• Published 10th Apr 2017
  • 370 Views, 0 Comments

The return of the seventh shadow, The Lunar Eclipse - OnASeaOfDreams



With Sunset Shimmer and her friends forced into hiding will the true threat to the land of Equestria emerge!

  • ...
 0
 370

Chapter 5

It was dark out, night had fallen on the cave, but the weary inhabitants were not there to see it. A short distance from the entrance to there makeshift headquarters, laid a small hidden clearing. The smell of burning char, flooded the forests void, and the opacity that wild life had learn to dread, filled the cooling air. Bright, flickering lights illuminated the canopy, as Starlight Shimmer and her six friends sat, absorbing the radiant heat of the fire. True friends can always find a way through adversity, a laugh, a gentle smile, a warm hug; these and other conditions of the heart can block the icy spell of fear that the despair of ill times can bring. The well of the heart knows no depths, and to those whom drink deeply of these waters will inevitably drown in joy.

Walrus Pinkie Pie was always a hoot! Everyone shared the merriment in the spontaneity of the pink haired woman, she danced around the group in a variety of off centre leaps, waddles, and cartwheels. She accomplished all of this with two roasted hotdogs sticking down out of her closed mouth; they wiggled to-and-fro but they held true.

"Ya! Go Pinkie, go Pinkie, go Pinkie!!!" Rainbowdash chanted, as she and Applejack dropped off another arm full of gathered sticks.

A lone firefly strayed into camp, and gravitated to Fluttershy upon its ingress. Just as soon as it entered, the bashful lady spoke to it in a barely audible whisper, and it rushed off. Moments later, hundreds of fireflies rushed into the clearing, surrounding the women in a gentle cascade of swirling lights. The waltz of lights flowed around the awestruck ladies, in a rich organic display, and even the hyperactive Pinkie stopped her various antics, to experience the reverence of the moment.

"My word Fluttershy dearest, this is something!" Rarity emoted to Fluttershy, a clear tone of wonder in her voice.

"Let the sun set at your back, and always face the dawn, because there is more in front of us then behind." Sunset Shimmer said to Twilight, as they admired the harmonies show of fireflies.

"That is very inspired. Did you make it up yourself?" Twilight queried.

"No, it was actually something my mother use to say to me."

"You've never really mentioned your family Sunset! What are they like?"

"Ya, that is, well.... It's not something I enjoy talking about Twilight..."

"Oh. I see. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything!"

"It's ok Twilight, lets just enjoy the show, ok!"

"Ok Sunset! You know there is always a light in the dark right?" Twilight Sparkle responded.

"Yes there is!!!" Sunset said. A stoic far away tone blazoned into her voice, as though this was more a ingrained truth of her soul then a speculative remark made on a whim. She thought back and looked at how that made her feel, how she drew strength from this fact that she had ignored for the better part of a generation! It felt good to regain that small but vital part of herself!

The inky black surrounded the party, and even the illumination of the stars became hidden by lumbering clouds. Soon, even the moon was no where to be seen! In spite of that, laughter bellowed out from the parties makeshift dawn, and the living stars that came to them, drowned out the dark in a saturation of light, and colour; that the darkness attempted to ferry away.

The wee hours came to quickly for the group of friends, and as they left camp the feeling of belonging followed them. 'Even the richest of emotions, must dwindle, and rest in the dying of the light.' Sunset thought to herself, as the comfort of her bedroll warmed her, and she was taken away by the nights sweet embrace!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Princess Celesta

We have made a discovery that could prove to be helpful in Luna's recovery.

While visiting Zicora, she told us a story of a crystalline spire, located deep in the frozen north; past Yack Yackastan; she claimed it had drained all the evil thoughts and feelings from a wanderer whom now rooms the land doing good deeds.

I know it isn't quite the same, but I believe it to only to be a difference in magnitude. I have a theory, and a plan too. If I'm correct, all I'll need is to bring back a fragment of the crystal.

My friends and I will be on the next train to the Crystal Empire. Spike and Starlight will also be accompanying us; but we will stop in Canterlot on our way through to discuss everything in detail.

Your friend Twilight Sparkle

"Ok Spike, would you do the honours?" Twilight asked her number one assistant.

