• Published 10th Apr 2017
  • 369 Views, 0 Comments

The return of the seventh shadow, The Lunar Eclipse - OnASeaOfDreams



With Sunset Shimmer and her friends forced into hiding will the true threat to the land of Equestria emerge!

  • ...
 0
 369

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Fort Riley Military Base, Kansas, USA

Active mission log April 02, 2019; 0800

Commander Richard Amaliar aka Commander Beset reporting

My team has been hired by a small off shoot agency of DARPA (the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency), a small section has been devoted to house a specialized project. Details on this project have been kept classified, but they are in need of a recon team.

Mission Objectives: unknown

Team members: Technical Expert Jerry Scythe aka Locks, Communications Expert Amanda Reader aka Ametrine , Ballistics Expert & Sniper, Bailey Dowinder aka Hoper, Heavy Weapons Expert, Anatoly Galisticoff aka Glockenspiel.

"At attention, I want this briefing to go smoothly; we are professionals remember that! I'm looking at you Locks!" The commander ordered.

"Yes sir!" His team collectively shouted.

"I expect everyone ship shape, and ready to head out by 0900hrs! Is that clear squad!"

"Nova Squad Hurrah," Hoper yelled, "HURRAH!!"

The commander then turned to leave, but was stopped by, a expected question!

"Commander, what gives? Normally we're briefed before hand, and why are we at half crew?" Locks asked, with more then a hint of sarcasm, radiating from his voice.

"Locks, as I said before, the mission details will be discussed with us 'as' needed! Until then, this is classified as a simple recon mission! I'd love to fill you in more, but they are keeping me in the dark with this one!" Commander Beset stated in a wary but authoritative tone!

"Yes sir.... But I still don't like it."

"I know... consider it noted and logged."

He knew the question begged to be asked, his crew rarely went in blind to a job, and never with such a small crew. There were times where keeping the team in the dark was key, but they trusted him. Now he wasn't asking them to trust him, they had to put there trust into the bases commanding officer! It didn't sit well with anyone. It was a lot of money, and passing it up would of been idiotic, especially in piece time. Still though, if it went awry he'd scrub the mission, he owed his team that much!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ten hut," a solider shouted

"At ease men!" A man walked in, wearing the insignia of a lieutenant commanders rank. He was followed by a woman in civilian clothes, and skin of the darkest ebony.

"Alright men, you have been hand picked by the General himself, and though I don't like outsiders, he feels you are necessary!" The lieutenant sneered!

"My name is lieutenant commander Flanagan. I will be taking charge of you men, if there is any problem with that then LEAVE NOW! If you choose to stay, then you CHOOSE to go ahead with this mission until it's completion. Is that understood!"

"What! That was not the arrangement!" Commander Beset said.

"Well if it doesn't agree with you then by all means, the door is right behind you."

The commander stayed silent.

"Look, all I can say is you will not be going into hostile territory, and the only real dangers you will be facing, is your own stupidity."

"Alright we're in!" The commander said in a solemn voice.

"Ok then, now that we've got that out of the way, this is Crystal Palapaya, and she will be going over the details to this mission. Please leave your questions until the end!" Scoffed the lieutenant, making his distain for the private squad know!

Crystal's breaths were deep and long as she stepped forward. Gathering herself took a few noticeable second, but her eyes eventually shoot forward to the expectant soldiers. Her stare was more intense then they had anticipated, and her emerald eyes bore through them, like fire through paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the predetermined path set before it, the train rattled down the iron rails to the ivory city. With the turning of gears, and the burning of coal, it raced up the mountain to Equestria's grand capital.

The sun was low in the sky when the trio disembarked the train, the fresh spring wind blew through the two mares manes, and rustled there fur gently, as though greeted by a kindly affectionate host. Spike true to form emerged from the cabin, wiping the sleep from his eyes and stifling out a all to familiar yawn. A pair of guards approached the group, one a earth pony, the other a pegasus, they stood tall and proud as the low light shimmered off their bronze armour.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle, we have been sent to escort you to the palace!" The two sentries bowed!

"Why thank you.... Ummm?" Twilight exclaimed, in a prodding manner.

"First Lieutenant Iron Hoof miss, and my college, Second Lieutenant Fetcher Rain!" The earth pony proudly stated.

"Thank you for meeting us, we would like to go to the castle right away!" The Princess said in a firm authoritative tone!

The walk was not far from the station, as the tracks had been ingeniously maneuvered to let out near the castle grounds. From there it was only a short but brisk jaunt to the castle. Once there the troop was led to the throne room. Hesitating, Twilight stopped just short of the grand entree way, with a breath she slowly turned around to face Her two companions, closing her eyes she mentality gathered herself before addressing Starlight and Spike.

