• Published 7th Jul 2019
  • 1,180 Views, 95 Comments

Star Trek: Equestria: Starfleet Academy Season 1 - Captain_Cosmos



MLP and Star Trek come together with a dash of romance and a giant cup of inspiration from Star Trek Online

  • ...
 95
 1,180

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 20: It’s a Pony Kind of Christmas: pt 2

On Equuis, in Canterlot on a nice winter Sunday. Nightlight and Velvet were in their living room, playing with their granddaughter Flurry Heart. Nightlight lit his horn and made a quill sneak behind Flurry to gently poke her left shoulder, Flurry turned to the left and saw nothing there. Confused, she turned to the right and saw the quill. Once her eyes lay on the quill, Velvet said in a squeaky voice. "Boo!" Nightlight then proceeded to use the quill to tickle Flurry right where it was most ticklish, causing Flurry to laugh.

Velvet watched her granddaughter laugh and smiled warmly. "Glad to see we can still use that trick."

Nightlight nodded. "Hopefully we'll be able to use it for a lot longer."

Velvet giggled. "Well if things with Twilight and Jessica work out well enough, we might have a grandfoal or two from them soon enough."

Nightlight nodded. "Indeed. So, when is your sister coming?"

"She and Thunderhoof with their son will be here in a few hours, your brother?"

"Few hours with Sunny Crisp and their daughter."

Velvet smiled. "Good. That means we'll have time to break the news to them about our Twily's girlfriend's...issue."

Nightlight nodded. "Poor kid, she's dealing with something she never asked for and there's nothing we can do about it."

Velvet nodded. "Yeah."

All of a sudden, they both heard a beep coming from Flurry's combadge, followed by their daughter's voice. "House Sparkle this is Crystal One, come in House Sparkle."

Nightlight chuckled as he responded. "House Sparkle here. If we're hearing your voice that means you're close. From what we understand of these combadge things."

"You're right. We are about five minutes away."

Velvet smiled. "Good. Jessica's with you guys right?"

They heard Jessica's voice respond. "Right here guys."

Nightlight smiled. "Jessica. We're glad you were able to come spend Hearths warming with us."

"Thanks for inviting me. From what I heard Hearths Warming with the Sparkles is never boring."

Velvet chuckled. "That's a fact. And you'll see why soon enough."

"Looking forward to it."

Nightlight nodded. "Just be ready for a lot of magic flying around. You'll be staying in a house with seven Unicorns. Three Alicorns, an Earth Pony, and a Pegasus."

"Thanks for the heads up. But I knew what I was signing up for when I decided to act on my feelings for Twilight. Don't worry about me."

"Jessica, you are about to face a very powerful Alicorn princess who has an even bigger grudge against the demon in your head than Celestia." Velvet deadpanned. "Of course we're worried about your safety dear!"

They heard Jessica chuckle. "I appreciate the concern—"

Twilight cut her off. "But Jessica has all the protection she needs. We'll be fine. Anywho we're coming up on the castle so we'll see you soon. Crystal One out."

The connection was cut as Velvet and Nightlight lifted an eyebrow at each other, while Flurry enveloped the badge in her magic and levitated it in front of her, examining it.

"Did she just hang up on us?"

"Did you just hang up on your folks Twi?" Applejack asked when the connection was cut.

Twilight nodded. "I'm already nervous enough as it is about what's about to happen and I really don't need them reminding me that there could very well be a tragedy in the very, VERY near future."

Jessica reached out and wrapped her arms around Twilight in a comforting hug. "It'll be ok Twilight. Remember that we also have princess Celestia on our side. I'm certain that she'll step in if Princess Luna tries anything."

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah. And if she isn't around. The rest of us aren't afraid to throw a few punches. Right guys?"

The gang all voiced their agreement, leaving Twilight dumbfounded. "You are all suggesting attacking Princess Luna?!"

Rara shook her head. "No. We're suggesting putting ourselves between her and Jessica. If she wants to destroy Jessica to destroy Nightmare Moon, she's going to have to blast through us."

Everyone in the shuttle voiced their agreement. Jessica stared at them with a smile creeping on her face. There sat ten Equestrians who were willing to go up against one of their monarchs for a girl they had only met 4 months ago. Though that became clear when Princess Celestia came to visit the Academy, she still had trouble believing it. She was about to say something when all of a sudden, NM appeared. "I did not realize that all of you would be willing to go against the Princesses for my safety."

Twilight shot NM a very angry glare as she lit her horn. "We, are willing to go against them for JESSICA'S safety!"

Cadance nodded as her own horn lit up. "And the fact that you are using an innocent being as a shield, a being who has NEVER heard of you until 4 months ago...somepony open the hatch!"

Fluttershy, who was nearest to the hatch, pressed the button and the hatch opened. Cadance and Twilight both captured NM in their magical auras. "Now everyone get clear, this one's going flying."

Everyone stepped out of the way as Cadance and Twilight both blasted NM out the hatch, sending her into the sky. Fluttershy closed the hatch as soon as NM was clear and everypony stared at the door, then back at the two alicorns.

Twilight shook her head. "Ugh. I swear, if we don't find a way to get rid of her soon, I'm gonna lose it."

Cadance nodded. "How can you even tolerate her?"

Jessica chuckled. "Well, it helps that we've now found a way to limit her ability to be a nuisance. Now we can actually focus on getting rid of her for good."

Spike nodded. "And if I remember correctly, Prince Celestia has been searching for some kind of containment spell that could further inhibit her ability."

Twilight nodded. "Yeah. So hopefully she's found a way."

Jessica nodded. "Because it could mean our sanity."

Celestia was walking the corridors of the castle, headed towards the landing bay, where Crystal One was set to set down in. She heard hoofsteps coming up behind her and looked to see her sister Luna trot up next to her.

Luna smiled. "Is Crystal One here yet?"

Celestia shook her head. "Not yet. But it should be here soon. The look on your face suggests that you are excited."

Luna blushed with embarrassment. "I might be a tad excited to see the Elements of Harmony and Friends again. As well as to meet their first Human friend. From what you have told me, she seems like an exceptional young lady."

Celestia chuckled. "You should've seen Twilight throughout my visit. She was afraid that I would vaporize Jessica."

Luna arched an eyebrow. "Vaporize her? What does thou mean by that?"

Celestia's eyes widened as she realized what she just said. Celestia sighed. "Luna, there is something else about her that you should know."

Luna eyed Celestia. "If you are not smiling anymore dear sister then this is something I will not like is it."

Celestia nodded. "You see, Jessica has—"

Luna's eyes widened as she spread her wings and lit her horn, sensing a presence that she did not think she would sense ever again. "NIGHTMARE MOON!!!"

Luna took off towards the landing bay, with Celestia galloping at full speed after her. "Luna! Wait! Allow me to explain!"

In the landing bay, Crystal One has just landed and it's hatch opened. Allowing its passengers to disembark. Sunset stepped down the ramp and took in a deep breath and let it out, smiling. "Ah. Anypony else smell that? It's the smell of home."

Applejack nodded. "Sure is good to be home. Even if it's just for a while."

Twilight nodded. "Yeah. I'm so excited—"

"NIGHTMARE MOON!!!" Everypony heard roaring through the bay, twilight looked to the door and realized what was coming.

Twilight sighed. "So much for that. Sunset, Starlight, Shields up! Everyone else behind us!"

Sunset, Starlight, and Twilight all lit their horns and assumed defense postures as everyone else got behind them. The three ponies raised a shield wall just as they saw princess Luna burst through the doors and immediately fire of beam of magic that collided with the wall. Twilight and her friends grunted at the force of the impact, but held firm.

Luna continued to fire the beam as she screamed in the Royal Canterlot Voice. "I DO NOT KNOW HOW THOU ARE STILL ALIVE, BUT REST ASSURED THAT I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO HARM ANYPONY EVER AGAIN NIGHTMARE MOON!!!"

Sunset gritted her teeth. "Well that didn't take long."

Starlight nodded. "I don't think this one will be as easy as Celestia."

Twilight nodded. "Yeah. We better come up with something quick!"

"LUNA! CEASE THIS ATTACK THIS INSTANT! YOU ARE ENDANGERING TWELVE INNOCENT LIVES IN YOUR RAGE!!" Celestia came charging through the door and shot a bolt of magic straight at Luna's beam. The bolt collided with the beam and immediately canceled it, much to Luna's disbelief. She watched as Celestia positioned herself between Luna and the wall, horn glowing and staring at Luna.

Luna stared at her sister in shock. "Tia, What is the meaning of this! Do you not sense the demon present?!"

Celestia nodded. "I do actually, I have known about Nightmare Moon for the past few weeks now."

Luna gasped at this revelation. "And you did not think to TELL ME?!"

Celestia shook her head. "Had you not flown off on a rampage, I would have explained it to you. Fortunately Twilight, Sunset, and Starlight were prepared for this."

Twilight nodded as she Sunset and Starlight dropped the shield. "I can assure you Princess Luna, everything you have been told about Jessica Cosmos is true. She is only the unfortunate host to Nightmare Moon's spirit."

Luna growled. "Unfortunate is not the same as unwilling."

Before anyone could make another sound, Fluttershy gasped and flapped her wings to bring her muzzle to muzzle with Luna. Giving her an angry glare. "Are you accusing Jessica of conspiring with Nightmare Moon based solely on the fact that you sense the demon within her?! Are you really that stupid?!"

Everyone gasped at Fluttershy, surprised that the usually shy and timid pony directed the word stupid to a princess. Fluttershy continued, ignoring the gasps. "For your information, Princess Luna. Jessica has been nothing but kind, caring, and welcoming to us since we arrived on her homeworld. She's helped us adapt to life on Earth and has gladly taken twilight and Spike into her home without issue. She's only the unfortunate victim in this. Nightmare Moon forcibly invaded her mind after hiding out in Twilight's mind for three years. After having anchored to her after we blasted her out of YOU. She never asked for NM to occupy her mind and she certainly didn't ask to be SHOT AT because of it. So Don't you dare accuse her of conspiring with evil based solely on what you can sense! If you had actually tried TALKING to her instead of just outright shooting at her, then you'd see that she actually is everything you've probably been told. And not NM in disguise!" Fluttershy turned around and flapped back to where she was next to Rainbow, muttering in the process. "I knew this wasn't going to go well. We should've just went straight to Ponyville."

Everyone stared at Fluttershy. Eyes widened and mouths agape at what had just transpired. Fluttershy, the shy and timid pony, just told off a princess of Equestria!

Cadance, being the first to recover from her shock, cleared her throat. "Ahem, I, uh, guess that sums it all up."

Rainbow shook her head clear, and stared at her marefriend. "Flutters, what the hay was that?!"

Fluttershy smiled sheepishly. "I, just hate when ponies judge others without meeting them proper."

Rainbow's eyes nearly twitched. "Yeah. But dude, you just told off a princess of Equestria!"

Fluttershy's irises suddenly shrank as she realized just what she did. "Oh, oh...OH MY GOSH I DID! I'm so sorry your majesty!" Fluttershy quickly took flight and zipped away, tears quickly flowing down her cheeks.

Rainbow watched her go and sighed. "Flutters!" She turned to the others. "I'll go after her. It's nice to see you again your majesties, and sorry about Fluttershy." Rainbow zipped off after Fluttershy.

Celestia came out of her own shock, and slowly approached the still shocked Luna. "Lulu, rest assured that we are trying everything we can to destroy Nightmare Moon, but we cannot sacrifice another life to do so."

Luna looked to her sister, then to Jessica, who was still crouched own behind twilight, then back to Celestia. "You trust her?"

Celestia nodded. "There is substantial evidence that Jessica has qualities equal to five elements of harmony. If Twilight trusts her enough to be courted by her, if all of them—" She gestured to the Equine cadets. "—are willing to go against us in her defense, then I believe that we can trust her. Besides, if she WERE Nightmare Moon in disguise, do you not think that she would try to go as far away from here as possible?"

Luna froze as she came to one conclusion instantly, it would make no sense for Nightmare Moon to come here where she would surely be destroyed, not without some sort of protection. Slowly, Luna realized that Nightmare Moon did. In the form of the mind of a girl from another world. 'Grah! Consarn it Luna! You let your anger cloud your judgement again. And this time it almost resulted in tragedy.'

After a moment, Luna sighed. "You are correct sister, the demon would indeed not come to this planet unless she knew she would be safe from our wrath. Which is unfortunately the case now."

Rarity nodded. "Believe me your majesty, none of us are happy with this situation. NM is using our friendship and morals against us. It is simply distasteful.

Spike nodded. "But rest assured that we are fighting her at every opportunity. We've already found a way to limit her power, and we think we have an idea as to how to get rid of her for good."

Luna arched an eyebrow. “Have you not considered the Elements of Harmony?”

Celestia shook her head. “The effects they would have on Jessica are currently unknown, and it was the consensus that they would serve as a last resort.”

Luna nodded. “I see.” Luna turned her attention to Jessica. “You, Jessica Cosmos. May I have a word with you? Alone?”

Twilight immediately shifted further in front of Jessica when she heard alone and Celestia eyed Luna. “Luna—”

Luna sighed. “Do not worry, I am not going to try anything. I only want to hear the girl’s perspective on all of this. If it shall make you feel better we will only be out of earshot, but not out of sight.”

Celestia looked to Twilight, who took a long look at Luna, before turning her head to nod at Jessica. Who nodded back and turned to Luna. “Uh, sure. We can talk in private your majesty.”

Luna nodded and she and Jessica put some distance between them and the others. Twilight turned to celestia. “Please tell me you found some sort of containment spell that can hinder Nightmare Moon. Our current solution will only work for so long.”

Celestia nodded. “I did find spell, and it does indeed require some sort of pendent to work.“

Twilight smiled. “Fortunately I got just the thing.”

Celestia nodded. “The book is in my study. Once Luna and Jessica finish their conversation we can go there. The more casters that cast the spell, the more powerful it is.”

Twilight nodded. “So your gonna want me Sunset Starlight Cadance, Shining and Luna to assist you. Got it.”

Over to Luna and Jessica. Luna was the first to break the silence. “My sister has told me a lot about you Jessica Cosmos. You were the first person to welcome them to earth.”

Jessica nodded. “Yes your majesty. I was the welcome wagon, essentially.”

Luna continued. “How much do you know about Nightmare Moon?”

“She’s a thousand year old evil demigoddess who wants to destroy the sun and bring Eternal Night to the universe.”

Luna nodded. “And she was the product of my jealousy towards my sister, more specifically how ponies preferred her sun to my night.”

Jessica nodded. “Yeah. Twilight and I talked about that.”

Luna nodded. “After my banishment and afternoon the Elements of Harmony cleansed me of Nightmare Moon, it took a few years for me to forgive myself for what happened, longer than it took everypony else to do so. Eventually I did, and up until today I had believed that to be the end of it.”

Jessica nodded. “I’m pretty sure everyone believed that to be the end of it.”

Luna nodded. “And now I have nearly destroyed another life to destroy the evil that consumed me so long ago. The Element of Kindness was right. I should not have acted based solely on what I sensed. You did not deserve that kind of welcome. I am sorry Jessica.”

Jessica sighed. “Don’t worry about it princess. I knew what would happen if I came here with Nightmare Moon on my mind. But I’m not about to let fear run my life. Otherwise I wouldn’t have signed up with Starfleet. So, for the sake of the ease of nerves of everyone over there watching us nervously. What do you say we bury the hatchet and stat anew.”

Luna stared at Jessica with shock, Jessica didn’t blame her?! Without even realizing it, a smile slowly captured her muzzle as she nodded. “I believe that would be best.”

They both suddenly heard laughing. “Ha! Take that my ever so lovely Luna. Now you will not be able to do anything. Just like our pathetic older sister!”

The laughing dissipated, leaving Jessica to roll her eyes and Luna become worried. “Jessica. If I may, could I peer into your mind to see just how much influence the demon has over you?”

Jessica nodded. “Go right ahead. Maybe while you’re in there, you could tell that demon that she just used her one freebie and that she isn’t allowed to make a peep the rest of the holidays.”

Luna nodded and lit her horn, touching it to Jessica’s forehead.

Luna appeared within Jessica’s mind right next to Jessica. She turned her head to see the very thing she was looking for, Nightmare Moon, and she was bigger than the last time she saw her. Luna frowned. “Her influence is greater than I had imagined.”

Jessica turned to see Luna standing next to her and nodded. “She grows more powerful as she feeds on fear. My guess is that today’s meal was good.”

NM laughed. “Ha! I should thank you Luna, you provided an excellent meal just now. Now I am that much closer to total domination of this brat.”

Jessica gritted her teeth. “You stay away from my motor functions you demon!”

NM chuckled. “We shall see.”

Luna dimmed her horn and lifted it off Jessica, sighing in the process. “She is far less powerful than I thought she would be, but at the same time, her growth rate is faster than I would have imagined.”

Jessica nodded. “Yeah, if she’s talking about taking over my body then she must think that will happen soon.”

Luna nodded. “My sister has been in her study going through books since her return from earth. Perhaps she has found a way to delay that outcome.”

Jessica nodded. “She did say that she would search for a containment spell of some sort last we saw her.”

Luna nodded. “Then let us go and find out. So. We are agreed to start over and not be enemies?”

Jessica smiled and nodded. “Yes. I would very much like that.”

Jessica and Luna nodded in agreement and walked back over to the group, Twilight immediately enveloping Jessica in an almost clingy embrace and Luna looking around. “The demon’s influence over Jessica is increasing at an undesirable rate. Celestia, have you found a way to delay the demon?”

Celestia nodded. “I have. If everypony will follow me.”

To be continued.

Author's Note:

At last. Luna knows of NM’s return and has made peace with Jessica. Now twilight can stop worrying:rainbowlaugh:

PreviousChapters Next