• Published 17th Mar 2019
  • 3,256 Views, 507 Comments

Gardening with Rose - Admiral Biscuit



A class presentation and a new day job gave me plenty of time to think about how I might fit into Ponyville society.

  • ...
3
 507
 3,256

Night Soil Girl

Gardening with Rose
Admiral Biscuit

At the end of the second day, I was completely exhausted. Honey Dipper had been so pleased with the help I’d been giving her that she increased her schedule. We emptied two outhouses in the morning, and after lunch we filled her wagon completely with pails.

I could imagine how difficult and time-consuming that must have been for her. Without an assistant, she’d have had to unhitch each time, do her work, shuffle the barrels around in the wagon, and then hitch back up before going to her next jobsite.

Not only did she not have to unhook from the wagon, but I could just lift empty barrels over the side, which saved time as I added full ones to the collection.

“I’ve never really had to use the brakes for pailhouses,” she remarked. “Usually isn’t enough weight in the wagon to need them.”

“Just don’t go expecting that I’m going to be much help if you get stuck at the bottom of a hill.” How would that work? Did ponies have CAA? If so, did they send out another pony in harness to help tow? I did occasionally see larger wagons being pulled by two or four ponies, but I wasn’t sure exactly how that arrangement worked. Were the extra ponies attached to the wagon, or to each other?

•••

We had time to empty out the barrels—she would need them if we kept up our fast schedule—but not enough time to mix it in with the other compost.

At the end of the workday, we went right to the spa, only stopping by my house long enough for me to change into clean clothes. I didn’t really like doing that, but I was sure that nobody wanted me to walk into the spa with manure-spotted clothes.

We’d worked late and missed the bulk of the tradesponies, which made it feel more comfortable. Of course, that meant that there was a different set of curious eyes watching as I got undressed and walked into the showers, but that was less weird than it had been yesterday.

Plus, I’d earned this shower. Moreso than the last one.

I still didn’t dally too much, even though I wanted to. The hot water helped to relax my aching back.

“Do you still need help tomorrow?”

Honey Dipper nodded. “There are still plenty of houses. And the fresh manure needs to be mixed in, we’ll have to do that. Maybe I’ll do it tonight.”

I had a sudden vision of her working the piles by lantern. “How far behind are you?”

“A lot less than I was. You’ve been really helpful, Sam.”

I blushed slightly at the compliment, and she noticed. “No, really. I don’t get a lot of help.”

“I don’t see why not,” I said, not entirely in jest. She paid quite well.

“Ponies just don’t want to shovel manure. Well, a lot of Earth Ponies don’t mind, but the ones that have farms of their own never have time to help out. Sometimes when I’m really behind I give a discount to ponies who will help turn compost piles.”

“Back on Earth—where I come from—there are always people worried about their jobs going overseas. I guess that’s something you’ll never have to worry about.”

“I would like to travel,” she said brightly. “I’ve heard in Neighpon they have bespelled toilets—I’d like to see one of those.”

I thought about saying that she’d missed the point, but if ponies hadn’t started offshoring jobs yet, I wasn’t going to be the one to put the idea in their heads.

•••

I hadn’t slept as well as I thought I would, due to entire new muscle groups aching. Once again, I thought of Mike Rowe, and how he’d get along in Equestria. Would he be waiting in line at Sugarcube Corner, his body aching and his mind fuzzy?

And thinking about television got me to thinking about Gordon Ramsay—what would he make of pony cooking? I had yet to see any of them wearing any kind of hoof glove or mane-net.

“Sam?”

“Sorry.” I turned my attention back to Pinkie PIe. “I was lost in the clouds.”

“Really? Your feet are still on the ground.” She leaned over the counter to verify.

“It’s a human expression. It should be a pegasus expression, too. What do pegasi say when they’re distracted thinking?”

“I’ve heard Dashie say one of her weatherponies was off gathering mist.”

“Hmm. I like that.” I glanced back down at the display case. “Do you know if Honey Dipper has a particular favorite breakfast snack?”

“Ooh, she loves the raspberry oat bread.”

I nodded, and Pinkie Pie cut off a thick slice and wrapped it in paper for me. It was heavier than I’d expected; it felt more like fruitcake than bread.

Hopefully she hadn’t eaten a big breakfast. Although if she had, she could save the bread for lunch.

•••

Honey Dipper ate the bread while I was loading up her wagon. It felt a little strange to not have her hitched to it while I worked. Still, it would be a nice break for her, and I’d gotten accustomed to my new job and didn’t need as much instruction any more.

The same held true when we got to our worksites. That was strange to think about, how a couple of days ago I hadn’t had the slightest idea how to empty outhouses and now I was practically a pro at it.

We filled the time which had formerly been occupied with instructions with conversation, although I stayed away from one topic which interested me, but which I thought it might be rude to ask about: how did Honey Dipper get her cutie mark? How did she get an interest in composting poop? Some ponies were more than willing to talk about how they got their cutie marks, while others seemed more reluctant. Her job didn’t seem like the kind of thing a pony should aspire to, even if it was necessary.

Back on Earth, were there people who aspired to be ditch-diggers or garbage men or septic tank pumpers? Or did they just take the job because it was available? For most people it had to be the latter. Didn’t it?

Then again, a hands-on job like this was nearly recession-proof, and it couldn’t be offshored. Even back on Earth, job security and higher wages covered some unpleasant careers.

“Do ponies import things from other places?” I frowned—I knew the answer to that; Cherilee had implied that they did.

“Yeah.” Honey Dipper nodded. “I got my wagon from an outfit in Manehattan, Bittmeyer and Small. ‘Cause it’s got a patented dump mechanism, which is really convenient. Before that, I just had a plain wagon and had to shovel it out myself.”

“We have self-propelled wagons and carriages,” I told her. “And they all get sold on big lots, sort of like the market.”

“I found mine in a catalog. I took some of the boards off the side, ‘cause I didn’t need them to be that high. I kept the original sideboards, though, so if I want to sell it I can put them back on. I’d probably have to have the wainwright replace the floorboards, though. I don’t think that anypony would want to use it like it is right now.”

“Probably not.” I bent back to my task, imagining that there were wagon detail shops. “Do ponies like to show off their wagons?”

“Sometimes.” She grinned. “Especially if somepony’s got a new one; that’s the talk of Ponyville for a while. I didn’t use mine for work until after the Plowpony Parade. Decked it out with flower garlands and that was a lot of fun. I’d never been in a parade before.

“It wasn’t as fun as watching the parade, though, ‘cause I could only really get a look at the tailboard of the wagon in front of me. Do humans have parades?”

“Yeah, for holidays like Canada Day and sometimes just for fun. If the Canucks ever win the Stanley Cup, there’ll probably be a big parade for them. I’ve never been in one, though. There’s a really famous one in New York City for Thanksgiving, that’s on the TV, and I’ve watched that a couple of times. They even have giant balloons that they tow along.”

“Giant balloons? That sounds fun—is that for the pegasi?”

“We don’t have those,” I said. “Humans are all just like me. Well, except for Courtney, the Vancouver mermaid.”

“Mermaid? Is that like a merpony?”

“Arms and a fishy tail?”

“Yeah.”

“You have merponies in Equestria? Real merponies?”

“You just said—”

“Courtney’s fake. She has a fake tail.”

“Oh.”

I scooped the last big shovelful of manure into the bucket and climbed out of the pit. There was a little residue left on the walls, but that would be covered again soon enough.

“I’ve never seen a real merpony,” Honey Dipper said. “Or a mermare as some ponies call them. But they’re real! I heard that there was a travelling show that came to Ponyville once that had merponies who swam in the lake and did all sorts of tricks. And you could swim with them after the show.”

“We do have seahorses. They’re really small, though, and don’t look too much like actual horses.”

•••

The showers felt as good as always.

I hadn’t even bothered with panties this time—it wasn’t like the ponies would care. Besides, the ones I’d worn for work were sweaty, and it wasn’t worth dirtying another pair.

What if I wore my bathrobe to the spa? I considered it, but that wasn’t really something to wear around town, was it?

This time, I’d almost invited Honey Dipper in, but changed my mind at the last minute, my old human instincts of playing good host nagging at me again. It felt less rude to have her wait outside than to stand awkwardly in the living room while I was upstairs in my bedroom changing.

Of course, I could have changed right in front of her and it wasn’t like she’d have seen anything she hadn’t already.

I didn’t feel as comfortable nude around any other pony except Rose. What did that mean? Was it the bond of two people who had to do a dirty job together? There was certainly a bit more camaraderie with my fellow painters than I’d ever felt with classmates, so that might have been it. Or maybe it was just the vibe I got from her that she trusted me and believed in me since I could and would do what most other ponies wouldn’t. How many applicants had she gotten who were gone by lunchtime, never to return?

Would this wind up being my place in Ponyville? The pay was good, I couldn’t deny that. Ponies might not trust me to work in the spa, but they could trust me to empty their pailhouses without getting manure all over the grass.

What if that was the life I was destined for? Was that the punchline of a cosmic joke?

I let the hot water beat down on my back and looked around. There were ponies clustered around showerheads, some of them washing each other, and now that I really looked, now that I’d gotten over my initial apprehension, I wondered if Honey Dipper would have had a friend wash her normally. If I hadn’t been there.

Or would she have been on her own, regardless?

What would she say to a stallion if she was on a date? Assuming that the stallion in question didn’t already know what she did for a living, that is. I wanted to ask, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear the answer.

Was the right thing to offer to wash her mane for her? Or to keep my hands off, to maintain a proper employer/employee relationship?

“Sam?”

I snapped back to the present. “Sorry. Just had my head in—just gathering mist.”

She snorted. “Not from down here you won’t.”

“I suppose not. Although there is plenty available.” I crouched down to get at her level. “Do you need me again tomorrow?”

“If you’re willing.”

•••

I wound up working two more days with Honey Dipper, which got her completely caught up on her schedule, and I went home at the end of it with more bits in my pocket than I'd ever had before.

There were a bunch of little things I could have spent them on, but I wanted to save as many as possible for the wintertime. I knew that historically winters were tough, and I was a bit worried about running out of food. That probably wouldn't happen, but there certainly could be an increase in food prices, and having more money saved up would really help out.

That was something I could ask Tenderheart about. If the ponies had it handled, if they brought in fresh food by train during the winter, it might just come off as a silly human worry to her, and if not, I’d know.

After Honey Dipper and I finished our evening shower, I stopped by Rose’s house. Lily eyed me suspiciously, but relaxed a bit once Rose and I sat on the couch and went back to her flower catalog.

I don’t think she meant for me to notice, but I saw when she sniffed at me, no doubt to make sure that I’d completely washed off the day’s labor.

“Do you need help in the garden tomorrow? Honey Dipper’s all caught up.” Lily twitched at the mention of her name. “I could still look at the job board, I guess, but I don’t really feel like it.”

Rose nodded, then glanced over at Lily. “We—I’d appreciate that.”

A thought was forming at the back of my mind. “What’s the weather supposed to be like tomorrow? Is it going to be cold or rain?”

“No, it’s going to be sunny and warm.”

“I could, maybe, since your garden is kind of private, I might—” I thought about Honey Dipper and I showering alone. I could push myself a little bit more; I’d be somewhere safe, with a friend close.

What was the best way to phrase it?

Lily, I noticed, had one ear focused on us even though she was pretending to read a seed catalog.

“Well, I could not . . . I could go—” Why beat around the bush? “—nude.”

That got Lily’s other ear to pay attention.

“Really?”

“Sure,” I said with more confidence than I was feeling. “It’s no big deal, right? All of you are—” as naked as the day you were born— “you know, so why not?”

“You don’t have to,” Rose said. “If that will make you feel uncomfortable.”

“It won’t.” That wasn’t likely to be true, and I was already regretting what I’d said, but it was too late to take it back. I couldn’t back down. Even if I wasn’t sure I was actually ready for it.

It would have been smarter to just offer to help and then see what kind of mood I was in come tomorrow, but procrastination didn’t make progress. And she was my friend; it was a silly thing to get worked up about. If I could take a shower with Honey Dipper, surrounded by a bunch of strangers, what did it say about me if I couldn’t do this?