• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 1,615 Views, 6 Comments

Food Chain - the frank



It's morning in the Sunset/Dazzling residence, with all the wacky shenanigans and laughs you have when you are blood-thirsty predators.

  • ...
3
 6
 1,615

Chapter.

Sunset awoke from a heavy weight on her chest pushing her down in the matress. After a brief panic, she could feel movement, so it was something alive and not her house being destroyed. There were three options on what it was, then. She felt she wasn't ready to open her eyes just yet and so she decided to use her other senses. OK... It smells slightly of fish and the ocean. ...Bogger, that doesn't limit it off at all. Alright, so, how does it feel then. Sharp teeth... Nope, no help there. Large maw... Well, that excluded Snowshine at least. So, the fur... soft and a bit longer. Ah. So she opened her eyes.

"Eeeyawnh… Good morning, Senza..." The landshark was silent as always, but widened her nostrils in an affectionate way. Sunset stroke her pet on her head and down her back. Senza widened her nostrils and wagged her tail. Sunset smiled. "Does mommys little bumblefloof think that mommy has slept long enough? Yes you do... Want breakfast?" Senza shook her tail and jumped of Sunset's bed. The bramble-leopard hybrid landshark was very affectionate and cuddly as a puppy, but oh so heavy. With the burden off her, Sunset sat up in her bed, yawned, and looked around. Adagio's side of the bed was empty but there was no sound from the water pipes. So if she isn’t in the shower then she must be... Sunset left her room and followed her pet to the kitchen. She stopped outside Snowshine’s door and peaked through the slit. There Adagio was, sleeping like a baby, holding the pup like a teddy bear. Sunset smiled. She might tease Adagio for it later, when Snowshine wasn't listening. Her little love didn't like to admit she had nightmares, probably to impress her "mother".

In the kitchen, Senza stood ready wagging her tail. Sunset took five herrings from the aquarium and threw them in the bowl. The shark devoured them loudly. Sunset gave her shark a pat on her head and sat down at the table. She had just finished her first cup of coffee when the phone rang.

"Sunset Shimmer? Oh. Good morning, headmistress Cherilee! What? No, I'm free today, just have some papers to grade. Jump in for Mr. Waddle? Well, of course but... I don't know anything about typewriters. Paid overtime? Really? ... Last resort? But… Oh. OH. And that means only Trixie is left... I see. Oh yes, I'll come. Just give me time to dress. Yes. See you."

Sunset hung up, and sighed. Work. She was always the first to be called when some of her colleagues decided to get sick. But this time, apparently it was something really big, since the offers for extra money was rare. Sunset quickly dressed, took another cup and ran through the house in search for somepony being awake. Senza did her best to make her fall over as she tried to get under her legs all the time. Finally she found Aria glaring at her from her bed. Sunset explained and Aria blinked. Sunset decided the reaction being good enough and went to work. "Now Senza, mommy don't have time to walk you now. But be a good girl and we'll take a long swim in the lake later, OK?" The land shark blinked and widened her nostrils as Sunset closed the door and left.


With Sunset Shimmer opening the door it was no longer possible to ignore the sounds in the house, and Aria had grumpily accepted that waking up was unavoidable. However, going up was unnecessary, so she stayed in the warmth of her bed until something forced her out of it. That something came closer than she expected, as a voice broke the calm of her room. "Aria!"

"Can it, Sonata! I'm sleeping!" A slight pause followed.

"You answered, then you're awake."

"No, I'm not. Just pretending." Another pause.

"Aria... I can’t get the radio. You gotta help me."

"In the name of Kraken, Sonata! It's in the living room! Just get it!"

"I can't! You gotta help me!"

Aria sighed. Apparently it was easier to just help her retarded sister. She put on a jumper, nothing else, and walked out, while she muttered “Should have killed her when I had the chance...No… that would have been showing her too much mercy… Alright, bubblehead, what's. .." In the door path she froze. Splayed over the couch was Senza, and the radio was right under her left paw. She lifted her head, looked at the two Sirens and widened her nostrils.

"So... Aria... can you get the radio for me? I have stared at her for five minutes and it doesn't help at all!"

Aria sighed. It was probably Thursday.


Adagio awoke with the same pressure as Sunset, except for the smell of ocean and fish being much thicker and with a slight hint of beaver. Spread over her torso was Snowshine, fully transformed and very much asleep. Adagio looked around and then she smiled. Nothing wrong with her reflexes at least. But they needed to have a word about those nightmares.

Lack of sleep makes you weak, and ponies are weak. Hippocampi were strong.
...Alright, Sunset Shimmer was a little better than the rest. She is a bit like a hippocampi. A small bit, but still.

There was commotion from the living room, and Adagio frowned. Was it to much to ask to have some quiet mornings? She got up, undressed, and went for the kitchen. She wasn't particularly fond of her pony form, and when she passed the hallway mirror she didn't throw it a single glance. In the kitchen, she stopped in front of the refrigerator and hesitated. She wasn't hungry but... well, Sunset kept nagging her about eating regularly so she decided to have some tea. She and her sisters had decided that tea was the only good food-related object that pony kind had created. That and the usage of lemons. Lemon was a fruit and not an invention but she had to admit it made oysters taste a bit better. So one and a half.

"Motheradagio?" She looked up from her cup and saw Snowshine standing in the doorway. She was back in her pony form and wore a by now rather ripped pajama. Adagio prepared to scold her, but decided to try Sunset's approach. Talking.

"Come here, Snowshine. Now, we have talked about this. Names. So, what's my name?"

"Adagio."

"Good. And even if "Motheradagio" is almost the same, I want you to call me Adagio. Because a name is something we cherish. Alright?"

Snowshine looked down at the floor, and nodded. Then she looked up. "Although, Mother Sunset permits me to call her 'Mother'." Adagio smiled.
"Sunset is a pony, Snowshine. They are fools like that. However... If she tells you to call her mother then you shall. "

"I greatly enjoy calling her mother."

"I know." Adagio hoped it would grow away eventually but at the moment she led it pass. Snowshine was an anomaly as a whole so why couldn't she have some fun. Besides, it made Sunset happy. And for some reason, Adagio wanted Sunset to be happy. Mostly.

"You want some breakfast?" Snowshine shook her head. "Well, then let's go and look at the entertainment."

"What kind of entertainment?"

"Your aunts playing ‘top of the food chain’ with Senza."


One hour had not gotten Aria and Sonata an inch closer to the radio. Sure, they had gotten her to move from the couch and made sure that Senza was well aware of her place and that she would face instant death should she step out of line. ..

...But that didn't stop her from grabbing the radio and taking it with her everytime she moved. Landsharks could be surprisingly agile when they wanted, especially when they knew their environment 100%. And so they had gone from the living room to the bathroom to Sonata's room, down in the basement and out in the garden, back into the living room and still Senza had the radio. Aria finally decided that this was not her problem and went back to bed and so, Adagio and Snowshine found only Sonata with the shark. Adagio couldn’t help but smirk at her sister. "So, radio hunting, Sonata. Any luck?"

"Does it look like that? This meatblob denies me my 'iron filly!'

"That show was on over an hour ago, Sonata.”

"It's the principal now! I want the radio!"

Adagio blinked and pinched her nose. "Aria has a point sometimes... Alright, Sonata. I'll help."

Adagio gave out a low, moaning sound that instantly made the landshark look at her. Then she showed her teeth, gave a low groan and pointed first at the radio, then at the floor. Reluctantly she walked over to Adagio and sat the radio down in front of her. And then she looked back on her. Adagio still had her teeth barred and said one word. "Out." The shark turned, and left the room. Adagio walked over the room and gave Sonata the radio.
"Here. Enjoy the news."

Sonata shook her head. "I don't get it. Why can't I do that?"

"Because, Sonata, there is a difference between respect and fear. If you are stronger, you get feared, as you very well know. If you are intelligent as well, you get respected."

"I am intelligent."

Adagio smiled. "Sure, Sonata. And of course you closed the door to your room earlier?"

"No... why would I've done that?"

"As I said. Intelligence will lead to respect."

Sonata shook her head and left the room. Snowshine looked after her. "I don’t understand. Aunt Sonata can be very wise, moth...Adagio?"

“She can, Snowshine. But wise and intelligent are not the same.”

Snowshine blinked. “Is that so? How?”

Adagio smiled. "You will soon find out." And then, a loud roar filled the house, and soon Sonata was back, teeth bared and eyes burning. "Where is she? Where is the damn flea circus! I will kill her and then murder her!"