"Starlight, Spike, I hate to ask, and you know I would never ask unless I thought it was absolutely necessary, but could you two give me this time with Princess Celestria?" A sigh escaped her lips, "I need to see her on my own... Not that I don't think you two couldn't help, and certainly not because I don't want you two there; I just need too see her on my own and, and..."

"Hey it's ok Twi, you don't have to explain. We'll meet up with you later ok!" The young dragon said in understanding.

"Ya, besides I'm starving, and I've always wondered what kind of cuisine the castle kitchen has to offer!" Starlight continued.

"Oh your going to love it, I'll show you the way. You know, I know this castle inside and out. I'm kinda a expert!" Spike exclaimed while smugly raising his eyebrows, and leaning closely to Starlight; his arms crossed!

"Think they would make us some nachos? Oh and a three bean dip?" The mare unicorn asked, eyes wide it anticipation!

"Thanks for understanding"

"Don't worry about that Twilight. We'll meet up with you after!" Starlight said as she walked over to her friend, giving her a hug...

Twilight stood there for a moment, watching her friends walk away. A certain sense of pride filled her as she watched them playfully banter back and forth. What great strides Starlight had come, the anxiety and fear that overtook her a few short years ago, has all but vanished, and she didn't have any trouble warming up to anypony she meet. Her number one assistant was also so much different. 'They talk to each other like a brother and sister would. Like Shining and I do!' She thought to herself, beaming with confidence and pride!

She turned back towards the throne room doors, a new sense of confidence in her steps, with a single node to her escorts the mare trotted forward, and slowly entered the room. As the studious mare made her egress, she began slowing her stride as she saw her former teacher within, her back turned to Twilight as she crafted her ancient spell.

The warm light of the day had elapsed over the horizon when the princess of friendship walked in. The Celestial princesses horn was still a glow with it's mystical energy, in a masterful display; more reminiscent of a slow, and graceful waltz then the crafting of a spell; as she put the sun to sleep for yet another day! Her head then turned in a slow graceful arc, and with a upwards pull of her horn the solar mare made the moon arise from the opposing horizon. Once the ballot was over, and the light of Celestria's horn faded, she turned to see the Lavender mare gazing upon her, with a look of awe and veneration.

A smile crept onto the white Alicorns face, eyes shining with mirth, but a hint of something else shined through her warm expression! Twilight saw a glint of another emotion, so almost unrecognizable, that if she didn't know the Princess so well, it could of been easily missed.

"Hello my most faithful student!" Celestria greeted.

"Princess Celestria!" Twilight said, her stance quickly becoming a bow.

"Oh Twilight, how many times must I ask you to simply call me Celestria?"

Standing to her full height the young Alicorn wore a playful smirk! "Possibly as many times as you've addressed me, as your faithful student!" Twilight said, while raising a single eyebrow to the princess of the sun!

"Ummm possibly," Celestria said, her face lighting up, into a genuine smile! "I wish we could meet under more pleasant circumstances, but I am in need of your assistance my dearest Twilight!" She exclaimed, her expression quickly becoming one of worry and concern!

"Yes, I read your letter, and I will do everything I can to help!"

"Thank you Twilight! Walk with me, and I will tell you everything I know!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Right, listen up and come with me!" Crystal said, as she lead the squad, and lieutenant deeper into the base.

"Everything you are about to see, is privileged information. If at any point this information is leaked, then you will be found guilty of treason!" The lieutenant said once they reached the next room. "Now, we require all of you to sign this document, saying you understand everything so far!" He stated, while passing out forms and pens to the platoon.

Most grabbed the stationary angrily, jotting down something that could be construed as a signature, while the commander and Ametrine took the few minutes to read the papers before begrudgingly signing them!

"Hey lady, this is all well and good, but paperwork really? Are they going to start sending armies of lawyers, and securities into hostel environments now?" Hoper asked, her sarcasm and annoyance apparent, in her tone.

"Oh zust sign it Bail, I can alvedy feel my hair durning grey on dis Von!" Glockenspiel jived at his comrade.

"Let's move it along already." The lieutenant said, while pointing at a service elevator across the room.

'The emerald eyed woman continued her speech as we followed her into the obscenely large elevator. During the short ride up Crystal gave the bullet points of the mission to us. We were to infiltrate an alien country, assess there capabilities, culture, and resources before my squad would report back to the base. I'm not sure if the look on my face was appropriate for the conversation, or for my station as commander, but my nose scrunched up in disbelief anyways, as I stared at the woman.'

