• Published 8th Nov 2017
  • 977 Views, 26 Comments

Familial bonds: part one - Darling Dearest



Rainbow Dash sets out to find out why she is begining to worry so much about her sister Scootaloo.

  • ...
0
 26
 977

A genuine sisterly bond

In approximately half an hour, the first two races had already been completed. Scootaloo had made the mistake of underestimating Scarlet’s abilities in the first race and thus had lost it, however she had won the second race with little struggle. Rainbow Dash had watched on from the side, making sure that she was always hidden and out of Scootaloo’s sight, she wouldn’t want her to think that she didn’t trust her. She had somehow resisted her powerful lust to intervene at the beginning of the first two races, using what Rarity had told her to calm herself down. Though now she was at the peak of the highest mountain for miles, and her lust only continued to bite away at her. She was surprised at how easily the older stallion had flown Scootaloo up to the top of it, she may have been impressed if she wasn’t so angry that an older pony was putting her Scootaloo in danger. The mountain was a fair distance from Ponyville. The town and the Everfree Forrest where mere specks in the distance. Rarity’s words became more and more faint in her mind as her fears once again took over, the mountain she stood on was ginormous, especially in comparison to the petite, orange filly, that she adored so deeply, that stood upon it; recklessly ready to ride down to a dangerously uncertain fate. Rainbow so desperately wanted to stop this final race from happening, the mental torment she had put herself through as she watched Scootaloo ride down the previous two races had been unbearable, she didn’t know if she would be able to bear it a third time. But she also knew how much her trust and respect meant to the filly, stopping her from racing would make her think that her idol didn’t have faith in her. She tried to rationalise the idea that Scootaloo was an experienced rider, that she would be fine, wouldn’t get hurt at all and would show that stallion what real speed looks like! The concept was practically impossible, but she knew that she had to try.

“Hey kid, you ready? Whoever wins this is the better rider.”

Scootaloo looked down the mountain with a worried expression, the fall suddenly seemed so steep. She got a weird, unclean falling that made her feel slightly sick in her stomach. Was… Was she scared? No. She couldn’t be. She never got scared on her scooter. And she had to prove to Scarlet, and herself, that she was a big mare, that she was old enough to do whatever she wanted.

“Em, kid, you ok?”

“Oh yeah, I’m good. Just thinking of all the different ways I could beat you!”

“Ha, you wish! Prepare to be out done!”

Scootaloo decided to push, whatever it was that came over her, out of her mind, so she could solely focus on the race, and the joy she would feel upon her victory. Rainbow Dash on the other hand, had failed to rationalise the idea of Scootaloo’s safety, all she could see was a tiny filly putting herself in harms way. Possibly even risking her life! Rainbow’s blood began to boil, her anger turning it to lava. It was here that she remembered the other important thing Rarity said.

“But, there will also be times where they will be in danger, and you will need to step in.”

This unchained any mental restraint Rainbow Dash had in stopping Scootaloo from racing. She launched herself from her hiding spot to save her.

“Okay, you ready kid?”

“As I’ve always been!"

“Then let’s get goin’. Three, two…”

Scarlet’s counted down was interrupted by a barrage of colour. Rainbow Dash cut through the air like a knife, grabbed Scootaloo and her scooter and held onto them both with a secure grip. She gave Scootaloo an aggravated look before putting her down far from the edge of the slope. She then went to express her frustrations at teenage stallion that almost got her little Scootaloo seriously hurt.

Scarlet looked at Rainbow with a face of pure terror, but also of wonder and shock. She knew Rainbow Dash lived in Ponyville, but Scootaloo knew her? She knew one of the fastest Wonderbolts? Of whom he had just enraged beyond any mercy.

“Now kid, I don’t know WHO in Celestia’s name you think you are! But if you think for a second that I’m just going to excuse anypony takin’ advantage of my little sister, then you’ve got another thing coming mister!”

Scarlet Speeder continued his look of terror and wonder, was Scootaloo really Rainbow Dash’s younger sister? Scootaloo just looked on at the scalding, feeling so very ashamed of herself, she knew it wouldn’t be long until Rainbow Dash turned to her.

