• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 1,967 Views, 20 Comments

The Dark Night - Zonfic



Princess Luna has a secret that no pony not even her sister knows about. And it has come back!

  • ...
3
 20
 1,967

How it all Started

As the four of them walked deeper into the forest, they began to notice something rather odd. The forest was becoming a lot brighter! It seemed the deeper they went the more light shined through the trees’ thick leaves.

“This doesn’t make any sense. I thought the Everfree Forest was supposed to get darker the deeper you go in.” Twilight said trying to break the silence that had settled over the group. Noah looked back at her as he talked, though he did not stop walking.

“Normally that is true but we are heading towards the center. In the center there is a large clearing were we can set up a place to rest and replenish ourselves.” With that he turned his head forward again. Twilight just walked and let out a tired sigh. She had hoped that they would stop and take a little break by now. Unfortunately for her Noah was determined to get to the center as quickly as possible. They had been walking for two hours now, but still there was no sign of the center.

“Ugh! Are we almost there?!?!” Twilight complained.

“Almost, just a little longer. By the way I didn’t catch your name.” Noah said as he still continued walking.

“My name is Twilight, Twilight Sparkle. Noah, how do you know all of the stuff about the Everfree, and about that tremor, and about…” Twilight was cut off as the group entered a large area that was completely open. Sunshine filled the area and soft grass grew on the ground. Twilight could have sworn that they weren’t even near the Everfree. Yet it surrounded the area with its thick trees.

“Well, we’re finally here. Let’s take a load off. Please, everyone sit.” Noah urged them. Luna. Twilight, and Celestia complied, each giving a sigh of relief. Noah let out a small chuckle. “Come on Luna, we walked farther than that before!” Noah said now laughing. He had a warm smile and a very peaceful laugh. As if his happiness was an infectious disease, Luna and Celestia began to giggle followed by Twilight.

“In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t walked such a long distance in a few years!” Luna said, a small smile appearing on her face. Noah smiled back. It didn’t last too long however. The giggling and smiling soon stopped. He then turned to look at everypony present. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Twilight and Celestia were on edge, their curiosity and the suspense getting the better of them.

“Now I’m sure all of you have questions and I promise they will be answered. But first, Luna and I must tell how it is I know her and this world.” Noah said, turning his head to look at Luna.

“Before we begin, I brought something that might help you two understand how Noah and I know each other. If it’s alright with you Noah may I begin our story?” Luna said looking at Noah.

“By all means, after all, we have all the time in the world.” Both Twilight and Celestia were confused by how gingerly Noah’s voice was.

“Wait, you were freaking out about how we were running out of time, why do we suddenly have all the time in the world?” Twilight asked accusingly.

“A good question Twilight. You see this clearing is no ordinary clearing, it’s a time spell. Cast millennia ago. All time does not exist here. This is why I was so intent on getting here. Now then if there are no more questions, Luna, please begin.” With that Twilight, Celestia, and Noah turned their attention to Luna. She was in the process of getting something out of her saddle bag, and the three of them sat there, waiting. When Luna finally pulled out the item she desired Noah gasped.

“Y-you kept our photo book? After all this time?” Noah said with what seemed to be the formation of tears at the edges of his eyes,

“Of course I did, we did have some amazing memories after all. Now then, let us begin at the beginning,” With that Luna opened the photo book to the first page.


It all began a while after I had been banished to the moon. Nightmare Moon had receded to the back of my mind, waiting for us to be freed from our prison. I was having a hard time coping with the loneliness and silence. I was beginning to go crazy! I needed to talk to somepony, anypony! I was desperate for something to do. Minutes felt like hours, hours felt like days! The only relief I got was when I slowly cried myself to sleep. However, I still got nightmares and woke up screaming to the silence around me. I had no way to know how long it had been, or how much longer it would be until I was freed. I began thinking about ways to apologize for my wrong doings, ways to make up for the ponies I hurt, most importantly my sister. Nightmare would then intrude on my thoughts and mock me for being a pitiful weakling. But one day, or night, something happened. I was awoken from a nap by a strange light. The light turned out to be an old form of magic. It was an ancient teleportation spell. I couldn’t believe that I was going to be free in Equestria again! And neither could Nightmare. I slowly made my way through the portal, expecting to see the green fields of my beautiful home. Instead, a strange figure awaited me on the other side. It stood on two legs and looked at me with shocked eyes. I looked at it the exact same way. As it turns out, that spell was activated by complete accident by this strange creature. We stared at each other for some time before one of us spoke.

“Hello, I’m Noah.”

“I am Luna…. Where am I strange creature?” I asked looking around the strange world.

“You’re in the forest just outside Andersonville. Um, how are you talking?” Noah asked. Now bear in mind that this was many years ago. Noah was much younger and did not know as much as he does now; he was also a lot cuter.


“Luna focus on the story please.” Noah said with a blush on his face. Luna giggled at him. Celestia and Twilight did the same.

“Okay Noah, anyway…”


“I hath been talking since I was but a little filly. And what of thou?” I asked. I was not accustomed to the way he talked, much as it was when I came back from the moon. Twilight should know that well.

“Same thing with me. I do have a question though, why are you talking with old English?” Noah asked me.

“Old English? This is Equestrian. I believe thou need to study more on languages.” I told him. He just stared at me blankly, his eyes full of wonder and curiosity.

“Um, Equestrian? There’s no language called that on Earth.” Those words struck me like a blow to the face. I looked around me slowly and carefully. My suspicions were unfortunately correct. I was not in or even near Equestria; I was on a different planet!


“Noah, could you please take over now?” Luna asked with little puppy eyes.

“But of course.” Noah said with a smile on his face.


Well I might as well start with how the portal opened. It began on what seemed would be a regular day. The sun was out, animals were about doing what they do, and I woke up in a good mood. It was summer time and I was free to do what I felt I wanted to do. I decided that it would be a nice day for a walk in the forest near my house. I got dressed, packed a few snacks, told my parents where I was going, as I was only 16, and I headed out. I had been in the forest many times before but I never went too deep. That day I decided to go as deep as I could. Little did I know that that choice would change my life. As I went deeper and deeper into the forest, I began to notice something rather odd, there seemed to be old structures buried under all the plants. I ignored it as much as I could but the deeper I went, the more the structures took shape. Then I reached the center. I stood there shocked, unable to believe what I was seeing. It was an old tower, what looked to be medieval. I was amazed at how well it looked, as it must have been hundreds of years old. My curiosity got the better of me and I began to explore the tower. What I found was amazing! It looked like some kind of fire pit with a lot of books and weird ingredients around it. I picked up one of the books and tried to make out the title. Thankfully it was in English. It was Spells for the Apprentice. I laughed at its content. It spoke of magical spells and sorcery. Now in my world there is no real magic, or so most people believe. I found out the hard way how wrong we are on that. I decided to humor myself and try one of the spells. It was called the Spell of Help. It said that once cast it would help anyone who needed help the most. I gathered everything the spell called for and threw it into the fire pit. There as one problem, no way to light it. I looked around for something to help with this little problem but found nothing. I was about to leave when I heard something. A crackling noise, as if something was on fire. I turned around to see my suspicions were correct. The pit was on fire! Only it was a blue flame that shined brightly and powerfully. Then the fire began to spin around. It spun faster and faster and glowed more and more. Soon a spinning vortex opened up and that was when she came out. It was Luna; only at that time I thought it was a very interesting looking pony. Then I learned that she could speak. And our conversation began as Luna had said. And so after an awkward moment of silence I spoke again.

“Um, are you okay, um Luna?” I asked sheepishly, still very nervous and somewhat scared. She just looked at me with big, teary eyes. They were full of pain, misery, and deep sadness. It was then I knew why she was here. She was the one in need of help the most. That is why the spell brought her here. I noticed that her head hung low to the ground and tears were now flowing freely from her eyes. I decided to do a daring thing. I went up to her and embraced her in a hug. She gasped at this almost as if she had never been hugged before. I then felt her calm down in my arms and she returned the hug.

“T-thank you, Noah.” Was all she managed to say before breaking down to tears again. I only held her tighter, knowing that was all I could do to comfort her. She soon stopped sobbing and I released her from the hug. She looked at me and a small smile came across her face. I smiled back.

“Why were you crying Luna?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Because I am free but I am trapped at the same time.” Was her answer.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, where do I begin….” And that is how I learned of Equestria and most of its secrets. It is also from Luna that I know of her rather big problem, Nightmare.
Once her story was finished I simply went up to her again and hugged her once more. She immediately hugged back.
“I’m sorry I can’t do more for you Luna, I truly am.” I began to cry slightly. This time it was Luna who helped me. She tightened the hug and whispered to me.

“Thou hath helped me more than thou know. Thou actually allowed me to talk, to tell my story. Thou were actually friendly to me.” Now Luna began to cry. It was then that I realized that something was happening to the fire pit. Luna soon noticed it also. The blue fire inside whirled about and engulfed me and Luna. At first I thought I was about to burn to death, then I noticed that I actually felt happy and relaxed. It was as if I was a small child being held by a loving mother’s arms. I calmed down and looked around. All I saw was a fiery, blue surrounding. Then I saw Luna drifting next to me, her eyes filled with wonder. She soon noticed me and smiled. At that exact moment something amazing happened. We both laughed, we smiled, and we looked around at the spectacular display before us! It was as if the magic itself was taking all of our worries and troubles away. Then, the sight before us vanished and we were back in the tower, the sun setting. Luna got up and stared at it, curiosity in her eyes.

“Who raises and sets the sun here?” She asked. I simply gave her an odd look. I then remembered her telling me of how she, and you, Celestia, raise the sun and moon.

“Actually it does it by itself, same with our moon.” I said starring at the sunset myself. Luna looked back at me, a shocked expression on her face.

“Thou meanest everything works itself here? Really? How fascinating!” Luna exclaimed and looked back to the sunset.

“Yeah, it must be a tough job to raise the sun and the moon. Here everything just works itself out. Most people explain it with science. I could teach you some of it sometime.” I offered. Luna just turned around and smiled at me.

“I think that would be very nice.” Was all she said. I smiled and walked over to her. We just stared at the sunset and smiled. Then the realization hit me. How am I supposed to explain a talking pony from another world to my parents?!?!?




Author’s Note: I am really sorry I took so long to update! And it’s not even that long dangit! And please forgive my horrible use of the way Luna talked with thou and stuff, I’m not use to using that. But I would like to thank everyone who has read my story. Thank you all a million times over! I just hope this story stays entertaining. Okay I’m rambling now. Have a great day everyone!

Comments ( 8 )

Tell them what all good wizards say to people who ask "how?"

ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i48/5/11/28/fbz_a4b9add377bd3009a691781acea5e8b6.jpg

1087810
I agree to this statement! and thanks for reading so far!:twilightsmile:

very good, and thanks for following me:pinkiehappy:

1092996
Any time! And thank you so much for reading my story! I'll be returning that favor soon!:twilightsmile:

1087810 you could always tell them a wizard did it!

DUDE awsome story bro luna is best princess NO DISCUTION SHE IS THATS FINAL anyway as always moar please :fluttercry:

1597201
Thank you and I'll try to get more to you all soon, hopefully.

I will patently wait for more

Login or register to comment