"I'm sorry mam, I had something crazy in my ear, could you repeat what you said about which country we'd be going to?" The confusion still apparent on Besets face.

"I said alien, as in not of this earth commander!" She repeated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn arises as it always has, with a gentle beam of light, drenching all that it touches with its brilliance! The darkness would scatter, and hide deep within the earth, to wait once again for the fading of the light. The Solar princess knew the cycle, for it was more a part of her then the rain was of the clouds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight mimicked my stride, as we walked down the hall the previous night. Guards in tow, and destination unknown to the element of magic! 'I'm glad you came Twilight, Luna is in some type of magically induced sleep, and I am afraid my dear sister has erected some type of barrier, to keep me out. I can only assume she did not have you in mind during the creation of such a ward.' I said to my dearest friend and protégée.

'I have been practicing my dream walking over the last few months Celestria, and I'm confident; barring any protection spells; I'll be able to enter Princess Luna's dreams, and wake her up! Not to say that if there is a barrier that I couldn't, in fact I know multiple ways of collapsing spells like the ward you speak of, one way of course is....' That enthusiastic mare could've continued for hours if I let her, but I had to raise a hoof to my the dear friend. 'Twilight it's ok, I trust you know what you are doing, but it is getting late. If it is all the same to you, we should get are rest before attempting anything!' I said to her.

'Alright Princess, I will meet you tomorrow morning!' Twilight agreed, while giving me a compassionate look!

'Good night Twilight.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your highness, we're glad you are here!" Nurse Odessa Heart said, while giving a sidelong gesture to the doctor, Princess Twilight, Starlight and Spike!

"Hello nurse, has everypony been briefed to what is happening today?"

"Yes, we have filled in Princess Sparkle to our part of the proceedings!" Dr. Hailstrong recapped out loud to the regal Princess. "With your blessings, we are ready to start when you are."

"Yes my dear doctor, please allow me to have a quick word with my fellow Princess first." She said with a kindly smile.

"Yes your majesty!" The royal doctor said, before leaving to converse with his staff.

As the pair headed to their makeshift station, Princess Celestria eagerly turned her attention to Twilight. Her hoof falls were slight, and meagre, but placed with purpose!

"Are you ready Twilight?" Celestria stated assuringly.

"Oh yes, we went over everything last night! I will enter Luna's dreams, and at any sign of trouble Star... Umm, Starlight, what are you doing?" Twilight blathered out mid-sentence. A confused look dawned on her face as she noticed her companion hovering over the sleeping silhouette of Luna, her hoof moving aside the sheets, that partially hide the alicorns face.

"I don't know exactly..? She just seems so familiar!"

"Well ya, Starlight it's princess Luna; ya know Princess of the night; you've meet her before you know!" Spike announced in a sarcastic tone!

"Yes Spike I'm aware of that. What I mean is that, she seems familiar like I meet her in a past life, if that makes any sense?" The mare said, with a almost dumbfounded look on her face!

"Starlight Glimmer, if you cannot preform your task, I am more then capable of taking over my little pony!" Princess Celestria offered.

"Oh no it's fine, I'm really ok! I just had a strange feeling like I meet her long ago!" Starlight said, as she gave her head a dismissive shake, before stepping away from the sleeping princess. "Sorry, so as you were saying, if anything goes wrong, I'll be able to pull her out, and with relative ease."

"We have studied the spells at length, and I believe we've covered every contingency that may arise!" Twilight said reassuringly. "This new device of the doctors will come in handy. The medical staff should be able to track my progress! In fact doctor Hailstorm has already scanned me, so he can properly track my separate energy signature!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There comes a time when every domino is set up, you just have to tip the first one over! The more complex the arrangement, the more chances it won't work out quite the way you wanted it too! Spells have the same complex nature, and always differ from pony to pony. The caster of a spell always puts a little bit of theirselves into the magic; it wouldn't work otherwise; and every taught spell changes from generation to generation, much like language, grammar, and hidden social queue's.

Twilight was a rare pony indeed! Her mind was keen, and her heart was pure! Although even she had difficulty learning from the displaced lunar mare. As Luna's student, Twilight learned by mentally placing herself out of her own time, and a step out of beat with the normalcy of her reality! She did this by using the imagery from her years of studying the great ancient tomes of the Canterlots archives; but as talented as she was, the vicissitude that challenged her was unlike anything her academic mind had ever faced. The raw magic's that Luna taught her were intensive; in some cases even beyond Celesta herself; but the element of magic drank in all of it, like a well aged nectar!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a flash of pure lavender light, Twilights eyes turned white and a tendril of magic reached out to the middle of Luna's forehead! She laid still, in a bed provided by the medical staff, as the mystical life line stretched out from Twilight to Luna! Sensors dotted the lunar mares forehead, attaching to a strange looking monitor, and three separate beeping sounds filling the silence. All eyes now rested on the pair of alicorns, as Dr Hailstrong checking the connections, giving his nod of approval.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alabaster gargoyles grazed under the starlight, while the wild fuchsia and orange logs rolled majestically up the nonexistent hillside. Twilight woke up, in the sweet milk river that flowed downstream from the pegasus constellation. The Alicorn blinked several times before seeing a rope dangling above her. She grasped it with her fore hooves, and became reeled up sharply by a totem pole wielding a rather large fishing rod. Now to say the princess of friendship was confused would be a bit of a understatement, but having experienced the short and memorable reign of the spirit of chaos himself, this seamed like just a annoyance to her!

"DISCORD!!!" A ever maddening Twilight shouted out to the heavens.

"Why is that you Twilight, now what kind of deliciously obtuse pickle have you gotten yourself into now?" The spirit of disharmony said, with a merry chuckle!

"I should of known you had something to do with this!" She scoffed to the disembodied voice.

"Oh contrair, mine frair! This is rather amusing, but it's news to me. I regrettably don't have power over dreams, that is Luna's domain!"

"If that's the case, then where are you?"

"Oh I'm relaxing in my humble pocket dimension, on a coach made of roasted tortilla shells! The view is excellent from here, but before you get any crazy ideas the answer is no; I cannot help you!" The draconaqious stated in his usual manner.

"And why not?" Asked Twilight, irritation clear in her voice!

"It's really a long winded explanation, with many, many complex equations and overly boring diagrams. All of which I would rather not get into! Why I would sooner shred myself through a cheese grater, and trust me, I'll never do that again!"

"Fine then what in Celestrias name do you want Discord?" The purple mare asked, still dangling from the makeshift fishing line.

"Well just because I can't come to your rescue, doesn't mean I can't talk you through this; think of me as your own personal mismatched animal guide. Now do you see the migratory slices of cheese flying above you?"

"Yes"

"Fly up to them, and follow the gouda to the 24hr clock!"

Every fibre in Twilights body screamed not to listen to the trickster spirt, but despite her overwhelming cynicism she did as Discord said; mumbling how she would live to regret it, under her breath. The flight took a ominous tone, as images of the Lunar mare flashed before her. A powerful sense of dread washed over the Alicorn, as images of warning erupted all around her!

"Ignore it Twilight!" Discords voice announced, shaking her from her fixated state.

"This is just Luna's subconscious, warding you away!"

A never ending stream of frightening perceptions, ingrained onto Twilights thoughts! As she pushed forward, doubt, misery and fear ran into the mind of the intruding mare, as flashes of real pain chipped away at her spirt. Her heart was entangled in a deluge of nightmares, so foreign to Twilight that there mere ideology strained her sense of reality, threatening to consume her psyche. Even as her logically mind threatened to unravel upon itself, Twilight pushed forward, and just looking at the Alicorn, one could tell her own Id and ego where tearing each other apart. Piece, by piece, Twilights mental image started to fade into the dreamscape, until she was only recognizable as a ghostly apparition.

"Twilight Sparkle, you may want to pull yourself together, quite literally!" Discord announced as his voice echoed around her.

"You have reached the clock."

"Yes... I.... See..... It!" The faded image of Twilight said.

"Ok, now turn the minute hand back, as far as it will go."

The element of magic, hoovered in front of the massive clock. Focusing herself, she began to regaining a modicum of her former physical appearance, and she pushed against the smaller clock hand! While almost phasing through the solid item multiple times, the foreboding images started to assault her subconscious once again, but with a determination rarely ever encountered in ponykind, Twilight managed to push the clock hand back to it's resting place.

The clock phased out of existence, collapsing into a blackhole, which drew the unsuspecting alicorn in with a addable slurping noise.

"Good luck Twilight, I can't guide you any further, but you are almost there!" Discord whispered into her mind as the purple mare was sucked away into the darkness

Author's Note:

Ok, hey everyone! Sorry I hadn't written a note in the first chapter, I just was excited to get my story up. Anyhow this is really one of the first stories I've written, so if you have any comments, I would appreciate hearing them! Constructive criticism is always welcome! This story does have a long way to go, but I have charted it out, and I am determined to write it!

I hope you enjoyed it, and I look forward to hearing from you!