• Published 28th May 2018
  • 2,520 Views, 390 Comments

The Time Thief - Reading4HalfMyLife



Starlight and Twilight's daughter becomes trapped in a time loop

  • ...
19
 390
 2,520

PreviousChapters Next
Loop 28

It occurred to Astral how distant she had become from Apple Jam and Butterscotch, but she didn't care. Every time she looked at them, all she could think about was that night.

So, she did the logical thing; she avoided them like the plague.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the best solution, but this wasn't something that could be solved with 'the power of friendship' or whatever. It would take time to be able to look her friends in the eye once more, if at all.

At least she had Eclipse, Anarchy and Misty. Over the time of her loops, she had actually managed to befriend both Anarchy and Misty, and quickly found that they were actually very good friends.

Anarchy, who was a lot quieter and more sensible than her older brother, wanted to be a medic. Unlike her brother, she didn't use her chaos magic to get back at the Elites, which in turn caused said Elites to be more . . vocal in their complaints about Annie. Which was weird, because Anarchy was actually a lot more powerful than Eclipse (much to his annoyance and Astral's delight). Sadly, she could not undo the Loops either.

Misty Rose was just as crazy as always (seriously, she found the idea of a murder in Ponyville to be a great way to pass the time, and viewed Manticore Wrestling as an acceptable hobby) but she found out several other things about the white Earth Pony.

Like how she was estranged from her father Prince Blueblood. Like how she and her twin sister, Rose Quartz, who happened to be a musical prodigy, were separated after the divorce, with Blueblood getting Rose. Like how she hadn't had contact with Rose since the divorce four years ago.

Most of the time they just spent their days hanging around, or Astral and Anarchy were being dragged into some wild scheme orchestrated by the enthusiastic duo that was Eclipse and Misty. They usually found themselves exchanging resigned expressions over their friends shoulders.

But, despite all this, she knew she couldn't avoid her friends forever. Her parents would make her go to school at some point or another.

She had a plan though. She was going to find a way to avoid school without using the notes, which took too long and made everypony walk eggshells around her.

Thankfully, Astral had experience in the art of avoidance.


Astral managed to get off Monday and Tuesday by pretending to be sick, but, just like last time, Wednesday was where Twilight put her hoof down.

"Sorry sweetie, but you can't miss three days of school. You seem to be better, but don't forget, if you feel sick, then get the school to message us" Twilight said as she fastened Astral's saddlebags and shoved her out the door.

Just like last time, when she was sure nopony was around, she went to the clearing to practice some magic. When the school bell rang, she went home to find both her moms and Cheerilee waiting for her.

"Astral Stellar Plane," Twilight said sternly, and Astral lowered her head, making her ears fall flat. She wasn't sure if she got it exactly right, but it must of have been close enough, since Starlight continued.

"Can you tell us where you've been?"

"I got lost."

Same reactions and outcome. It was decided that Twilight would walk Astral to school.

She had originally planned on waking up early and just avoiding her parents, but she enjoyed a challenge. Let them chase, she knew Ponyville and it's surrounding area like the back of her hoof by now.


Both Twilight and Starlight relaxed when they saw their daughter sitting on the bed, waiting for them, saddlebags on. It seems that she was adhering to the new regime of being walked to school.

Upon seeing her moms in the doorway, Astral's horn glowed, before she vanished with a flash of light.

Starlight and Twilight stared blankly at the bed for a moment, before Twilight snapped out of it and cast a tracing spell. "Did you teach her to teleport?" She asked, and Starlight shook her head.

"No, I thought you did. Though, she did get her cutie mark in magic."

The two looked at each other, worry and unease visible on their faces. Most fillies should just not know how to teleport.

After figuring out where she was, the two mares teleported in unison outside into one of Ponyville's many back alleys, just behind the fleeing Astral.

Upon hearing the telltale pop that signaled teleportation, Astral glanced behind her at her fleeing parents, and grinned, just before she cast the phase spell and disappeared through a wall.

Starlight and Twilight exchanged bewildered looks. Teleportation and phasing? What was going on?

Twilight's tracking spell went off, telling them she had teleported once more. Following the teleport, they found themselves in Cloudsdale, with no sign of the filly.

"Where is she?" Starlight questioned, trotting in a small circle, trying to catch a familiar flash of purple.

Twilight meanwhile narrowed her eyes, trying to think, before they widened in realization. Of course!

Astral stifled her giggles as she watched her baffled parents. I knew learning that invisibility spell was a good idea! She was so busy congratulating herself she almost missed the glowing gem speeding towards her.

Panicking, she teleported away, accidentally breaking the cloaking spell. Too late she realized the Shard was dulled to do no damage, and that her parents were closing in.

Well, two can play at this game . . .

In a split second, all six shards of Aegis formed in the air, hovering menacingly overhead as Astral fell back into the traditional battle pose.

Her parents quickly followed, both summoning fourteen shards. Astral gulped nervously, and her parents saw. "Give it up sweetie, you have to go to school!" Twilight said.

Wrong thing to say.

"No! I am not going back in there!" Astral's resolve strengthened as she readied herself for a duel.

It would be her first real magic duel, the Beginner to Intermediate was designed to be fun for kids. In real duels, two unicorns would exchange magic spells until one of the forfeited, ran out of magic, was seriously injured or died. She should be afraid, but all she felt was exhilarated. After all, how many ponies could say they went up against two of the most
powerful Mages?

"Sweetie, if someponies bullying you, we can talk about it! Where did you learn all these spells anyways?" Starlight tried to reason, but Astral wasn't having any of this. She wasn't going in. Period.

She embedded two of her Shards into the clouds a couple of feet in front of her moms, and made them both explode- low level explosions, but enough to send the two flying back a bit. At the exact same time, Astral flipped over the epicenter of the explosion, landing in front of her parents on her hind legs in the traditional karate pose.

Recovering quickly, Starlight cast a simple bind spell, aiming for her daughters back legs, in an attempt to trip her up, but Astral just jumped over the magical rope, twisting out of the way of one of her moms dulled Shards and landing in a crouch.

Quickly casting a wind spell, she sent the two flying back, and attempted to teleport away, only for Twilight to undo the spell while midair. Recovering quickly, Twilight flapped her wings, dive bombing her daughter, eyes narrowed, only for said eyes to widen when Astral canceled the Cloudwalking Spell and fell through the clouds.

While free falling, Astral wiped away a couple of beads of sweat. Dueling with Twilight and Starlight was a lot harder then she imagined. They were both stronger than her and had more precision and spells. She would have to be creative if she wanted to get out of this.

She had never truly pushed her teleportation before; she really only used it to scare the locals. But Eclipse and Anarchy could teleport from Canterlot to Ponyville in an instant . . .

Seeing her mom gaining on her, Astral acted fast and flipped round so she was facing the ground. It was common knowledge that while your location changed when you teleported, your weight, mass, speed and velocity didn't. Which meant that when she teleported, she would still be moving at the same speed she was currently falling.

Astral was very aware of the fact that it wasn't the fall that killed you, it was the sudden stop.

So, she strained to remember every single lesson Pinkie had ever taught her, and vanished.


Her body jerked painfully as she cast the spell- it was a panicked, messy spell and as such the second she got out of it, she was briefly overcome with nausea and a head splitting headache.

Briefly because she hit the ground.

It wasn't as painful as the time she died from the fall, but it was painful. Her teeth cracked from it, and she was pretty sure she broke her leg and at least three ribs.

She rolled her eyes. I really need to learn some healing spells, she thought. Oh well, dying gave you a higher pain threshold, this was fine.

It appeared she had accidentally teleported herself into the throne room of her moms castle. Not quite the distance she was going for, but she would take it. She could try longer distances later.

She levitated herself off the ground to relive the pain before her moms showed up. When they came out, they found her sitting on Twilight's throne, with the rest of the Elements in the doorway, staring at her.

"What's going on here?" Applejack asked, glancing between the disheveled couple and their bored looking daughter. Twilight, not taking her eyes off of Astral in case she teleported again, explained what happened.

"Why would you want to skip school?" Rarity asked, tilting her head.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, and waved a hoof. "No, actually I can understand that, but why did you attack your moms?"

Astral didn't look in the least bit apologetic, instead she just handed over the looping notes. When they were all done, she said "I wanted to see if I could go a week with missing school."

"Why?"

Here Astral hesitated. Even if it was the end of the loops, she really didn't want their pity. "Because I've been going every day for every loops, and it's always the same" she lied through her teeth.

Everyone turned to Applejack, clearly expecting her to refute it, but, after a couple of tense seconds, she nodded. "She's tellin' the truth" she announced, and the others relaxed.

"Okay" Twilight relented before pointing a hoof at her daughter. "But only this once" she cautioned.

Astral smiled. "Of course." Deciding that showing them just how injured she was a bad idea, she instead teleported away, into the library to find a book on healing spells before teleporting once more to her room.


It seems that I'm weaker than both my parents, at least for right now. It also looks like I'll have to give them a note at the start of every loop. That'll be fun.

On the bright side, I learned a healing spell, and I've clearly improved at fighting. Couple of loops, and I can challenge Uncle Shining.

Author's Note:

Oh, you didn't want another drawing? Too bad, here's a grown up Eclipse. He noodle boi.

So, yeah, I believe that if a unicorn was falling a great distance and teleported at the last second, they would still retain the velocity they had from the fall. This can be incredibly dangerous, which is why most unicorns don't visit Cloudsdale, out of fear of the Cloudwalking spell failing.

PreviousChapters Next