"Out in the garden hunting cats I think."

"Aunt Sonata. .. Please tell me why you are so angry?" Snowshine looked at her aunt with honest interest, Sonata was furious beyound self-control.

"That walking tv-dinner PEED IN MY BED!"

And she was out. Adagio smiled to her daughter. "And that, my dear Snowshine, is the difference between being the predator and get feared and showing intelligence and get respect. "


Another hour passed. Snowshine had brushed her teeth, got dressed and went to play with her Lego. Adagio herself had taken a long, nice shower. Their own well and a magic-driven water heater had made all of their lives so much more pleasant. She had spotted Aria two times skulking around the house. It was most probable that she was going hunting or preparing for a hunt. She mostly did, hunting was Aria’s life, and she was the best of them. She could stalk a prey for hours, and even Manticores ran when they found her scent. And it was always too late… Oh yes, Adagio had seen Aria hunt. How much different life was from when they first entered this bleach premise of a life.

She had no idea where Sunset was, but she assumed she was at the school. Sunset Shimmer… Her mind wandering was broken by Sonata who grumpily walked in from the garden.

“Any luck killing the blob, Sonata?”

“Does it look like that? That walking bloodbag got to her hiding place first. And there she stayed.”

“Have you considered taking the shovel and dig her out?”

“Several times. But Sunset Shimmer put a lock on the shed.”

“Ah. So, what’s your plan for today?”

Sonata gave Adagio one of her very rare glares. “I have to clean my room.”

“That won’t take the whole day, would it?”

“I HATE cleaning my room, Adagio. It will take me at least one hour to find the energy to convince me to do it. And then…”

Adagio cut her off. “Alright, alright. You have your day done. I don’t need details. Go and build up.”

“What are YOU going to do, Adagio?”

“I am going to let banana-stuck-up make me a dress.”

“Why?”

“Because, in spite of her being an extremely weak example of mud-crawler, she do know clothes. And I need clothes.”

“There is no way in Mareiana trench she would agree to that.”

“If that PRINCESS has anything in this “Friendship is guano”-nonsense, this little note should help.” Adagio produced a small paper from her pocket where some words were scrambled. Besides, I’ll allow her to play with my hair.”

Sonata was baffled. “No-one gets to play with your hair, Adagio.”

“No. Buuut… If it gets the prey closer…”

Sonata smiled. “NOW you’re talking! Alright, have a nice day!” And with that, she was out.

Adagio rose from the table and walked out into the living room. There she found Snowshine resting on top of Senza who once again occupied most of the sofa.

“Playing with your food again, I see.”

Snowshine frowned ever so slightly. “As she is useful to me in this way and she is preferable as alive and warm in contrast to dead, stiff and cold, I prefer her this way, Adagio mother.”

Adagio was never sure if she were to scold her daughter for talking back or be impressed by her wit. She chose the latter. There still was the chance that she would use her venom… Small, actually abysmal… but still there. She wondered why Sunset never was worried about that. Silly ponies. Didn’t see death even if it was in their face.

“Indeed. Well, snowshine, I am going out. Try to behave while I am gone, will you?”

“Have I ever disappointed you in that regard, Adagio Mother?”

“...No. Alright, I’ll see you later.”


Sonata was surprised by herself. It had only taken her two yellings and one death threat to make her clean her room, and now it was eleven o’clock and time for a snack. She walked to the fridge, but there was nothing appetizing there. In the living room she found Snowshine and Senza, both sleeping on top of the other. Now, they would make an excellent snack… But it wasn’t worth being killed over it. She sat down in a chair and sighed. And then the phone rang. Immediately Snowshine got up, and answered.

“Yes, number nine? Oh, hello mrs. Belle-Silver! No, Mother is not at home. Yes, probably at work. Alright. I beg your pardon? Ah. Yes. Yes, inform her that I would very much like to do that. Yes. I’ll be right over.”

She hung up and turned to Sonata. “Aunt Sonata, please inform mother and Adagio Mother that I am going to the Silver residence to play videogames with Silver Belle. I believe the exercise will do some good to my peripetal senses. Good day.”

And then she was out, leaving a gaping Sonata. Who was still hungry. Who just saw the greatest obstacle from having something to eat walk out the door. And then she turned her eyes to Senza, who blinked and widened her nostrils. Sonata grinned, and bared her teeth.

“Payback time, Blob! Or should I call it… Lunchtime!” She giggled and jumped.


15 minutes later… no scratch that, 20 minutes later, Sonata awoke. She was lying on the floor of the kitchen, covered in porcelain and with milk stains all over. No sign of Senza, however, Aria sat at the table, munching on something.

As a hippocampi, even in her pony form, Sonata was the bigger and meaner predator. Senza shouldn’t stand a chance. But that was out in her natural habitat. Senza had, in spite of her size some kind of strange advantage. She could disappear between furniture, or slip through openings that should be too small for her. And she could jump from the second floor and not hurt herself. That meant Sonata alone could never catch her. It didn’t stop her from trying though. And it usually ended with her on the floor.

“Well, Sonata. The animals are probably regretting that you weren’t with me in the forest today. What I just witnessed was probably the worst hunt ever.”

“Oh, shut your krill-hole, Aria!” Aria payed no attention to the insult.

“Today it’s opossum day. Want one?” Sonata shone up. “Opossum-thursday! Great! Yes, would love to!”

“Take the small one. I’m stuffed.”

“Thanks.” She bit down on the still warm treat. It tasted fresh and slightly salty. “You...mmmm… had it running for a *gulp* bit?”

“Brings out the peppery taste. Eat quick, though. I don’t think Adagio…” And of cource, in that instant, the same entered the kitchen.

“WHAT has happened here?”

“Sonata tried to get Senza again.”

“Sonata, we have talked about this. One day we will take her down, but not now, okay. And besides, why is there milk all over the floor?”

“Sonata threw the package at Senza.”

“I am going to regret asking this, Sonata, but why milk?” Sonata looked down at her feet, and Aria answered again.

“She opened the fridge to get the meat cleaver, but I guess she grabbed the wrong thing. And she didn’t even hit the damn shark either.”

Sonata looked up and gave Aria the raspberry. “As if you would have, Aria!”

“I would. I never miss.”

“Not true! You missed me yesterday!”

“No I didn’t.”

“Sure you did! You were aiming for my chest, but you hit me in my butt!”

“What do you think I was aiming for? Besides, it’s no challenge hit a target that big.”

“WHY YOU…” Seconds later there were more porcelain on the floor, and even some blood mixing with the milk. Adagio sighed. Let them wrestle out the worst, maybe bite a piece of ear off, and then force them to clean.


Two hours later, Sunset arrived home. The day had not been that long, but she was exhausted. Who could have guessed type-writing could be so intense! Inside, she found food on the table, her own usual salad and a huge plate of bloody parts that at least in some way looked like a platypus and a huge jug of water. Adagio and Snowshine was sitting down, tearing in small pieces of flesh. When she entered, Snowshine smiled, rose and gave her mother a hug. Sunset hugged her back, and leaned over the table to give Adagio a kiss on her cheek. She didn’t want to taste blood today.

“Hello, mother’s little love. Snowshine, how’s you day been?”

“I had a good nap with Senza, then I played videogames with Silver Belle. It was a 60-40 ratio in my favour. And then I chased cats with Senza.”

“Oh. Did you catch any?”

“No… The stupid things can climb trees….”

Sunset coughed, but smiled. She enjoyed those rare times when Snowshine showed her inner three-year old. "Well… In time, you will learn. Adagio, love, anything special happened while I was gone?”

Adagio thought about it. Sonata trying to kill Senza, then almost smashing the kitchen to pieces, then trying to kill Aria and without any real reason almost smashing the toilet to pieces…

“No” she replied. “Nothing out of the ordinary.”

Author's Note:

You take the baby, take it to the living room, stop it at the lobby, do the choka-choka, living on the line, stepping out the front floor to the ceiling where there's no bottom at all!

This is Snowshine. And here is Silver Belle with her mommas. I regret nothing.

Comments ( 6 )

LOL, I bet Mustlvoefrogs would love this. :twilightsmile: I know I did.

8537319
She was quite pleased, yes. :)

8537462
I loved the images of slap stick Tom and Jerry I got in my head thinking about Sonata and Senza. :scootangel:

8537463
Thanks! That was what I was aiming for.

Honestly, I pictured something more along the lines of Benny Hills music with Sonata chasing senza through the house.

9737165
Played by metallica, it would fit perfectly! :twistnerd:

Login or register to comment