• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 29,043 Views, 3,100 Comments

Shackles and Friendship - Zaibatsu



A HiE fic filled with light comedy and a bit of adventure. Enjoy.

  • ...
136
 3,100
 29,043

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29 - HE'S MINE!!

Shackles and Friendship
Chapter 29 - HE'S MINE!!
Edited by Hollyhock (formerly known as Al3xguerra)
Pre-read by Hollyhock

And big thank you to Flutter Glasses for the cover art. It's amazing and so are you.


"Rodney that-uhh! I don't think-ah!!"

"It's supposed to hurt," I said with a slight grunt. "I did warn you."

"Yes but-nghh!" Rarity's entire body stiffened as I pushed deeper into her body in hopes of hitting the right spot causing her to bite down on the mattress. Each time I poked and prodded she would bite harder and squirm under me with muffled moans and yelps, and not the good kind either. These definitely came from pain.

"Would you like me to stop?" I asked in a worried tone as I eased off for a moment.

"I think....I think that would be best," she answered between heavy breathing.

"You know, when I said that I'd do anything," I started, "I had expected something along the lines of ‘giving Opal a bath’. Not that I’m complaining."

Just then I heard the sound of light hoofsteps coming down from the stairs. I turned my gaze towards the disturbance to see Sweetie Belle who, from the look of it, has just woken up.

"What's with all the noise?" she asked with a yawn while rubbing her eyes with a hoof. Her sleepy-eyed look quickly turned to one of confusion when she finally got a good look. "What are you two doing?" I could see her eyes glancing up and down between me and Rarity worriedly.

Considering the position Rarity and I were in; she laying on her large victorian mattress while I stood over her on my knees. I felt a rather strong pang of fear shoot up from inside me as I expected her to misinterpret the situation, as anyone would have had they stumbled on us like she did. For a moment I thought about asking a Rarity to explain things herself, but knowing her she'll probably make things worse just to entertain herself.

"Well," I started as I quickly began to remove myself away from Rarity and her couch. "Earlier in the morning your sister came to me and asked if I could give her a massage which by the way I have never given."Sweetie Belle’s eyebrow rose up in further confusion. "She seemed to have the trouble believing that and kept insisting on it." I turned to look at the fashionista who had just let out a long muffled groan with her head still face down on the mattress. "Let this be a lesson to you Sweets, never let a complete amateur give you a massage. You'll only find pain and misery."

"Oh...kay?" she replied unsure whether to take my advice seriously while rubbing her head with a hoof which was just adorable especially with her bed-hair, or bed-mane rather. She was likely aware of rarity's love to be pampered, making it easier for her to believe every word I said. She looked at us curiously a second time before making her way to the kitchen. With that potential disaster out of the way I turned my attention back at my current employer still lying on the mattress in complete silence.

"You ok there Rares?" No response. "Are you just gonna lay there all day?" Still nothing. "Not very ladylike of you." I jibbed lightheartedly. At that she stirred and finally lifted her face only to glare at me. "Ah! She lives!" I teased again in mock dramatic surprise.

"Oh ha ha," she replied irritably before repositioning herself to lay sideways and flicking her mane back with a hoof which returned to its usual flair and curl. How she did that without any comb or magic was a mystery. "You could at least apologize."

"Not when I gave you ample warnings in advance. You're the one who ignored it all." Now that I think about it she was unusually adamant for the massage. "Why were so persistent about it anyways?"

"Yes well, I had hoped that it will all work out in the end." I wasn't sure how to describe it, but there was something in her voice or the way she said it that gave the slightest indication that she meant something else entirely.

“Whatever.” I gave her a shrug dismissing the matter before hearing a sudden commotion from the kitchen, likely Sweetie Belle had dropped something. “I got it,” I said in casual tone, already used to Sweetie Belle’s forms of ‘accidents’.

With a ‘thank you’ from Rarity I made my way into the kitchen to find a spilled bowl of dry oats on the floor. What’s hilarious about it all was how I caught Sweetie Belle just about to sweep the mess with a small brush she had in her mouth right under the rug nearby. She froze in that position as I looked straight at her with a raised brow, now it was my turn to wait for an explanation.

“Eeeh....just making sure I didn’t miss anything.” She dipped her head down to peer under the rug. “Nope! Nothing there.” I rolled my eyes at that before making my way to crouch in front of her.

“Nice try.” I raised a finger and lightly flicked her muzzle before taking the brush away from her. “Go wait at the table Sweets, I’ll prepare breakfast for you.” Grateful for the light punishment she scampered off and climbed onto her filly chair while I easily gathered the scattered oats and dropped it in a bin. With that done I quickly prepared a bowl of hot oatmeal with just a bit of salt and a mix of raisins and berries, just the way she liked it.

“Here you go.” I slid the steaming bowl right in front of her which she immediately began to eat with gusto. “Careful now it’s still hot.” Just as I said it she quickly pulled back with her tongue poking out. “What did I say?” I went back to the kitchen for a small plate and placed small portions of the meal on it to help it cool down faster.

"No school today Sweets?" I asked as she began to eat again.

"Ihkss HunPhay," she answered with her mouthful. I smiled at that happy to see how much she was enjoying the meal I made for her.

"Right, SunDay. Which makes tonight MoonNight." I let out a sigh. "Still can't understand why you name the nights when you already have one for the days."

"Well what do you call MoonNight then?" she asked curiously.

"Sunday night."

"That's just weird."

"You're weird," I replied immaturely which made Sweetie Belle stick out her tongue at me. I flicked her nose a second time before turning around and walking back to the main store room.

Whether it's some higher power at work or just pure coincidence, SunDays in this world were just the same as back home, a day away from work and all that. Meaning I too have this day all to myself. I would have liked to spend it locked up in my room and tinker around with my spells. Then again the promise I made to Applejack and Fluttershy lingered at the back of my mind, most likely I’ll have to wait till next week for a chance to visit both of them. Unless I get lucky.

'Though I suppose I could wait an hour or two before heading out.'

'Not really enough time to make any changes.'

'Probably, but we can at least brainstorm some ideas.' I made my way over to Rarity who had returned to lay atop her mattress wearing red spectacles with a book floating in front of her.

"I’ll be heading out in a while Rares, just wondering if you’d like me to pick up something and whatnot." She pried her eyes away from the book to look at me.

"Thanks for asking dear but we're good on supplies and I already bought groceries yesterday while you were out. When should I expect you home?"

"Very late, you don't have to prepare dinner for me." She suddenly gave me a disapproving look.

"You had better not be planning to visit Bronze Sky's bar again."

"Rest easy Rares, I just promised Fluttershy that I would spend more time with her. I thought dinner at her place would be nice. Though I haven't exactly told her I'd be dropping by, most likely I’ll have to drop by her place sometime in the day to tell her." Then something she said came to my attention. "How did you know Bronze owns the bar?"

"Please dear I’ve lived here all my life and it's the only bar in town. Besides I've had dealings with that pony before, mostly for custom made fittings I need for my ensembles, and he would almost always invite me over whenever I visit." She gave out a huff as she held her head higher. "As if a lady such as myself would ever find herself in a watering hole like that."

"He probably thought having the most beautiful pony in town come by will help popularize the bar. Or at the least attract your fans." I gave just enough emphasis on the last word to show I knew exactly what they were which she replied amused look. "What, you thought I wouldn't notice a pony or two walking by the store a bit too often? How they try peering through the windows hoping to get a good look at you?"

"All in vain I'm afraid," she replied with some pride in her voice.

"For which? Bronze trying to get you in his bar or the ponies I just mentioned?" I teased.

'Should we tell her that some of those ponies were mares?'

'Nah her head is big enough as it is.' She shot me another look and was just about to say something when we heard the hurried sounds of hoofsteps approaching the front door. Whoever it was started ringing and knocking frantically as soon as he or she reached the door.

"Rarity is Rodney in there!? Please open the door!" It took me a second or two to recognize Twilight's voice, mostly because I never heard her scream aloud in such an frightened manner.

I turned to Rarity hoping to get some explanation but from looks of it she was just as confused as I was. All the while Twilight kept banging on the door making it shudder on its hinges, fearing she would break it down I hurriedly approached the door and quickly pulled the door open. Luckily I had enough sense to take a few steps back when I did because Twilight had been leaning on the door as she knocked causing her to fall inside in a heap once the door gave away.

"Twilight dear are you alright?" exclaimed Rarity full of worry as she jumped down from the mattress while her book fell to the ground forgotten. "What in Celestia’s name is the matter?"

"And why the hell did you try to break down the door?" I added which Rarity seem to disapprove by glaring at me. As Twilight picked herself up I noticed how her mane was all ruffled and sticking out much like Sweetie Belle's which probably meant she had either just got up or didn't have time to groom herself when she did. Something Rarity quickly took note of as well.

"Good heavens Twilight how could you go out with your mane like that!?" A nearby brush glowed and floated over to hover above Rarity's head as she stood over Twilight. "It's very improper for a lady to go about town with her mane-"

"Forget my mane!" shouted the purple pony as she pushed the brush away with a hoof. "I'm sorry Rarity I didn't mean to shout like that," she quickly apologized once she realized her sudden outburst, "but this is an emergency! I need to see-" her eyes fell on me. "RODNEY!!" I had to admit, the sheer intensity of her look was downright disturbing. I felt a sudden urge to be as far away from her as physically possible.

"Look if this is about my headache don't worry it's-"

"Never mind that!" Twilight cut in. "You need to hide right now!"

"Wha-"

"NOW!!" Before Rarity and I could question her further Twilight lifted herself to stand on her rear hooves so that she could lean and push me back towards the wall with her forehooves.

"What the hell Twilight!?" Much as I tried I couldn't resist the combination of her weight, leverage, and pony strength. I was forced to constantly backstep as she wanted less I fall hard on the floor.

"I'm not letting somepony just take you away from me!" she yelled which confused and worried me further.

"Who's taking me away!? Twilight could you please just stop and explain what the hell is-whoa!" Twilight suddenly gave a great shove which came too fast and too strong causing me to tumble backwards onto the floor.

It took me a second to realize I had fallen into one of the store's closets as several items like small rolls of cloth and bolts of thread fell on me. Before I could even get up the door in front of me glowed with Twilight's magic and suddenly slammed shut with a loud thud. There was a sudden clamor as I heard a multitude of heavy objects move about right in front of the door, most likely to seal me in my tomb. I heard Rarity shouting and yelling trying to calm the crazy pony and even a scream from Sweetie Belle before I heard Twilight's voice again.

"No matter what happens don't let him out! HE'S MINE!!" And with that I heard the sound of hoofsteps disappear towards the distance before everything fell silent.

In all honesty I was contemplating whether or not I should just sit there inside the closet and wait till all this craziness blew over, then again I'm not really looking forward to seeing this new side of Twilight. Slowly I pushed the door open and as expected it only went about a fraction of the way before being blocked by something on the other side. Still there was enough room for me to poke my head out just a bit to get a good look outside which meant I didn't have to blindly levitate the objects in front of the door to get out. For a moment I just stared at the unbelievable sight in front of me, almost every piece of furniture and object in the shop had been pushed and stacked up against the door. After yesterday's events I suppose I shouldn't be surprised how powerful Twilight is. Still I'm having a hard time imagining the amount of mental control it would have taken to pile up most of Rarity's furniture in a span of a few seconds.

"Rodney?" I heard Sweetie Belle’s small voice above me. I pulled my head back in to reposition it sideways since there wasn't enough room to turn, when I did, I spotted Sweetie Belle still seated on her filly chair atop the pile while holding onto her bowl of oats. "What's going on?"

"I have no idea," I answered truthfully. "Where's Rarity?"

"She went outside to chase Twilight." Carefully as to not tip over she looked down from her perch before sitting back up all rigid. "Can I please come down?" she pleaded with an adorable voice.

"Sure thing Sweets." With clear view it was a simple enough task to levitate her and the chair down to the floor. I was pleased to see how perfectly calm she was behaving seemingly completely covered in blue fire. In fact, she looked relieved.

'Shows how long I've stayed with them I suppose.' With Sweetie Belle safely on the floor I began systematically removing each piece of furniture one by one, at least the ones that would allow me to widen the opening and squeeze through.

"Alright I think it's about time I get out of here," I said once I was finally liberated.

"What!?" shouted Sweetie Belle in sudden panic. Before I could ask what was wrong she leaped up and wrapped her hooves around my right leg. "No don't go!" I just stared down at her in confusion when she started crying.

"Sweetie Belle what's-"

"Twilight didn't mean it!" she continued as her hooves tightened. "She's only been crazy once!"

"What are you-"

"Don't leave Ponyville!" With that Sweetie Belle started crying loudly.

"Sweetie Belle I'm-"

"NOOOOOO!!"

"I'm not leaving town!" I shouted over her voice. Immediately her crying ceased as she froze in place for a brief moment before looking up at me.

"Oh." I looked at her with a crooked brow as she slowly let go of my leg and rubbed the tears in her eyes with her fetlocks.

"What was that all about?"

"I...I thought you meant that you were leaving us," she answered embarrassingly.

"Obviously." She gave me a small, embarrassed smile. "Didn't think you'd care so much about me leaving." With that her ears perked up and she looked right at me with sudden vigor.

"Of course I care! You would care too if your friend suddenly went away!"

It actually felt nice knowing how frightened she was at the mere thought of me leaving her. I'm not usually the type to get all mushy about something like this, but after seeing all that I just couldn't help myself. I bent over and picked her up with both hands before pulling her close to a hug with her muzzle resting on my chest which she seemed to like as she began to rub her muzzle against it.

"I promise I won't be leaving for a long time," I comforted her. "And even if I did, it's not like I'll never come back." She looked up to me with her large adorable eyes.

"Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie promise, though I'm not doing the silly dance," I quickly added before placing her on the floor. "What do you say you come with me to see Applejack? That way you can play with Applebloom for a while."

"Sure!" she agreed happily. "But what about the mess?" True, it looked as if a tornado had hit the store. Most of the furniture were still piled up in front of the closet and it would take a considerable amount of time to properly put the back in place.

"It can wait, I'm more worried about still being here for the second coming of the crazy purple librarian." Sweetie Belle giggled at that remark.

Once I found my bag of bits amongst the mess and wrote a quick note to Rarity informing her of Sweetie Belle's whereabouts, we quickly made our way towards the front door and out into the bright sunny streets. Still feeling good about Sweetie Belle's affection towards me, I picked her up a second time from behind which cause her to squeal in surprise before propping her up behind my neck just as she liked.

"Won't you be tired later on?" she asked worriedly, though I could hear her excitement.

"Don’t worry, we're doing something different this time," I assured her. "Just make sure you hold on tight."

'Won't this attract attention?'

'Definitely, but seeing as we've already met most of the townsfolk it should be fine. They have to get used to seeing my magic eventually, anyone who's got a problem with it can go screw themselves.'

'About damn time.'

With one hand holding Sweetie Belle tight, I bent my knees and cast my magnet spell on the soles of my shoes causing me to rise and float just one or two inches above ground. One by one every pony around us turned their attention to stare at the filly riding a floating monkey with its feet on fire. Before any of them could question what was going on, I launched myself just as I would with a pair of roller blades or ice skates and whizzed through the streets of Ponyville. Every head turned as we passed by them, most scream and yelp in surprise while a few would holler greetings. As we make towards Sweet Apple Acres, likely in record time, I could clearly hear Sweetie Belle's loud and excited laughter enjoying the best time of her life.

Just another day in a world of ponies.


Inquest trotted about the clearing with his horn aglow as he tried his best to detect any remnant of that 'echo'. He could hear the many sounds of life in the forest all around but he paid them little heed, confident that he was safe especially with the current company he kept.

Soon as he and the gryphon arrived in the edge of the clearing they immediately began with a diligent perimeter check of the area of danger. Even without uttering a single word to each other they both fell into the practiced routine they had created out of experience and trust, and it took them considerably less time to finish that another team of two or even five would. Once they considered the area relatively safe they began the search each doing what they knew best, Crea looking for bent grass and broken branches while Inquest observed the flow and state of the surrounding magic with his own.

So far Inquest could detect the lingering feeling of his own myriad of spells he had cast the last time he was here, even a few from the research team that came before him. But just as he predicted there was absolutely nothing left of that alien 'echo', the rogue flow of magic in the forest had wiped it clean away. Had the event occurred elsewhere then it might be possible for the 'echo' to linger around longer, but even then there was no guarantee that he could use it for anything.

He came to a stop once his ears picked up the sound of feathered wings beating in the air above him. He looked upwards to see the all too familiar sight of the gryphon's giant body as she descended to the ground near him.

"Well?" asked Inquest once the giant gryphon landed nearby. "Were you able to find anything?" Crea turned from side to side examining and the clearing one last time before letting out a sigh.

"A lot actually." Inquest raised a brow and waited for the gryphon to continue. "I can tell you there were exactly sixteen different squirrels that passed through this clearing probably around daybreak." She stretched a wing to point somewhere to her right. "A pair of manticores were fighting over territory around there about five days ago and I can safely guess there were roughly seventeen ponies in that research team that Celes sent. I can also tell which hoof prints are yours."