“Look, I don’t care if it makes you feel big, or grown up, or just better about yourself! But putting tiny little fillies in danger is NEVER the answer to your problems. I mean, takin advantage of somepony so small and fragile is never okay. What if she had fallen, she would have gotten herself seriously hurt, and I don’t know if you know this, but she can’t fly yet! So, if she had lost her balance… Celestia. I don’t even wanna think about it!”

Rainbow began to feel her eyes swelling up, she was getting so emotional about everything today, this simply wasn’t like her. But that wasn’t important, what was important is that she had saved her little Scootaloo from harm and was enacting her vengeance on the pony responsible.

Scarlet gave Rainbow a confused look, Scootaloo had told him that her wings were injured, and that’s why she couldn’t fly. Moreover Rainbow had called Scootaloo a “tiny little filly”, but she was thirteen. Right?

“Em Rainbow Dash, I’m not one to get involved with your relationship with your sister, but you really should loosen up a little. I mean she’s not a little filly anymore, she’s thirteen, I wouldn’t dare put a little filly in danger…”

Scarlet looked as if he had a much longer speech planned in his head, but he was quickly interrupted by Rainbow Dash.

“Wait wait wait, did you just say thirteen? I hate to brake this to ya but… Say kid, whose idea was it to go down this mountain?”

“That would be your sister’s ma’am.” Scarlet stated without hesitation.

Rainbow finally put together what had happened.

“Oh, ha ha. I see what’s happened here kid. Look, you’re a great flyer, I saw how fast you got up here even with the weight of Scootaloo and the two scooters, but you really ought’a work on your common sense. Ya see, Scootaloo here.” She said rubbing the filly’s mane “is only eight.”

Scarlet gave Scootaloo a disappointed look.

“This true kid?”

“Yeah. Yeah it is.” Scootaloo replied, looking more and more embarrassed, failing to make eye contact with either of the older ponies.

Scarlet kneeled down in order to appear less threatening.

“You should ‘a just told me you were a filly Scootaloo, we’dve done something… A bit smaller yeah, but we still could ‘a had fun. And besides, my parents have to come here on business every few years anyway. Tell ya what, next time I’m here, you’ll be older, we can do this then, K?”

Scootaloo began to give a smile, she looked Scarlet in the eye and nodded. Though the stallion’s comment caused Rainbow to give a much sterner expression.

“Hey, easy pal. If you wanna get to Scootaloo, then your goanna have to get through me first!”

“Sorry! If you say it’s okay of course.”

Rainbow began to crack a smile.

“Ha, that’s better, but go on, me and our little friend here need to have a talk!”

Rainbow Dash gave a disappointed look to Scootaloo, who still couldn’t muster the courage to look her idol in the eye.

“Ha good look little one.” Scarlet said before flying off into the distance.

Rainbow was sure that she would one day see that young stallion at the Wonder bolt training camp. However, she quickly subsided that thought to focus her attention solely on Scootaloo.

“What were you THINKING Scootaloo, this mountain is WAY too steep for you! What if you’d have fallen, you’re SO small Scoots, I can’t bear to think what might have happened! Oh, and telling an older stallion that you’re thirteen, come on squirt, I thought you knew better than to lie!”

Rainbow Dash looked at the young filly, who looked tense, ashamed and very embarrassed, she had no intention of making her feel any worse than she already did.

“I’m not mad at you if that’s what ya think.”

“Re… Really?”

“Now what kinda pony would I be if I got mad from seeing you do something I did all the time when I was a filly.”

“What! You did this kinda stuff Rainbow Dash!”

“Absolutely! The amount of times my parents had to stop me from doing some ridiculous air trick that would’ve gotten me seriously hurt. Ha, I lost count when I was about six! Look Scootaloo, part of growing up is pushing the limits of what you can do, and that’s a good thing, you have all the potential in Equestria to be whatever pony you wanna be Scoots.”

Rainbow found her anger leaving her as she held Scootaloo in her forelegs and rubbed her mane, instead replacing it with a pride and happiness, of which she had never experienced before. Scootaloo also found her own embarrassment fade away into a blissful state of comfort that she sorely needed, she finally gained the ability to look her idol in the eye as she continued her lecture.

“But you need to accept that you are still a filly, that you can get hurt real easy. As much as I hate to admit it Scoots, as awesome as you are, as great as you’re gonna be, you’ve still got a tiny, little fragile body, and at this rate you’re going to get yourself into some serious trouble. I don’t know what I would do squirt… If I lost you then I… I just don’t know what I would do.”

