• Published 23rd Feb 2023
  • 536 Views, 31 Comments

Oxygen - Ironfire Skies



Spitfire writes a song dedicated to her two teammates who started dating a week ago. A wonderbolt story starring Soarin, Rainbow Dash, Spitfire and the rest of the members of the Bolts.

  • ...
2
 31
 536

Planning the Surprise At The Pool (1/2)

Planning the Surprise At The Pool
By: Sango - Blazer Skies


After admiring the site for the new pool Thunder installed, Spit trots to the storage located on the southeast side of the area. She trots southeast, as directed by the signs spray painted on the ground. Eventually she arrives at the shed with a few seconds to spare. She opens the door to see items any pony would need: goggles, beach balls, a net for pool maintenance, extra bottles of sunscreen with 50 spf and plenty of beach bags. The Wonderbolt Captain gasps at the amount of supplies the shed held.

"Unbelievable!" Spitfire said loudly.

Meanwhile, General Thundershine and her younger cousin Blaze are setting up three lounge chairs located by the pool. They assemble customized towels with one of the Wonderbolt's various symbols; a yellow lightning bolt with white feathered wings. Blazer turns to see Spit in the distance, with her head peering inside the shed. She immediately lets out her most brash laugh ever, after hearing Spitfire mutter out loud.

"Ha-ha-ha!! " Blazer laughs, as she loses her grip of the other towels.

Spitfire takes her head away from the shed and turns to see Blazer laughing at her. Her brow furls back as she turns into a slight tomato. "You heard that, didn't you Blazer?" Spit then closes the door.

Blazer nods as she takes a breath to stop her laughter. "Well of course, no pony else did. It was hilarious hearing you say your thoughts out loud".

Thundershine wasn't paying attention to the chatter between Blazer and Spit. She was still focused on setting up the rest of every pony else's pools essentials. She can be seen setting more towels of the same design on every lounge chair - first the ones by the pool - then on the ones to the back of the swim area. After she was done setting the left side of lounge chairs, she trots from there to the finish setting the right side. She grabs the rest of the towels with her right hoof and marches on to finish her task.

As Thunder continues to set the additional towels onto the chairs, she eventually looks up from what she’s doing. "You gals doing okay?"

"We're fine!", both mares said in unison.

"Alright then". Thunder goes back to what she's doing. Twenty minutes go by and she is eventually done setting up every lounge chair with towels.

"Done, finally", she announces. "I'm hungry, let's get some snacks. Luckily I already installed a snack bar, with a little help from one of my brothers. Come on girls!" Thunder beckons them to walk with her.

"Coming!" Blazer and Spit shout, as they go up ahead to walk with her.

The snack bar is perpendicular to the pool. At least it’s a very brief walk from where the three mares are walking. After walking from the left lounge area, they arrive at the recently installed snack bar in seconds. All three mares glance at the snack bar; there was a hot water kettle for tea, a coffee machine, a fridge with assorted foods, granola bars, fruit snacks, and regular fruits.

"Are all these snacks enough to feed the whole team?" Spitfire asks Thundershine.

"Of course, everything is fully stocked. I arrange for a delivery to come three days a week", she replies.

Blazer looks at everything. She almost feels her mouth watering, as everything appears to look so tasty. Spitfire and Thunder look at her and giggle. "Someone's hungry!" both mares say in unison. At that, all she could do is eye roll.

"Very funny, you two", Blazer sarcastically responds. Eventually, Spitfire and Thundershine stop their giggle fit and keep their composure.

"Your cousin and I have to admit, you are the most hilarious of the Skies family", Spitfire declares, as she ponders around the snack bar options.

As Thundershine does the same, pondering the snack bar options. Blazer couldn't help but notice how rustic the design the snack bar is. The outer rectangular wall of the bottom structure was designed with bricks, to keep the structure from being knocked over. Painted, secondly coated, in mahogany. The counter above it was colored in white, and within the white background was a yellow lightning bolt - with wings - that was recently coated on.

"I love the design of the counter, who implanted this on here?" Blazer eagerly asks her older cousin.

"Blue Streak did. He does Print & Press as a side job", Thunder replies "aside from being a weather pony, that is".

"He did this?!" Blazer is still shocked. All Thunder could do is laugh in response to that statement.

Meanwhile.
Spitfire enters the side gate door, that leads behind the bar counter to search for something to snack on. 'Since Blazer and General Thundershine are distracted by their own conversation, I'm gonna sneak in here quietly and grab a snack or two'. She then crouches on all four hooves and crawls quietly, trying her best not to stir. Spitfire crawls about two more inches until she reaches the fridge door.

"Let's see what kind of assorted foods is behind this fridge door". Spit whispers to herself.

Blazer raises a brow. "Where's Spitfire?"

"Oh, she's sneaking around somewhere". Thundershine smirks. "I use to babysit her when she was a filly. You know what she did, she used to sneak around her mother's kitchen for snacks. I'm pretty sure she's doing that right now." She points to the bar counter. "Below the bar counter".

"What, are you for real?" Blaze felt incredulous.

Thundershine smirks again. "Oh believe me, I'm for real cuz. You weren't even born yet."

Thundershine and Blazer halt their chat and slowly walk together to the side gate door of the bar, also doing their best not to stir. Thundershine creepily opens it.

"YOU!!" Thundershine shouts.

"AH! Aunty, geez. You creeped me out!" Spitfire exclaims, as she already opened the fridge door.

Thundershine looks at her bemused. "At least let me know before you take anything from here, drivel".

"Seriously, Aunty. Again with that cringey nickname!". Spitfire groans. "You do realize that you were the one that called me 'drivel novel' when I flunked on my first day. Same with your nephew."

"I know, I was still Second - in - command when you first joined seven years ago, my dear Spit. I use to scare the living feathers out of you when I was your drill instructor for everything. But I taught you well", she said.

"Wait, Thun. You started that nickname tradition?" Blazer said. She can be seen standing next to Thundershine. "Of course, it was me", her older cousin admits. "It was to help push my cadets in the right direction. Not make 'em drivel".

"Gosh, there you go again!" This made Spitfire face hoof. At that, Blazer couldn't contain herself and slumps onto the ground in a fit of laughter.

"Ya. Can't. Blame. My Cousin", Blazer said between her fits of laughter. "She's. Good at Puns".

"Yeah, I know", Spitfire replies, as she gets up from the floor.

"Now that I had my fun with you, go ahead and grab whatever food we need for the team. Make it quick though, everyone's getting up soon", Thundershine implies.

"Alright then". Spit says in response. She pulls out a bottom drawer - facing on the left - containing assorted fruits like: apples, pears, oranges, blueberries and strawberries. Spitfire grabs her favorite fruits; which are apples, strawberries, and pears.

"Drivel Novel, are you done?!" Thundershine mockingly shouts. At the sound of that, Spitfire winces and quickly shuts the fridge door, without shutting it completely.

'Oops, the food inside is gonna spoil if I don't close it all the way', went Spitfire's conscious.

Blazer walks from where she was, next to her cousin, and walks behind the counter of the snack bar. Licking her muzzle slightly, she decides to open the fridge too.

"Cuz, ya gonna grab something too?" Thundershine asks Blazer.

"Of course I'm gonna. I need brain fuel, and something healthy should do the trick", she declares.

Blazer peers her head into the fridge to look for some snacks. She first opens the left bottom drawer containing fruit, but denies. Then she peers to the second bottom shelf with the following: bottled water, large pitchers of apple juice and grape juice, milk, boxes of premade individually packed salads and plastic containers of other fruits. Blazer looks through the rest of the shelves. Those other shelves contained yogurt, an already baked apple pie, apple upside down cake, apple fritters and so much other kinds of food.

"Cuz, why are there so much options in this fridge?" Blazer asks, as she takes her head out of the fridge and closes the door firmly. "I can't even decide what to munch on".

"Well, everypony needs options. Ironfire", Thundershine replies. Blazer trots away from behind the counter and exits without making a choice. Spitfire and Thunder follow after her.

With Spitfire being the only one who got herself food, they walk back to the lounge chairs to set down the assorted goodies onto a table. Thundershine looks at the food Spit gathers. "Is that for yourself or for everyone on the team?"

"For me. Is there a problem with that?" Spitfire tells her General, with a slight sass in her voice. On the side, Blazer observes the confrontation between them.

"Captain, you do not use that tone with me?! I am your appointing Officer, are we clear on that?!" Thundershine tells Spitfire strictly, as she puts her muzzle directly towards Spit's face.

Spitfire's nervously shakes, before giving Thunder a wing salute; while maintaining eye contact. "Y-y-es, Ma'am!" "Wonderful!!" Thundershine smiles, and distances her face away from Spit.

"Cuz, you sure have your way with her", Blazer says.

"Always!" Thunder proudly declares, as she openly spreads her wings out for a brief moment. Before folding them back into their original position.

"Thundershine was my drill instructor during my time as a trainee in the academy". Spitfire recalls.

Blazer gawks in surprise. "If I know my older cousin, she is a tough nut to crack. Especially when it comes to teaching trainees drills". "She is. General Thundershine is an enigma sometimes". Spitfire nods her head, indicating she agrees with Blazer's point.

Spitfire, Blazer, and General Thundershine decide to sit down on the lounge chairs. The three mares felt their hooves were getting too sore from standing on all fours. Each of them choose chairs completely next to one another. Once the three mares have their backs onto the arch support, they take the time to get comfy.

"Ahhh!" all three of them say, with a sigh.

"Where were we?" Spitfire asks, after feeling slightly more relaxed.

"Uh, you were discussing your time as a trainee", Blazer mentions. She positions herself more comfortably in her chair, with the towel underneath her.

"Right. Where was I? Oh yeah. As I was saying, when Thunder was my drill instructor, she scared my feathers off. If I flunked one drill exercise, she used to go directly close to my face, and tell me I should stop fearing failure and suck it up. Out of all the trainees, she was the harsh on me most often. It was because she saw potential in me, and throughout my two weeks in the academy, I learned a lot from her". Spitfire reminisced.

Blazer touches her chest, feeling moved by Spitfire's memory of her Wonderbolt Academy days. Spitfire then points to Blazer. "What about you, Blazer? What were your academy moments like?"

"Well, when I attended Wonderbolt Academy. There was a moment during training where I flunked the dizzatron. I understand that the key to succeeding this drill, was to overcome dizziness in a flight in under ten seconds. But I ended up overcoming it in twenty seconds instead. After my drill instructor at the time found out, he punished me with cleaning duties in the mess hall and the sleeping quarters for two weeks", Blazer recalls.

“Really, cleaning duty?!” Spitfire gasps.

“Yes!” says Blazer, as she laughs at Spit’s reaction. “All because I was dizzy in the air for half of those twenty seconds”.

“True”. Spitfire laughs.

As the three mares continue their conversation about memories of their training days at the Wonderbolt Academy, they look from their lounge chairs, into the very far distance for a second. Before deciding to turn their heads back on each other.

"Now that we had a jovial discussion about this, let’s get straight to the point on why we’re here”, Spitfire tells Blazer and Thunder. ’The song’, both cousins thought. As the two of them made eye contact with each other and giggle.

“The song, we know Spit”, Blazer replies. “You got any ideas for the first verse?”

Spitfire raises herself slightly from her chair, as she puts a hoof to her chin. Her brow curls to the side as she is in thought. “I feel like the first verse has to express a lover’s question for their partner’s affection. So it should feel like one is asking if their affection is valid.”

“I see your point”, Thundershine implies.

“Baby, tell me is this good for you”. Blazer sings softly, hoping the other girls wouldn’t hear her. The words come to her unexpectedly, heaven - sent.

Thundershine’s ears move slightly to hear her cousin softly singing to herself. “Cuz, I never knew you could sing. You have a melodic voice”.

“I never sing in front of any pony”, Blazer says. “I use to have stage fright back in elementary school. My school had to perform a play regarding the founding of Cloudsdale. When I had to play the part of one of the founders, I remember shaking in fright on stage when I had to perform in front of my parents".

“What?!” says Spitfire, with shock. "How come you kept this from your cousin and I?"

"Because, I feared failure and being laughed at on stage. I assumed you and Thunder would think my singing voice sounded like a rabid coyote". Blazer's face reddens.

"You sing wonderfully, remember that. Do not ever think of your voice any other way", Thundershine assures. She then smiles. "Your voice is a gift, and will forever be one". Thundershine gets up from her chair to give her younger cousin a gentle hug. Spitfire gets up to do the same gesture. Afterwards, both mares let go from their embraces, as Blazer sheds a small tear.

'My mother was the first pony to ever tell me that my singing voice was a gift. It's been nine years since her death from lung cancer in 2015. But I know that her spirit to share my voice with others at the right moment'. Blazer thinks to herself.

Spitfire wipes a tear that Blazer sheds with her hoof. "Lil sis, you really gotta stop crying sometimes. I know it's your way of letting go of the grief you felt after Melody's death, but now is not the time to think and feel sadness. We have a song to write". Blazer wipes her tears and confidently nods.

While Blazer takes the time to wipe her eyes dry of her tears, Thundershine gets up from her designated lounge chair and walks towards the snack bar. She comes back about five minutes later with a bag of assorted apple slices, carrot slices, various nuts, and some newly made yogurt bowls (with granola, honey, banana, and plain low fat yogurt). Thundershine is seen carrying everything, using a uniquely designed saddle bag with two pockets inside.

"Some snacks to help fuel our brains for our songwriting session", Thunder declares gleefully. She puts down her saddle bag to the chair's side. The abyss blue maned mare next rummages thorough her bag, taking out each snack one by one.

"Healthy!" Both Spit and Blazer declare at the same time. Thundershine laughs at their reaction. "It's better if healthy foods, like apple and carrot slices, fuel our brain. Nuts are an option too. Girls, take your pick".

Blazer picks apple slices as her mind snack; Thunder chooses a yogurt bowl, alongside various nuts; while Spitfire decides only on the yogurt bowl, her favorite. As the three mares consume their tasty snacks, Thunder settles her saddle bag onto her lap and opens one side to rummage through. Turns out she's looking for some pen and paper she stashed earlier. It would help with their songwriting session by the pool.

“Aunty, what are you looking for?” Spitfire asks, as she sits herself back down.

“Looking for some pencils and paper”, the General said. Thunder continues to rummage through her saddle bag, not even bothering to glance above to see the inside. She is still feeling around until she finally touches a soft, flexible flap inside the bag. With her hoof touching the flap, she puts her hoof inside and touches something smooth and slightly pokey. She finally found several pieces of paper and pencils laying around in her bag, and takes out the items two at a time. Thundershine takes out three pieces of papers and three pencils from her bag, using her mouth instead of her hooves. She then hands Blazer and Spitfire these items, dividing the items equally.

"Now that we have the materials we need, let's get to songwriting", Spitfire declares.

Author's Note:

Here it is, dear readers. Chapter 3 of Oxygen, it took me a little over a week to finish it. I have decided to split - the events of the songwriting process the characters will involve themselves in - into two parts. Since it would take me longer to write one chapter sometimes. I was too busy with work, my other stories, a side project (another story), and online school.

Comments ( 10 )

I like the idea of Spitfire sneaking around to get snacks lol.

11573594
That idea about Spitfire being sneaky to get snacks is based on a memory I went through. I remember being around 10 years old, I was visiting my father in Hawaii. His apartment actually had a cabinet space just for snacks, I use to sneak to the kitchen to nibble on anything I can find.

11573836
Lol that's hilarious. Sounds like something my dad would've thrown me out the window for..

11574031
I didn’t get called out for it at first, until now. I’m a young adult now, and it would be brought up from time to time by my stepmom.

11574033
Lol. I like that you inject old personal experiences into stuff. Adds a great layer.

11574078
That’s why I write. To reflect, and cope from my personal experiences. The good, the bad, everything about it. But thanks.

Comment posted by Blue_Sapphire deleted Aug 11th, 2023

11658677
I have a lot going on with my personal life right now, with church, work, and family. So there won’t be an update for awhile.

Sorry it took me literal months to get to this, but I finally did! It's a pretty solid chapter. The POV shifts were a bit disorienting, but nowhere as bad as the first chapter's, and your tense stayed in present the whole time. Still liking it, and will continue for the future shenanigans!

Login or register to comment