• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 802 Views, 16 Comments

Chasing Sunshine - UltraCombo



Ultra has everything at the moment: friends, nice house, an awesome job. But he is missing something

  • ...
 16
 802

Whispers's Savior

"Why, helloooooooo missy." The large pony sneered at Whispers as she trembled under the gryphon's grasp. "Claws. Take her bits." The gryphon named Claws stepped forward and yanked on bag around her neck. Whispers struggled against the gryphon's powerful tug, grabbing trying to grab the bag from him.

"N-No!" she yelled at the gryphon, who was laughing at her efforts. Frantically, she scanned the alley for weapons she could use against her attackers, and her eyes locked onto the mug of hot cocoa laying in the snow, the cocoa safely preserved inside the cup. On instinct, she grasped the mug with her magic and, in one swift motion, flung the hot cocoa from the mug in into the faces of the pony and the other gryphon.

The two cried out, causing Claws to spin around. Acting quickly and on impulse, she shattered the empty mug against his skull, knocking him to the ground.

Whispers immediately turned to run, but was tripped by the other gryphon. She hit hard, her nose impacting with the hard ground. She slowly looked up to see a brown earth pony, just staring into the alley. "Please...help me..." she barely got out. The earth pony responded by turning and walking away.

Tears streamed down her face as she felt another pull on her tail. However, this time, she was tossed into the side of a nearby dumpster. The pain was terrible, because of the raw power of the half-lion, half-eagle. Looking back up, she saw him wake up Claws. But that's not all she saw.

WHACK!!!

A hoof. The impact was unspeakably painful. She managed the open her tear-filled eyes to see the large pony staring down at her, his eyes full of rage and disdain. "Ooooooh...ooooh you are REALLY gonna regret doing that little lady, if my name ain't Brass Knuckles."

He struck again, this time square in the gut, taking away her breath. Panic was setting in, be it from the mugging or the fact that she couldn't breathe. "Jackle." Brass called to the other gryphon, "Get her bits. Obviously Claws can't handle ONE useless little filly."

"Right away, boss." Jackle walked up to Whispers and pulled on the bag, breaking the string around her neck. Whispers didn't try to get it back. She was defeated.

Jackle opened the bag and emptied the contents into his hand. "'Bout 60 bits here, boss."

"Well, that's a pretty good haul..." he said, slowly leaning down to a beaten and broken Whispers who was sobbing profusely. "However...its not gonna pay for what you did to us." And with that, a hoof struck her in the head, and her world went dark.

The three still mercilessly beat on her unconscious body, until, all of a sudden, a voice called out from down the alley. "Hey! Buckheads! Get your hooves and talons OFF OF HER!"

The three turned around to see a blue pegasus glaring at them, wings outstretched. "Well, well, well...seems we got a vigilante on our hands, boys." They laughed as they approached him.

"Let her go. And leave her bits." Ultra said, trying his best to be intimidating.

"Why?" asked Brass, chuckling to himself, "Who is gonna make us? You? This is none of your dang business, kid."

"Yes it is." With that, Ultra spun around quickly and bucked Brass Knuckles in the jaw, causing him to cry out and fall to the ground. Instantly, the Claws lunged forward and tackled Ultra to the ground, raining blows on him over and over. Ultra overcame him however throwing him off and getting back up.

Brass dashed away, grabbing the bit bag and flapping his wings to gain altitude. "Boss! Where are you going?!" Jackle called after him.

"You guys are on your own. I'm outta here!" Ultra shot his gaze towards Brass and instinctively rocketed into the sky after him. Brass's large size slowed him down, and allowed Ultra to catch up to him easily, tackling him to the ground below. However, as they hit the ground, Ultra was shifted underneath Brass, and the pegasus's weight and the speed of the fall managed the hit Ultra hard, dislocating his right wing. Ultra screamed out in pain, but shook it off. Now wasn't the time to hurt. It was the time to make THEM hurt.

With his one bad wing dangling limply at his side, he continued his assault, wildly lashing out at the muggers. No matter how much pain they dealt him, he kept fighting back determined to help the mare. Eventually, they backed off, and Ultra knelt by Whispers and extended his one good wing in defense. The wing bared the bit bag, which he had managed the steal back from Brass. "Now...BACK OFF!!!" Ultra screamed at her attackers through deep breaths.

"Boss...this guy is serious." Jackle whispered to Brass.

"Yeah..." Brass responded. "FINE. We'll leave. But hear this, bucko! We'll be back for you! AND for her!" And with that, Brass and his goons took off into the shadows.

Ultra relaxed his body, which probably wasn't the best idea, since all of the built up pain suddenly rocked his nerves as he grunted and cringed. He turned back to the unicorn. "Hey...hey, are you okay?" There was no response.

Oh no...am I too late?

"Ultra? Oh, ponyfeathers. What happened to y'all?"

Applejack's familiar voice was unmistakable. She dashed to Ultra's side. "Mah stars, you look like you just got in one heck of a fight!"

"I did." Ultra gestured over to Whispers. "Could you do me a favour...and check her into Ponyville General?"

"What about you?"

"I'll...be fine. It's not too far from here...After you do, come back...and tell Joy I'm alright...okay?"

"Sure thing, sugarcube. She can stay at the farm tonight."

"Thanks Applejack." Ultra helped Applejack lift Whispers onto her back, and then she took off for Ponyville General. Ultra started towards there too, but at a much slower pace.

Why did he get involved? He could have just walked away and his life would be unchanged. But...maybe that's WHY he did it. Or maybe it was the desperate look in the unicorn's beautiful eyes. Either way, he knew it wasn't the last he would see of her. Not by a longshot.