• Published 7th Aug 2012
  • 383 Views, 3 Comments

Steampunks - Metal Press



Another secret cult of ponies is discovered, but WHAT is their story?

  • ...
 3
 383

Rhythmic, Almost.

"I CAN'T TAKE IT! How will I finish that report on Pony Health with that awful pounding, Spike?" Twilight's angry voice rang through the halls of the oak library. Spike was in the main room, re-shelving the 'History of Equestria' wing. He was just about done with the complaining, so was Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, not to mention Rarity who thinks: 'This is utterly insane of you, Twilight. There is no sound.' Spike just rolled his eyes and put back 'Nightmare Moon: The Fables'.
"You've been listening to too much DJ P0N-3 again. Just lay down and listen to some Nightcore or something." As Spike continued shelving, Twilight flashed in and gave him a mean look, causing him to drop a think book on his toe.
"Spike! This is for real! The sound... I can hear it. Clearer, and louder than ever. I think it is calling me." Spike just laughed and picked up the books.
"Twilight," he said in a very mature voice. "Pinkie Pie can't even sense it, much less hear it. You're just talking pony-feathers. Prankster Day was back in April." He sighed and continued. "If you want to go after it, just make sure to bring somepony with you. As much nonsense this is, you're still my... uh... mother." Twilight's ears perked up and she stopped pacing.
"I'll go find the source, and I will be careful." Spike looked up at Twilight.
"You promise?" He says, as quizzical as a filly.
"I promise, Spike. I'm going to go out to find somepony who also hears this, and leave by tonight. I will bring all of my books and maps, not to mention GALLONS of water." Twilight started trotting to the door as Spike said in a small voice,
"I love you, Twilight." Twilight smiled a little smile and kept on going.
I love you too, Spike.
*********
Spike sighed and picked up the books. He knew what the sound was. When he was a few days old, he got away from the pony taking care of him and stumbled upon an old, forgotten part of the restricted section of the Canterlot Archives. One of the tombs looked rather interesting and even though he was a hatchling, it was still in Draconic, and he could still read it. He saw the words Steampunks, Extremely deadly, and Madame Clockwork, he figured This place is bad news, and this tomb is bad luck. Why did he let Twilight go? Twilight was a tough pony. A magical unicorn. If anyone can find this sound and these so called Steampunks, it would be her. Only Spike and few other living beings can tell the story, (or parts thereof,) of the Steampunks.
Yeah, goodbye Twilight.
*********
So, everypony can't hear it but me. Fluttershy, Rarity, Spike, Pinkie, and Rainbow... Lost in her thoughts, determined Twilight trotted through the marketplace in the hot afternoon sun. As usual, the marketplace was crowded like any other Saturday. Carrot Top was selling her Carrots and Zucchini, Rose Luck was selling her flowers, and a mare named Ditzy was handing out flyers for an event. Twilight trotted up to the gray mare.
"Hi, Ditzy! How are you enjoying your stay in Ponyville?" Ditzy smiled and set down her flyers.
"Afternoon, Miss Sparkle! Life here is certainly a change in style, since I've been living in Cloudsdale for so long." Ditzy smiles and looks down at the flyers. "Would you mind pushing those flyers closer?" Twilight giggled and levitated the flyers from Ditzy's hoof to in front of her face.
"No, no," She says. "Still too far away." Ditzy and Twilight share a little laugh, then Twilight clears her throat.
"How about I make a stand for those flyers to sit on?"
Ditzy sighs in relief.
"My goodness, thank you, Miss Twilight! Ever since I was a filly these eyes have given me too much darned trouble." Twilight giggles and quickly makes a rock into a small wood stand.
"What are these advertizing, anyway?" Twilight asks as she takes one for her own. Ditzy smiles and looks at a flyer for herself.
"I'm not sure, but I think it says something about the famous music producer, DJ P0N-3 coming to Ponyville Nightclub for a show." Twilight nods and confirms her friend.
"That's exactly it. I have never been a huge fan of the Dubtrot or the House Music, so I have na small idea who this mare is. Hey, while we are on the subject," Twilight says, "Have you heard... let's say... a strange pounding sound lately?" Ditzy looks from the flyer to the purple unicorn. Her expression changes from focused to serious.
"As a matter of fact," She says, "What I don't have in sight, I make up for in hearing. I do hear that sound. I think it sounds... uh... rhythmic almost. Like it was a choreographed or planned routine, although, sometimes there are breaks and pauses in the beat. I often find myself humming some of my favorite songs to the beat. I'd love to learn the cause of the beautiful beat." Ditzy smiles and glances up at the clock tower by the schoolhouse. She quickly flings on her saddlebag and stretches her wings. "Oh my goodness Twilight! I'm so sorry I have to leave you in the middle of a conversation! I have a very important meeting with my boss today and I completely lost track of time. See ya later!" As Ditzy takes to the sky, Twilight smiles. That silly-looking mare always brought a smile to her face.
"Bye," Twilight shouts after her friend. So, Ditzy can hear it, too! Twilight puts the flyer back and continues on through the market.
*********
AS Twilight continues her walk, new thoughts about the sound roll in. So, Ditzy can hear it, and she describes it like a choreographed routine or a rhythmic like beat, but still with faults and pauses. That can imply this is nothing natural. I need to get to the bottom of this... Lost in thought, Twilight accidentally bumps into a white fence.
"Wow! I'm at Sweet Apple Acres? How did I get here so fast? I guess that's the power of thought for you," she says to no-pony in particular.
"Twilight? Is that you? What are y'all doin' down here by the farm?" A familiar orange pony comes trotting up to the fence to greet her friend. "Did'ja get a little peckish an' want some apples, or did'ja need that book on protectin' saplings from the frost back?" Applejack smiles and yawns. "Pardon me, Twilight! Some odd clangin' is goin around mah ears at night, I can barely catch a wink of sleep." Twilight's small grin widens at the sentence Applejack just spoke. Odd clanging, huh?
"That's great, Applejack!" Applejack looks taken aback at Twilight. Before the pony can speak, Twilight sighs. "I can here that clanging, too! So can the mailmare, Ditzy. I knew I wasn't going crazy! Would you like to come searching for it with me?" Applejack shrugs. She seems uneasy at the thought of a huge adventure and possible fight.
"Ah don't know, Twilight. If only three ponies can hear it, this thing might be best left alone..." Applejack didn't want any trouble, and she didn't want it to happen so close to Fall Harvest Week. She didn't want this pounding to go on either. I need to be well rested for this harvesting season. She sighs and extends a hoof.
"You have yourself a deal, Twilight."

Comments ( 3 )

Please no heavy hating, I'm kinda sensitive ;-; :fluttershysad:
Please tell me what I need to work on, just... not too mean. :twilightsmile:

NOT TOO MEAN? :flutterrage: FOOLISH BRONY! ONE DOES NOT ASK THE INTERNET TO BE GENTLE! BEND OVER, 'CAUSE IT'S TIME FOR AN ASS WHOOPING, PASCAL STYLE!

Seriously though,

Hmm. I can't really say much at this point. There were no huge errors, except for Derpy saying "I'd love to learn the cause of the beautiful it," but then again, that's Derpy, so that can be excused.

I gotta say....the description was better written then the story, but the premise still seems interesting, especially given that Spike might have an idea as to what's going on.

As a steampunk myself, I will press on to see what happens!

Login or register to comment