• Published 28th May 2018
  • 2,523 Views, 390 Comments

The Time Thief - Reading4HalfMyLife



Starlight and Twilight's daughter becomes trapped in a time loop

  • ...
19
 390
 2,523

PreviousChapters Next
Loop 33

"So, let me get this straight" Rarity said slowly. "You want me to make you . . . armor?"

Astral sighed. She had been expecting this reaction.

"Yes" she said, just as slow. "I picked up Bladecasting and I need armor for a duel. But all the armor I could buy would be too heavy for me, which is bad since my style is agility based. So, I thought, why not find somepony who could make an entirely different type of armor." She finished off the rather long winded explanation with her best 'I'm an innocent filly' smile.

"Well . ." Rarity tried to think of a way to refuse to make armor for a filly, but already her mind had grasped onto the idea, this new exciting concept of creating something she had never done before, and she was already invested. "Alright" she said after a pause. "It will take a bit of research of course" she added as an afterthought.

"Thanks Aunt Rarity!"

"Hmm . . . oh! Yes, you're welcome dear!"


Astral winced at the pain in her joints. She had already mastered the Intermediate spells, and they now did nothing to curb her magical input. She was already preparing for her Advanced Test, hopefully that would stave off the pain for a bit.

She had just entered her room- or, as she was starting to think of it, her home base- wondering about the strange note that had just been deciphered. She pulled out her well worn notebook and started to write in it.

The writer of the note expresses confusion about who I am and why I am in the loops. That seems to imply they are not the one who put me in the loops, or the one giving me magic, but are a spectator of some sort.

Is it possible that somepony else was just brought into the loops and realized I was stuck in one as well?

But the writer seems to express some sort of experience, and at least suspects who the pony behind it all is. Who is the she they are referring to? They also seem to believe I should get out. Get out of where? The time loops? I have no power over those. Ponyville? My home?

Note to self; find out what a keeper and a host is.

A knock at the door made Astral slam the book closed, turning around to see her mother in the doorway.

"Astral" Twilight said, trotting into the room as her daughter hopped down from her desk. Thankfully, Astral had her illusion spell up, so she looked like the same old blank flank. "Rarity told me you had taken up Bladecasting" her mom told her, eyebrows raised, and Astral valiantly fought off a scowl.

Stupid Rarity, and her stupid marriage to the stupid Element of Honesty.

In response, Astral summoned three of her Shards, smiling at her mom's obvious surprise. "When did you start training?" She asked, reaching out to touch one of the Shards.

"At the start of the week" Astral said - quite truthfully.

"Wow! You're really good! You might even get your cutie mark in Bladecasting" Twilight praised, before sobering "but a duel? Are you sure?"

Astral smiled condescendingly. "It's just a mock duel mom, to show me the basic rules. But they recommend I bring armor so I can learn how to maneuver around in it."

Twilight was still frowning. "I want to be there for the duel" she insisted, shaking her head. "When is it?"

Shit.

"Saturday" Astral lied smoothly, before adding "but I would need my armor a couple of days before that, so I could properly break it in."

Her mom nodded, relaxing at the idea of being there to protect her harmless little girl. "Okay, Saturday. It's a date" she added with a wink as she left, and Astral giggled a little.


Between waiting for the armor, learning Germane, avoiding Jam and Butterscotch and trying to lessen the pain in her joints, an idea occurred to Astral, and she hurried to add it to the list.

Goals

  • Get a cutie mark
  • Help CMC get cutie marks
  • See Alchemy
  • Graduate from Beginner to Intermediate
  • Beat Shining Armour in a duel
  • Beat the Princesses in a duel
  • Travel

Spend a night away from the castle (treehouse maybe?)


On Thursday evening, Astral was summoned to Sweet Apple Acres to see her new armor.

To be honest, she wasn't a hundred percent sure what she was expecting. She had done her research, and found that most materials that could handle Pegasi lightening, Earth Pony earthquakes and Unicorn's spells were extremely heavily built. While some ponies got light clothing and cast protection spells on it, it was fairly easy to undo said spells.

A part of her had expected Rarity to do a similar thing; make a silk outfit and cast a protection spell on it. That would probably be for the best, and Astral could add to the protection spells, making it fireproof, waterproof, and so on.

What she was not expecting was armor that looked to be made out of light purple metal, covering her chest, barrel and legs. There were flickers of white light in the armor, and, when she tried it on, it was incredibly light.

Seeing her surprised look, Rarity's self satisfied smile grew even larger. "When I did my research on armor, I discovered that all armor is based off armor of the Gods, which, apparently, has no metal on it's stomach, legs or head, since the Gods are seen as indestructible. Since that seemed rather foolish to me, I deigned to cover the stomach and legs, but leave the head open.

There is no metal that would be light enough for you to move around it, so instead, I got Twilight and Starlight's help to solidify the astral plane."

"The astral what?" Astral jerked back, surprised.

"Oh, yes, your namesake. It's also where your mother ascended, and is said to be the Gods old 'hangout' as Rainbow Dash would say. Like magic, you can solidify the astral plane if you can access it, so that's what Twilight and Starlight did. It is incredibly light, sturdy, and can absorb some magic and be used for physical attacks."

Well, I'll be damned. . . .

"That's amazing!" Astral said, genuine, and Rarity acted modest.

"Thank you dear, it's what I do, really. Now, why don't you test it out?"

It worked like a dream, pun aside. It felt no different than having the CMC cloak draped over her shoulders. It also, she noticed, matched her Shards, which was nice.

But while she put her armor through it's paces, her mind was elsewhere.

The astral plane was the hangout of the Gods, huh? Maybe I should visit sometime. . .


Author's Note:

I. Cannot. Draw. Armor.

Like, seriously, I start to think I might be a mediocre artist, and then this comes in and just beats my head in with a mallet. This was, unironically, the hardest thing I have ever done, base or no.


I have decided to retcon Astral's cutie mark.

It is still the same, but with a different meaning. Before it meant her magic and her willingness to use it to help others. But our Astral ain't really like that, now is she? So instead, I went back to change it.

Astral's cutie mark is now for her magic and her quick thinking. The situation doesn't change or anything.

Astral, for those who don't know, is doing a bit of a heroes fall. She won't be a total villain by the end, instead I want a more morally dark grey character, one who has no problem with just killing the villain instead of trying to friendship their way out.


Oh, and yes that little prequel fic Chasing Shadows does play an very important part into the lore of this universe

PreviousChapters Next