Rainbow once again felt her eyes swelling up, she hadn’t known it, but she had been feeling this panic for Scootaloo’s safety for a long time now, it was good for her to finally express it.

“Scoots, I know you’re gonna keep bein’ you, you’re gonna keep being awesome and I’m gonna keep being there for you. But I need you to just be a little more careful for me. That fair?

Scootaloo had enjoyed being in the arms of her idol, though with her previous comments, she felt her confidence beginning to drain, was she really just a little filly? She gave the rainbow mare a stern look.

“So is that just what I am to you hu, just a little foal princess who can’t do anything for herself, who needs to be protected at all costs and babied all the time. I thought that you trusted me Rainbow Dash.”

“Now I didn’t say that Squirt, I mean Jeez I’m not Rarity.”

The two shared a little, innocent chuckle before Rainbow continued.

“I just want you to promise me that you’ll be more careful, ya know, be aware of your surroundings, know when to say no when things get too dangerous. I love you Scoots, and I won’t let you get hurt no matter what! Where sisters now squirt, you’re stuck with me.”

Scootaloo felt her eyes getting heavy. Had Rainbow Dash, the most awesome pony in all of Equestria, just told her that she loved her?

“Did… Did you mean that Rainbow Dash? Do… Do you… love me?”

Rainbow Dash looked at the filly and gave a bigger smile than she ever thought possible, the horrible fear that she had felt all day had finally been supressed, allowing for a much more sweat and tender feeling to enter her heart.

“Scootaloo, of course I do! You’re my little sister and I’m there for you, no matter what! I’ll be there to stop you if you’re about to do something stupid, if you ever need help or if you’re just scared for whatever reason, I know I’m not one for all the sappy an’ mushy stuff, but never feel like I won’t take what you’re going through seriously. An’ I may be busy sometimes squirt, but I’ll always have time for the toughest little pony when she ain’t feeling so tough.”

Scootaloo had never felt so welcomed and loved by anypony. She finally withered down and began to cry tears of joy, Rainbow Dash pulled her in for the hug of a lifetime. She felt proud of the little filly she had resting against her cyan fur. Having somepony so much smaller than herself take such happiness and comfort in her love felt just perfect.

“Ha, don’t go gettin’ to sappy on me now Scoots.” Rainbow said in a soft voice as she slowly stroked Scootaloo’s back with her hoof.

The two stayed in the hug for a very long time, Scootaloo loving each instance she had in her sister’s comforting embrace, by the time the she pushed away, the sun was already starting to set.

“Hey Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo asked in an innocent tone.

“Yeah Squirt?”

“Thanks for being my big sister.”

Scootaloo’s comment made Rainbow feel touched to her very core, though she couldn’t decipher why, she loved the feeling.

“Ha, no problem Sport, it’s my pleasure, just make sure you tell nopony about me gettin’ all sappy before. K?”

“I won’t if you won’t.”

“Then we’re gonna be okay little buddy. But come on now, let’s get you home, I know it’s not that late, but it is starting to get dark out, I bet your parents must be getting real worried about ya.”

Scootaloo’s happy and blissful demeanour diminished a little when Rainbow had said the word “parents.” Not enough for Rainbow to question her on the matter, but enough for her to notice.

“Em, thanks Rainbow, but I’m gonna be fine getting home by myself, I could, em, use the ride back to get my mind workin’ again.”

Rainbow Dash could tell that there was something bothering Scootaloo, she wanted to ask her about it, but didn’t want to ruin the incredible moment they had created together.

“Okay Squirt, but at least let me get ya on the ground, ‘cause guess again if you think your riding down.”

“Thanks Rainbow.”

The two hugged once more before Scootaloo got on her sister’s back and Rainbow flew down in what felt like less than a second back to the town that had previously just been a tiny speck in the distance.

“Okay now Squirt, its startin’ to get real dark out, are you sure you don’t want me to take you home?”

Scootaloo backed away a little from her sister, trying to hide how she felt with an adorable smile.

“Nope, I mean thanks for the offer an’ all, but I’m good Rainbow Dash.”

“Okay then, but head straight there, and don’t stop for anypony!”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. Thanks again Rainbow Dash, for everything.”

Rainbow looked at the little filly, winked at her and smiled.

“Ha, no problem Squirt.”

Rainbow hugged Scootaloo and kissed her on her forehead, before the filly rode off into the distance, eventually being engulfed by the town and leaving Rainbow’s vision. However, she had left Rainbow with many questions, why had words such as “parents” and “home” made the filly so uneasy. In fact, now that she thought harder, had she ever her with parents? No. No she hadn’t, not even to pick her up at the school gates. And wouldn’t they have taken an objection when Scootaloo told them about her idea of racing down the largest slope overlooking Ponyville? Shouldn’t they have? Rainbow had never even heard Scootaloo talk about her parents, let alone see her with them! This thought left Rainbow Dash very determined to find out what was happening to her precious sister behind closed doors. Though she couldn’t go to Scootaloo directly, her uneasiness to those certain words made it apparent that she would be unwilling to talk about the subject. No, she would have to ask everypony she knew for insight and clues, and though she hated the idea, she may even have to spy on Scootaloo, but if push came to shove she would. She had to make sure her little Scoots was okay, that she had ponies other than herself who loved and cared for her. Though she did not know how she would get them, she knew she needed answers. For her, and her little sister’s sake.

To be continued!

Comments ( 11 )

Oh puh-leeze! RD's parents never told her "no" in her life.

Can't wait for the next part.

8538090
Fair point :). They are awesome ponies.

8538090
Also, don't worry, the next part in this trilogy is on the way.

You have made quite an awesome story

8708716
I was attempting to take the moral of Some pony to watch over me, but execute it a little better by showing how to cope with over protective feelings. So essentially. Yes.

The mystery of Scootaloo continues.

8708935
She had a slight tummy bug, indeed. Nothing too major. But she worked all morning, instead of getting the rest she needed, which only made it worse. So, she went home and Rarity babied her until she fell asleep. That's when Rainbow Dash arrived.

9059896
There is absolutely no correlation between the our respective levels of writing. I critic others because I'm a human being with two functioning eyes, and that's all the justification I will ever need. I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything to anyone because I don't believe I'm gonna help anyone with that. And since life is not a anime people who absolutely suck at writing won't ever gonna just turn into great ones no matter who much they practice. People with enough talent to become a good writers are not gonna produce anything that would warrant a criticism as harsh as yours. And even if by some miracle there would be someone who's a brony, writes here, talented enough to become a successful novelist, and by some mysterious circumstances manages to produce something this bad, they would never be discouraged by a few harsh words. (And just for the record if you figured out a way to track my comments you would find this is far from my harshest criticism.)

This is a dangerous hobby you literally create something for other people to spit at. Don't act surprised when you find yourself covered in saliva.

And once you old enough you realise that if I don't hold you to my usually standard not only I would do a great disservice to you but also be disrespectful by suggesting that you are somehow physically or mentally incapable to meet my standards. And I don't think that. You are a human being and thus deserve nothing but my respect. It also comes with my fairness, but I don't think the two are separable in this case.

9060144
Okay, fair point. I apologise, I over reacted, as I have a tendency to do. I knew that this was going to happen eventually and I suppose it just snuck up on me.
As I said, I don't claim to be the greatest writer on Fimfiction, I have a LONG way to go before I can even consider myself to be on a level that's even close to that. But, I know that I have a glimmer of talent, my life would be in a very different place now if that weren't the case. Moreover, I know that I've grown a lot since writing that story. I know I uploaded it in November of 2017, but I wrote that story, at least a year before I uploaded it. Since then, I've taken creative writing classes and like to think that I've improved.
I planed on editing that story once I finished part three, but given the circumstance, it's fair to say that this needs to happen sooner rather than later. So feel free to read it again in a month or so. Or don't, we're both people here, with a lot of importance things to do.
Regardless, I wasn't deterred by your criticism, it was perfectly valid and any writer who can't see that is deluded by their own illusions of grandeur. I t was really the "you should feel bad for writing this" part that got to me a little. Still, it was wrong for me to respond like that, and I apologise.

Technically I was chastising you for not being able to decide what's bad and what's not.* There is a marked difference between the two.

*With the you "should feel bad part"

Login or register to comment