"So what's the problem then, seems like you're able to read everything that happened here."

"I did find one set of tracks belonging to some bipedal creature, it left some pretty unique looking marks on the ground. Most likely it wore some kind of covering over its legs for protection and traction."

"Afraid that's not the one were looking for." Crea let out another sigh at that.

"Yeah I figured as much. It went to the edge of the clearing with Celes and a group of ponies, the other large hoofprints must be Princess Luna’s. But besides that I couldn't find anything that would indicate 'a creature from another world'. What about you?"

"Same," he answered regrettably. "There's absolutely nothing we else can pick up on anymore and nothing magically out of the ordinary either, well nothing besides the Everfree being what it is." Crea shot another glance towards the surrounding tree line keeping constant watch over the area before she continued the conversation.

"I'm starting to question if there really is something out there."

"So do I," he admitted in a whisper but still easily heard by the gryphon.

"Weren't you the one that told Celes there was one?"

"I might have.....stretched the details a bit." Crea stared at his eyes with a slight frown. "Technically what I could tell was that there were two rifts that opened here, and from what I gathered each led to a different world. We know for certain that one of these rifts had to be large and stable enough to allow a large living being to pass through into our world." Inquest let out a sigh. "Considering the outcome there's a chance that the other might be just as large and stable, but in truth the only fact I could say for certain is the existence of this second rift."

"But we don't know for certain." Crea finished in a slightly frustrated tone. "Do we even know whether something did in fact cross over the rift?" The way Inquest started to avoid her gaze was all the answer she needed. "So now what? Go back and explain there was nothing to look for?"

"Of course not," Inquest quickly replied. "Not without making sure for certain if something did come through. The mission has simply taken a slight alteration is all." Crea merely shook her head at him, truth be told this wasn't the first time the pony had assumed something and taken it for a fact. Which was odd considering what he did for a living.

"Still we have no way of finding whatever crossed through, if anything even did."

"You are correct, not by any of our usual means. But sometimes even the most impossible situations can be solved by the simplest solution." Crea raised a brow curiously. "We could simply ask around."

"And who exactly do we ask? Unless you can make the trees talk..."

"Come now Crea, you know best how watchful creatures of the forest are with their territory." Inquest waited for a moment giving the gryphon a chance to figure out his idea but seeing as nothing came he offered a hint. "Tell me, out of the living creatures you know in this world which is most attentive, and violent, when it comes to territory?"

"An Ursa Major?"

"Close. But I was thinking of something that can actually talk to us," he hinted again with a small smile. It only took a fraction of a second for Crea to piece it all together.

"Oh no," she immediately argued. "Ah uh, no way Inquest!"

"If you got any better ideas please share it." Inquest could see it in her eyes how hard she tried to rack her brains for some alternative or find a flaw in his idea, aside from the obvious danger.

"N-no, but I'll think of something that doesn't get us killed!"

"Oh please we can handle one," he encouraged. "After all we spent an entire month trapped in their land once."

"And we survived because we're always in hiding! But now you want us to just stroll into its home, ask a question and hope it all works out!" Despite her words of caution it was evidently clear from the glint in his eyes that she will not be able to convince him otherwise.

This was something Crea hated about the pony yet loved at the same time, how he would always be the first to suggested such risky and dangerous plans. Yet it was these ideas that led them to their greatest adventures together in the past. And a part of her truly did relish those moments which ultimately led to her affection for him. It's hard for a girl to stay professional after being saved over and over again by the same pony, and Inquest have saved her dozens of times over the course of her adventurous life.

"One of these days you'll get us both killed," was all she said before she allowed the pony to lead the way.

As they made their way towards the edge of the clearing and into the forest, Inquest could make out their destination over the tree line. There, roughly half a day’s journey, was a cliff and directly below it a cave, a very large and spacious cave. It was home to one of the world's most dangerous, powerful, and prideful living creature.



A dragon’s cave.

Author's Note:

As all of you have likely seen I have an actual, proper cover art for this fic!!

Yay! Huzzah! Banzai!

A big, BIG shoutout to the wonderful gift that is snow and ice for trapping Flutters Glasses in his/her own home. If it weren't for that he/she would never have offered to make one for me. So thank you nature for that snowfall.

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, remember to criticize and comment as well as point out any mistakes that I might have missed.

PreviousChapters Next