• Published 23rd Apr 2019
  • 523 Views, 1 Comments

Fabricated Existence - Unknown Ficwriter



Learn the mysterious origins of Pinkie's third eldest sister. Maud Pie, a pony of few words but indomitable spirit.

  • ...
0
 1
 523

Suddenly Maud

"I'm glad you could drop by, I know Sugarcube Corner gets slammed with orders around this time of the month," Twilight apologized. With a playful raspberry Pinkie Pie joyfully stated that she'd always have time for her friends. Enamored by her simple reply, a brief smile grew across her lips before the matter at hoof sapped what little relief she felt.

Closing the door, Twilight joined Pinkie in the center of the library. The lively pink pony was currently examing the small piles of neatly stacked parchments. "Oh Twilight, if you need help sorting these all you had to do was ask. Although If Spike was here, I'd wager this wouldn't be a problem," she casually stated.

Wanting to delay the awkward conversation, Twilight inquire to what she meant. "When it comes to categorizing, you two compliment each other like the owie gooey center of a s'more," she replied excitedly bouncing in place. Although humbled, Pinkie's words unknowingly darkened her mood even further.

Thanking her for the compliment and assuring to pass her gracious words to Spike, Twilight informed her that it was a personal undertaking. Relaying the fact that it was to finally conclude Pinkie's lineage to the Apples. Despite the excitement welling up inside, she tried to play it cool by stating it really didn't matter.

Forcing a smile, Twilight commended her outlook as she levitated the top sheet to her. "As you've probably guessed by now, these stacks are all the research I've done. I searched extensively through several promising archives, unfortunately, I was unable to determine if either of your families is related," she somberly stated.

Levitating the page over to Pinkie who took it gingerly to read. Her eyes immediately went to the bottom right corner where they originally spotted the smudged name. Pinkie's heart sank as she stared at Twilight's scribbles of possible names, all of which were crossed out.

Pinkie could have accepted not being related to the Apple Family, so long as she discovered who she was related to. Yet, as she stared at the pristine branch of the tree she felt empty at the lack of information. Feeling her ears beginning to droop, she placed the document onto the table before trotting toward the door.

However, she paused as Twilight continued in the same tone. "Although that was the main reason for asking you here, I do have an alternative reason." Pinkie gulped while hypothesizing what the other reason might be. She slowly turned to come face to face with Twilight.

Not really knowing how to begin she simply said it was about Maud's lineage. Stating that she couldn't locate either birth or adoption certificate. Despite the uneasy feeling in her stomach she managed to speak with a semblance of normality. "Silly Twilight, are you suggesting that Maud isn't my sister."

Taken aback, Twilight hurriedly explained that she merely wanted to correct the grievous oversight in the documentation. "Alright, what do you need to know?" she replied in a rather strained voice.

"First, I need Maud's full name," Twilight stated.

"Maudileena Daisy Pie," Pinkie answered.

Date of birth was the next question, to which Pinkie answered as quickly as the first. After a while with no follow-up questions, Pinkie sighed. The tension in her body slowly began to fade as Twilight silently filled out the form. However, her declining anxiety returned as Twilight casually spoke out loud.

"Parents: Igneous Rock and Cloudy Quar...," a subtle but grating sound drew her attention to Pinkie. With brewing concern, she called out to her distressed friend. Startled, she halted her restless pawing of the floor to meet her gaze. "Maud's parents are Igneous and Cloudy, right," Twilight softly inquired.

Fighting the urge to exposit every withheld word, Pinkie averted her eyes. Annoyed by her sudden refusal, she took a therapeutic breath before trotting toward Pinkie. "What's wrong, why are you acting like this," she asked. Without turning around, she replied in a pained tone that she couldn't say.

Before Twilight could ask another question, the sound of shattering glass sounded behind her. A sharp "ow" from Pinkie and the soft tapping of an object against the floor soon followed. Both mares looked to the floor, curious to what had assaulted Pinkie.

"After spotting the rock, Twilight immediately darted outside in hopes of catching the perpetrator. After several minutes and odd glances from passerby ponies, Twilight reenter the library. The anger she felt immediately vanished as she noticed the state Pinkie was in.

Whatever words of comfort she wished to vocalize caught in her throat as she stopped beside her. Pinkie's body was a ghastly shade of grayish pink, hair completely deflated, while her gaze remained fixated on the rock. Twilight softly called to Pinkie but she remained petrified with fear.

Her befuddlement mounted as her gaze shifted from Pinkie to the rock and back. "What in Celestia's name is going on here," she muttered out loud. A soft yet stoic voice issued from behind her causing her to whipped around to see Maud standing in the doorway.

"Oh, hello Maud we were just talking about you," Twilight admitted while waving a hoof toward Pinkie Pie.

"I know, Boulder told me about your conversation before stopping by," Maud plainly stated.

Boulder, Twilight curiously repeated before everything fell into place. "Was it you that broke the window and stuck Pinkie in the head," she asked in an escalating tone of disbelief. Denying the accusation, she breezed past her to stand next to Pinkie and Boulder.

Noticing the condition she was in, not to mention the small swelling outline upon her cheek. Maud threw her hooves around Pinkie's neck and planted a gentle kiss upon her injury. Her action snapped her back to reality but didn't seem to improve her emotional wellbeing.

As she watched the sisters hug, Twilight couldn't help but regret her impulsive perfectionist. Only after they broke apart did she approach them. "I'm sorry Pinkie, I didn't know that this would cause you so much trama," she apologized. "It's alright, there was no way you could have known" Pinkie replied.

The rasp in her voice and dejected tone nearly drove Twilight to tears. Fighting to keep her voice steady, she asked Pinkie why she didn't object. Turning to face her, Twilight's heart skipped a beat as she stared into the red-watery eyes of the usually exultant mare.

"I just couldn't.. that would have warranted an explanation which would have infringed upon a pinkie promise," she droned. Recalling the value and commitment a pinkie promise conveyed, Twilight moved on to her next question.

"If you couldn't say anything then why did you indicate that Igneous and Cloudy wasn't Maud's parents?" she inquired.

"It was my hope that you'd fill that part out with your assumption but it was your casual mention of it that triggered my reaction," Pinkie admitted. Twilight cocked an eyebrow in confusion before asking for an explanation. "Everypony is entitled to their assumptions, even if they are incorrect. However, hearing said assumption and not correcting them is an omission of the truth which is still considered lying."

The sudden realization that she'd unknowingly cause the entire situation trampled her spirit. She wanted nothing more than to disappear as she initiated a teleportation spell. What was normally a spontaneous affair seemed to drag on due to her sporadic concentration.

Between her mental apologizes and self-berating, it wasn't a surprise that her spell was easily shattered with a simple touch and phrase. Standing in front of her was Pinkie with a small but visible smile. Unable to hold back the tears, they gushed down Twilight's cheeks and onto the floor.

Not giving her the chance to bolt, Pinkie embraced her tightly. Feeling unworthy of such kindness, she struggled for a moment. Yet, her efforts were in vain as her emotionally compromised mind opted for a good cry instead. "That's it let it all out," she cooed softly into her ear.

"I've caused you such distress yet you still embrace me as a friend, why," she managed to say through periodic fits of caterwauling.

"That's because you are my friend Twilight. Even the soundest friendships encounter rough patches from time to time but only true friendship survive the trip." Pinkie softly replied. While her sister tended to a vulnerable Twilight, Maud was busy conversing with Boulder. After several more minutes, Twilight slowly began to recompose herself.

"Boulder told me what he'd overheard but I'd like to hear how this started," Maud politely asked. Making her way back to the table, she explained the entire situation as she levitated the incomplete form to her. After a quick glance and a few murmurs to herself, she handed it back to Twilight before turning to face Pinkie.

"Do you think we can trust her," she bluntly asked. Although Pinkie immediately vouched for her trustworthiness, Twilight was flabbergasted that Maud had brought her character into questioning. Turning her gaze back to Twilight sent a slight chill up her spine. Maybe it was her imagination but Maud's gaze felt colder than usual.

"Pinkie says you can be trusted but there are some conditions that need to be met. First, we need a secluded room that is soundproof or at least easy to make soundproof. Secondly, I need you to pinkie promise that you'd never reveal to any being what you're about to hear," Maud sternly listed.

Intrigue flooded her mind as she held up a hoof and recited the words to a pinkie promise. "I cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye," her solemn words echoed throughout the library. Leading them into the basement, she locked the door, then erected a soundproof sphere around them.

Having done all that was required, Twilight faced them and with an impatient tone request that they started explaining. Pinkie Pie took a couple of steps forward and began to speak. Even though her hair was still limp the slight reversal of her grayscaled form caused Twilight to smile.

Pinkie explained that despite having two sisters, she felt like the odd foal out. The realization that she would never be as close as they were to each other made her sad. She wanted a sister around her age to grow up with, have similar interests, and relate to.

These thoughts darkened her mood periodically until Igneous offered Pinkie and her sisters a chance to leave the farm. His plan was for them to try and drum up some business. Both Limestone and Pinkie accepted while Marple decided to stay and help around the farm. Giving enough bits for a round trip and snacks, the two siblings made their way to the station.

Realizing the length of the story, Pinkie skipped to the part where she discovered the mirror pool. With great detail, she explained that Maud was actually a pinkie clone. Twilight nearly flipped her lid as memories of the pinkies clones resurfaced. "Th.. That's impossible, those clones nearly destroyed Ponyville. I'm sorry Pinkie but after that incident, I don't think any clone from that pool could be normal," Twilight declared.

Pinkie was about to reply but stopped as Maud put a hoof on her shoulders. "I understand your skepticism but I can prove it," she stated. Placing Boulder on her back Maud went about styling her mane to look like Pinkie's current style. As Maud finished and was retrieving Boulder, Twilight had to admit they looked very similar now.

Twilight was completely unprepared for what happened next. Maud talking to Boulder wasn't new but hearing him answer certainly was. "You want me to do what, you do realize what you're asking for right," a moderately deep voice replied. Maud simply nodded her head which was met with the voice listing all the reason why he wasn't going to.

"You struck Pinkie in the face, you owe me," she calmly countered. A few tense moments passed before Boulder conceited and did what was asked of him. A bright shade of pink began to travel up her legs, completely eliminating any gray as it spread out along her body.

Twilight was in complete shock, finding it difficult to formulate the proper words to describe what had just happened. Although they both insisted that Boulder was, in fact, alive. The revelation that Boulder was able to wield magic and maintain her disguise nearly broke Twilight's suspension of disbelief. "You never told me you could perform magic," Pinkie exclaimed.

"It wasn't our intention to keep this a secret but we couldn't risk your parents overhearing," Boulder said. Handing him to Pinkie so they could catch up, Maud approached Twilight. "How is any of this possible, how are you any different from the other pinkie clones," she whispered.

"Pinkie, Boulder, and I have tried to discover the difference between me and them. It seemed that each clone possessed the exact ability and form of the host but their mentality seemed to be that of a newborn. The only conclusion we found was the fact that I was raised away from civilization," she finished.

Bringing a hoof to rest against her chin, Twilight mulled over what Maud had said. The recollection of their behavior seemed to validate some of her explanation. Meanwhile, Pinkie and Boulder were engaged in a game of hot potato at the other side of the basement. While Boulder sang Pinkie would gently toss him up and catch him with a different hoof, mane, or tail.

Their game ended abruptly as a series of sobs assaulted their ears. Curious of its source, Pinkie spun around to gaze upon Twilight laying on her stomach. With both forehooves upturned she stared at them with an expression so contorted it made her physically ill.

Even Maud seemed disturbed as she rushed to comfort Twilight. "I killed them... I killed them all," she croaked. With all the care of a mother, Pinkie placed a hoof under her chin raising her head until they were eye level. Tears were gushing from her eyes as she attempted to recall the exact number of clones she banished.

"We could have saved them instead I killed them indiscriminately. Worse yet, I could have easily killed you in the process," she wheezed before breaking their gaze. Before Pinkie could reply, Maud placed a hoof against Twilight's wither. "I don't think they could have been saved considering it took a very specific circumstance for me to be who I am," she dully stated.

About to offer a rebuttal, Maud shushed her before continuing. "Although they had corporeal bodies and genuine experiences they were mere echos of Pinkie. A moment yanked into being and locked with a single purpose. Unable to progress without extensive training and conditioning."

With a hint of anger, Twilight refuted the casualness of Maud's outlook on the matter. "Although admirable, your feelings are clouding your sight. You vainly apply the circumstances of myself for all in the fevered attempt to please the scales of right and wrong. The reason is simpler than that: save Ponyville or watch it burn."

"For some clarification I want you to think of an illusion spell. Both do as the caster or host desire and both are a jumble of spells woven together. Much like the shapeshifting of changelings, both are perfected visuals and little else. You did what you had to in order to protect what you cherish," she finished.

Shocked into silence, Twilight struggled to grasp her logic. A deathly silence lingered as Pinkie, Maud and Boulder waited for her response. After a minute of mulling everything over, Twilight regained her composure, her gaze shifted between them. Both mares instantly recognized the spark of awareness she displayed after solving a difficult conundrum.

"Your logic makes a weird, if not twisted, sort of sense but that highlights the fact that you're a fraud as well. Essentially, calling for your departure of this world but I can't, in good consciousness do that. Although it's the right thing to do, it would traumatize one of my best friends as well," Twilight concluded.

Maud cracked a grin as Twilight realized that the right decision can be the wrong decision. "Putting that aside, how did your parents not immediately recognize something was amiss when you two returned. Also, why didn't the Sonic Rainboom affect you like it did Pinkie," she inquired.

Pinkie explained that she had purchased gray body paint and hair dye from Ponyville. Explaining that Maud was homeless, they allowed her to stay so long as she helped out on the farm. They quickly dismissed Maud's ingrained purpose as gratitude. She did confess to wondering why the rainboom had no effect on her.

Picking up where Pinkie left off, Maud surmised that the thick concrete walls had shielded her from the magical energies it produced. Furthermore, she explained that having developed herself into a mare of her own she could now witness a rainboom without any adverse effects.

"One last question," Twilight stated before asking Boulder what he was and how he met Maud. Hopping from his spot atop Pinkie's mane to the floor.

"I believe it was during an excavation that I met Maud, she was digging for a mineral for her studies. I've never seen a mind as sharp as hers, with a single glance she knew that I was foreign to that specific area. Starving with nothing to lose I spoke. it was later that I learned she was a clone," he said.

He continued after a brief pause, "now that I think about everything I've heard that might have been why she agreed to our deal. I am a symbiotic being that crash-landed on this planet after the core of mine exploded. She feeds and cares for me, in turn, I use my magic to camouflage her."

Upon hearing the words, feed me, Twilight's jaw dropped in surprise. "So I wasn't seeing things that day, you actually did eat the sandwich," she chuckled. They all shared a brief laugh before Pinkie asking about Twilight's intentions with the birth certificate. Until that moment, she'd completely forgotten that they were still encompassed by her magic.

Bringing both quill and document to eye level, she quickly finished filling it out. "The right thing," she answered while levitating the document to them. Once again, Maud smiled while Boulder bounced happily after seeing her expression.

"Oh thank you Twilight," Pinkie squeed in delight while bear hugging her.

"It wouldn't be right to deny Maud her life especially after working so hard to make it her own. How you came to be isn't as important as what you do with your life," she stated cheerfully.

"Thank you Twilight, if any pony were to discover the truth I'm glad it was you," Maud replied.

"You're all very welcome and after I send this to Princess Celestia no pony will ever discover your secret again, "Twilight stated matter-of-factly. As Twilight dropped the soundproofing spell, Pinkie loudly proclaimed that they should have a party to celebrate.

"That sounds wonderful but perhaps call it something other than welcome to the family," Twilight suggested as they made their way back up the stairs.

Comments ( 1 )
Comment posted by iosman987 deleted Mar 15th, 2020
Login or register to comment