• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 29,024 Views, 3,099 Comments

Shackles and Friendship - Zaibatsu



A HiE fic filled with light comedy and a bit of adventure. Enjoy.

  • ...
136
 3,099
 29,024

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22 - Add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips

Shackles and Friendship
Chapter 22 - Add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips
Edited by Noxxels


I had hoped the lake would be somewhere nearby, around twenty minutes walk perhaps. To my regret it was located at a different side of Ponyville, it wasn’t directly on the opposite but we still had to cut through the town once again to reach it. Sweetie Belle had been lively on our trip to Sweet Apple Acres but now with Applebloom tagging along both fillies went completely ballistic with energy. Having Applebloom ride on top of me was turning out to be a good idea, it made Sweetie Belle stick close by whenever she wanted to talk with Applebloom. Had both fillies been on the ground they probably would have run off everywhere in their attempt to show off the town despite missing a member of their group. Leaving me to spend the rest of the day constantly chasing them down, at least this way I only had to keep my eye on one filly.

As I traveled through the town I learned something about children: you should never underestimate their impact to the people, or ponies in this case, around you. If you see an unknown creature or even just someone new in the neighborhood, you might be a bit suspicious or apprehensive at first which is completely understandable. But if they were to walk around surrounded by laughing children and playing with them, all notions of danger seem to just disappear. I was greeted with gentle smiles and giggles as we walked through the town which honestly caught me by surprise, it was the good kind of surprise.

I didn't notice it at first since I was too busy trying to both keep up with Sweetie Belle who kept moving up ahead, and making sure Applebloom stayed seated on top. The earth filly was far too energetic and kept squirming here and there, pointing at shops and buildings and bending over to scream in my ear. She even started tilting my head from side to side in an attempt to steer me. So not only do giving a pony a ride but now she was steering me as well. The irony has been doubled.

Distance alone meant that getting to the lake was going to take a while, but between the sidetracking and trying to keep the fillies under control, it took considerably more time getting there than it should. It ended up taking roughly an hour and a half to reach the lake. I was already exhausted carrying Sweetie Belle all the way to Sweet Apple Acres but now I was completely drained. Carrying Applebloom was like having a slab of rock over my shoulder while my legs felt like they were made of lead.

The fillies were right though, we spotted Rainbow Dash flying high in the clouds over the lake with her multi-colored mane and tail flowing behind her as she went through some very flashy and intricate maneuvers. I cringed several times whenever she flew a bit too close to the water.

"I don't see anyone else besides Rainbow up there, you sure Scootaloo is around?" I asked the two fillies.

"Oh Scootaloo can’t fly yet but she’s always somewhere near Rainbow Dash, especially when she's practicing." Replied Sweetie Belle.

My eyes drifted back to the cerulean mare who was now diving and spinning to the ground in a corkscrew, drilling through several clouds which caused them rotate and follow suit. I froze in place for a moment, gawking upwards at the spectacle as Rainbow Dash continued to create what looked like a miniature tornado.

"I gotta admit, that mare certainly knows how to put on a show." I commented. I was too entranced by the sight to notice how the pegasus had suddenly veered off just before touching the surface of the lake.

"Oh look she's coming this way!" Shouted Applebloom. Sure enough when my eyes drifted back forward I saw Rainbow Dash flying towards us spraying water upwards behind her with her tailwind alone.

'Don't you think she's flying a bit too fast?' He was right, in fact, Rainbow Dash showed no sign of slowing down at all. I squinted my eyes to help focus my vision and was alarmed to see the pegasus glaring right at me with intense concentration.

'Ah shit.'

With reflexes that surprised even myself I exploded into a series of movements, I bent my knees while my arms shot upwards picking Applebloom off me causing her to yelp in surprise. I shifted my weight to my right leg, allowing my body to pivot sideways while carefully tucking the earth filly in front of my stomach with both hands. With a grunt I kicked my right leg out and flew to the side and landed sideways on the dirt. As I jumped the flying pegasus suddenly threw her wings out wide and with a single massive flap flew upwards right in front of where I stood only a second ago.

I coughed and waved a hand to clear the dust cloud Rainbow had kicked up with sheer wind power alone. "You ok Applebloom?" I looked down and let out a sigh of relief as the filly gave a me a nod. From the looks of it she was a bit disoriented and confused but unharmed. I kept my eye on her as she trotted away just in case she did suffer some injury she weren't aware of, but from the look of it all she got was a dirty coat. I rolled onto my back and hissed in pain as my injuries stung me while swearing under my breath for forgetting them. I took some deep breaths to ease of the shock and hopefully stem of the flow of adrenaline. "The hell was that mare thinking?" I mumbled while gazing at the sky.

Unfortunately Rainbow Dash wasn't quite through with me yet. My eyes shot open in fright when I saw her descending at free fall speed directly at me, a maniacal grin plastered across her face. Out of reflex, I brought out both arms to cross over my face while bending my legs on top of my stomach in a pitiful attempt to shield myself from the collision. But instead of feeling the bone crushing impact I was hit by a sudden gust of wind pushing me against the earth. I cracked open my eyes to see Rainbow Dash hovering two feet above me with her front hooves folded across and a big smug smile on her face.

"That," she shouted while punching a hoof out to point at me, "was for calling me a spy." I continued to just lay there on the ground with both hands still raised over my head and a bewildered look on my face. This immediately sent Rainbow Dash falling to the ground on her back laughing her head off with all four of her legs kicking the air.

While Rainbow Dash was busy laughing herself to death, "Oh Celestia it hurts!" I had recovered from the shock and started whispering curses at her while letting my body sag into the dirt as my muscles relaxed to alleviate the tension. Just as I pushed myself up to a sitting position I heard what sounded like a mix of an engine revving and a hummingbird coming from the distance.

Suddenly Applebloom and Sweetie Belle shouted, "Scootaloo!" I followed their gaze to see a orange colored pegasus filly with purple mane and tail riding what looked like a miniature scooter towards us. She shot her weight sideways forcing the scooter to turn and drift across the dirt kicking up dust as she skidded to a stop a few feet from us.

"That," she shouted in between heavy breathing, "was awesome!" Her purple mane was frazzled and had a wild style much like Rainbow Dash, just like the other two this filly she was also missing a mark on her flank. All in all, everything about Scootaloo just screamed out tomboy.

She kept her gaze on Rainbow mesmerized for several seconds before finally realizing there was an alien sitting just a few feet from her. As her eyes fell on me her ears fell flat on her head and her expression turned to something between confusion and anxiety. But it didn't last long, seeing Applebloom and Sweetie Belle nearby and Rainbow Dash slumped on the ground next to me trying to recover from her laughing fit seem to kill any sense of danger.

"What are you two doing here? And what the hay is that?" She was eyeing me with a raised eyebrow.

'I swear if she says monkey...'

Ignoring that thought, I decided it was probably best if the two fillies explained the situation instead of me since they were friends and all. So I sat on the ground keeping a passive and easy going demeanor while Applebloom and Sweetie Belle trotted over towards Scootaloo. I kept my eye on Rainbow Dash who, with some effort, was finally getting back on her hooves.

"So what are you doing here with those two?" Rainbow asked while the three fillies chatted amongst each other.

"We came here hoping to find Scootaloo and get her to come along. I was only suppose to watch Sweetie Belle and get her out of Rarity's mane for a bit. So I told her how she could show me around town and since she and Applebloom were friends I thought it would be nice to invite her along as well." I tilted my head to the right to point at the girls, "She then told me about Scootaloo and being cu-"

"CUTIE-MARK CRUSADERS!"

"Aah!" They screamed as loud as possible in their high pitched voices, causing me to flinch hard. "Yeah, that." I continued, "and asked if the whole gang could do it together." I turned to see all three fillies now running around wearing a red cape with a blue shield and a little yellow pony silhouette on it.

'Where the hell did those come from?'

"So you're...babysitting them?" she asked incredulously. "Alone?"

"Yes I know, me being me watching over three kids? Heck I'd be worried." I gave her a shrug nonchalantly but took on a serious face and tone the second later. "But believe me, I do not take it lightly and I've had some experience with children before. I can't say I'm an expert but I’ve promised both Rarity and Applejack to treat them as my own and I intend to keep it."

"That's....not what I'm worried ab-" but before Rainbow Dash could finish, the fillies, including Scootaloo, ran up and nearly barreled me down.

"C'mon let's go!" Scootaloo was acting carefree like I was just another pony she just met, I know it's thanks to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle but nevertheless it felt nice not having to explain myself like most first encounters. "You want a tour, we need a cutie-mark and time's a wastin." She was hopping around with barely contained energy and excitement, more so than the other two.

'And here I was hoping she'd be related to Fluttershy.'

"Hold on now, first things first." I held out my hand towards her.

She eyed my hand with a cocked eyebrow before looking back up to me with a face that said, 'Are you serious?'

I smiled a bit wider, 'Yes.'

With a sigh she placed her right hoof on my palm and we shook, "Rodney."

She rolled her eyes, "Scootaloo," she replied irritably. "Now can we please get going?"

"Actually, why don't you three eat first?" I suggested. "Applejack gave us some slices of her apple pie earlier on." Luckily I left Sweetie Belle in charge of carrying the food, originally I gave it to her in order to keep her from running around so much. I doubt it would have survived had I kept it when Rainbow Dash scared me stupid. "You guys eat it while I rest up."

Despite being somewhat impatient they didn't argue against it, not surprisingly really considering how good Applejack's pies are. Unfortunately the thought of Applejack's apple pies sent me to depression through a series of thoughts:

Apple pies --> apples --> healthy food --> junk food --> delicious food --> lack of meat --> a big slab of prime cut beef wrapped in large bacon strips with dry rub seasoning and sizzling over apple firewood

"Uhh Rodney....you ok?" Rainbow asked. "You're kinda drooling all over yourself there."

Rainbow's voice jolted me back into harsh reality, "Oh sorry, kinda lost myself there." I wiped my chin with my sleeve. I felt miserable now that a multitude of images and memories of meat dishes dominated my mind empowering the empty feeling inside me. Having a subconscious that can directly talk with you didn't help either.

'A big ass New York pastrami melt sandwich still steaming thick with moist, juicy meat with rich oily dipping sauce on the side.'

'Please stop.'

'Oh god do you remember that vid? Five different kinds of birds wrapped in bacon and stuffed inside a whole pig to be smoked glazed in butter and Dr.Pepper sauce!' Suddenly I had a perfect replay of the video playing in my head straight out of my memory.

'HOW ARE YOU EVEN DOING THAT!?'

'Add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips add bacon strips-'

"Are you sure you’re ok? You don't look so hot." Rainbow was scrutinizing me while I was pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Just...just trying to fight back a migraine. And hopefully keep my sanity." I mumbled the last part under my breath.

"Whatever you say." I turned to glance around, hoping to find something to keep my mind off the torture. I noticed Rainbow stretching out like a cat and bending her body from side to side while extending the opposite wing out wide. It was then that I realized her wings were far too small to properly give her any sufficient lift to fly, much less the control and strength to pull of her earlier stunts. Twilight had already explained how pegasi fly not with air lift alone but almost entirely by magic, their wings act similarly as unicorn horn in that allows them to manipulate said magic. That got me thinking.

"Hey Dash help me out with something, do you use your wing to fly? I mean I know you do, but Twilight told me pegasi use magic to fly and wings for control. Is that right?"

"Yup." She said between grunts as she continue through her stretching routine. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, if your magic is what gives you flight...how come you get tired?" She paused for a moment to turn and look at me confused. "You use your wings much like a bird would but mostly for control, and obviously that takes physical exertion to maintain. But let's say, theoretically, that you simply fly in one direction with no outside interference like wind and temperature changes, and you never have to use your wings to maintain your flight. Obviously when your magic reserve runs out you can't fly anymore, but when you do run out of magic do feel just as tired? Exhausted?"

Rainbow Dash had taken a comfortable sitting position next to me with that confused look on her face from before, "Well DUH! Of course I'll be tired, heck I'll pass out if I run out of magic. Everypony does." I recalled all the moments where I had accidentally drained someone completely.

My gaze drifted off somewhere, not really focusing on anything, while my mind started putting the puzzle pieces together. "So let's just get this straight for my sake," I continued. "Ponies that are well and full of energy have a high magic reserve, but if they start doing anything heavy duty and get tired they lose their magic. Is that right?"

Dash was looking at me like I was an idiot or something, "Again, DUH! Everypony gets tired when they...well, get tired!"

I turned and looked at her, "Not for me." I replied flatly. Rainbow tilted her head in confusion, "Not the last part, I do get tired. In fact I'm exhausted right now after walking around town to Sweet Apple Acres and then to here." I said while waving a hand in each direction and then to the lake. "But I've still got plenty of magic in me. Or to be more accurate, my magic reserve is still the same as it was when Sweetie Belle and I left Carousel Boutique." I activated my 'Sense' inwards and, sure enough, I could roughly 'feel' the same amount of magic I had earlier in the day.

"I don't believe you, there's just no way that's true."

"It's just a guess right now but it's the only explanation. Magic is magic and stamina is stamina, they're two separate things. I get the occasional headache if I use my spells too long or a particularly complex one. But other than that I don't really get tired unless I physically do."

Rainbow was scratching her chin with her hoof and eyeing me up and down, "I dunno, I still say you're lying. But I'm not the bookworm type, you should go ask Twilight. I'm sure she'll give you a lecture on how wrong you are."

"I'm sure." I replied lightheartedly with a chuckle. "Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you or anything. Like you said I could be wrong, can't say I've gotten used to the whole magic business yet." Rainbow gave me a shrug before flexing her wings out wide and getting back on her hooves.

"It's not like it really matters to me much." She flapped her wings and hovered a few feet above ground. "You sure you can handle them?" She asked with a hoof pointed towards the three fillies.

"I'm sure," I replied confidently.

"Alright then," she flew off a bit before turning around and glancing back at me. "Your funeral."

'Wait, what?'

Before I could question Rainbow's comment, "All done!" Shouted the three fillies. I turned to look at their crust covered muzzles smiling at me.

"Alright let's go, but let's get those cute adorable faces cleaned up first." Applebloom and Sweetie Belle giggled while Scootaloo made a gagging gesture. But before I even got back on my feet, all three fillies stuck out their tongue and lapped up their muzzles end to end. "That works." I said with a laugh.

I took the box that held the apple pie from Sweetie Belle and struck a dramatic pose, "Well then my little crusaders!" Without missing a beat each filly took up a pony version of a salute in front of me. With a wide smile I pointed towards Ponyville, "Onwards! Allons-y!"

"CUTIE-MARK CRUSADERS TOUR GUIDES YAY!!"

"Aah!"














AN: And the Cutie-Mark Crusaders are assembled!

So new semester starting and all, not much time I can put into writing. Still not sure how it's going to go in the long run, most likely a chapter every 5 days or so. Maybe even a chapter a week.

Next chapter might take even longer, I want to finish up the entire CMC adventure in one chapter. So get ready Noxxels, there's a lot of crap you need to clean.

And as usual I please leave comments and by all means point out any mistakes, plot holes or just post something random. So be sure to-

CRASH!

Holy crap! What the hell!? *runs downstairs*

OMG! Pinkie I swear to god if you hid explosives in the basement I will-

Muffin?

PreviousChapters Next