• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 803 Views, 16 Comments

Chasing Sunshine - UltraCombo



Ultra has everything at the moment: friends, nice house, an awesome job. But he is missing something

  • ...
 16
 803

When Skies Are Grey

Whispers laid in bed, alone in her room. All of the doctors had cleared out to give her time to rest, but she simply couldn't. Her mind couldn't get off Ultra. She felt awful, knowing that she caused Ultra such pain. She no longer felt as much pain from her own bruises, only the aching pain that she had caused him pain.

She sat up, wincing from the pain, and looked at the button to call the nurse. She reached over tentitively, her hoof hovering over it. She bit her lip, pressed it, and waited.

A nurse entered the room shortly after. "What can I do for you, Miss Whispers?" she asked with a smile.

She jumped a little. "Uhm...I...uhm...I was...uh...I was...was wondering...if...if..." She stammered and stuttered uncontrollably. She watched as the nurse stood in the doorway, waiting patiently. She swallowed, making a gulping noise. She just wanted to see Ultra, talk to him now that she was calmed down. "Some...water...maybe..."

"Certainly. Be back in a moment." the nurse said, exiting room.

Whisp sighed and sat back. If only she could muster up the courage...if only-

All of a sudden there was a knocking at her door. Hmm? That was quick. "Uhm...c-come in?"

The door slowly opened, and standing in the doorway to her room was Ultra Combo. "Umm...hi." Ultra said nervously.

Whispers's eyes went wide. "U-Ultra?"

"Yeah...Hey, Whisp...Can I come in?" Ultra asked. Whispers stared, eyes wide. Nopony ever called her Whisp. Her heart started to race, as it was shown on the monitor. "A-Are you okay?" Ultra asked, concerned.

She nodded quickly. "A-are you?"

"Umm...yeah. Now that I know that you're okay, I mean." Ultra said, stepping into the room and sitting down next to her bed.

Whisp froze and her back stiffened. A long moment passed until she said, "Why...?"

Ultra looked confused, but said, "Well...because...if I had just left you out there, you might have died..." He hesitated. "...And Equestria would have lost a really beautiful girl. I couldn't allow that."

Instantly, Whispers's heart moniter began to slow, a blush spreading across her face. "Oh...uhm...really?"

"Yeah. I especially like your mane." He smiled at her, happy that she was warming up to him. However, in Whispers's head, she was beginning to have doubts.

Nopony cares about you like this. He's just some random stranger.

Her eyes flickered and expression went blank.

He's lying...

"Whispers...are you okay?" Ultra asked, noticing her sudden mood swing.

Tears dripped down her cheek. She said nothing and turned her head away, her emotions confused and jumbled. "Just..." She choked back a sob.

"Are...are you crying?" The sight of the unicorn's tears broke Ultra's heart. Suddenly, his body betrayed his mind for a moment and he gently gave Whispers a hug as to not hurt her. "I'm sorry if I said something. I'll...I'll go if you want me to." Whispers's body tensed. He didn't like it when anypony touched her. Her shoulders trembled and shook. Ultra felt her body tense so he backed off, confused. "I'm...I'm sorry..." he said, turning to leave, wondering what he did to upset her.

White magic engulfed the door and it swung open. "Get out!!! Get out!!!!"

Ultra trudged out of the room. He was distraught, not knowing what he had done to cause such an outburst. However, before he could formulate any thoughts, he heard a loud CRASH from Whispers's room and dashed back. When he got back to the room, he saw Whispers on the floor, panicking. Her IV had been ripped out and blood spurted from the entry point. He saw that her heartbeat monitor had been bucked in. She locked eyes with him as tears poured from her eyes, collapsed on the floor, crying and hyperventilating.

"Whispers!!!" Ultra bolted to her side and put a hoof on the bleeding to stop it. "Oh my Celestia...Somepony help!!" At first no doctors responded. Panicking, Ultra's mind began to wander, until suddenly a memory resurfaced from his childhood as he looked into the mare's terrified eyes.

-------------

10 years ago

CRACKA-BOOOOOM!!!

"AAAAAAAH!!" Ultra cowered under his blankets as the storm raged on outside his window, lightning striking constantly and thunder shaking the house.

Ultra's door opened, and his mother entered the room. "Honey, everything his okay..." she said, petting the lump in Ultra's sheets.

"N-n-n-no it's not!" Ultra stammered.

Blueprint lifted the covers over Ultra's head and looked him in the eye. "Now, Ultra Combo. I heard someone tell me you where the bravest colt to ever live. You wouldn't want to prove them wrong would you?" Ultra reluctantly shook his head. "Well, stay brave, little Ultra. Everything will be fine." She hugged Ultra close, and Ultra closed his eyes, trying to block out the thunder. She knew there was only one way to calm her little boy down. She started to sing...

You are my sunshine.
My only sunshine.
You make me happy,
when skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
how much I love you.
So, please don't take,
my sunshine away...

-------------

Ultra sat there, contemplating that night, and knew it was the best course of action he could think of. So, he propped up Whisper's head and began to sing.

You are my sunshine.
My only sunshine.
You make me happy,
when skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
how much I love you.
So, please don't take,
my sunshine away...

As doctors began entering the room, she looked up at him, confused by this care he was taking over her. Why was he doing this? Why did he care?

A doctor rushed up to Ultra. "You! Get out of here!" He turned to another doctor. "Yes, bring it..." The doctor rushed out and returned with a needle and sedatives.

Oh no...No...

"No!!!" Whispers screamed, curling up on the floor, mind going back into panic.

Ultra stood in defiance of the nurses. "Back off for one minute!" he cried to them. A doctor shoved passed Ultra and approached Whispers, needle in hoof.

"Boy, you know nothing. Now get out of here!" The doctor stuck the needle into Whispers's arm and pressed down on the plunger. Instantly, Whispers became fuzzy, losing consciousness. The last thing she saw before completely blacking out was Ultra's face, staring down at her in concern.

------------

About an hour later, Whispers awoke. Upon opening her eyes, she noticed she was in a new room. This room seemed much more isolated and quiet. Her mind was foggy, and her vision was cloudy. She tried to move, but couldn't. The pain was too great.

Just before she decided to go back to sleep, she heard a sound coming from the side of the bed. Carefully, she turned and looked at the floor beside her bed. There, curled up on the floor, was Ultra. "Ultra?" she said weakly.

Whispers's voice woke Ultra from his slumber, and he turned to face her. "Huh...Whispers?"

"Y-your...still here?"

He sat up and yawned. "Yeah...I couldn't leave a friend like that, could I?"

She blinked. "F...Friend?"

"Yeah. Or...do you not want to be my friend?"

"You...you shouldn't be friends with me..."

"What? Why?"

She looked out the window, her eyes sad, "It never works out..."

"Well, worth a shot, right?" he said, smiling to her.

"You almost died out there for me...Why try?"

"Because...I dunno. I was drawn to you. I...I really have no idea why. I've never done anything like that for anypony...you...you're special." he said, emphasizing the word "special".

She was a sad, shy, negative pony. Her mind thought differently, and she had experienced what nopony should ever have to experience. She was secretive, and didn't trust others easily. "Ultra...you...you live close to me...I've seen you before."

"Oh, really? Where do you live?"

"Quarters Apartments..." She said the name quietly.

"Oh wow, that is close!" He smiled at her, happy he could talk to her now. "I'm sorry for whatever I did last night..." She said nothing. After a long silence, Ultra said, "Hey, Whispers?...Maybe...after you're all healed up...would you like to...I dunno...go do something with me?" Ultra's heart pounded.

She lowered her head, quietly responding, "M-maybe..."

"Really? Aw, that's awesome!" Ultra smiled at her, hoping maybe he could get one out of her. "Well...you look really tired. You'd better get some shuteye." he said.

"O-Okay..." she said, curling back up in her blanket. Quietly, she said, "Goodnight, Ultra."

Ultra smiled. "Goodnight...Whisp." Ultra fell asleep with a smile on his face, hoping he could one day make her smile as well.

Comments ( 4 )

Not bad. Worth a thumbs up and a fav. I hope you continue this story....

Go on, am likeing it so far.

Liking the story so far, keep it up! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment