• Published 1st Sep 2017
  • 1,382 Views, 6 Comments

Like Night and Day - Dire_Straits



Spike finds himself in a mess when he has a revelation about his feelings toward a certain Changeling King.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,382

Epiphany

Author's Note:

Chapter One of a series I'll hopefully finish? I'm a huge procrastinator and have several other stories I really need to finish and add to. Anyways, hope this first chapter hits off well enough to gather some constructive criticism.

"Spike... Spike, what's wrong? You've been quiet ever since Thorax and Ember left."

"I'm fine, Twilight... just... fine," Spike mumbled with an exasperated sigh. He wasn't fine and he was doing a terrible job of convincing Twilight Sparkle otherwise. He looked up as she suddenly stepped in front of him, looking rather peeved.

"Spike, if there's something wrong... you can tell me, let me help. You're my number one assistant and... you're like my foal, you know it hurts me when you won't let me know what's going on when something is bothering you," Twilight lipped with quite a bit of sadness in the tone of her voice. She knew something was amiss and knew that it had at least something to do with today's events. Though she was bothered more that Spike wouldn't be open about what was troubling him. Sure, he had held back a few things before, but that was normally because it was something between themselves, but that certainly didn't seem like the case this time.

Spike regarded Twilight with an apologetic look, "I'm sorry, Twilight, but it's just not... it's just not something I want to talk about," he answered as he stepped into his own private room and shut the door, locking it.

The alicorn hung her head in defeat, "Ugh, I shouldn't worry." She paced outside his door, remaining otherwise quiet as she thought to herself, "Okay, just mind your business, Twilight. Spike's entitled to some privacy too," she whispered to herself. There was clearly an internal struggle going on in the mare's mind as she debated with herself. "He'll tell me later... I'm sure he will... or maybe he won't, maybe he'll just let it get to him," Twilight furiously shook her head, distraught over the whole thing. She took a really deep breath and then slowly allowed it to escape, "Okay... I'll just leave him alone for now... and see what happens."

Spike groaned and rubbed a scaly paw across his face as he heard Twilight's footsteps fading away as she finally stopped pacing in front of his door, "I thought she'd never leave. Now maybe I can just try to relax and get my.... my mind off things," Spike murmured, the words igniting a sudden flash of photogenic scenes that played through his mind on fast forward. It made his gut twist in knots, it made him feel heavy. "Ugh, why am I feeling like this? He's... they're just friends, they just met... yet I can't help," Spike buried his head underneath one of the many pillows and began crying heavily. He was confused, he hated these feelings he was apparently harboring. He didn't even have a reason to have them to begin with!

"Why are you jealous... what's wrong with you?," Spike addressed the reflection in a mirror.

The reflection suddenly smiled wryly, "You dope, you know what's wrong," it answered back with his own voice. His reflection examined him with a scrutinizing stare, "You're in love... with Thorax."

The real Spike's jaw dropped, "No... no-no-no, that's impossible... I mean... he's ... a male, and I'm a male. That's not how it works." Spike was going red in the face from embarrassment at such an accusation, but more so cause he was in denial of the truth.

Spike's reflection grinned, "Oh please... the flame in your heart was kindled the moment you two got to know each other in the Crystal Empire." Reflection Spike paced back and forth a little, "You felt it even back then, but you just thought it was the happiness of having a new friend. Alas, it was the seedling of love that's now blossomed into a flower of passion with passing time."

Spike looked a bit disgusted, "Okay... I so do not talk like that," he jabbed a finger out toward his reflection, "Secondly, I can't love Thorax... he's a changeling, I'm a dragon. It doesn't work, it CAN'T work," Spike said with denial disguised as assured confidence.

The reflection sighed rather deeply, "Spike, my personality is entirely based on your own emotions, desires and feelings. I'm acting like the you on the inside," the reflection explained. "Also, love doesn't take species and sex into consideration. You can sit there and continue to deny what you feel, it's your burden to carry." The reflection offered Spike a warm smile, "It's okay though... you should really talk to Twilight about it, she's eager to help."

Spike scoffed, "Ooooh no, the last thing I need is her knowing what I'm going through. Besides that, I," Spike suddenly turned his gaze to the ground,"I don't want her to be disappointed in me." He paced in front of the mirror, his reflection watching him with crossed arms, "I don't even know if this is acceptable... I mean, I don't know any couples who are both mares or stallions." He stopped with his back turned to the mirror, shaking his head as he stared blindly up at the ceiling, "No... it's just best I keep it to myself for now, maybe they'll go away."

"No, I won't let that happen, Spike," came the familiar voice of a mare, whom now seemed to shimmer into existence beside the mirror. It was Twilight Sparkle, whom had cloaked herself in an illusion incantation.

Spike's reflection in the mirror just eyed Spike with a knowing expression, "Yes, I knew she was here the whole time... she's the one who enchanted me, after all."

Spike now remained still, tears swelling up in the corners of his eyes as they became consumed in a burning hate, "You.. you were spying on me... you little," Spike was suddenly silenced as the alicorn took him into an embrace, holding him tightly against her body. He could tell she was sobbing lightly as she held him within her fore legs.

"I'm sorry Spike, I'm really sorry... I don't expect you to forgive me, but just know I would never be disappointed in you for loving someone." She pulled back, looking down at him as tears ran down her face, "You were hurting so much, it was hurting me. I don't care who you love Spike, I just want to know you're happy."

Spike and Twilight spent the rest of the day just talking and being close, their discussions revolved around Thorax and how and if Spike would reveal how he felt. The mirror occasionally offering it's input whenever Spike seemed to be holding back. By the end, it was agreed. Spike would confront Thorax with his feelings, ... for better or worse.

Comments ( 6 )

Hmm... I'll see where this goes from here.

Love it. Keep it up!

"No, I won't let that happen, Spike," came the familiar voice of a mare, whom now seemed to shimmer into existence beside the mirror. It was Twilight Sparkle, whom had cloaked herself in an illusion incantation.

Spike's reflection in the mirror just eyed Spike with a knowing expression, "Yes, I knew she was here the whole time... she's the one who enchanted me, after all."

I didn't know Twilight was capable of such magic (the enchantment of the mirror). When I first read this, I thought it was Discord sneaking up on Spike.

Anyway, I really like where this is going, especially since as someone who ships both Spirax and Spember, I wasn't too keen on Thorax and Ember getting close in that episode. So my feelings kind of channel Spike's in this story. I remember thinking something along the lines of, "Please, no! Don't ship these two!"

I hope you continue on with this story soon, if at all. Not trying to rush you, but it has been a month.

You know, I really, really hate to do this to a story that I'm interested in. Especially when it has only one chapter. However, I do have my own rules to follow, and I'm afraid that you've left me with no choice.

By the power invested in me, myself and I, (since this story hasn't updated in over six months) I hereby declare this story to be dead. May it forever rest in peace.

P.S. Welcome to the Graveyard.

8794050
I'm sorry. D: My spirit for writing has been on a long hiatus! <3

8794343
Here's to hoping to see a resurrection.

Login or register to comment