"It would be my pleasure!" Spike declared, as he showered the scroll in his scoring breath.

The long stroll from the promenade, to the front steps of the bailey, went without a word spoken. Normally Spike would revile in the rare silence he shared with Twilight, but her mood was 'wrong'! It wasn't a bad wrong, just a off kinda wrong that chilled the aura around the young drake. He made a swift mental note to ask her about it later on when they had a moment. He shut the doors behind him and his adoptive sister with a firm pull.

"Alright sugarcube dat' should do it for the food." Applejack said, while wheeling over one of her apple carts to the Castle steps, where Twilight, and Spike stood.

"Great, but how are we going to carry all of that?" Inquired Twilight.

"Now dat's the best part Twi!" The smiling farm mare chirped while pulling a lever that went strait down, and it rested parallel to the right hand trace. As soon as the lever was pulled, a pair of ski's extended underneath the cart, and with the pull of another lever upwards; on the left hand side; the wheels rouse into the bottom of the cart.

"That's so inventive Applejack, where ever did you get it?"

"I made it Twi! I can tell you how later if you'd like!"

"Yes, I would love to hear how, when we have some time, but if you don't mind could you tell me what possible use you have for this kind of cart?" Twilight asked, her curiosity getting the better of her!

"Ya, we use dis cart on one of er, more inderestin' delivery routes!" Applejack said as she took her hat off, and scratched the back of her neck. "I'm real proud of this one though! The others didn't work out all dat great!"

"Well, well this is perfect dear! May I throw a few things in!" Rarity said, as she started loading the cart, with bag upon bag. Before Applejack could respond, the fashionista loaded the cart two ponies high.

"Rarity, confound it, this is a one pony cart. It can't handle a load this big!"

"But Applejack, please!" Rarity pleaded, her lips protruding in a full pout.

"Look alright fine, but only half of 'em!"

"But.... Alright fine! You strike a hard bargain darling, but I can live with half!"

"Sounds good! How 'bout we shake on it Rar's!" Applejack declared, splitting onto the bottom of her hoof, and holding it out to Rarity!

"Oh, ummm, no; I don't think I'll ever be at that point Applejack..." Admitted the white fashionista.

"Ok, is everypony here, and did everypony bring all the items they were supposed too?" Twilight asked.

"Yes!" The group shouted out in unison.

"Great, now lets all double check! Spike please get the list!!!"

"Uuugggghhhhh!" Everypony but Twilight sighed; again in unison!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was on a high arch by the time the contingent arrived in Coltville. The smell of clean air, accompanied by freshly baked goods, filled there lungs conveying a reverent appreciation of the quant settlement. On the pristine walk through the countryside there two mare guides told them everything there was to know about the simple farming community. Their main source of income relied on shipping there produce from town, to town, on the train. The town also supported a minor logging company, small scale mining outfit, and a minuscule amount of manufacturers.

Long ago the town wasn't always apart of Equestra; ponies did stake the original claim to the land in 825, but It soon fell under the unlawful domain of the Caribou. The indentured labouring ponies, were held without contact, by the migratory herds to harvest the land, and mine their resources! Little to no compensation was offered, and instead the exchange was for staying on the caribous pilfered land. The princess of Equestra; also know as their sun goddess; Celestria, managed to negotiate a treaty with the Cariboo in 846, freeing that town along with many others from their bonded servitude! This let the ponies take control of their town, including the surrounding rural areas, as the rightful settlers to this region.

"You all are in for a treat!" Pumpkin Pie boosted!

"Ya, this is the best diner in town, they'll fix you something tasty!" Bright sky reiterated, as the two mares showed the group inside.

'Both mares noticed how hungry we were, and escorted us to a pleasant looking dinner. Even after the admission that we had no local currency, they still just laughed it off, telling us to talk to the cook. As sceptical as I was, everyone was willing to play along with it; even the lieutenant, although he still managed to slide in a untactful, ignorant remark. Pumpkin Pie, and Bright Sky were beginning to show offence to the off putting lieutenant; not that I blamed them. As a larch they starting to refer to him as 'Grumpy Gus' behind his back, while making funny faces at him every time the lieutenant turned his back. I was starting to admire how up beat and innocent they were'. Beset thought to himself, as he and his company followed the two local mares into the building.

"Come in, come in, please sit anywhere you find comfortable, and I'll be right with you." The waitress said happily, as she delivered a platter of food to a eagerly awaiting table.

"Thank you mam, but we don't actually have any money! You don't know anyway the six of us could earn some, do ya?" Beset asked, a hopeful gleem adorning his face. The mare listened to the nature of his question. With a soulful grin, she validated the hopeful stallion and a genuine sympathy swept over her face as she gestured him forward.

"Hey Summer Field, we have 'bout half a dozen gentlecolts, and mares whom don't have the bits to cover! Anytin' we can do for them?"

"Oh I see, welp I can cook you all a meal, if you agree to give my wife en son a hoof this afternoon on our farm!" The yellow maned stallion offered. "We're behind in our contribution for the festival, and we could use the help! I can even spare a few bits, if you're interested?"

"That sounds great! Mr. Field, Thank you!"

Giving a nod followed by a friendly but dismissive wave, the stallion went back to his cooking. "Ain't no big deal, we would appreciative a few strong hooves to help us out anyhow!" Summer Field remarked.

"Ok how's 'bout you get comfy with your friends, and I'll bring y'all some menus!"

"Much appreciated madam!" Beset nodded in thanks.

"Zo Vuut's the verd captain?" Glockenspiel asked, one eyebrow raised!

"Order something filling Glocks', we have some chores to do!"

"Since when is doing chores a part of 'our' mission commander, if you don't shape up you can say goodbye to the generous stipend we're offering you!" Lieutenant Flanagan hissed, in a low muted tone.

"You need your intell; right lieutenant; and we all need money for well I don't know maybe food, so suck it up!" Beset whispered back, mimicking his tone!

"Keep it up commander, and you won't like where it takes you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train barrelled down the track with a great urgency, the usual rattle turning into a flurry of bumps, forcibly constrained the bulk of passengers to there seats, holding on as if their lives depended on it. The conductor, including the stoker ponies, were among the exceptions. They were conscripted by the Princess of Friendship to expedite the trip. Twilight as a practiced mare of mathematics, had worked on how fast the train could feasibly travel, without coming off the tracks. Taking into account the sharpness of corners, various average wind speeds, as well as; for good measure; the length, height and width of the train. In the end, no pony was maimed or killed in this endeavour.... So that was in Twilights favour; what made her rethink her idea was the vast sea of grumpy, hostile ponies, that flooded out of the train, meeting her upon their arrival! It was enough to make the young princess shelf her ideas on the locomotive industry.

"Twilight darling, did we really have to go that fast?" Rarity questioned, stress marks apparent on her otherwise pristine face.

"I'm sorry Rarity, I just needed to keep my mind occupied!"

"Hey lay off her Rars; that ride..... was........so.......epic! I was totally on the edge of my seat, the whole way!" Rainbow Dash gushed!

Pinkie Pie raddled out of the coach, in a reverberating motion, a series of short undulating jumps was all she could manage, after such a shaky ride. "Maaaybbbee aaaa liiittllllee ttoooo faaaasstt!" The pink mare said, her words as jittery as her vibrating movements.

"Hey y'all, I'm gonna need a hoof or two!" Applejack called out.

With hurried strides, the five mares re-entered the trains cabin, only to see Fluttershy sitting upright, and clinging to a plush chair. A permanent look of sheer terror, was etched onto her face. She sat there unblinking, and unmoving ever since the train had stopped. Just looking at the mare, she had most likely been in that position, for most of the trip. The only signs of life was her chest heaving, and falling every other second.

"Hey sugercube, ya ok?" Applejack asked, as she tentatively took a few probing steps forward.

"YepI'mfiiiine!!!!" The quite, meek voice of the yellow pegasus, offered little comfort to her friends.

"Are ya sure Fluttershy, you don't seem fine?" Twilight remarked, her head half cocked.

"NoooI'mfiiiiiine!" she said, in a half squeak.

"Ummm, she ain't blinking, or movin' girls" Applejack said, regarding the paralyzed mare. The cowmare waved a hoof in front of Fluttershy, and gauged the timid mares nonexistent reaction! "She really doesn't seem ok!"

