top of her head lovingly and got out of bed to start cleaning up the shop.

Not much had changed in the little shop. Looking around one wouldn't suspect that the steam engine produced in this small workshop powered a fair chunk of the homes in the city.

With a soft jingle the door opened Gearbox began making his way to the door walking around machines when he reached the door what he saw froze him in his tracks. Standing there at the front of his shop was that unicorn stallion wearing an evil smirk as more ponies poured in after him.

"Well well well. it would seem as if you have endangered my business", he said in that horrible snide voice of his and he lit up his horn. "I believe you know what that means, don't you"

Feeling the magic bind him in place Gearbox paled as he strained to move his limbs. All the while the group of ponies around him laughed

"Go, burn the place to the ground" said the unicorn, and at his command the other ponies split up and begane pouring flammable liquid over everything.

Gearbox's mind was on one thing and one thing only, his wife, still laying in bed sleeping peacefully. A shrill scream echoed thought the shop as they found her

One of the thugs brought her forward and the unicorn looked at her, "well what have we here? Someone else that's a threat? Well we can't have that now can we?" he said coldly "what to do with you...perhaps i could let her go" at that Gearbox felt a flare of hope in his chest, she might yet live if he cooperated.

"I release you from this ordeal" said the unicorn as his horn flashed. When the light died down where once his wife had been was now oly a scorch mark. As Gearbox looked at the scorch mark he felt himself break. His mind snapped.

With a look of scorn the unicorn mentioned for his men to leave. With that done he looked at Gearbox and smiled an evil smile. and said "why don't you try fixing this" as a single spark shot from his horn to the recesses of the shop. with a large FWOOSH confirming ignition he left and released the spell on Gearbox but not before barring the door, ensuring his demise.

First Gearbox ran to the spot where his wife had been, checking to confirm his fears...they were true, she was gone. There would be time to mourn later but now he had to escape, and avenge his wife.

Looking around for something he could use, he grabbed a small steam engine and his transmuter tool. fighting the heat he quickly made his way to his desk he pulled the drawer open and activated his weapon, with a whir it attached itself to his shoulder, eliciting a cry of intense pain as the hot metal bonded to his flesh and becoming one with his mind.

Loading the weapon he faced the door and with his mind sent an order to the small machine fire. With that one thought a blue mave of force rolled out of the barrel obliterating the wall and allowing him to escape

Once out of the flames he looked around. His emotion caught up to him and as he saw his shop burn to the ground, and thought of his wife he fell to the ground and wept, he wept for all he had lost, he wept for the loss of his beloved wife, and, though he didn't know it, his sanity.

scant minutes passed before he heard it. the whistle of a steam engine that had ruptured. his eyes widened realizing what was about to happen he fled. before he could even rise the workshop exploded with force enough to knock out the hardy earthpony before he could feel the searing heat of boiling water splash on his body

-----------------

when he woke he looked around and saw he was in a strange white room that had a "sterile" feel to it. then with a suddenness he had yet to experience, his memories crashed into his mind and the tears began to flow again.

Comments ( 1 )

hey i made a story about my pony gear box i...... ocward:rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment