• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,955 Views, 61 Comments

Deus Exquestria - Lmeddy247



Deus Ex and Ponies thrown into the fictional blender and this is the unfortunate result... Enjoy!

  • ...
9
 61
 1,955

Chapter 9

Deux Exquestria: 9

Chapter 9

Boston PD Building – Boston – United States of America

47 was pleasantly surprised at what little resistance he’d had so far as he made his way up the stairs, moving calmly to the door, now dressed into the guards uniform nobody took notice of him. As his feet hit the ground floor his radio beeped into life.

“We’ve found a man dead at his desk; he’s been stripped of his uniform. We have reason to believe the escapee may be in uniform. Run an identity check on all people leaving the building.”

‘Damn it.’ 47 thought as he approached the exit.

“Stop right there!” barked a voice behind him, 47 sighed and clicked off the safety on the stun gun.

Joseph’s Lab – Boston – United States of America

“Errr… don’t you think we should stop her?” Wade whispered to Applejack.

“It’s impossible I tell ya. Believe me, ah’ve tried.” She replied.

“Why is this place so messy!?” Twilight yelled as she bundled a bunch of papers together.

“It’s not mess, it’s organised chaos!” Joseph retorted, desperately trying to save what he could from Twilight’s whirlwind of orderly-ness.

While the cleaning carnage went on in the background, Twilight snatching up papers and Joseph defending them with vigor and a sadly futile effort against the female’s blisteringly quick retrieval of items.

After watching for a few moments, Wade turned to Applejack. "Let's go clubbing."

"Clubbin'?" Applejack asked, "Lahk with bats n' stuff?"

"Bats shouldn't be required." Wade said, trying to suppress his laughter. "I think you've been misinformed."

'She's a smart girlie. Keep an eye on her.'

Wade paused, frowning for a split second, "What I mean is we're going to go out, have a bit of fun. It'd be nice to kick back after a couple of days of being shot at."

"So ya'll not afraid of them coming back?"

Wade frowned. "Not for a little while at least, I sent the last lot packing didn't I?"

"Ah guess," Applejack trailed off, her emerald green eyes cast to the floor, a heavy breath escaping her mouth.

"What's wrong?" Wade asked.

"Ah'm worried that we're gonna get ambushed or somethin'. I don't wanna see you or Twi get hurt."

Wade put a reassuring hand on Applejack's shoulder and put on the warmest smile his face would muster. "I promise that for as long as you two are with me, no harm will ever come to you or Twilight."

"Ya promise?" Applejack asked, perking up a bit.

"Pinkie promise." Wade said, waggling his little finger. For a few moments Applejack just stared at the digit, then looked at Wade.

"Go on." She said bluntly.

Wade frowned, "What'd you mean 'go on'? That's a pinkie promise. Just interlock your pinkie finger with mine."

"Then yar def... def..." Applejack frowned, mouth contorting in as many shapes as she could, trying to find the right sound.

"Definition?" Wade suggested.

'Like I said, smart girlie...'

"That... of a pinkie promise an’ mine are very different; tha's not a pinkie promise."

Wade cocked an eyebrow, "Okay, pray tell, what a pinkie promise is? According to you."

"Cross mah heart an’ hope to flah. Stick a cupcake in mah- ow!" Applejack yelled, face screwed up in pain, rubbing her eyelid, cheeks flushing a scarlet hue.

"Okay, I cross my heart, hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye," Wade repeated, silently thankful that his glasses stopped him from slapping his optics out. "that nothing will happen to you or Twilight."

“There ya go. Nah, if you break a pinkie promise you have to live with the guilt. Fah’ever."

'Always a catch… so she is actually a smart girlie, next she'll con you out of your millions. Oh wait, you don't have millions. Get some millions damn it!'

"I understand." Wade said, trying to ignore his brain's rant about Wade's lack of millions and how he could get some.

'It's so simple! All you need is a screwdriver, a block of that explosive stuff, some duct tape and a banana!'

"Why would I need a banana to rob a bank?" Wade hissed.

Applejack stepped back, brow furrowed. Wade didn't notice, he was staring at his forehead and frowning.

'To feed the monkey, duh!'

"Wha- What's the monkey gonna do?"

'Drive the getaway vehicle of course! Geez, do I have to think of everything?'

Applejack tapped Wade's shoulder, giving a concerned frown. "Are you talking to yerself?"

"Errm..." Wade paused, still looking at his forehead. He looked down to see Applejack still frowning. "Yes... yes I was. Just... just ignore me when I do that, my brain has a mind of its own... quite literally."

Applejack nodded. "Ah see..." She said slowly.

Applejack looked past Wade to see Twilight's 'sorting cyclone' had died down; she stood there leaning against the far wall, panting for breath with a satisfied smile adorning her face. Joseph however was anything but satisfied. He hugged the few sheets he had managed to save close to his chest before Twilight could snap them up and place them in a draw of some description.

"Twilight. What. Did. You. Do!?" The scientist shrieked. Looking like he was about to either rip his hair out, Twilight’s head off or both.

"I was just sorting-" Twilight protested.

"But I didn't ask!" Me squeaked.

"I suggest leaving Twilight and Me alone for a little." Wade whispered to Applejack, beginning to step backwards out of the room.

"Ah agree."
The debate between Twilight and Me seemed to have their full attention, not even giving signs of registering Wade and Applejack leaving the room, nor did they notice the elevator doors close and begin ascending.

Boston PD Building – Boston – United States of America

47 sighed, turning around, stun gun in hand and saw a young police officer that was manning the front desk shakily aim a pistol at him.

“I-I’ll shoot!” He barked, sweating slightly and his breathing erratic.

The suit smiled pocketing his weapon and turning back round to exit, knowing full well the officer wouldn’t carry out the threat, probably never shot at something that wasn’t a paper target before. He walked out into the street, taking in the night time bustle and quickly being lost to the crowds of people that populated the street.

‘Ditch this uniform and head back to Boss.’ 47 thought as he spotted a young person in a leaf green hoodie emerge from a nearby alley, hood put up to cover their head, a few hairs of a beard poking out the bottom, he looked roughly 47's height.

He walked up to the man, tapping his shoulder from behind. "Excuse me sir?" 47 said.

The man looked back, eyeing 47 the circuitry behind the man's eyelids whirring quietly. "Yeah? What you want?" He said with an edge of hostility, his eyes darting back to the alley.

47 raised an eyebrow. “Something interesting about that side street, sir?” he asked, looking over to it, frowning. ‘Could be somewhere for me to relieve this man of his clothing without any public suspicion.’

“N-No officer. I was jus-” The hooded man was cut off by 47 forcefully pushing him towards the alley. “H-Hey! What are you doin’!”

“Taking a look in this alley with you, you sure there’s nothing interesting about it?” 47 sneered, the man’s head was focused ahead, moving into the alley under the prodding of the ‘officer’s’ nightstick.

The alley was a even more gloomy and dark place than the rest of the city’s usual grittiness, worn brickwork and a rusty fire escape hung down from a derelict building, nothing seemed out of place enough for the bearded man to be hostile about, panic spread onto the man’s face when 47 looked over to an open manhole cover, leading into the sewers below, looking inside he saw a cardboard box with a credit chip and packets of some white substance, 47 didn't need to guess what was inside.

“Huh, I thought nothing interesting was here?” he said coldly, placing handcuffs on the man. “Shame really, such potential. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry for what’s about to happen to you.”

“Wh-wha-?!”

47 pushed the man down the manhole, the handcuffs not allowing him to grasp the ladder, hitting the floor with a crunch. 47 sighed as he shimmied down the ladder after him.

A quick change later 47 began walking through the streets once again. After a short while of walking he spotted a familiar looking stetson. Intrigued he focused his vision in, sure enough he saw the blonde cowgirl in a line to get into the ‘Shoal Nightclub’, a new joint that had opened that week, she was talking to someone. He focused in further as a familiar freckled face started laughing.

“Wade.” He growled quietly, pulling his hood up and moving to the back of the line, strategising on when best to strike him.

Shoal Nightclub - Boston - United States of America

The Shoal nightclub was, in comparison to The Hide, one of the better places to spend a night out. The music was blaring, the drinks were flowing and a greater percentage of the patrons are more inclined to be friendly than they were to stab you. The illuminated dancefloor took up most of the floorspace it being one of the few sources of light, the glass tiles flashing into many coloured patterns and shapes, the colours they emitted bouncing off the navy walls, Wade noticed a few people dancing and others sat at simple, but polished, wooden tables, drinking and enjoying themselves, in some cases...

‘Okay... bit too much fun there. This is so much nicer than the dump you used to work in, no wait, used to work outside of.'
Wade scowled, "Haha."

"Wha's so funny?" Applejack asked. Head cocked to one side, eyeing Wade curiously.

"Nothing," Wade sighed, "let's try to enjoy ourselves shall we? Who knows, I may even get lucky."

'Ha!'

Applejack was slightly bewildered, a musky smell invaded her nostrils and the place was almost jam-packed with people of all shapes and sizes, some had robotic limbs like Wade's, and others had none at all. Their skin tones were brown, peach or some degree in-between; there was even someone who was orange. After snapping out of her trance Applejack followed Wade to the bar. The woman working behind the marble bar-top had her back turned, long brown hair braided into a single plait, tied at the end with a soft blue ribbon. She gently rubbing a dishcloth inside one of the drinking glasses.

'Remember, Wade, tact. Tact and a good pick up line and all will go well.'

"Well, it appears I've shat my pants, can I get into yours?" He said to the woman, mentally slapping himself immediately afterward. The bartender stopped wiping, Applejack giving Wade a dumbfounded stare.

'Tact Wade! I said tact!'

"Excuse me!?" The woman blared, turning round, "If you think tha- Oh...” She blinked. “Wade?" Tami's cheeks flushed bright red, though she tried to keep a stern face.

"Ah..." Wade squeaked, face almost matching the shade of Tami's. "Tami... what a...errr..."

'Surprise.'

"Surprise... to... see you here." Wade's voiced refused to lower, he cleared his throat.

"An ah though' you couldn't get any weirder..." Applejack muttered.

"I-I thought you were still working at The Hide." Wade stammered, desperate to divert the conversation away from his blunder.

"I quit the day after the phone call I left you," she said, pausing at Wade's fallen face at its mention, "Geoff thought it was for the best too, figured I’d be safer if I was away from the club. Shoal was looking for some new staff, someone to pour the drinks and 'look pretty' or to stand at the door and look intimidating. I fitted the former so I applied. Since then I've just been getting nothing but assholes hitting on me."

"Sorry about that," Wade murmured, boring a hole in the floor by his feet.

"You're not an asshole though," She laughed, placing a delicate hand on his shoulder, "and I have to admit. That was the funniest and most disgusting pick up line I've heard yet."

"Tha was a pick up line!" Applejack blurted.
Tami turned her head to Applejack, only just registering her presence.

"ah though' Spahk's ahtempts to flirt with Rarity were bad, but tha' just takes the whole pie right thar'." She snorted a laugh before quickly failing to suppress it with her hand.

"I'm sorry... who're you?" Tami asked, frowning a little.

"I must have forgotten to introduce you. Tami, this is Applejack. Applejack, Tami." Wade said.

Applejack had calmed down enough to tip her hat. "Pleasure to meet you ma'am." She said, still smirking.

Tami smiled, "Nice to meet you too." She says, frowning in confusion at the odd name for a moment but her expression went as soon as it came, falling back into the smile, presumably thinking nothing else of it.

"Actually, Tami. Do you know if the bouncer job is still open?" Wade asked.

“Should be, I think the guy at the door is only a temp. You can always check with the Manager, she should be the one in the room up there." She said, pointing up at a large wooden booth.

The wooden box elevated on two marble pillars, a spiral staircase leading up to them and supported by steel cable attaching the edges to the roof.

"Got it." Wade said as he scurried off.

'Wadda ya know? No tact and you still managed to win her over... sort of. I swear all around the world there must be thousands of people violently swearing at you right now.'

"But I don't even know a thousand people."

'Okay... maybe a hundred.'

"A hundred?"

'Okay, fifty.'

"Really?"

'Oh alright... ten.’

“There ya go.”

Shoal Nightclub - Boston - United States of America

He'd been tailing his man for about ten minutes now. Although after entering he’d lost them in the throng of people. You would have thought a man accompanied by a lady in a cowboy hat would be easy to find. He sighed and began making his way to the bar. As he approached it he overheard a snippet of a conversation.

"So, Applejack," the bartender said, "what do you do for a living?"

"Ah work on the family's apple farm." She replied, adjusting the hat on her head.

Jackson observed the lady in the cowboy hat, Applejack. ‘Hmmm, if she’s here then Wade can’t be that far away, I’ll wait at the bar for him to show up or just follow this Applejack till she leads me to him.’

"That idea sounds attractive," the bartender mused, "I like the outdoors, makes me hate being cooped up in here on a nine at night to five in the morning shift."

"Ah can't say ah'd know what that shift would be lahk, Tahmi." Applejack said.
Tami’s lip curled into a smile.

He sat down at the bar. "Can I get a pint?" he asked.

"One beer coming right up." Tami replied, swiftly plucking a glass from under the worktop.

Applejack waved to the man. "Hello mister."

"Hi..."

"Wha's your name? Ah'm Applejack." she extended her hand.

"Err... Jackson." he replied, wearily accepting the handshake.

"Jackson... sounds familiar." Applejack said, seeming to mull the thought for a moment before dismissing it with a roll of the eyes.

A few moments later, Tami placed the frothing beverage onto the bar-top. “Your beer,” she turned to Applejack, “do you fancy anything, Applejack?”

“D’ya ave any apple cider?” Applejack replied.

Tami’s fingers rested on her chin, “Hmmm, I’m not sure… I’ll have a look for you.” She ducked down and began looking in the coolers under the bar.

Manager’s Office – Boston – United States of America

Wade exhaled as he rapped on the door to the office. After a few moments the door opened, the sight greeting Wade was a tall woman, the grey suit jacket she was wearing was buttoned up, smoothing over her slight curves, her blond hair tied back into a bun and high heels that put her nose level with Wade’s scalp.

She looked unamused as she eyed Wade up and down, casually assessing him with piercing brown eyes. “What is it?” She said with a sigh.

“My name’s Wade Adams. I’m here about the bouncer position.” He replied simply. The woman said nothing and walked back to her desk. Wade stood in the doorway, taking note of the bare walls and unsure whether he was supposed to follow or not.

She sat down at her desk, looking up at Wade. “You coming in?” she asked, frowning and tapping the glass desk with her fingertips. Wade obliged, the door closing behind him and sitting down after he was gestured to do so.

Shoal Nightclub - Boston - United States of America

47 entered the club, rapidly scanning the room for Wade. A few of the nightclubs customers who were dancing bumped into him, quickly apologising to him and scampering off when he frowned and growled at them. He looked back around and spotted a familiar waistcoated figure ascend up the metal staircase.
‘Got you now.’ 47 grinned as he made his way through the ground floor, heading for the stairs.

Manager’s Office - Boston - United States of America

“Right, well, thank you.” Wade said, standing up.

“It’s a pleasure to have you working with us, Wade.” The lady replied, shaking Wade’s hand. Wade broke the shake and pushed against the door to exit.

The door rattled but refused to open, Wade pushed again. “What?” He muttered in disbelief as he tried again.

‘It’s a pull, Wade.’

Wade pulled the door; it opened to a bald man in jeans and a hoodie, he had a scowl on his scarred face. “Hello again, Mr Adams.” 47 said calmly as he thrust his metal palm into Wade’s chest.

The Manager let out a short scream, ducking down behind her desk as wade sailed over the top, hitting the wall behind her and sliding down it into a sitting position.

‘Owch...’

Shoal Nightclub – Boston – United States of America

“Wadda ya do, Jackson?” Applejack asked as her drink was served, “Thank ya.” She took a swig.

“Odd jobs, freelance.” Jackson said, taking a drink.
Applejack raised an eyebrow but didn’t ask any more on it, looking back to her cider. She raised her glass. “Cheers, Jackson.” She said, smiling slightly.

“Sure I guess.” Jackson replied, smirking.

Manager’s Office – Boston – United States of America

Wade staggered upright, pain shooting up his spine, squinting his eyes as he saw a blurred 47 walked into the room, casually leaning his side against the wall. Taking no mind of the Manager who was still cowering behind her desk.

“Take your time, Wade.” 47 said, “I’ll certainly be taking mine when I’m killing you.”

Wade groaned, coughing as he raised his fists, teetering a little before walking from behind the desk, his breathing a little heavy. “I’m surprised you’ve came to see me so soon. Last I saw your face I had put my fist through it.”

47 placed a digit over the small ridge in his cheek, running it down to just under his chin. “I had some work done. Dermal armour amongst other things.” He replied, his expression apathetic. “Saw you were in the neighbourhood, thought I’d drop by and kill you. Nothing personal.”

‘Yeah, sure, you caved his face in Wade, it’s obviously personal.’

“Actually... It's maybe a little personal.”

‘Told you.’

Wade rolled his eyes. “Can we just get on with it? I was making headway with a nice lady earlier.”

‘As if…’

47 sighed. “As you wish.” He said as he lunged forward with a vicious strike.

Wade parried, grabbing 47’s head and driving it into the wall. Wade smirked. The bald man growled as he pushed himself from the wall.

‘Oh shit.’ He grabbed Wade’s collar and threw him at the opposite wall with incredible force.

Wade braced for impact. “Son of a bi-!”

Shoal Nightclub – Boston – United States of America

“I don’t think farmwork is really my thi-” Jackson was cut off by an almighty crash. He stood up trying to catch a better look from the bar, Applejack shifted in her seat and Tami looked in the direction of the sound.

The three of them saw a man in a shirt and waistcoat fly through the manager’s office wall, “-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!” pieces of the wooden structure raining down on the club’s patrons below, the man fell, slamming onto a table and bouncing off it onto the floor, landing with an audible thud. A few moments passed and he shakily stood up, placing a hand on his ribcage. A bald man emerged from the hole where he’d thrown the other man through, smiling wickedly as he dropped down, a sphere of orange light slowing his descent. The faint crackle of electricity heard as his feet made contact with the floor.

“Wade!” Tami yelled, quickly moving out from behind the bar and pushing her way through the crowd.

Applejack held her head in her hands. “You promised me, Wade.” She muttered.

Jackson frowned as he made his way over to the fight. ‘What have you done now?’

Over on the other side of the club, Wade struggled to stand after being thrown through the wall. He was pretty sure he’d broken a rib or two but the adrenaline pumping through his bloodstream wasn’t going to make him aware of it anytime soon.

‘Wade, I think it’s in our best interests to make a tactical withdrawal.’

“So you want me to run?” Wade said.

‘Tactical withdrawal, run away, you say ‘tomato’ I say ‘tamata’.’

Wade rolled his eyes as he saw 47 advance, then disappear in a yellow glow. Wade frowned, keeping his fists up, scanning the room. Feeling a sudden, massive impact in his chest he was sent flying backwards several feet, sprawling onto the dance floor. Wade groaned, lying face down onto the glass of the illuminated dance floor, he tried to push himself up before his arm got swept out from under him and he crashed to the floor again. He was immediately yanked up by his scraggy hair, the pain leaving for a split second only for pressure to be almost immediately applied to his neck. Wade probed with his augmented arm a little in front of his throat, feeling resistance he slammed his fist down on it to no avail. He punched in front of him with his other arm, abruptly stopping midair, feeling immense pressure in his knuckles, Wade yelled in anger and then in torment as a sickening ‘snap’ filled the air. Several members of the crowd gasped. At the edge of his vision he spotted Tami, just managing to break through to the front of the crowd, watching in horror as he feebly battled what looked an invisible force.

“Wade!” She yelled, running towards him.

She was only inches away before the hold on Wade’s neck shifted a little, Tami being struck out of nowhere, sending her flying back into the crowd, the people immediately behind her acting as a cushion as she bowled into them.
Wade cried in pain as his lower arm was held in a vice before another snap was heard, the bones crumbling to powder. His arms went limp, the hold on him released as he slumped to the floor, whimpering and barely conscious; he could feel warm breath inches from his face.

“As much as my boss may want me to, I’m not going to kill you... yet,” 47 hissed, “No. I’m going to reach out and crush everything you have, much like your arm and then, when you crawl to me and beg for me to end your life. Then I will kill you.” The breath was gone and Wade lay there for a moment, hazily seeing Tami run towards him before he blacked out.

Author's Note:

“Well... I wasn’t expecting a hiatus for this long, with all my exams (both january and summer) out of the way I can not only spend a lot more time to this, I’ve also managed to quell my writers block for the meantime.”

“In other story related news, massive thank you to Tofazz for the utterly wondrous editing skills, you should all go glomp him and read his wonderful stories. It’s much much better than my drivel. Under his direction I’m going to go back into previous chapters and beef them up a bit so it will probably be worth going back and reading through it.”

“I have finally drawn up an original piece of cover art, but because it is pretty crap I’m still looking for a artist to draw a cover or something for me, if anyone’s interested or you know someone who might be, PM me on the site and I’ll get back to you with any details you require. If you are interested though, please can you link me to some of your works so I can see what sort of quality I’ll be expecting. (Though to be honest I’m not that picky, as long as it’s better than my own I’ll gladly take it)”

“TTFN! Ta ta for now!” *bounces away giggling madly.*

Comments ( 11 )

Is that what I...? :rainbowhuh:
Is it??? :pinkiegasp:
IT IS!!!!!:raritystarry::raritystarry::raritystarry:
I feel like someone took my day and dunked it in a vat of "awesome"!! :rainbowlaugh:

Good going man. :ajsmug:

2860212>>2860727>>2753604

Thanks. I wasn't exactly expecting much when I decided to 'hop back on the saddle' (Horrible horse pun is horrible, I know...) still, it's awesome that people still support the story! :)

Jesus, he got knocked the FUCK OUT!!:twilightoops:

Good chapter, love the brain/Wade banter (that's always a plus).
You should probably go back and re-read some of it, or run a spell check program on it. I found a bunch of errors, but I can't remember where I found them. :facehoof:

2860866
Dude, of course people are still gonna support the story; it's very cleverly written, Wade's brain is witty as all hell, the banter is priceless, and to top it all off it's an overall good story idea. Seriously, man, keep up the good work! :twilightsmile:

2860980

I use 'The Queen's English' so 'colour' will have a 'u' in it some words will have 's' instead of 'z' etc, (this is assuming you're american, please correct me if I'm wrong. I probably am.) that might be the reason a lot of the spelling is 'wrong' although I am running the whole thing through MS word again to check.

2865897
Yeah, I'm American (any Murica jokes and I start cracking heads). I completely forgot about the whole "cultural differences" thing concerning spelling. If that's the way you spell it, that's the way you spell it, and who am I to try and change that? Keep doing what you're doing and summarily ignore me. :rainbowlaugh:

2866408

Ran it through word anyway, only one or two spellings that were actually wrong. Though it's like AJ's dialect has a death wish with that spellcheck, so much red... 0.0

2867757
Keep it anyway. It fits her character's Southern drawl. :ajsmug:

3121845

Length is one of the things being worked on in the re-write, though adding description is mostly contributing to that right now, no point padding out for the sake of padding out.

You would be bang on the reference to 47 and Deadpool, now someone needs to get the reference to the surname, hehe.

I did consider leaving Wade as one-armed on a permanent basis (or at least prolong the length of him being that way) but it had become too hard to write for prior to posting (this was way back when I started and wrote out the first 6 chapters without posting anything.) leading to a lot of frustration, not to mention writer's block on my part so in the end I wrote it in and it freed up a lot of the rigidness and at least staved off the writer's block for a few weeks. Sadly I have heard of Xenoblade but the character is lost on me.

Suits... yeah, just a 'this story' thing. I'm fairly sure they don't exist in the Deus Ex universe. The naming was partly due to parody and partly because I couldn't think of a good name for them, suits sounded funny at the time so I stuck with it. Same reasoning went with naming Boss, Boss.

Amazing! Liked and followed.

Login or register to comment