"I'mmmfiiiinnne!"

"Ok, that's enough of that! AJ you grab her left side, and I'll grab her right, we'll yank her out!" Rainbow Dash proclaimed, as the two mares got into position, preparing to remove the timid mare from her seat.

"Alright, on three. One, two, three...." Applejack announced. Sounds of grunts, wheezes, and panting filled the cabin. "Dang, she's really wedged in there!"

"She can't hold on forever AJ, one more try ok! Hey Twi, can you help us with your magic?" Rainbow asked.

"Ya ok, on three girls. One, two, and THREE!" Twilight hollered.

Again more peculiar sounds of grunting, gasping, and wheezing echoed out from the trains cabin. The conductor stood a car lengths back, alongside the stoker ponies! Confused, uneasy looks adorned their features, as they listened to the muddled, and compromising noises. All of a sudden, a loud bang erupted from the cabin, it was followed by audible breaking, and ripping noises. This caused the rail worker ponies to visibly flinch, their haggard states precluding any, and all rational thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, if one was to conclude that ponies were cowards, it would be a unfair approximation. There have been a plethora of brave individuals across history, all willing to sacrifice life and limb for the safety of Equestria. However the majority of the national citizens weren't military trained, and most ponies are a bit skittish by nature. When faced with scary, or unnerving situations, ponies would usually do one of two things, they would ether flee (usually in a irrational panic), or faint, when left to there own devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seconds after the eerie sounds came from the train, one of the coaches chairs containing a panicky yellow mare, flew out of the door. A look of pure dread was plastered on the mares face, as she slowly rotated towards the conductor, and his associates. Their jaws dropped as creepy sounds of slow, deep breaths, eminent out of the yellow pegasus, and without warning, a disturbingly quiet high pitched scream erupted out of the mare; it's shrill sound echoing out meany meters from her precarious perch. "II'MMMFFIIIIIINNE!!" The two stoker ponies fainted... Immediately.

After the seat emerged from the cabin, princess Twilight exited the couch, a few feet abaft of the telekinetically suspended chair, a purple glow encompassing it. If her irritation wasn't clear in her stride, then the 'don't fuck with me look', would of given away her temperament.

"This is ours now. Here!" The princess declared, while tossing a substantial bag of bits to the conductor.

Applejack, as well as Rainbow Dash, followed close behind their irksome friend. Their eyes half lidded, and heads hung low in a look of ceremonious defeat. 'It's like our first running of the leaves all over again!' Rainbow Dash thought to herself.

One last slight scream could be heard, as the six mares steeped off the trains landing.

"OkkaayyyyI'mmffiiiinne!" Fluttershy yelled softly!

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, well I know it has been awhile since I uploaded another chapter, all I can say is that my summers are pretty hectic and I couldn't find the time.

Ok so I did a bit of character development with sunset shimmer and I think it worked out ok. We just don't see enough of what makes that woman tick, and I say woman because she is obviously far older then they portray her as in the movies. Similarly in the movies they needed to progress the plot (no pun intended), so diving deeper into there character can be difficult! That is why I believe litterateur is now and still one of mankinds greatest accomplishments, but back to the subject at hoof. Sunset was presented in the show with one of the deepest and complex characterizations possible, and that was within the first fifteen to twenty minutes. I have my own personal ideas for this character, that may not fit tightly into canon but at the very least it could be plausible.

I have also tried to move my wayward group of commandos into a more active roll, they do have a lot to do with moving the story forward, even if it isn't entirely apparent yet. I had a loose idea to how I wanted them to interact with other ponies but I am mainly just winging it to there relationships! I guess I just want to keep things as natural as possible when it comes to there interactions.

So I just saw the my little pony movie! Took my daughter and I'm glad we have a common ground that we can enjoy together. I loved the fact that they both expanded the universe and took the main focus off the ponies. I heard a quote from Dawn Somewhere almost a year ago on his YouTube channel he mentions that in the beginning of the show it focuses on small ponies in a big world and then as the seasons progressed it became more like big ponies in a small world! I'm glad they went back to basics and I am also happy they put the spotlight back onto the main characters!

Ok I've babbled on for long enough! Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment